Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Ok so I'm really starting from scratch, it's been a while since I've worked out, a long while. While I have done I intensive training before (with Damien Maher), I'm overweight and big time out of shape. Is east cost barbell suitable for beginners? To be honest it looks like exactly what I need but it speaks about being a centre for people who are serious about their training, so are they not going to want someone like me dragging the level of the gym down, or am I being ridiculous?

Thanks guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Being serious about your training, and being at a high level are completely different things... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

or am I being ridiculous?

Thanks guys.

You are.
    They have beginners weightlifting classes and will not be turning away business.

To answer your original question, my mate goes to ravens, it seems a grand gym. Reasonably well equipped but it depends on what you want to do.
    You won't get the coaching/support there.

I would suggest that if you go to ECB, you might just find that your gym work becomes a hobby/sport which will help you stick to it and make it interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Maars wrote: »

To add to the list, if it's not already on there, I give you East Coast Barbell in Bray.

Apart from weightlifting the gym is used by a lot of athletes from various sports for strength and conditioning work. I wasn’t exposed to this aspect of the gym but the couple of sessions I witnessed seemed to focus on explosive movements/plyometric work and mobility(there is an in-house physio). Again there are a couple of coaches with specific skills in this area(Sami and Barry) who are constantly devising workouts, monitoring progress etc.

I've never tried ECB but I have used their physio before (not in ECB) and she is absolutely fantastic, so would definitely recommend it in that respect (even if it means that unfortunately she is not working in the clinic I go to anymore :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 East Coast Barbell

Ok so I'm really starting from scratch, it's been a while since I've worked out, a long while. While I have done I intensive training before (with Damien Maher), I'm overweight and big time out of shape. Is east cost barbell suitable for beginners? To be honest it looks like exactly what I need but it speaks about being a centre for people who are serious about their training, so are they not going to want someone like me dragging the level of the gym down, or am I being ridiculous?

Thanks guys.

Thanks for thinking of us. We welcome people of all training backgrounds and we coach complete beginners as well as high level athletes. When we refer to people who are serious about training, we mean people who are serious about attaining their goals, no matter what they are; we have people who want to put on weight, lose weight, get stronger, get faster, get healthier etc. Call our manager on 0858448423 if you want to come down and have a look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CuffAndLink

frag420 wrote: »
    I want to join a gym close to me at houston station or along luas redline(cantral part of line)

Has anyone any info on One Escape. I have heard it is rather expensive however it does have a pool and is convenient for me.

Is it worth it. I am going to have a look at the weekend but I would like some input from people who have used it or using it before I have a look.

cheers

frAg

Hi frAg,

how did you get on after? I'm at a bit of a loose end because of Total Fitness closing (used to be on my way to work in Blanchardstown), and am looking for somewhere with a swimming pool.
    1 escape looks good but a bit pricey alright. Am just living up the road from it.
    Am wondering if they are open to any level of haggling?

CuffAndLink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 THE BUL

alrite lads,

need a gym in the kildare town area that has a good weights setup, was a memebr of a really good gym with lots of weights but it suddenly closed last week ( ha ye obviously not that good). I need somewhere that i can get a summer or monthly membership. suggestions welcome. Preferably somewhere with a squat rack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ezzykelly

Hi All
    Anyone using the swan leisure centre in rathgar? Seems kind of sparse re gym equipment lots of cardio stuff though- they do alot of classes things like bodysculp and spinning as part of the membership which is good-have looked through the boards pages and noone has written up on it-has anyone anyone any experience of it or thoughts opinion on it?

My other option i suppose is RAW but at 400euro it's outside my remit and probably too far for me as going from work

Anysuggestions opinion re swan leisure or other gyms near rathgar?

Mucho mucho appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

ezzykelly wrote: »
    Anyone using the swan leisure centre in rathgar?

I presume you mean Rathmines? I think that's the only Swan Leisure.

I only used the gym once (a Sat afternoon), as I was curious about the place (new, modern facility).....very disappointing.

It's tiny....mostly cardio machines, decent range of dumbells, but no squat rack or even a barbell. I was there at a relatively quiet time, but even then I was struggling to find an area to train without nearly bumping into others. The pool was ridiculous, divided into two and overrun with kids. The place was very clean though.

It all depends on what you're looking for, but it would be a big no for me. I can't help you other recommendations in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

If any of our members or someone who has been down would like to post an impartial review of Ironside in Blackrock through the anonymous world of the internet. Mainly because we are always looking at things to improve and it would be great to get some feedback on what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Anyone used the gym here, what are the free weights section like? Normally train in Raw gym but will be up at the N.S this evening so if the place sounds decent enough wont bother going to Raw before hand??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fairlyfiery

Hi guys I am wondering has anyone been to the best western gym sheldon park in Dublin or Ben Dunne's Carlisle? They both cost the same for one year and I'd have to travel the same distance....so any feedback on either would be great :)

Sheldon is meant to be mediocre, My gf was in Carlisle and she said the place is fallin apart and the management do nothing about it, also the open pool in the center is supposed to make pretty uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dossier

Anyone used the gym here, what are the free weights section like? Normally train in Raw gym but will be up at the N.S this evening so if the place sounds decent enough wont bother going to Raw before hand??

Hiya Hannibal,

What was the story with the National Stadium? Is there a gym/free weights there and whats it like?

It's on my way home from work so would suit me down to the ground....

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

just joined the gym after a year and half of nomadic aerobics, walking around town, barbell lifting to lose weight...none of them worked.

The gym is Integral that used to be Westgate in Drogheda. The new owners have spent millions on it and as far as I can see they have a good mix of cardio and then the body builders section. good area for ladies to work out away from the men and the intimidating bb's.

The staff are really lovely and seem really excited by the new set up and owners. it's nice to see everyone smiling and not complaining about their job and employer. happened a lot in westgate or people just looked fed up working there.

the pool smelt great, I have yet to be in it. They have done up the sauna and steam room. Ex-westgaters may remember that the tiling came off in the steam room towards the end.

And so I am in pain right now as I am back to a good training schedule. Nothing like what it was when I was fit, but I WILL get back there :D

2 stone to lose and counting. wish me luck.

oh yeah, great offers on membership. student only 299, ex-westgaters get a good deal too, and i think for a normal person it's not too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Does anyone here train at StrongInBody in Ranelagh? I fired them an email, but would like to hear from any current members if there are any here...

Main thing is I'd be a relative beginner, but want to get serious about lifting, so would they cater for some one like myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Well, I went for a free trial in Carlisle in Kimmage today. I was less than impressed. The photo's don't fully match the place. In the photo's there were tv's for each treadmill which you could plug your earphones in but there isn't anymore. Just tv's on the wall with the channel muted.

I thought the place was too big and commercial looking and didn't like the fact the pool was in the middle, and anyone on the treadmills have full view of the pool.

Also, there are LOADS of weights, I think there is too much emphasis on the weights area (good if you're into that, but i'm not.

Just my 2 cents.

dossier wrote: »
    Hiya Hannibal,

What was the story with the National Stadium? Is there a gym/free weights there and whats it like?

It's on my way home from work so would suit me down to the ground....

Sorry for the late reply but yeah weights go up to 50kg db and have a decent set up for everything else, only thing is that its kind of small so if there are more than a couple people in it you will run into trouble but was pretty empty when i was there

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dossier

Sorry for the late reply but yeah weights go up to 50kg db and have a decent set up for everything else, only thing is that its kind of small so if there are more than a couple people in it you will run into trouble but was pretty empty when i was there

Thanks for replying, was away last few days. I managed to go for a look this evening but couldn't find the gym. Is it part of the boxing hall down the back because that doesn't seem to be open to the public? Or is it in the main building?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 musically challenged

My wife wants to learn how to run as part of a group of women, social and fun. No boot camps, don't want to be a widower. Is there anything like this in the Naas area?

Thanks In Advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wuzzles

Hi
    That sounds like something good to get involved in, I don't know if this is any help, I saw a group of women wearing pink bibs out running last wed evening along the caragh/sallins ring road. Maybe they will be out again this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ltc1987

Hello,

I tried to call Crunch Temple Bar to get see how much membership costs, but they wouldn't disclose over the phone. Same with Energie. Can anyone tell me how much it costs?? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭letsallgotothe

ltc1987 wrote: »
    Hello,

I tried to call Crunch Temple Bar to get see how much membership costs, but they wouldn't disclose over the phone. Same with Energie. Can anyone tell me how much it costs?? Thanks!

on the same note id like to know how much crunch in dun laoghaire costs and if they offer trial periods for people who want to test out the facilities first...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Hey.

Can someone let me know the cost of joining West Park in Tallaght,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I never understand why price is so important to some people???

If it suits you and you like the gym, whats the difference in €20 or so quid a month?

I'd rather spend more on a gym i use, that a bargain on a gym i can never get parking / machine in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Hey does anyone know what the price of Crunch in Westmanstown is these days? They are very hard to get information out of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I never understand why price is so important to some people???

If it suits you and you like the gym, whats the difference in €20 or so quid a month?

I'd rather spend more on a gym i use, that a bargain on a gym i can never get parking / machine in!

Yeah who even cares about money, right guys?

It's not like people have budgets or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

grimloch wrote: »
    Yeah who even cares about money, right guys?

It's not like people have budgets or anything.
    Yea totally, I'm like a member of four different gyms as they are close to my four different properties!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I'm thinking about joining Energie Fitness in Swords, does anyone know it it's any good? I mainly want to use free weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I'm thinking about joining Energie Fitness in Swords, does anyone know it it's any good? I mainly want to use free weights.

no rack, no bars when I went up to have a look at it around 3-4 months ago. However given the lack of any decent gyms in swords you may want to go up to see if it is the best of a bad bunch for you