Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    Wasn't intending to run tonight. I went into Base2Race after work to Buy a 'stick'

There was two left when I was in there earlier, don't tell me you bought the blue one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

mrslow wrote: »
    There was two left when I was in there earlier, don't tell me you bought the blue one?

I think I may have. There was only one out and I grabbed it before having a look at the shoes.

I think I may have. There was only one out and I grabbed it before having a look at the shoes.

They're both good but the red one is shorter and it's easier to pinpoint pressure, they'll swap it out for you I'm sure.

They're both good but the red one is shorter and it's easier to pinpoint pressure, they'll swap it out for you I'm sure.

Both Brian and the Shop guy told me the blue one was the shorter one :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Tonights plan was to meet a group at UCD track for 400m repeats. I was never really going to do much speedwork myself but had been expecting 3 people targetting a sub 50 minute 10k, so I had planned to coach them round a few 400m reps at 7 min/mile.

Anyways none of the 3 turned up* due to varying excuses so it was just me and Brian, we decided that a nice little recovery run would be more in order given yesterdays marathon. So we did a few laps of the pitches, then a few laps of the track.

I was there as well around 7:45 but the sole of my feet got a terrible battering on that concrete in Salthill and even a running track was too hard. Moved to grass after a few minutes and I coped OK with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Both Brian and the Shop guy told me the blue one was the shorter one :confused:

I showed you the red one yesterday and said it was the shorter one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

On Sunday, there was a long discussion about this in the Papal Cross car park.

Mr S had the red one and Digger had the blue. Red is for the legs and blue for the back as we all had a go.

I showed you the red one yesterday and said it was the shorter one

Oh really? Anyways, it was the only one they had so I grabbed it. Then I got distracted by the shoes :rolleyes:

chinguetti wrote: »

Mr S had the red one and Digger had the blue. Red is for the legs and blue for the back as we all had a go.

Well the blue one seemed to do a good enough job on my calfs this evening so I am happy enough,and given that I often get a bit of back pin, it is probably best for me.

Anyways bro enough of your lurking on everyone else's log. when are you gonna get your own? :pac:

mithril wrote: »
    I was there as well around 7:45 but the sole of my feet got a terrible battering on that concrete in Salthill and even a running track was too hard. Moved to grass after a few minutes and I coped OK with that.

I wasn't talking about you. Yeah, the muscles seem a bit frayed from the concrete but I'm not too bad. We were gone before 7:30 so we wouldn' have seen you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Anyways bro enough of your lurking on everyone else's log. when are you gonna get your own? :pac:

I tried to convince him to start one the other day in the car but he was having none of it.

I tried to convince him to start one the other day in the car but he was having none of it.

He's gonna write a book instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

He's gonna write a book instead.

I presume you and meno will do the reading and pass on the pearls!

claralara wrote: »
    I presume you and meno will do the reading and pass on the pearls!

I believe Digger is the one with pearls on offer :eek:

Sorry fans, i won't be opening a log of my running adventures. I've written a book (really i have and i coloured it in too!) and thats enough.

Anyway i'm going for the 'man of mystery' thing on yer logs. What point is someone doing a log with no garmin, ye all talk in code about laps and splits and stuff.

I just run and time it.

I just run and time it.

Even old man Digger has a Garmin M!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You were playing with mrslows and diggers sticks?

I wasn't able for speed work on Tuesday so this was always going to my only speed session of the week. met up with Woddle at his house and jogged up to Marlay Park to the 1k loop by the house.
    The plan was 5 x 1k loops @ goal 5k pace with 2-3 minutes rest. Goal pace is 3:48 per lap.

The splits were:
    3:38
    3:42 (171 av, 182 max)
    3:43 (171 av, 180 max)
    3:45 (171 av, 182 max)
    3:45 (171 av, 182 max)

Really pleased with this. Despite the usual desires to quit after 3, it was actually more comfortable, faster and a lower HR than the 6 x 800's last week. I can already see the benefits of a few speed sessions.

Total for the day: 6.4 miles

WTD: 4 Runs 41.6 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|21/28|145.5
    Total|96/118|886.9

Even old man Digger has a Garmin M!

Tis a wind up clock and he's not that old, is he?

Really pleased with this. Despite the usual desires to quit after 3, it was actually more comfortable, faster and a lower HR than the 6 x 800's last week.

Hello? What about puking, not having the energy to spit and tears? Do as I say but not as I do, I see!

• Advertisement

Hello? What about puking, not having the energy to spit and tears? Do as I say but not as I do, I see!

I had a fair bit of sick in my mouth at the end of every rep horse ;)

The 2nd last rep, I was doubled over after for at least a minute.

As I say, i noticed they were a fair bit more comfortable than last week :pac:

I had a fair bit of sick in my mouth at the end of every rep horse ;)

Yummy, were there lumps?
    The 2nd last rep, I was doubled over after for at least a minute.

Only a minute, c'mon man stop slacking :P

Tis a wind up clock and he's not that old, is he?

Met him for coffee the other day and there was a definite scent of liver salts in the air! :)

There were two purposes to this run. A nice recovery run after yesterdays 1k reps and to get me up to 150 miles for the month. This is by far the lowest mileage month of the year despite an ultra and a marathon in there. Hope to get back to 200 mile months in May.

4.7 miles
    @ 9:05 pace (HR 136). This doubled up perfectly as a Pacing paced run for Sunday. My legs are feeling great, so much better than this time last week. I'd say it's in no small part down to the fact I've been getting loads of sleep. Really looking forward to Sundays pacing job in Limerick now.

WTD: 5 Runs 46.3 miles

Despite the lack of mileage This month, with sundays marathon this is going to be my longest mileage week ever.

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/29|150.2
    Total|97/119|891.6

I got down to Limerick With Aimman and RQ on saturday afternon and after doing a 2 hour stint on the pacers stand we went off for a meeting and then a bite to eat with the other pacers. We decided it would be no harm to have a few drinks with and after dinner. Anyways, at about 11pm and after about 5 beers I placed the first of a few bets that night with Brianderunner. He was pacing the half to 1:40 and me the full to 4hrs. we both decided on a goal time (1:39:30 for him and 3:59:20 for me) and bet on who would get closest :pac:

I didn't sleep too well that night with the noise in the hotel from the travellers wedding, but that was no big deal as I never do the night before a race. Got up, had a bit of breakfast and we were up at the start line by 8:20 to stick on balloons and have a chat with the runners.
    The race itself went grand. Myself and Kandikane had a nice little group of about 25 running with us and it looked like we would get most of them home. when we reached mile 20 there was a hill and one of the local runners assured us it was the last one of the course :rolleyes: so we encouraged the group up the last hill nice and slowly, ensuring them it was all flat from there. Unfortunately there were two more biggish hills (at Thomond park Mile 22 and the Gaelic Grounds Mile 24) so the pacees must have been cursing us for lying. We lost about half the group on mile 22 and the rest on the last hill. We did manage to pick up some stragglers however and bring them on to Sub 4 finishes. As I was going up the finish straight I realised I had some seconds to spare so turned, running backwards and then slowed to walk, all the while shouting encouragement to the people finishing behind. Carefully I crossed the line just as my watch told me was the right moment:

26.3 miles in 3:59:21. The official result is 3:59:20 :pac: Brain was delighted to show me his stopwatch when he crossed the line (1:39:32 by the watch- his official time is 1:39:34) but I was more then happy to give him the bad news- unlucky son, nice try :p

A great night was had by all afterwards as usual. Metmaorphosis, Brain, RQ, Xebec, Aimman, Lacheile, Oisin, Kandikane myself and a few others made our best efforts at drinking the whole city dry:pac:

Weekly total: WTD: 6 Runs 72.6 miles
    Longest ever mileage week and I'm supposed to be doing 5k training :rolleyes:

Monday 2nd May
    3.2 miles recovery jog along the canal. Legs (and head) fel fine. I should be good for speedwork tomorrow

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|2/2|29.5
    Total|99/122|921.1

Met up with Aimman, Vaggabond, Digger, Perkina, Claralara and RK at UCD for tonights session. We were all doing 400's at different paces and different amount of reps. The session went great today. I had been worried I had lost all speed when I did this a fortnight ago. Then it went:
    Anyway splits (max HR) were: 83 (178) 84 (181), 86 (180), 87 (180) 88 (180) 88 (180).

Tonight the splits (max HR) were: 79 (170), 83 (176), 82 (180), 81 (179), 81 (179), 82 (178), 80 (179).
    Not only were the intervals much faster, the Max HR is quite a bit lower. I had to hold myself back on the first two as I was going close to 5 min/mile pace for the first 250m. All the Av paces are faster than 5:30. The last rep has actually the fastest/mile pace (5:16) despite being a bit slower than the first- I had to run a bit wider to pass a few people.

Really delighted with the session overall.

Total for the day: 4.1 miles

WTD: 2 runs 7.3 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|3/3|33.6
    Total|100/123|925.2

Good man on that session. Must just remember to follow you in the Donore 5k and get that PB:D

You doing the Leixlip 5?

Good man on that session. Must just remember to follow you in the Donore 5k and get that PB:D

You doing the Leixlip 5?

Nope. Thinking of not racing at all until the Donore race, though the lure of the sportsworld 5 miler might be too much.....

You not racing for a month? Next you'll tell me that you off the drink for a month:)

Technically as you are pacing in Wexford you are racing so 3 weeks, are you mad

• Advertisement

Next you'll tell me that you off the drink for a month:)

I'll let you know the next time I stay off the drink for a day :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement