Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

scudzilla wrote: »
    Press Conference for 125 is about to start here

http://modulesorigin.ufc.com/live/?systemId=595e115b-bf6c-4485-b549-3d0356c653c3&playerContextId=d82d2f4b-19f7-45ec-9b76-f322d3d3adef

Apparently Dana will also be making another one of his 'Special' announcements :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Was watching it there but didn't hear anything special as such.... Was it at the beginning?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

ScareGilly wrote: »

Pretty safe to say his return will be on August 27 in Rio I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The pic in the link............ is that Cain doing what we've all dreamed of doing......

Is he about to punch M. Night Shaymalan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Pretty safe to say his return will be on August 27 in Rio I would think.

Meltzer has said that November is looking like a more realistic estimation. He somehow injured it in the fight with Brock

Should he be stripped of the title if he's out for a year? Apparently Dos Santos says he won't be waiting for Cain, he wants to fight (which is nice to see). Should he fight for an interim title? I think Mir would be the top contender for such a fight

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    Meltzer has said that November is looking like a more realistic estimation. He somehow injured it in the fight with Brock

Should he be stripped of the title if he's out for a year? Apparently Dos Santos says he won't be waiting for Cain, he wants to fight (which is nice to see). Should he fight for an interim title? I think Mir would be the top contender for such a fight

In my opinion, and although i generally don't like Interim titles, if he's going to be out for a year, there definitely should be ann Interim title fight.

However, I don't like the idea of having Mir in there. Brock or Carwin for me. yes, they're both coming off loses, all Mir has done was bore himself to a win over Mirko.

Give Schaub a shot :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

the UFC are quickly running out of decent heavyweights, they need to steal some of strikeforces guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    However, I don't like the idea of having Mir in there. Brock or Carwin for me. yes, they're both coming off loses, all Mir has done was bore himself to a win over Mirko.

If it's between Carwin and Brock then Brock should get it. He beat Carwin and he was the previous champion. But I don't think it's a great idea having someone coming off a loss in a title match, unless it's a rematch with justification. Strikeforce have done it and it makes no sense and doesn't give any credibility to the title

Brock vs Mir with the winner vs Dos Santos would make sense, if it could happen within the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Fozzy wrote: »
    If it's between Carwin and Brock then Brock should get it. He beat Carwin and he was the previous champion. But I don't think it's a great idea having someone coming off a loss in a title match, unless it's a rematch with justification. Strikeforce have done it and it makes no sense and doesn't give any credibility to the title

Brock vs Mir with the winner vs Dos Santos would make sense, if it could happen within the next few months

I'd like to see Roy Nelson thrown in the mix too, i think he'd take Carwin and probably Brock

• Advertisement

Niall0 wrote: »
    the UFC are quickly running out of decent heavyweights, they need to steal some of strikeforces guys.

The heavyweight division is certainly looking bleak right now. It's looking likely that we aren't going to see any of the top few fight in the first half of the year.
    I'd like to see Roy Nelson thrown in the mix too, i think he'd take Carwin and probably Brock

I think he currently has contract issues with another organisation that is delaying him fight but I'd like to see him up there too.

Perhaps but....
    I think he currently has contract issues with another organisation that is delaying him fight but I'd like to see him up there too.

This

The HW Division is how it is right now as a side effect of the nature of the UFC. Dana and Joe Silva like to put the best against the best. No protecting anybody. So about 12-18 months ago the HW division was full of contenders. Remember when Nog, Mir, Couture (perhaps), JDS, Lesnar, Carwin, Cain........ all these guys were "in the mix" with each other. it was exciting.

But now, they've all fought each other and beat each other. The only ones to come out on top by beating everyone are Cain and JDS.

Everyone else has lost to them or to each other.

We shoould be thankful really. Because, if this was boxing, we'd have so many of these guys fighting cans and being protected. it just happens that all the lustre seems to have left the division now.

Niall0 wrote: »

Strikeforce HW divisions pwns UFC HW Division..

For MrStuffins, I don't think that's why, there's basicly not enough top class HWs in the UFC.. JDS, Cain & Mir are basicly the only ones who I see being champs for the next 2 years.. I vote for Struve vs. Schaub, winner fight JDS for interim title..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I enjoyed my pre UFC chat with a guy i know in the US. He is in Edgars camp so i was especially pleased to chat with him before this fight.

He has Phil Nurse as a lot of you may know. His main focus this training camp has been BJJ with Renzo however. My friend expects a lot of triangle attempts and sweeps. He predicted a 3rd round Triangle. Frustrating him with speed in the first two rounds standing up the third should go to the ground.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I enjoyed my pre UFC chat with a guy i know in the US. He is in Edgars camp so i was especially pleased to chat with him before this fight.

He has Phil Nurse as a lot of you may know. His main focus this training camp has been BJJ with Renzo however. My friend expects a lot of triangle attempts and sweeps. He predicted a 3rd round Triangle. Frustrating him with speed in the first two rounds standing up the third should go to the ground.

How could i ever forget Mr Nurse, i'm reminded of him every time i see a tub of vaseline ;)

Interesting, i think maynard is just gonna beat down on him and take a 3/4th round tko, mind you, i also had BJ to beat Frankie twice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I really do like Frankie Edgar, not just for his striking resemblance to Spiderman but because he is there on talent not talk. Diligent and hard working .

Don't always take camps for gospel of course. When i chatted with a member of Koschecks camp post fight as he was somewhat wary of saying anything until post fight. Koscheck was just training in so many submissions for GSP II. It must be the most horrible feeling to know a gameplan you have spent months on goes out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Strikeforce HW divisions pwns UFC HW Division..

For MrStuffins, I don't think that's why, there's basicly not enough top class HWs in the UFC.. JDS, Cain & Mir are basicly the only ones who I see being champs for the next 2 years.. I vote for Struve vs. Schaub, winner fight JDS for interim title..

Mir won't be champ as he wouldn't get anywhere near Brock, JDS, Cain or Carwin.

Struve and Schaub are definately nowhere near of deserving a title shot, they would need to beat some credible contenders first such as the above.

The HW Division is how it is right now as a side effect of the nature of the UFC. Dana and Joe Silva like to put the best against the best. No protecting anybody. So about 12-18 months ago the HW division was full of contenders. Remember when Nog, Mir, Couture (perhaps), JDS, Lesnar, Carwin, Cain........ all these guys were "in the mix" with each other. it was exciting.

But now, they've all fought each other and beat each other. The only ones to come out on top by beating everyone are Cain and JDS.

Everyone else has lost to them or to each other.

Totally agree.

It's a bit of a head scratcher to who JDS will fight for the interim, Mir is the only one who makes sense right now.

Carwin: Coming off a loss / Out until Summer 2011
    Brock: Coming off a loss / Destroyed by Cain
    Nelson: Coming off a loss (to JDS) / Contract issues
    Noguiera: Coming off a loss (to Cain)

UFC could really do with a few Strikeforce guys right now.

TheProdigy wrote: »
    Mir won't be champ as he wouldn't get anywhere near Brock, JDS, Cain or Carwin.

Struve and Schaub are definately nowhere near of deserving a title shot, they would need to beat some credible contenders first such as the above.

I agree but then this;
    It's a bit of a head scratcher to who JDS will fight for the interim, Mir is the only one who makes sense right now.

Carwin: Coming off a loss / Out until Summer 2011
    Brock: Coming off a loss / Destroyed by Cain
    Nelson: Coming off a loss (to JDS) / Contract issues
    Noguiera: Coming off a loss (to Cain)

Brandon Vera and Phil Baroni have both been cut after 125. A bit sad to see Vera go as he does have talent in there somewhere, just never seems to bother showing it.

Edit: Just seen Marcus Davis has been cut too.

• Advertisement

Edit: Just seen Marcus Davis has been cut too.

Gutted!

Gutted!

Yeah, but it's been a long time coming, he was never really going anywhere in his last 3/4 fights.

Any news on who Aldo is fighting in March? Seen he thinks he'll be ready for a defense in March, think they're in a bit of a fix for the opponent though, Grispi lost to Pourier, Hominick is fighting Roop, think their best bet would be a current 155 pounder? Unless Lesnar cuts to 145.

Any news on who Aldo is fighting in March? Seen he thinks he'll be ready for a defense in March, think they're in a bit of a fix for the opponent though, Grispi lost to Pourier, Hominick is fighting Roop, think their best bet would be a current 155 pounder? Unless Lesnar cuts to 145.
    I thought Chael Sonnen was going on a diet since he didn't win the MW Title? :rolleyes:

I thought Chael Sonnen was going on a diet since he didn't win the MW Title? :rolleyes:

A diet of prison food!

funny-gifs-just-ask.gif

A diet of prison food!

"I hope you like prison food.....and penis"- The Other Guys

Jacob Volkmann got a visit off the secret services for calling out Barrack Obama in an interview with Ariel Helwani, they have to investigate and interview any threat on the presidents life apparently/ :pac::pac::pac:
    Volkmann Calls out Obama

"I hope you like prison food.....and penis"- The Other Guys

Jacob Volkmann got a visit off the secret services for calling out Barrack Obama in an interview with Ariel Helwani, they have to investigate and interview any threat on the presidents life apparently/ :pac::pac::pac:
    Volkmann Calls out Obama

:pac::pac::pac:

That's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gar_wafer

Anyone know where to watch strikeforce this weekend on tv ? Since bravo is gone I don't know where to find it !!!

• Advertisement

Gar_wafer wrote: »
    Anyone know where to watch strikeforce this weekend on tv ? Since bravo is gone I don't know where to find it !!!

This is a UFC discussion thread.
    Phil Davis V Matt Hamill is rumoured at 129.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement