Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

claralara wrote: »
    Yes, hills...I remember some wise old sages telling me once that pain and hills are my friends... And friends will be needed to get me through Connemara!

I'm away the next 2 weekends but I'll get onto you then for a good painful enjoyable hilly run if you're up for it.

In the meantime I'm considering hitting that glenamuck road for some sort of copycat but lesser version of your hill workout perhaps one evening a week. Eek. We shall see how the next few weeks pan out!

Enjoy! :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Yes, hills...I remember some wise old sages telling me once that pain and hills are my friends... And friends will be needed to get me through Connemara!

Ah those sages are indeed wise beyond description. So when are you running up Knocknamaroon hill as you were mad keen to charge up it after 10 miles the other morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Well done on the 20 miles Clara! I am sorry I cudn make it in (Thanks for the pm) :) something came up which meant I couldn't make it :(.....

I am going to seriously look at running into work a couple times a week after reading ur blog... cud be interesting ;)....

When is ur marathon?? I wud love to go out for a run with all you guys at the end of April.... (Am literally flat out until then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Connemarathon 10th April, no LSR's for the latter part of April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

mrslow wrote: »
    Connemarathon 10th April, no LSR's for the latter part of April.

What he said! Or any of April...

Tuesday 8th March 2011
    - 5.06 miles – Av Pace 9.28
    The plan was for this to be a ‘slow and easy’ recovery run. The reality was an ‘it feels like I have bowling balls in my pockets and my feet tied together’ run. The first mile was nothing less than a sluggish 10:18 uphill mile…oops! I was a full minute faster on the way down and the rest of route was flat enough with just a few bumps. It was an enjoyable jaunt in the end. It wasn’t painful at all to get out of bed at 6 with the bright morning which meant I was home in time to make a big mound of pancakes to bring into work. You’re now looking at employee of the month :D

@Spagbol - Knocknamaroon hill. Paddy's day. Mile 21. It's a date! Screw the horses (:eek:). You can watch the racing from a pub in a safe place far far away from Croke park where they don't eat their young!

• Advertisement

‘it feels like I have bowling balls in my pockets

Now you know how Digger feels!:pac:

Spagbol - Knocknamaroon hill. Paddy's day. Mile 21. It's a date! Screw the horses (:eek:). You can watch the racing from a pub in a safe place far far away from Croke park where they don't eat their young! [/FONT]

Firstly, it's Knockmaroon and secondly, if you think I'm carrying you back to your car you have another thing coming.

Firstly, it's Knockmaroon and secondly, if you think I'm carrying you back to your car you have another thing coming.

I purposely copied and pasted from his post coz I knew I'd get it wrong!! Damn him.

@Spagbol - Knocknamaroon hill. Paddy's day. Mile 21. It's a date! Screw the horses (:eek:). You can watch the racing from a pub in a safe place far far away from Croke park where they don't eat their young!

Well tis the best offer i have got today i'll grant you but me and the horses have to take priorty at this week in the year. Which one is the blushing icon??

And while going up that hill at mile 21 is indeed a great feat, i shall be thinking of you and any others with you from the comforts of a bookies where i intend to screw the bookies. After last week, you'll be fine but the conversation mightn't be as witty without me around:D

No comfort for me in ever watching sport in a pub as too many people talking too much nonsense.

Also where in Croke Park don't they eat their young as this implies that they do eat their young somewhere round the hallow ground?

But remember hills, pain, rain, jellybabies and bodyglide are your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

it feels like I have bowling balls in my pockets
    Now you know how Digger feels!:pac:

If only they were mere bowling balls.......Heaves a heavy sigh :D

• Advertisement

. Screw the horses
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Well tis the best offer i have got today

Did spagbol star in Equus?:D

chinguetti wrote: »
    but the conversation mightn't be as witty without me around:D

I'll try and keep to the subjects we touched on, on Sunday;)

Am promising nothing given the fac that everytime I have ended up saying 'I will go for a run'....I end up ' working' :(

But what time is the run in the Pheonix park? Not a hope am I doing 21 miles though lol.... you get me for 10/12 though

7am, I have lots on that day.

7am, I have lots on that day.

Sounds good, you know I'm an early bird :D As much recovery time as possible before the weekend in Edinburgh is desirable! Venue TBC though...

Wednesday 9th March
    - 8.3 miles – Av Pace 9.20
    Decided to man up and attack a hill on my way into work this morning – tired legs no excuse! Doubled back on myself at UCD and went up Foster’s Ave / Mount Anville Road. It wasn’t overly painful just sloooowwww…. And that was only after 3 easy miles so the thoughts of anything like it at the 24 mile mark are mildly terrifying. And it’s only about ½ a mile so I don’t think that compares to Connemara at all. I’ll have to make the rest of the month as hilly as possible. Nothing overly exciting to report otherwise.

I couldn’t move in the dressing rooms this morning – I think every chick in my building has decided to take up exercise for Lent! :rolleyes:

I couldn’t move in the dressing rooms this morning – I think every chick in my building has decided to take up exercise for Lent! :rolleyes:[/FONT]

More likely that you should have taken up exercise earlier ;)

More likely that you should have taken up exercise earlier ;)

Ouch.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wednesday 9th March
    - 8.3 miles – Av Pace 9.20
    Decided to man up and attack a hill on my way into work this morning – tired legs no excuse! Doubled back on myself at UCD and went up Foster’s Ave / Mount Anville Road. It wasn’t overly painful just sloooowwww…. And that was only after 3 easy miles so the thoughts of anything like it at the 24 mile mark are mildly terrifying. And it’s only about ½ a mile so I don’t think that compares to Connemara at all. I’ll have to make the rest of the month as hilly as possible. Nothing overly exciting to report otherwise.

I couldn’t move in the dressing rooms this morning – I think every chick in my building has decided to take up exercise for Lent! :rolleyes:
    Hi Claralara, don't overdo it on the hills. Just work them into your training runs a couple of times a week. The hills in Connemara sound worse than they are. Don't get put off by them. You can take them nice and handy on race day too, just try and avoid the dreaded walk! Once you start walking, it's hard to stop, so a nice slow run is 100% better than a nice slow walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Hi Claralara, don't overdo it on the hills. Just work them into your training runs a couple of times a week. The hills in Connemara sound worse than they are. Don't get put off by them. You can take them nice and handy on race day too, just try and avoid the dreaded walk! Once you start walking, it's hard to stop, so a nice slow run is 100% better than a nice slow walk.

+1.
    The first hilll out of Leenane is likely to be memorable as much for the number of runners as for the slope, if other full marathoner's comments from earlier years hold up. So you'll be thinking about that, rather than the uphill agony thing. Also, it's not a very savage hill by any means.

The second hill, out of Maam, is of course notorious. But look up from the tarmac - the scenery is particularly fine here - the Lone Turk on the left will be glistening in that sun-meets-damp way that it has every Run Day, and Corcog on the right glowers down at you in that "I'm the start of the Turks Walk, don't mess with me" sort of way that I always feel it has. It really is a great spot, and the scenery really makes the run.

Taking the hills handy will cost you only a relatively small amount of time, compared to the potential downside of walking - I walked the bottom of Hill 2 last year (too hot, dehydrated, foolish 60km hill cycle previous day, and that's not all the excuses I can drag out if need be) and it still rankles.

• Advertisement

Agree with the previous posters. The hills in Connemara get a bad rep, mainly i think from people who at the end of the half/full/ultra come round the corner fairly tired and emotional and see the road disappear over a hill in what seems like 10 miles away. And thats what they remember and its gets passed on to anyone else you wants to run it.

The 'Hell of the West' isn't that bad, its two Kyber Pass in the Phoenix Park over a longer distance but its near the end of a race, which is the problem. Stick your eyes on the white line and work your way up it bit by bit.

Once you go over the top, there will be the nicest tasting jellies in the world and a roll into the finish line.

And if you don't make a big deal of something, it becomes much easier. Therefore you get the saying that 'hills are your friends'.

Cheers for all of the advice above lads. Much appreciated. I'll do my best to keep it all in perspective! :)

Thursday 10th March
    - 5.61miles – Av Pace 9.42
    I talked myself in and out of running home from a work a zillion times yesterday. I was just knackered and although I don’t feel as bad this week as I did after the long run 2 weeks ago, I’d say I still had the remnants of Sunday in my legs. The goal was just to make it home before people started to worry about my whereabouts! It’s a bit of an uphill drag for a good half or more of the route so I just kept the head down and didn’t give a thought to the Garmin or pace. It was pret-ty windy out there but it varied between being with me and against me so I can’t really complain.

Friday 11th March
    - Rest

Heading off this evening for a classy weekend in Liverpool to visit some people. I have my running gear packed and the plan says 12 miles…
    It may end up being a case of splitting that into 2 runs and doing the long one on Monday followed by 2 days rest before the next 20miler… I’m not sure how well received a 2hour absence would be either Saturday or Sunday afternoon and I don’t think I’ll be getting my early morning rise on!! :cool:

Thursday 10th March
    - 5.61miles – Av Pace 9.42
    I talked myself in and out of running home from a work a zillion times yesterday. I was just knackered and although I don’t feel as bad this week as I did after the long run 2 weeks ago, I’d say I still had the remnants of Sunday in my legs. The goal was just to make it home before people started to worry about my whereabouts! It’s a bit of an uphill drag for a good half or more of the route so I just kept the head down and didn’t give a thought to the Garmin or pace. It was pret-ty windy out there but it varied between being with me and against me so I can’t really complain.

Friday 11th March
    - Rest

Heading off this evening for a classy weekend in Liverpool to visit some people. I have my running gear packed and the plan says 12 miles…
    It may end up being a case of splitting that into 2 runs and doing the long one on Monday followed by 2 days rest before the next 20miler… I’m not sure how well received a 2hour absence would be either Saturday or Sunday afternoon and I don’t think I’ll be getting my early morning rise on!! :cool:

Hey, I am sure most will agree here.... that to miss a couple of the shorter runs and complete the LSR on Monday isn't the end of the world......A weekends break will freshen you up and you will be well able for the 20 miler next week.... The big runs you need to do are the LSR's...

On that note..... You have already done more and longer LSR's than I did for the DCM and I did ok with my time like.....

Remember you shudn't wear yourself out before the marathon as you won't perform as well on the day then! Jus my '2 cents'.

Enjoy the 'pool

Saturday 12th March
    - 5.03 miles – Av Pace 9.06
    Sooo….Running at the weekend didn’t quite go according to plan. :o There wasn’t much time in between all of the eating and drinking and chilling and shopping – all very important holiday ‘to do’s’! I was knackered on Saturday after spending the day on my feet and said I’d just leave it. But then I spent the entirety of the match with a puss on my face because I wasn’t going to get my run done so I was sent out to run for half an hour with strict instructions to come back in good form. It meant I didn’t have to get involved in cooking dinner too which suited me! A handy 5 miles along the docks in the ‘pool – it was a nice change of scenery but pretty breezy. I could have gone on with a few more easy miles but it was dark and quiet and I didn’t know the area at all so the nerves got the better of me.

Sunday 13th March
    - A veritable running failure!

Plan Week 11/14
    Monday 6miles
    Tuesday 6miles
    Wednesday Rest
    Thursday 21miles
    Friday Rest
    Saturday 4miles
    Sunday 5miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

With a week plan like that, I wouldn't be too worried. That's a great set of runs, with plenty of mileage. I won't make anything like that many miles myself.
    Connemara - bring it on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Plan Week 11/14
    Thursday 21miles

I thought It was supposed to be 20? :p
    What time do you want to get going at?

menoscemo wrote: »
    I thought It was supposed to be 20? :p
    What time do you want to get going at?

7am chief, you up for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hey girl, just catching up on your log now. Well done on the 20 milers, great going. Best of luck for the 21 on Thursday and you're in great shape for Conn.

Advertisement