Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest game you ever played?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

I once played pass the parcel in a Belfast pub. Never again.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Without a doubt, Alien Vs Predator 2. The marine campaign used to scare the bejesus out of. I'm fairly sure I pissed myself a little one night when I'd had a few cans and was playing it along at home in the dark.

As someone mentioned above, it was solely down to the f*cking motion sensor. You go into a room, sensor clear, scanning the corners... it goes off, and you freak out for a few seconds only for you to realise that it was the bloody door closing behind you. You'd think you'd get used to it, but no... every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sarky wrote: »
    FEAR had some decent psychological stuff in it. So did STALKER's opressive claustrophobic underground levels.

I liked FEAR's use of psychological creepiness, and I had forgotten about the research labs in STALKER.
    An underappreciated gem in horror was Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. The parts of the game that tried to be a shooter were pretty awful, but the rest was fantastically creepy. The insanity mechanic was lovely, messing about with the screen, hearing voices, and if it got too bad, putting a gun in your mouth and ending it all right there.

Must go check that out!
    "Doom 3" and "horror" don't really deserve to be in the same sentence unless it includes "completely lacks".
    chin_grin wrote: »
    I'm sorry...............what?

He's right chin_grin, Doom3 isn't a scary game. It has its moments of making you go "B*LLOCKS!!!" whilst simultaneously back-pedalling and emptying the contents of your weapon. But scary it isn't. And I used to play that game with the lights out, and 5.1 surround sound cranked up.

Except for that ... one .... small brief moment ... where it sent a sheet of cold sweat up my back. And it was nothing to do with
    a monster or fancy graphics; it was a simple sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

chin_grin wrote: »
    I'm sorry...............what?

I'll grant the first half hour some credit, the intro was pretty engaging and hearing everything going to pot over the radio was a nice touch. But once that was done it became far too by-the-numbers. Most of the scares were of the cheap "something jumps out of a hidden door and goes BOO!" variety, and you could avoid most of those by just not picking up the obviously placed ammo/gun/armour. Once you know a shock like that is coming, it ceases to be a shock, and when a game uses them over and over again it becomes boring. The fact that the Mars base must have built in hidden walls purely because they expected people to hide in them made it all just amusing.

FEAR and STALKER were far more scary. The jump-out-go-boo scares were present, but not nearly as frequently, and they were usually triggered by something other than picking up ammo.

The other scares were more subtle. Doom 3 was actually too dark. You can't half-glimpse things in pitch black, it was mostly the two extremes of nothing or monster trying to rip your balls off. The trippy flashbacks in FEAR were very nicely done. The cramped dimly lit bunkers in STALKER were fantastic. The lighting in those games was much better at making you feel uncomfortable. With torch and night vision you could always see around you, but never perfectly- there were always shadowy nooks and crannies for your imagination to populate with something unpleasant.

Doom 3 felt like just another shooter to me. Nothing particularly creepy about it after the first 30-40 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The one that springs to mind the most is FEAR but also Half-Life 2. There was a section in "We dont go to Ravenholm anymore" where you round the corner and one of those running zombies came straight at me. Frightened the **** out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

xRodge wrote: »
    Have just recently got a ps3 and have Dead Space, looking forward to getting into it!

I remember getting my mate to play Resident Evil on the PS1. Turned the lights off for atmosphere and kept very quiet at the bit where you walk through the long hall and the dogs break through the window. My mate was so scared, he yelled out and dropped the controller!

For me, Silent Hill on the ps was the one that scared me most. I used to always try to play it with the lights off when the house was quiet. Lots of nights, I couldn't sleep afterwards as I was literally trembling and could still imagine hearing the hissing and the slight scraping noises you get in the game :)

Play Dead Space in an empty house with the surround sound on loud - Penneys can't make underpants fast enough.........:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fear scared the life out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

5uspect wrote: »
    In fairness to Dead Space it does monster closet horror much better than Doom3 did.

I was always creeped out by Condemned. It had an oppressive atmosphere that appeared to drag you into madness as you brutally fought your way through it.

I completely forgot about condemned. The scary atmosphere is probably the games strongest point. I remeber the bit in the abandoned shopping mall where there are loads of mannequins and every now and again one would leap out and attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Silent Hill 2 and Condemned are by far the scariest games I've played.

I got Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Still life, Deadly Premonition and Obscure to play through over Christmas, I'm also going to play through all the Silent Hills again!

Can anyone recommend any others that I may be missing out on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Fear scared the life out of me.
    Fear was a straight-line no choice game - no freedom at all. For me that equals no scares. Basically anyone could beat that game. That and Doom 3 are everything that is wrong with modern games imo - great visuals and production values, no fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Silent Hill. Mostly just watching other people play em. Faceless nurses, Pyramid Head....................Jaysus. Cack City.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Silent Hill 2 for me, its just draining to play it, and I dont mean that in a bad way, its completely oppresive, you never feel safe, the sound design is a work of art, and the concepts are so much more than zombie and the usual survival horror stuff, the monsters have meaning.

Playing Dead Space for the first time on decent headphones late at night was a mistake, sound is unbelievable in it, and the fact that it takes you out of your comfort zone a few times,
    the bench where for the entire game you know you're safe, then a necromorph jumps out of it

shat.
    my.
    pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

FEAR was scary alright! When you climb up a ladder and Alma is just staring at you. Or when walking through a corridor and you get the crackles and the laughs but then nothing appears. But your ready to blast everything!

That and RE2 had some scary moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

cambo2008 wrote: »
    This was quite freaky at the time,excellent game,never hear much about it

Fantasic, but unfairly under-rated game. I wouldn't put it down as very scary though, more of an action game. Though having said that, there were some quite creepy bits in it.

For me though, I gotta say Silent Hill II. Took everything that scared the pants off me about the first game, and made it infinitely scarier. The original Resident Evil also gave me good scaring when I first played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

the first 4 hours of dead space, couldn't finished like 3 months after i got it . and the suffering , that scared the be -jesus out of me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Timesplitters 2 used to give me the sh1ts! Sooo scary! Zombies just coming out of No Where!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Silent hill 1, they don't make horror games like that anymore :( now they just jump out at you and you blow them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

Overblood scared the life outta me, great game for the PS1...old skool :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

playing the level in max payne with the baby crying freaked me cacks off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

elspecia wrote: »
    Overblood scared the life outta me, great game for the PS1...old skool :pac:

Oh god that was absolutely terrible. The Consolevania review of it though was great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Clive Barker's Undying.
    No one does scares and gut wrenching dread like Clive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Minecraft :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Anyone remember a game for the ps2 (I think). Very much like resident evil, you start off at a motel in southern USA somewhere(I think :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

kwalshe wrote: »
    playing the level in max payne with the baby crying freaked me cacks off

I'd forgotten all about that. Yeah, that was insanely creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Dime101

It's gotta be silent hill 2 for me.

The constant feeling of threat in that game was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Maybe not the entire game chaps but the Shalebridge Cradle part of Thief 3 is terrifying.
    It gave me the willies anyway :)

Oh man I forgot that bit in Max Payne!

That is insanely messed up, makes you want to finish the level ASAP.

Remember if you die the horrific screaming? :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Resident Evil 1. I watched my brother play it when I was 6 and lets just say I couldnt sleep for nights because of it. That game still makes me jump today. (Too bad the new resident evils arent like that :rolleyes: )

Silent Hill was a freaky game too.

Manhunt was a little weird too, played it when I was younger and I can remember just turning it off now and again :p

That part in Manhunt where you're in the Junk Yard was terrifying, same with the Asylum level.

Yeah the new Resident Evils are all action and no suspense.

Although the regenerators from Res4 were ****ed up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The first resident evil was scary enough too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement