Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froyo for Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Dbaby

Did you just update kies or do you download and install? Also have you full kies installed or just the phone part? Im checking like every 5 minutes now because one of my friends has it now too!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Was offered this this afternoon.Installed , no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I connected my phone (Galaxy S on Meteor Bill Pay) to my laptop and ran Kies. It offered me the firmware update. I'll install it later on tonight. :)

Has anyone from Meteor tried to upgrade and still cant?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Dbaby wrote: »
    Has anyone from Meteor tried to upgrade and still cant?

Me :(

Attached screenshot of what I'm seeing. Maybe it's done based on version, I dunno.

• Advertisement

Thats exactly what I have....did you buy your phone from the carphone warehouse?? Shouldn't be surprised really....samsung originally announced this is September!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Kies is the biggest piece of shit software I have EVER seen. Can't get the damn thing to work. I'd take Nokia PC Suite over this even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

RonnieL wrote: »
    Me :(

Attached screenshot of what I'm seeing. Maybe it's done based on version, I dunno.

exactly what I have too :mad:

Has anyone that has upgraded got the this devices firmware cannot be upgraded message??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Kies is the biggest piece of shit software I have EVER seen. Can't get the damn thing to work. I'd take Nokia PC Suite over this even.

Are you getting the "Mainstage has stopped working" message?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

I didnt really mind waiting for the official froyo to come out but now that most people seem to be able to get it, I'm getting seriously fcuking pissed off that I cant.
    Sort it out Samsung!!!!

I know I was happy waiting till Friday! I'd say we can give up for now...not like the update is going to happen while no on is working!

Are you getting the "Mainstage has stopped working" message?
    Nah, the stupid flashing every five seconds mtp thingy. Even with SD cards taken out to avoid the filename issue. Disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Nah, the stupid flashing every five seconds mtp thingy. Even with SD cards taken out to avoid the filename issue. Disaster

Same here. Junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 philipjmurphy

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear that some of you have had a bad experience with upgrade. I upgraded my phone yesterday and I love it. Flash in internet browser, USB tethering, Wireless hotspot all working - super cool phone.

Cheers,

Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Meteor Bill pay

Just upgraded smoothly with KIES , gonna play around with it tomorrow and report back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear that some of you have had a bad experience with upgrade. I upgraded my phone yesterday and I love it. Flash in internet browser, USB tethering, Wireless hotspot all working - super cool phone.

Cheers,

Philip

Do you happen to know what you need on your PC to make USB tethering work? Is it Kies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Riva

I had the same problem,unmounted all cards, external and internal, no dice.Read somewhere that Kies doesn't support names over 16 characters, but I'm sure you know that.IF you've ever used the sound hound app, there's a cache folder in the internal memory.Wipe the files in there.I think the path is soundhound>cache

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I connected my phone (Galaxy S on Meteor Bill Pay) to my laptop and ran Kies. It offered me the firmware update. I'll install it later on tonight. :)

Just installed Froyo now, everything went smoothly :cool:
    I've attached images of the Kies version I have installed, and also the firmware upgrade message detailing what version I had and what I have upgraded to now.

Riva wrote: »
    I had the same problem,unmounted all cards, external and internal, no dice.Read somewhere that Kies doesn't support names over 16 characters, but I'm sure you know that.IF you've ever used the sound hound app, there's a cache folder in the internal memory.Wipe the files in there.I think the path is soundhound>cache

Hope this helps
    I'll give that a shot later on. Cheers.

• Advertisement

I'll give that a shot later on. Cheers.

I just formatted the storage and will connect now. So if you want to upgrade the phone, don't use it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Wow man this 2.2 is amazing. I actually feel cooler than usual, and ladies are walking up to me in the street and giving me gifts and their phone numbers, all manner of crazy stuff. Is everyone else getting this effect too?
    (2.1 losers obviously needn't answer)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

RonnieL wrote: »
    Wow, you preempted my question!

I'm looking forward to seeing if the skype app will work on the galaxy s running 2.2 - I think it should but I'll believe it when I see it. I have had problems with my 2.1 handset lagging, and the battery life is poor - I'm hoping 2.2 will improve things on both fronts.

I can confirm Skype now works.
    I upgraded to 2.2 today and i have to say other than flash i didn't see much of an upgrade.
    Why are some people going on about USB teather and WIFI hotspot now.
    I could always do that with 2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I managed to connect to Kies when the SD cards were in but it wouldn't upgrade the firmware so I unmounted them and now it won't connect and is flashing the MTP thing on my phone and won't connect.

ugh.

I just want my phone to be less damn laggy.

Xiney wrote: »
    I managed to connect to Kies when the SD cards were in but it wouldn't upgrade the firmware so I unmounted them and now it won't connect and is flashing the MTP thing on my phone and won't connect.

ugh.

I just want my phone to be less damn laggy.
    I tried again this afternoon with no luck whatsoever.

No idea what the problem is. Rubbish software altogether, the phone is clearly connected.

well I re-mounted the SD cards and now it will connect again but it still won't upgrade the firmware :mad:

Xiney wrote: »
    well I re-mounted the SD cards and now it will connect again but it still won't upgrade the firmware :mad:

What network?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

Upgraded today on meteor with no hassle off kies. Its awesome watching live tv on your phone. Excellent.

Upgraded today on meteor with no hassle off kies. Its awesome watching live tv on your phone. Excellent.

Did you buy from the carphone warehouse??

• Advertisement

JustinOval wrote: »
    What network?

Meteor Billpay - bought in a meteor store.

Advertisement