Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Well my extremely reliable source has told me they are live since the 1st... in County Louth anyways....

I got a ticket in the post yesterday for doing 65kmh on the Clontarf road, the date on the ticket was the 30th of Oct. The strange thing is that the photo of the reg is of the back of the car?

Is this from one of the new vans? I always thought that the Garda gatso vans took pictures of the front of the car, also it was at night probably from the other side of the road as I didn't see the flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

I say you were caught by one of the new systems mostly used in the private cars not garda cars they have being around i have heard !

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

just outside Carrick-on-Suir heading towards Waterford

from the exif:
    <exif:GPSLatitude>52,21.39N</exif:GPSLatitude>
    <exif:GPSLongitude>7,21.61W</exif:GPSLongitude>

• Registered Users Posts: 25 The Major

Just received this email from a friend in work.

See link with camera locations below
    Beware of white vans as of next week...

The vans move within these zones they not going to be at fixed points, mostly white Iveco Vans & Ford Transit, some are plain with a camera sign on the back of them, some have Garda on them with again the camera symbol on the back.

The Iveco Vans have KY (Kerry) reg plates as the company who won the tender are based down there. Has been reported they have been papping people doing the actual speed limit on the road so make sure your very careful 5/10kph grace is all thats being given. They will be finished testing and caliberating all the cameras by the 16th November which is when it's all due to go live.

Attached link shows where these new speed detection vans will be parked

It should be brought to your attention that a private company, in unmarked vans, are now doing the checks – so please be careful.

Use the hyperlink below to read about it. Each county's zones are available to view by using the appropriate link:
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590&Lang=1

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭stuckinarut

Jsut downloaded trapster on someones advice previously in the thread..

Already a big advocat, no sooner had i sgned up, took 2 miutes, it had told me there was a van beside work..

Low and behold i got up, walked to the window, and there it was..

Has already paid for itself by saving me €80 even though its free app!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Stinicker wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently got caught & fined for doing according to him 61kms in a 60 zone. There is also reports of how this Private firm is going to enforce the speed limit to the absolute tee.

People with Analogue speedometers (especially those in MPH) will run the risk of getting caught when they would not have even realised they were a fraction over the speed limit.

There is something very wrong in a private company having a monopoly on private speed camera enforcement. I am sure that such privatisation of policing duties is against our constitution and I am sure any sane Judge would see likewise.

That's a 2007 ghost thread you referenced... had the contract even been awarded then ?

IRC some years ago some high ranking Garda announced that speeding would be enforced in such a way, it resulted in up roar and it never happened, I think even most Gardai were against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The Major wrote: »
    Use the hyperlink below to read about it. Each county's zones are available to view by using the appropriate link:

Where I live there are two "speed trap" locations listed. One was used all the time until they upgraded the dual carriageway to 80kph from 60kph. All of a sudden they weren't out every day. Big surprise there.

The other I have never seen a checkpoint.

The start of the Wyattville Road coming off the M50 isn't on that map but has been littered with speed checkpoints continually this last year. The new vans have moved in there recently. Nice little empty stretch of road surrounded by a wasteland, at least 900metres of clear visibility on both sides, just off the motorway and a downhill slope. Shooting fish in barrel as they say. I would like to see the accident and death rates for that stretch of road that justified the decision to place a camera there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Anyone who thinks they wont be elsewhere than the locations on that map probably believes in Santa too.... If their 'test' (fingers crossed!)locations are anything to go by they will be in unbelievably unexpected and 'sneaky' places....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Heard an ad on the radio for these new revenue cameras, sorry safety cameras.... driving will never be the same again! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

The vans move within these zones they not going to be at fixed points, mostly white Iveco Vans & Ford Transit, some are plain with a camera sign on the back of them, some have Garda on them with again the camera symbol on the back.

The Iveco Vans have KY (Kerry) reg plates as the company who won the tender are based down there. Has been reported they have been papping people doing the actual speed limit on the road so make sure your very careful 5/10kph grace is all thats being given. They will be finished testing and caliberating all the cameras by the 16th November which is when it's all due to go live.

It should be brought to your attention that a private company, in unmarked vans, are now doing the checks – so please be careful.

thats the list thats being up there for the past year. i reckon there'll be a new list of locations put up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Is this for definite?????

Passed 1 each morning for the last three days just outside waterford city going towards new ross at about 6:45 each morning.:mad::mad: Was definitley going over the speed limit 1st morning but was just wondering are they just testing or are they live and if so are you allowed any leeway at all???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

just outside Carrick-on-Suir heading towards Waterford

from the exif:
    <exif:GPSLatitude>52,21.39N</exif:GPSLatitude>
    <exif:GPSLongitude>7,21.61W</exif:GPSLongitude>

whats the full reg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

-Chris- wrote: »
    Where? Link?
    Anan1 wrote: »
    You claimed that people would be ticketed for doing 100.01km/h in a 100 - of course you're wrong, and you knew it when you said it. It was rabble-rousing, pure & simple.
    Care to back this up?

Lads seriously, ye are the mods, no need to be jumping down the guys throat. Anyone reading his post with any bit of sense will know they wont be done for being recorded a tiny fraction over the speed limit. Relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

New Speed cameras in place nationwide from Sunday next November 14th. Safe Driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It looks like the whole of the n11 is on the list and the money pot that is Kilmac. Talk about shooting fish in a barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Thanks for the info OP. Thankfully since the introduction of the PP I have not gotten any.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

It also looks as though the whole N3 is on the list too. This should be interesting as that has been downgraded to a regional rd (?) from 100km/hr to 80. It's a lot quieter due to the new M3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info OP. Thankfully since the introduction of the PP I have not gotten any.

Neither have i thankfully. I wanna keep it that way too. Cant afford insurance to go up!

Hopefully this will help road death stats become lower although I cant see it to be honest

More likely its going to act as just a revenue generator on fish in barrell like scenarios as a poster above has mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

**** list tbh. They listed a road on my drive home as being in Kildare when the majority of the 6km stretch is in Offaly. I drive it every single day for the last 5 years and I've never once seen an accident on it so its baffling to see it listed. I thought the speed check points were meant to be in accident black spots or areas that are perceived as risk areas, neither of which applies to the road I'm talking about.

Money spinning excercise all round imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Lads seriously, ye are the mods, no need to be jumping down the guys throat. Anyone reading his post with any bit of sense will know they wont be done for being recorded a tiny fraction over the speed limit. Relax.
    Nice one New Approach I have said this before about the mods they think because they are mods they can say anything. Some of them can be very insulting and I for one dont like mods speak to people not saying any of the mods in this issue are bad but in other posts they are vary bad. Its about time they come off there high horse. And this is only my opinion !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I wasn't speaking as a mod, I was speaking as a regular poster (I'm still allowed to do that afaik). That's why it wasn't in bold.

I hate when people come on with "I read that..." or "a friend in the know told me..." and refuse to back it up, especially when it's info like this where people are going to excessively worry/panic everytime they pass a van on the side of the road. It's not helpful to anyone.

The worst thing is that now someone's likely to say "well, I heard on boards.ie that...", parroting this information that doesn't seem to be able to be supported.

I think it's fair to call a poster up if you think they're waffling - it's happened to me more than once. When it does happen, you put up or shut up. :D

rescue16 wrote: »
    Nice one New Approach I have said this before about the mods they think because they are mods they can say anything. Some of them can be very insulting and I for one dont like mods speak to people not saying any of the mods in this issue are bad but in other posts they are vary bad. Its about time they come off there high horse. And this is only my opinion !!

If you've a problem with the modding, either PM the mod or PM the Cmod. Don't take it on-thread, it derails the conversation and generally isn't constructive.
    It's against the Charter and the rules of boards.ie. Please drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Quazzie wrote: »
    Money spinning excercise all round imo.

Agreed, that list ends all credibility to the claim that it wont be a money making exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    It looks like the whole of the n11 is on the list and the money pot that is Kilmac. Talk about shooting fish in a barrel.
    The area around the bridge at Kilmac is too dangerous for 100km/h, the limits are clearly signposted, and we know that there'll be camera vans there. If you're not a goldfish you should be safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The area around the bridge at Kilmac is too dangerous for 100km/h, the limits are clearly signposted, and we know that there'll be camera vans there. If you're not a goldfish you should be safe enough.

That road is ridiculous, they cheaped out when building the DC and now we have to suffer a stretch of stupidly low limits. the whole point of the bridge was to separate pedestrians from the road allowing higher limits

having said that, it has always been a noted and obvious spot for cameras as it makes a fortune for them. no-one should ever be caught there as its so well known.

From the Indo article:
    It will also have to carry out surveys to find stretches of road where up to 85pc of vehicles are driven above the speed limit. These areas will be added to the list of speed enforcement zones.
    I'm worried about that provision, basically it means they can justify cameras on every stretch of motorway / N road they want as the vast majority of vehicles will be doing 100+ or 120+

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

To be fair, those complaining about the likes of the N11 and the N3, you now know that there will potentially be a camera on the road so its up to you to ensure that its not a money making exercise. I agree that their placement of speed cameras is going to be questionable at best, but when they tell you that there is likely to be a camera in an area you really cant complain if you get caught there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

Are the distances mentioned (lengths I should say) indicating locations and distances of average speed cameras or a portion of the road where on any of it you could find a camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

From the Indo article:

I'm worried about that provision, basically it means they can justify cameras on every stretch of motorway / N road they want as the vast majority of vehicles will be doing 100+ or 120+

Surely if 85% of cars are breaking the limit and there are no serious accidents or black spots on a stretch of road then it is a case that the speed limit is too low and not a reason to put a speed camera there?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

djimi wrote: »
    its up to you to ensure that its not a money making exercise.

Even if I'm never caught, it's still a money-making exercise to place speed-traps on wide safe roads while ignoring accident black spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭techdiver

draffodx wrote: »
    Surely if 85% of cars are breaking the limit and there are no serious accidents or black spots on a stretch of road then it is a case that the speed limit is too low and not a reason to put a speed camera there?

You would think, wouldn't you? But how are they going to raise revenue that way? Make no mistake that is all this is about, not road safety.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I would like to see the accident and death rates for that stretch of road that justified the decision to place a camera there.

That would be a very interesting exercise. I work next to the stretch of road at Cherrywood and the Garda speed traps only started when that bit of road was downgraded from 80KPH to 60KPH.

Advertisement