Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless animals in Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

dapto1 wrote: »
    You're new to this whole internet thing, aren't you?

No -i am not, but i am not a child anymore to play childish games online.

CAN WE PLEASE USE THIS THREAD TO SHARE INFORMATIONS ABOUT HOMELESS/LOST/FOUND OR MISTREATED ANIMALS IN GALWAY??????

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

softmee wrote: »
    No -i am not, but i am not a child anymore to play childish games online.

CAN WE PLEASE USE THIS THREAD TO SHARE INFORMATIONS ABOUT HOMELESS/LOST/FOUND OR MISTREATED ANIMALS IN GALWAY??????

Stand back lads, she's going to explode!

Like a homeless terrier that's eaten a firecracker. In Galway. /OT

dapto1 wrote: »

Like a homeless terrier that's eaten a firecracker. In Galway. /OT

See- you do think this is funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Suza

We have a friendly white cat with a blue collar sitting at our door since yesterday. He tries to get in everytime you open the door so I presume he is a house cat. Doesn't look like he is going anywhere soon the poor wee thing. We have fed him and given him a box for shelter but if anyone knows of someone missing him please let me know. He was up rubbing around our baby so it seems he is used to children. We live near Briar Hill Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

dapto1, do not post in this thread any more.

Just a FYI, I'll give this thread until NY then it'll be closed.
    There's a whole forum for Animals welfare issues.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    dapto1, do not post in this thread any more.

Just a FYI, I'll give this thread until NY then it'll be closed.
    There's a whole forum for Animals welfare issues.

Is there a whole forum for Homeless animals in Galway? Does it really bother you so much?
    There is a place on Galway forum for things of less importance and people open threads about animal issues here anyway from time to time.
    Think again if there is no place for it here, because i think there should be.

As you can see animals threads attracts two types, people obsessed with animal welfare and people less obsessed with animal welfare.
    These two types clash easily and this whole issue can easily be avoided by keeping animal issues in Animals forum.
    Most every thread starts well and ends up the same, posts starts getting reported and the thread gets locked.
    I'm not banning you from starting animals threads here but don't expect thread to pan out how you think it will.

As an experiment go to Region Category and type in neglected horses in the "Search this Forum" box.
    Every single thread on that particular topic is in Galway, no other regional forum has it. Everyone else keeps animal issues in Animals.

Back OT everyone pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

people obsessed with animal welfare

You don't have to be obsessed with animal welfare to be concerned or to do something.

Bad choice of words IMO and is typical of the Irish attitude.

Maybe "concerned" would be a better word.

These two types clash easily and this whole issue can easily be avoided by keeping animal issues in Animals forum.

-or by keeping it under control -dont you think so?

I am far from beeing obsessed with anything and even if someone is -thats no harm to be obsessed with some possitive ideas.
    I wouldnt also call the "other type" less obsessed -i would call them ignorants.
    I know you dont get paid for beeing a moderator -but you took it and its your job to keep everything in order. Why dont do this so?
    this cant be more simple - just shouldnt go off topic and thats it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There's no point in getting popcorn, is there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ficheall wrote: »
    There's no point in getting popcorn, is there...

IBTL, pass the bowl :)

Hmm.. and this is all sounding familiar, thought the two usernames for some people thing was discouraged...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

inisboffin wrote: »
    thought the two usernames for some people thing was discouraged...:rolleyes:

Who are you talking about?

Who? Spill!

No fun to spill lads:p
    I don't mean two in the one thread, but do a bit of Sherlockin' if ye haven't spotted it! /OT

Ah come on - it's Christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I totally disagree. This thread has provided some excellent discussion & argument - surely that is why we are here.

Often this type of topic doesn't get discussed on A&P because most people there support animal welfare so there is no balance.

I would urge some of the posters here who have opposed the animal welfare view to post in A&P.

Now back on topic does anyone know anything about the horses that were dumped in Furbo ?.

Discodog wrote: »
    I would urge some of the posters here who have opposed the animal welfare view to post in A&P.

Care to specify what you regard this "animal welfare view" to be, and point out who has opposed it? :confused:

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.
    That said, the dogs and cat were probably just minding their own business. However, if you wake up some morning to find a horse outside your house uninvolved in a Rubberbandits skit, then there may indeed be some cause for concern.
    You could wear a false moustache if it makes you feel more comfortable.
    EGAR wrote: »

I've done rescue in this country for the past 14 years. I've seen things that would make your toenails curl or make you p*ke your guts out.
    I have seen dogs with cut off ears, doused in diesel and set alight, tied to a tree in the forest and left to starve, I've seen donkeys with curled hooves barely able to walk, I've seen horses so emaciated the only body part they could still move were their eyes. And THAT WAS IN THE GOOD TIMES!

So, yes, Ireland is extremely backwards when it comes to the care of its animals. And I am in a good position to judge this.

I would say that these two posts express a pretty opposite opinion. You seem to think that stray dogs are just having a good time & EGAR (& Me) totally disagree with you.

That first post of mine is quite clearly nonsense which has no bearing on anything. And minding one's own business does not equate to having a good time in any case.

Anyway..
    I do feel sorry for the animals in that miserable weather. And the homeless people who are stuck out in it. And all the people dying of starvation in Africa etc.
    You seem to be suggesting that just because I'm not trying to do or encourage others to do anything about it, that I am actively opposed to them having some sort of reasonable living standard.
    I could be reading you completely wrong of course - which is why I asked you to specify what you meant by "the animal welfare view", but you've neglected to do so...

• Advertisement

OK I will try again. Those who support Animal Welfare might argue that it should not be a matter of priorities but that Animal Welfare Law is a fundamental part of any society. No animal should be subjected to unnecessary suffering, which is the definition of cruelty.

Others will argue that humans have domain over animals & take precedence in any law. For example they will argue that Hare Coursing is not cruel or that a degree of animal suffering can be justified as necessary & therefore not cruel.

One dog owner will consider it acceptable to keep their dog chained up all day & during a minus 10c night whereas anyone with an animal welfare agenda would consider this to be cruelty.

Many posters here consider that there is a huge problem with stray dogs Amharan Nua disagrees.

OK I will try again. Those who support Animal Welfare might argue that it should not be a matter of priorities but that Animal Welfare Law is a fundamental part of any society. No animal should be subjected to unnecessary suffering, which is the definition of cruelty.

A difference of opinion as to what issues should be prioritized in society does not strictly count as opposing an "animal welfare view", surely?
    Others will argue that humans have domain over animals & take precedence in any law.

Humans do generally take precendence in any law. If, for an extreme example, there were a homeless person or a stray dog and I could choose to save one from freezing to death, I would probably choose the human.
    Granted, there are certain gob****es that I'm sure I'd be only too happy to leave to death, but...
    Many posters here consider that there is a huge problem with stray dogs Amharan Nua disagrees.

Disagreeing that there is a problem does not mean he is opposed to animal welfare..

I'm not saying I disagree with you about the sorry state of many of Ireland's animals etc, etc. but I'd say it's safer to say that posters just have different priorities, as opposed to actively wishing to harm animals or cause them to suffer.

A difference of opinion as to what issues should be prioritized in society does not strictly count as opposing an "animal welfare view", surely?

It does in that you will never get animal welfare legislation because something will be prioritised ahead of it. Introducing an Animal Welfare Bill would do nothing to prejudice our recovery from recession or cost any money but people would see it as a waste of time.
    Humans do generally take precendence in any law.

Not in Welfare Law when a human is abusing an animal.
    Disagreeing that there is a problem does not mean he is opposed to animal welfare..
    I'm not saying I disagree with you about the sorry state of many of Ireland's animals etc, etc. but I'd say it's safer to say that posters just have different priorities, as opposed to actively wishing to harm animals or cause them to suffer.

If you do not think that there is a problem then you would see no need for legislation. People do have different priorities & that really is the key. I have already said that I do not see it as a matter of priorities but a basic right.

So those who support animal welfare would argue that we should have legislation & enforcement now. Where as others might say that there are more important issues.

Ok, please dont tell me there is no need for this thread. I've just found puppy and if by any chance someone would know where he comes from, please let me know.

I;ve changed my mind. If this dog has owner who care -he should be looking for it and i will contact this person.

But what is the thread about? Animal welfare? Cruelty? Finger pointing?

I'd have absolutely NO problem with a lost and found animals thread in Galway City. Once that's all it was.
    Animals can travel though, trapped in cars, stolen and dumped etc, so I'd say a link/post to Galway County and Animals Issues would be essential. We didn't manage to deal very well with keeping clear, the issue of a missing person thread recently :( so I worry an animal thread would be no different tbh.

Edit: And you have just removed some comments below the pics in the last post that connect to my point. But oh well.

inisboffin wrote: »
    But what is the thread about? Animal welfare? Cruelty? Finger pointing?

I'd have absolutely NO problem with a lost and found animals thread in Galway City. Once that's all it was.
    Animals can travel though, trapped in cars, stolen and dumped etc, so I'd say a link/post to Galway County and Animals Issues would be essential. We didn't manage to deal very well with keeping clear, the issue of a missing person thread recently :( so I worry an animal thread would be no different tbh.

whatever

whatever

Thank you for illustrating my point so eloquently...

Ok, please dont tell me there is no need for this thread. I've just found puppy and if by any chance someone would know where he comes from, please let me know.

I;ve changed my mind. If this dog has owner who care -he should be looking for it and i will contact this person.

There is an excellent lost & found thread permanently in the A&P section. This is where everyone will look & remember just because you find a dog in Galway it doesn't mean that this is where it's owners are. Dogs get taken & then dumped. It is surprisingly common for a dog to turn up many miles from where it went missing.

The other reason for posting in A&P is that those here who are involved with rescues will see it.

There is an excellent lost & found thread permanently in the A&P section. This is where everyone will look & remember just because you find a dog in Galway it doesn't mean that this is where it's owners are. Dogs get taken & then dumped. It is surprisingly common for a dog to turn up many miles from where it went missing.

The other reason for posting in A&P is that those here who are involved with rescues will see it.

I dont care anymore. This is ridiculous. All i see here is problems. whats wrong with you people? Dont you have other problems? I just opened this thread because i see homeless dogs alll around and i didnt get help from rescues, so i thought i might find some help here. (and i did from one person) I dont care about your debate about this and that. It doesnt help at all.

• Advertisement

I dont care anymore. This is ridiculous. All i see here is problems. whats wrong with you people? Dont you have other problems?

So why do you keep coming back? (again and again)

Do you really think insulting people on here will make them help you?

I really wonder about your motives as you seem to have petulantly removed photos of a lost dog after posting them because you 'changed your mind'!:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement