Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

roashter wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good gym in south Dublin.
    I am currently in TF sandyford and my membership is expiring in a few days.

www.bhaf.ie - fantastic place to train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Layderkinn

Hey,

If your near Brewery Road I would consider Ironside Gym in Blackrock they are open next week. Its some set up by the looks of their facebook page pretty hardcore and all that.

No idea what their prices are like though.

Best of luck in your choice at least you'll have plenty in and around South Dublin to choose from think there is also a great set up out in Foxrock 'your fitess' or something like that.

Lay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

i have been in westwood in clontarf, slender health in raheny, crunch fitness in ucd and currently now in total fitness in clarehall. Got to say total fitness is by far my favourite gym, it has great equipment,friendly atmosphere and very very helpfull trainers. I paid 300 for the year as im a student which wasnt bad but its around 500-600 if your not a student. there is no doubt i will be a member there for a long long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tem

Can you reply to me if any personal trainers have an interest in renting time in a new gym....rates of between €250 - €300 per month, this will give you 24 hour access to the facility and welcome to bring as many clients as often as you want during the month. The facility located in south dublin will be a private facility fully equiped with weights, kettlebells, TRX suspension belts, medicine balls, ab balls, speed agility equip, punch bags etc etc...PT's will be allowed to run their client business from the facility taking away the headache of lease, fit out cost etc.

Please reply asap if interested as space will be limited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

i have been in westwood in clontarf, slender health in raheny, crunch fitness in ucd and currently now in total fitness in clarehall. Got to say total fitness is by far my favourite gym, it has great equipment,friendly atmosphere and very very helpfull trainers. I paid 300 for the year as im a student which wasnt bad but its around 500-600 if your not a student. there is no doubt i will be a member there for a long long time

how come you made all of your 18 posts on the day you joined, 26th February, all within the space of about an hour and a half, in random, completely unrelated threads. All of the comments were completely inane one-liners along the lines of "that's nice work there buddy"

EXCEPT from the comment above which has a bit more detail....

Also, the time you made the comments happens to be around the same time Total Fitness was getting a roasting on boards.

I wouldn't point this out, except that, if that's the best TF can come up with, I'm even more wary of ever joining the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I can say that Fitness Dock Camden Street is total crap.

Probably one of the worst gyms I've ever come across.

Staff are idiotic to say the least and the equipment is sub-par.
    Sure, there are lots of treadmills, but the weights section is small and ALWAYS in use by staff that are on their day off or lunch or whatever.

They've also taken that very American approach of trying to guilt you into not quitting.
    I explained perfectly adequate reasons for quitting, one of which was that I wasn't going to be living in the area anymore and there were closer places to me (that are better) and they were not nice or helpful.

After I quit, they kept taking the direct debit for 4 months until I noticed and I believe they would have kept going if I hadn't.
    Took them a while to get it back to me, but still.

Overall an awful experience there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Took the jump to Informed Performance this week.

Love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Poccington wrote: »
    Took the jump to Informed Performance this week.

Love it.

Which one are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Hanley wrote: »
    Which one are you?

I'm the bloke with a half sleeve Japanese style tattoo, failing miserably at pull ups. :pac:

Poccington wrote: »
    I'm the bloke with a half sleeve Japanese style tattoo, failing miserably at pull ups. :pac:

You just described half of IP....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

It's great to see a growing list of places offering useful, quality kit and informed, experienced staff.

To add to the list, if it's not already on there, I give you East Coast Barbell in Bray.

I've just completed the introductory weightlifting course(that’s snatch and clean & Jerk to the rest of us) and it really opened my eyes firstly to how hard these movements are to execute well and secondly just how strong the guys are who can execute them well. The coach on the course was Wayne Healy, a veteran of 2 world championships and for a man of scarcely 63kgs he has a squat that would humble most guys on here. Aside from his own lifting abilities Wayne has a great eye for spotting a mistake, so I kept him busy.

Apart from weightlifting the gym is used by a lot of athletes from various sports for strength and conditioning work. I wasn’t exposed to this aspect of the gym but the couple of sessions I witnessed seemed to focus on explosive movements/plyometric work and mobility(there is an in-house physio). Again there are a couple of coaches with specific skills in this area(Sami and Barry) who are constantly devising workouts, monitoring progress etc.

The facility itself has some great kit, a bunch of lifting platforms and squat cages. Bumper plates are everywhere and the bars are well maintained(i.e. no warping and the knurling has not been dulled). There's a good range of dumbbells, the obligatory prowler and sled as well as all the resistance bands and numerous torture devices for myofacial release. There's a great vibe in the place, more like a club than a gym, great support and respect for people who are training hard.

Oh and there's no mirrors, except a weird art-deco style one in the men's changing rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaherne

nice review maars

Was looking joining this place.

Did you have to workout to there program and at their set times or could you have gone down and trained your own program

Hi gaherne, The introductory course I did ran at a specific time (6.30 - 8ish Mondays and Wednesdays), but there were a couple of guys who couldnt get there before 7 and they were accommodated no problem. From what I could tell though once you sign up as a member then you train at the time that suits you; there is always at least one of the instructors there and I expect they will give as much or as little input as you like unless you are going to kill yourself. I guess the point is that when you join they will discuss your goals with you, whether that be lean muscle gain, increase your vertical jump or snatch your bodyweight and then they will design a program tailored to you to help you achieve that. So the goals are yours, the guys just want to help you achieve them.

I know g'em uses the place a lot and I see someone called East Coast Barbell has posted on a thread here today so perhaps they'll correct me if I have gotten anything wrong above.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Great review Maars :)
    gaherne wrote: »

Did you have to workout to there program and at their set times or could you have gone down and trained your own program

When you sign up with ECB the coaches will sit down with you and discus what your primary goals are and a tailor made program will be designed for you. You can come in and train at whatever time suits you and there's always a coach on site to watch over what you're doing.

We also have a Physio on site (more like a miracle worker tbh :p) who you get a free functional screening with and she'll tailor a prehab/rehab program for you to correct any imbalances that you have and you can get screenings periodically to see how thingsare progressing.

I've been a member there since it opened last summer and I really live it down there - like Maars said the vibe is fantastic, there's always great craic to be had and there's a lot of really talented people around so it's hard not to be inspired when you train there. There's a great mix of casual trainees and top end athletes but when you're out on the floor the only thing anyone cares about is putting in their best performance and pushing eachother as hard as we can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

I can say that Fitness Dock Camden Street is total crap.

Probably one of the worst gyms I've ever come across.

Staff are idiotic to say the least and the equipment is sub-par.
    Sure, there are lots of treadmills, but the weights section is small and ALWAYS in use by staff that are on their day off or lunch or whatever.

They've also taken that very American approach of trying to guilt you into not quitting.
    I explained perfectly adequate reasons for quitting, one of which was that I wasn't going to be living in the area anymore and there were closer places to me (that are better) and they were not nice or helpful.

After I quit, they kept taking the direct debit for 4 months until I noticed and I believe they would have kept going if I hadn't.
    Took them a while to get it back to me, but still.

Overall an awful experience there.

would have to agree - place has gone to the dogs. Equipment is crap, lockers all broken, changing rooms rotten, a lot of the staff members are rude and take over the gym when PT'ing or training themselves. Its dirty and smelly - only thing it has going is location.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

LOLA08 wrote: »
    I saw on westwood's website they are charging €1.66 a day. nothing said about joining fee.

Total Fitness S/F gone up to €682 a year. which i dont understand as i paid €525 just in Oct & thats a fair hike in price. will not be rejoining if its is not lowered.

I called into Westwood to enquire about membership. There is a 500 euro joining fee, and the membership is 75 euro a month (so annual subscription is 900 euro), so your first year's membership would be 1400 euro. An absolutely ridiculous price, who can afford to spend that on gym membership??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

zootroid wrote: »
    I called into Westwood to enquire about membership. There is a 500 euro joining fee, and the membership is 75 euro a month (so annual subscription is 900 euro), so your first year's membership would be 1400 euro. An absolutely ridiculous price, who can afford to spend that on gym membership??

You can usually barging them down on the joining fee, I got mine for €99 and have heard of someone who got it even cheaper (around €75 ish I think), but they will not budge on the monthly fee.

I was a member in Clontarf and went there 6 days a week. So for me the joining fee of €99 + (€75*12) €900 in monthly payments, total €999 worked out at €999 / 312 (number of visits, 52 * 6) = €3.20 / visit.

Which for the gym (large & decently equipped. Never had to wait for equipment, and I always went at peak times), pools, (mostly) free classes (I liked Spinning), and wet area, along with free parking, and lots of it if you use the over flow CP was well worth it IMO.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with WW what so ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

in fairness to WW, while it's expensive, you DO get alot of facilities for the price. And overall the facilities are good in Sandyford (though I'm not a massive fan of the weights area)

But the thing is, most people don't want to play tennis, go swimming, go to spinning classes, play football, play squash AND use the gym. Most just want one or two of those things. So you end up paying for alot of things you'll probably rarely use.

Staff in Sandyford are usually quite sound too

g'em wrote: »
    Great review Maars :)

When you sign up with ECB the coaches will sit down with you and discus what your primary goals are and a tailor made program will be designed for you. You can come in and train at whatever time suits you and there's always a coach on site to watch over what you're doing.

We also have a Physio on site (more like a miracle worker tbh :p) who you get a free functional screening with and she'll tailor a prehab/rehab program for you to correct any imbalances that you have and you can get screenings periodically to see how thingsare progressing.

I've been a member there since it opened last summer and I really live it down there - like Maars said the vibe is fantastic, there's always great craic to be had and there's a lot of really talented people around so it's hard not to be inspired when you train there. There's a great mix of casual trainees and top end athletes but when you're out on the floor the only thing anyone cares about is putting in their best performance and pushing eachother as hard as we can :)

Thanks gem

Emailed via the website and Barry got back to me straight away.
    Gonna pop down and have a look at the place this week

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Hey Guys!
    Any recommendations of gyms in Ranelagh or surrounding area (walking distance or on luas line)
    Basically looking for somewhere that has a squat rack, good free weights, bb bench press (not smith machine) not too bothered about machines.

• Advertisement

Hey Guys!
    Any recommendations of gyms in Ranelagh or surrounding area (walking distance or on luas line)
    Basically looking for somewhere that has a squat rack, good free weights, bb bench press (not smith machine) not too bothered about machines.

Raw is a class gym and nearby

http://www.rawcondition.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

gaherne wrote: »
    Raw is a class gym and nearby

http://www.rawcondition.com/
    Hey! cheers for the reply.
    Was in raw for a look around a couple a years ago and was impressed with the free weights etc but locker rooms/shower area was a kip.
    Has it changed, is it very busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

http://informedperformance.com/

Check out the above gym.Has great facilites and one of ,if not ,irelands best strength & conditioning coaches.Also you canuse all teh facilites -free weights,squat racks,kettlebells,prowler etc etc.I think its 80 a month but AFAIK theres no joinign fee.You can also participate in MMA,BJJ and muay thai classes unlimited for 5 /6 days a week.You can do Muay thai for cardio and you dont have to spar or make contact with another person if u wish.

Knocks teh socks off any of the gyms out there IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Hi All,

As TF in sandford is closed now, im looking for a new Gym, somewhere that has good freeweights, machines, sauna(with plunge pool nearby) and hydrotherapy pool.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

I think there's a Crunch opening in the Beacon Court complex. NOt 100% sure but the signs on the windows says there's one on the way. There's Westwood as well down in Leopardstown

Hi guys,
    I'm thinking of joining the raven gym in Bray, going to have a look over the weekend, it's €99 for three months.

Does anyone have any experience/comments? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in a gym to be honest. I just need to start somewhere but I can't afford to spend a fortune!

Morf3h wrote: »
    I think there's a Crunch opening in the Beacon Court complex. NOt 100% sure but the signs on the windows says there's one on the way. There's Westwood as well down in Leopardstown

Those signs have been there since at least Feb 2009.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hi guys,
    I'm thinking of joining the raven gym in Bray, going to have a look over the weekend, it's €99 for three months.

Does anyone have any experience/comments? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in a gym to be honest. I just need to start somewhere but I can't afford to spend a fortune!

If I lived in Bray, I'd join East Coast Barbell. It looks brilliant.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

If I lived in Bray, I'd join East Coast Barbell. It looks brilliant.

Great, I'll google it thanks :)

I live in Shankill so the Raven end of Bray would be handy, going to go have a look at it tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Great, I'll google it thanks :)

I live in Shankill so the Raven end of Bray would be handy, going to go have a look at it tomorrow.

East Coast Barbell would be very handy for you so..it's in the Solus industrial estate..
    http://www.wix.com/eastcoastbarbell/ecb

Advertisement