Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest game you ever played?

Options
  • 20-12-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

For me its Dead Space.

It literally gives me the creeps!! The whole concept of being alone in deep space on a spaceship overrun by hellish creatures. And the sound track where at points you hear faint whispers though your headphones and random screams. Couple that with the fact most of the time I'm playing with very little health and almost zero ammo. Just enough to kill one guy or two and hope he drops something useful when killed!!

I played a bit of FEAR 2, it was scary at times but mostly it was just like any other FPS. Dead Space was scary throughout from the start till the very end!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

I remember breaking off the numpad enter key with the mouse I jumped so much, the first time a headcrab leapt at me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Dead Space was a superb game, some really scary bits, the silent hill games has a few scary moments as did the Resident Evil sequels but for me the original Resident Evil is by a mile the scariest game ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Dead Space had a great atmosphere. You were always on edge thinking something was about to jump out at you from the shadows. Limbo on Xbox 360 had a very creepy feeling to it. There was an air of menace and impending doom around it. The part with the giant spider had the pulse racing for sure. Lastly Bioshock 1 and 2 had some great scary moments. I think when the lights in the room went off and yoiu could hear the taunts of the incoming Splicers was especially brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 xRodge

Have just recently got a ps3 and have Dead Space, looking forward to getting into it!

I remember getting my mate to play Resident Evil on the PS1. Turned the lights off for atmosphere and kept very quiet at the bit where you walk through the long hall and the dogs break through the window. My mate was so scared, he yelled out and dropped the controller!

For me, Silent Hill on the ps was the one that scared me most. I used to always try to play it with the lights off when the house was quiet. Lots of nights, I couldn't sleep afterwards as I was literally trembling and could still imagine hearing the hissing and the slight scraping noises you get in the game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

FEAR and Doom 3 on the PC. Shouldn't have played it while wearing headphones in a dark room. Both scared the bejaysus out of me.

Although I do agree that Dead Space has an awesome sound track (checked out some of the tunes on youtube). Very atmospheric.

Silent Hill was a series I had to play in two minute chunks of pausing/leaving the room/coming back to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

system shock 2 on pc or maybe eternal darkness on gamecube...both built up the dread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

X-COM UFO Enemy Unkown - that often had me jumping out of my skin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Prefer my psychological horror to the cheap scares of resident evil and dead space.

Silent Hill 2 would be one ofthe scariest games ever for me. It's just so opressive and depressing. Wonderful writing as well.

System Shock 2 is an absolute classic and underpants stainingly scary.

The new one I'd add is Stalker. That game just radiates creepiness.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Was that intentional? If so, I tip my hat to you sirrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Doom 3 was pretty good from what i remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Doom3, deadspace, resi 1.

doom3 in its original form where you had to lower the gun to use the flashlight before the patch sorted that.

Deadspace zero gravity no sound and something flashes by or jumps at you.

Res1 becuase it was a league of its own at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

FEAR

Going round a corner to see the sihlouette of a creepy ghost girl .....freaky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Prefer my psychological horror to the cheap scares of resident evil and dead space.

Silent Hill 2 would be one ofthe scariest games ever for me. It's just so opressive and depressing. Wonderful writing as well.

System Shock 2 is an absolute classic and underpants stainingly scary.

I love the Silent Hill series. Its gone one of the most amazing storyline in a game. I love the complexity of its characters and monsters and the town itself.

Though I really don't find Silent Hill that scary. Like its thrilling and interesting but I wouldn't really say scary. The monsters are easy to fight off or you can just avoid them. I think the other world is kinda creepy. Especially in the 3rd and 4th game. But the rest of it you're just walking around finding clues and solving puzzles most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The original Silent Hill for sure. Going through a door into pitch blackness and the sound of radio static...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Dead space is for babies! not scary at all once you realise its all BOO!! mosnter closet scares.

Scariest game ever is Project Zero 2, followed lately by the un-****ing-believeably terrifying Amnesia: The dark Descent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Dead space is for babies! not scary at all once you realise its all BOO!! mosnter closet scares.

Its not just the BOO!!!s though that scare me about Dead Space. Its this sorta stuff you hear while playing it which creeps the crap out of you...

amnesia looks scary as hell though. I wanna play it someday. Too bad I don't have a PC...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love the Silent Hill series. Its gone one of the most amazing storyline in a game. I love the complexity of its characters and monsters and the town itself.

Though I really don't find Silent Hill that scary. Like its thrilling and interesting but I wouldn't really say scary. The monsters are easy to fight off or you can just avoid them. I think the other world is kinda creepy. Especially in the 3rd and 4th game. But the rest of it you're just walking around finding clues and solving puzzles most of the time.

You see the BOO! monster closets as they have been described just don't do anything for me. The games might have been easy but even going int a new area in Silent Hill would have you apprehensive about visiting it. It's more a lingering dread created by the atmosphere inthe game. It's much harder to create that than the monster closets from other games and is better in my opinion.

Saying that Dead Space had it's moments like the bit when you come across all the embyros in the jars, now that was creepy. I do like Dead Space but just prefer a psychological horror like System Shock 2 or Stalker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The haunted Cathedral in Thief and the Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3 were classics.

The original AVP's human campaign was terrifying.

FEAR had some decent psychological stuff in it. So did STALKER's opressive claustrophobic underground levels. And Metro 2033 wrote the book on claustrophobic creepy scary.

An underappreciated gem in horror was Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. The parts of the game that tried to be a shooter were pretty awful, but the rest was fantastically creepy. The insanity mechanic was lovely, messing about with the screen, hearing voices, and if it got too bad, putting a gun in your mouth and ending it all right there.

And Clive Barker's Undying was just f*cking fantastic.

"Doom 3" and "horror" don't really deserve to be in the same sentence unless it includes "completely lacks".

Sarky wrote: »

And Clive Barker's Undying was just f*cking fantastic.

Agree.
    Sarky wrote: »
    "Doom 3" and "horror" don't really deserve to be in the same sentence unless it includes "completely lacks".

I'm sorry...............what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I do think Dead Space has that psychological horror aspect to it as well. There were moments when i'd have a feeling that an attack was imminent only to find nothing would happen. Then when i thought i was safe i'd be caught offguard.

I think the subway tunnels in fallout 3 deserve a mention. There have been a few times i've been exploring through them and got jumped by a feral ghoul from behind. Neraly fell out of my chair when that happened.

Resistance 1 + 2 have some creepy moments as well. Going through the Chimera factory in the first one is pretty creepy as you see the people being changed into chimera as you move through the place. In R2 theres a bit where you have to go through a dark hotel filled with those chimera that hatch from podsand run at you ,with only the torch on the gun for light.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Motion Detector in AvP. Scared the **** out of me. Walking along, hearing that awesome sound and seeing a blip on the radar, only for it to be a door closing or a rat moving. Moving along, seeing more blips coming straight at you, and you start spraying bullets everywhere in the hopes of hitting something. Brilliant.

Also, System Shock 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Motion Detector in AvP. Scared the **** out of me. Walking along, hearing that awesome sound and seeing a blip on the radar, only for it to be a door closing or a rat moving. Moving along, seeing more blips coming straight at you, and you start spraying bullets everywhere in the hopes of hitting something. Brilliant.

Also, System Shock 2.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

In fairness to Dead Space it does monster closet horror much better than Doom3 did.

I was always creeped out by Condemned. It had an oppressive atmosphere that appeared to drag you into madness as you brutally fought your way through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

This was quite freaky at the time,excellent game,never hear much about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

As mentioned earlier Dead Space is pretty terrifying though the game that freaked me out the most has to be Condemned. While monsters in space can be scary the somewhat realistic setting of Condemned scared the living bejesus out of me, so much so that I had to stop playing it and have yet to work up the nerve to pick it up again and finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 grunge_kid

Agreed! Condemned had to have been one of the scariest game that i have played, along with its sequel. I have to say there were points in that came were i just had to stop playing! :o Like near the begining when you are in the hospital and the wheel chair moves as your turning the corner :p

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

thats a hard one for me because i dont really think there were any games that "scared" me, just jump outs

the suffering was definately one that kind of got me there

the first zombie hidden around the corner in resident evil 1 was scary (but only because you couldnt see him)

thief had a scary moment of zombies nothing major

the feral ghouls in fallout 3 got a jumpy moment or 2

nazi zombies was not scary but had the adrenaline going when you were on like round 20 after all your team mates were dead

i have never had the time to get around to dead space but i am really looking forward to it

now people that are afraid of the game fear.... i cannot understand why?
    i followed the little girl (insert pedobear image here) to see if you could find anything interesting (i never did:( )

there was also eternal darkness which was supposed to be scary but just made me question my sanity

i cant really say there has ever been a game that ever kept me awake or made me scared to go into a dark basement though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

definetly clive barker's undying. Doom3 was a close second, but the howlers in CBU really gave me the shivers

now people that are afraid of the game fear.... i cannot understand why?
    i followed the little girl (insert pedobear image here) to see if you could find anything interesting (i never did:( )

Ah c'mon! The suspense. The shocks. Her crawling towards you from behind a burst steaming pipe. The bit in the elevator. And when she appears at the top of the stairs and Fettel at the bottom! C'MON! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

chin_grin wrote: »
    Ah c'mon! The suspense. The shocks. Her crawling towards you from behind a burst steaming pipe. The bit in the elevator. And when she appears at the top of the stairs and Fettel at the bottom! C'MON! :D

the only part that ever slightly scared me about that game was when you were going through the air ducts and she runs around a corner at you like a dog

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement