Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

claralara wrote: »
    Best of luck in 2011, you deserve a good year! :)

I do have major delusions of grandeur and still but think if i can get diet, training etc all in order next year I can go very fast over some shorter distances... but do need to man up now and back up the talk, can't live on races from 15 years ago .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    I do have major delusions of grandeur and still but think if i can get diet, training etc all in order next year I can go very fast over some shorter distances... but do need to man up now and back up the talk, can't live on races from 15 years ago .....

I like you have delusions of grandeur. Do what I do, book mark your outrageous comments and view them in the lead up to a race. Great training/racing motivation.

I like you have delusions of grandeur. Do what I do, book mark your outrageous comments and view them in the lead up to a race. Great training/racing motivation.

Yep , good idea there, have times down on paper now ;)

Just been getting out for a few easy miles each day nothing really to report or log. Feel the down week was need even if the half marathon didnt happen.

Nothing major to report over christmas just 1 or 2 easy runs.

Wed 29 December
    6 miles today 2 very easy and 4 at 8:15 pace, this felt really really hard ... but glad to get out.

• Advertisement

Thursday 30th December

5 handy miles @ 9 min pace today. Conditions were perfect out today.

Friday 31st Dec
    4.5 miles today at about 8:15 pace, legs wanted to run faster the rest of my body didn't. As i've had 3 month ok running its time for the tempo runs to come back into the schedule.

1st Jan 2011
    10 handy miles to start the year, Pace was about 10 min mile pace but was very very easy. Though about going on for a few more mile but havent' done a long one in 3 week so just kept it to 10.

Sunday 2nd January
    Handy 5miles today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

You have had a great run (:p) of runs since christmas! You obviously didn't tuck into the roses and beer like em...me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

We should all take it handy for a bit.
    Are you doing the Waterford half?

maria74 wrote: »
    You have had a great run (:p) of runs since christmas! You obviously didn't tuck into the roses and beer like em...me!!!

I've had far too much beer over the past two week but not a drop since the 26th now , do bottles of wine count.
    Back into the full swing of training again now :).

ger34 wrote: »
    We should all take it handy for a bit.
    Are you doing the Waterford half?

Not going to be able to make it to waterford that weekend so will give the half marathon a miss. Focus is on the sorter race from now on.

Monday 3rd Jan
    7 easy miles along the canal tonight, legs felt a bit odd last night and this morning with a stiff hamstring so didnt run until late today. Decided on the canal as is flat and I think it was the 10miles in the mud on sat that caused the stiff hamstring. After about 800m felt great and no problem at all.

Tuesday 4th Jan
    1.5 mile warmup

6 X 400m with 400m recovery

1.2 mile warm down

Felt really good today but wasnt pushing too hard, kept at the back of the group today and didnt care about pace. Plan was to do 5 but did an extra rep at the end.

Reps were all about 1:35-1:38 could have gone faster.

Total mile today 5.7

Wed 5th Jan
    Rest day today, Just checked back over my log and I've run a little more then I expected this week. So taking today totally off. Don't really want to go over 45 miles in week for now. Will give the race on Sat a bit of a lash now I think.

Wed 5th Jan
    Will give the race on Sat a bit of a lash now I think.

Thinking of doing it myself but it will not be pretty. Bloody snow/Christmas

Thinking of doing it myself but it will not be pretty. Bloody snow/Christmas
    It cant be any worse then the last time we races there. :) I hope...

Nothing much to report here. Been fairly busy the last week in work so havent been around much. Training has been ticking over but picked up a little calf/Shin (not again) pain last Friday when doing some strides before the race on Sat. So skipped the race and only done some easy running since then.

Have taken the last 2 days off, but been on the bike for about an hour a day. Don't think i'd have any problem running but just been on the safe side. Better to miss a day or two now then a month down the line.

Thursday 14th Jan

1.5 hours on an exercise bike, this was a pain in the ass.

Friday 1th Jan

1 hour 20 on the bike again...

Not sure how people who cycle manage to fit in training as an easy spin must be 2-3 hours and a long one?

Years plans might change now as a planned month off has been put back for a year so will need to see how thigns go. An autumn Marathon might be on the cards of I can sort out a few things. i.e.

Sorting diet out at the moment and becoming a real kcal counter and the adition of a kitchen scales too was a real eye opener diet is actually good but just needed to cut back on the portions....

Calf feels great today after a nice bit of S&M last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thursday 14th Jan

Friday 1th Jan

1 hour 20 on the bike again...

Not sure how people who cycle manage to fit in training as an easy spin must be 2-3 hours and a long one?

Hill Intervals (the steeper the hill the better) or 4*5 min intervals on the flat. Saves time just lobbing around in no mans land pace wise. Then 3 - 4 hours on a saturday morning and few recovery spins

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hill Intervals (the steeper the hill the better) or 4*5 min intervals on the flat. Saves time just lobbing around in no mans land pace wise. Then 3 - 4 hours on a saturday morning and few recovery spins
    Ah yes but a recovery spin would you be out for 1.5 hours or so , Just looking at a recovery run for me would be 40/45 mins but seems that on the bike it would take a lot longer.. Thats jsut based on Kcal used so might do be a good reflection.

Friday 14th PM
    2 mile handy jog . Took me loner to get ready to run and then shower then the actual run.

Stretching and foam roller again introduced a few new stretches tonight..Really need to stretch when not injured. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Thursday 14th Jan

Try using a saddle next time:eek:
    Are you planning to do any BHAA XC races in the near future?

gerard65 wrote: »
    Try using a saddle next time:eek:
    Are you planning to do any BHAA XC races in the near future?
    Yep have a team from teh office so i'll be running them all, mostly will be as tempo runs so not full out for now, just hoping to get in shape for the summer at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Cool, I'll catch up with you then.

Sat 15th Jan

1.5 hours on the exercise bike followed by 3 mile jog. legs like Jelly for the first few min. Calf and shin are almost 100%

Sunday 15h Jan

1 hour easy on exercise bike again.

Will get back to propper running this week, but thinking of keeping 3-4 session on the bike per week before work cant do any harm...

Monday 17th Jan
    5 slow miles today, knee was sore at the end :eek: .Think if I was a race horse there would be just one option ;) .

Tuesday 18th Jan
    Today wasnt a great day, busy in work and didnt eat well Showed up at training starving andjust managed to get around today.

2.5 mile warmup

1X400m
    1X600m
    1X1000m
    2X600m
    2X400m

1.5 mile warm down.

As I havent run a huge amout this week I kept the pace slower then normal enegry level were low but loved ever second of it.

Didn't notice anything from the calf/shin today so happy days. On the plus side nailed a promotion in work today so going to open a few beers now.. ;)

• Advertisement

On the plus side nailed a promotion in work today

Congratulations
    going to open a few beers now.. ;)

Bastard

Advertisement