Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Perfect Program

Options
  • 21-09-2010 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

I am going to come back and edit this...as it develops.

Firstly, what are the majority of people looking for?

You have fatties looking to get stronger and or bigger.
    You have fatties looking to get fit.
    You have fatties looking to just look good nekid.
    You have twigs looking to get stronger and or bigger.
    You have twigs looking to get fit.
    You have twigs looking to just look good nekid.

Does that cover it?

Lets build some training templates and rules for all of these? If nothing else it will give us something cool to argue about for hours on end.

What do we need to do to warm up?
    What exercises?
    Set and rep schemes?
    Training frequency?
    Do we need Oly lifting?
    What does it take to build the perfect program?

Pick a program and lay it out...then the spoilers can start picking holes in it, the navel gazers can make sure we are using the right terminology, the google warriors can do their searches and see if anyone is ripping anyone else off...I like to be a builder rather than a destroyer so I will start laying stuff out and people can question it all they like...same for all...be prepared to defend anything you put down or throw out here...we can even hold little mini votes to decide what path the perfect program is going down.

So give us what you got!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

5/3/1 is a load fo sh*te there i said it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

I'm glad you got that off your chest.

Lets not label stuff though...if people think the best way to develop x, y or z is to Squat, Deadlit, Bench and Military Press and do consecutive weeks of 5, 3 then 1 then unload then lay it out like that.

You follow.

People don't have to post their 'masterpiece'...it can be a statement or a paragraph.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I like this.

I think the majority of people just want to look better naked.

My answers...

WARM UP/MOBILITY

The warm up should focus on hip and shoulder mobility and be dynamic in nature as they seem to be the areas most people have trouble with. I'd do some form of upper and lower body foam rolling prior to this. So say that's 10 minutes of work...

Roll - IT Band, quads, calves, lats, upper back, work thoracic extension on the roller
    Mobility - over and under hurdle drills, front to back and side to side, maybe some glute activation stuff too

LIFTING

The main body of actual lifting work would be done to increase squat, bench, deadlift, press and pull up strength. Assuming a 3x a week training frequency (for the average Joe, tho I'd like to see more)...

Have one assistance lift designed to increase the main lift. So say SLDL for deadlifts, pressing for bench, and I dunno... more squatting for squats.

Add in two more exercises for vanity purposes cos people are gonna want to do them anyway and it's better to rx them than leave it up to themselves.

"Bench" day becomes:
    bench
    press
    pull ups
    close grip bench
    upper back of some sort
    gunzzzz

"Deadlift" day becomes:
    deadlifts
    SLDL
    another hamstring exercise, maybe unilateral
    core work

"Squat" day becomes:
    squat - lower reps
    squat - higher reps
    unilateral leg work
    core work

The main lift of the day's done with higher intensity than the assistance and supplementary/vanity lifts.

CONDITIONING

This is probably gonna be an individual thing. The intensity/RPE will be decided on by the effort put into the lifting and general state of the trainee. Since they're training 3x a week, one could be in the short time range (3-5 minutes of work), one in mid rang (10-12 minutes) and one LIT session of 20-30+ minutes of sustained workload.

The specifics of everything will change as the trainee adapts to the system, so the supplementary and assitance stuff won't stay the same over the course of a year, the mobility and warm up will change as weak points/potential issues become apparent and the conditioning work has to be analysed to gauge how well they're recovery.

As for "needing" oly lifting - for the vast majority of people, no.

It's complicated to learn and become proficient at, it takes a long time to actually get good enough to move significant weight, for a weak person it's easier to improve power output by getting them stronger everywhere - That is to say, it might take 6 months to get a newb up to cleaning and jerking 80kg, but if you can increase their deadlifting to 120-140kg in that period then the strength developed there is probably gonna be more "functional" in an athletic sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I'm not really experienced enough to be recommending anything in terms of a program but just wanted to ask; how come you wouldn't have someone training 3x a week squatting more than once in the week, Hanley? Would moving the Press to a non-Bench day not work better for whatever reasons? Just curious, 'cause for example I saw next to no improvement in my press when pressing on the same day as benching.

I guess I'm just wondering why you'd pick a body-part focussed day versus a full-body day type of program.

• Advertisement

I'm not really experienced enough to be recommending anything in terms of a program but just wanted to ask; how come you wouldn't have someone training 3x a week squatting more than once in the week, Hanley? Would moving the Press to a non-Bench day not work better for whatever reasons? Just curious, 'cause for example I saw next to no improvement in my press when pressing on the same day as benching.

I guess I'm just wondering why you'd pick a body-part focussed day versus a full-body day type of program.

In a perfect world I'd like to see everyone squatting multiple times per week.

In the real world tho most people aren't prepared to deal with the effort that it requires. As I said in my post, what I've outlined is for the average guy trying to look better naked.

Keep him healthy by doing the mobility stuff.
    Get him strong by using a main lift and accessory.
    Get him "in shape" with cardio/conditioning.

The conditioning workouts could be CF style and include big lifts like thrusters, pull ups etc which are gonna have an effect on strength levels to an extent a well.

As for pressing and benching together, given a 3 day a week training assumption, where would you move it to? I'd make sure the conditioning work on one of the days is fairly shoulder intensive to compensate for the lack of focus on it in the main body of work. Pressing and benching can be alternated in the order in which they're done on a monthly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I can see this thread being very useful indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

You have fatties looking to get stronger and or bigger.
    You have fatties looking to get fit.
    You have fatties looking to just look good nekid.
    You have twigs looking to get stronger and or bigger.
    You have twigs looking to get fit.
    You have twigs looking to just look good nekid.

You have fatties/twigs trying to gain lean muscle and lose fat. Perhaps you can add something about a perfect cyle of gains/losses to achieve body recomposition. 6 weeks lift, 3 weeks cut pyramid type of thing.

Also, regardless of fattiness/twigginess i think you need to mention something about testing before starting said program and at what intervals to re-test. Fat and Fitness test it can be called.

I think what I'll do is to gather it all together every couple of pages and almost start it all over again. Put some order on it and put it in a format so we can have proper arguments/discussions about it.

You have fatties/twigs trying to gain lean muscle and lose fat. Perhaps you can add something about a perfect cyle of gains/losses to achieve body recomposition. 6 weeks lift, 3 weeks cut pyramid type of thing.
    Don't tell me...just state that...if you think that's the way to go...throw it out there.

*I do agree with it...so put it out there with conviction and I will give you a 'thank'.

Also, regardless of fattiness/twigginess i think you need to mention something about testing before starting said program and at what intervals to re-test. Fat and Fitness test it can be called.

I agree with that as well...so we'll stick that in as a program principle/guideline also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

ah nuts, ive just kicked off on 2 months of 5x5 with pure cardio on the inbetween days...its gonna be hard not to subscribe to this though!!!

xgtdec wrote: »
    ah nuts, ive just kicked off on 2 months of 5x5 with pure cardio on the inbetween days...its gonna be hard not to subscribe to this though!!!
    That sounds pretty good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I'll give it a shot at explaining my current program - this should apply to the 'from fattie to looking good nekkid' category.

I see it as the perfect program for me, because it's very easy to follow (training and diet wise) and I think it's optimal, that is I get maximum results from the invested time.

Generally speaking, people in this category need to drop body fat and keep as much muscle as possible. There are a few that think they have too much muskle, don't believe them (rolleye smiley)

Diet - gives about 75% of the success

Purpose: keep muscle, burn fat

My way:
    - keep calories at a slight deficit of 500/day - that means 1 pound of fat lost a week. 1000/day calories deficit is a bit much and is prone to lead to strength/muscle loss. Find a happy medium, as long as it's a deficit, the weight will drop.

- keep protein high, recommendation is 1gram per pound bodyweight, I find this is a nice target to aspire to, but don't beat yourself up if you only manage 2grams per kilo bodyweight or 1 gram per pound LBM.

Try and keep the rest of the allocated calories from fat and only a little carbs. This is not for superior weight loss (Studies show that in the long term, low-carb and medium carb diets (varying carb/fat) have the same fat loss results), but for superior diet adherrence - I find hunger is not an issue if I eat less carbs.

- foods: chicken, salmon, cottage cheese, eggs, veggies, some fruit, EVOO, coconut oil.

- TRACK YOUR FOOD - especially when starting out, you need to use www.fitday.com or similar, people are awfully inaccurate when estimating their consumed calories

- do not count the calories burned exercising towards your daily allowance - you'll only tend to overeat.

Variation/improvements: Intermittent fasting

- concentrate all the meals in a 4/8/10 hour window, fast for the rest of the day. I found that not eating in the morning is great for great results.

- allows you eat few larger meals, some people prefer this. Plus, eating 6+ meals a day (and starting in the early morning) triggers hunger pangs very often, the body 'expects' to be eating every 2-3 hours). Plus, IF allows me to eat what would be considered cheat meals, but it's ok as long as you're hitting the calories and the protein requirements - e.g. I have half a pint of Ben and Jerry's. or 100g Tiramisu, once-twice a week.

No, you won't lose muscle eating like this :)

Other diet options that I don't use too complicated/hard for what I need:

PSMF - fastest way of losing fat, should be done for no more than 2 weeks at a time

Carb/calorie cycling - eat more on workout days, less on rest days.

Exercise regime

Purpose: - convince the body it needs all that muscle, so use the fat stores for energy.

My way: Full body workouts every second day.

Key points:

- Compound movements: Squat, deadlift, Chinups/pullups, (DB)Bench press, rack pulls, OH press

- Hit all body parts in every workout, don't lower weight while dieting, could lower sets/reps for lower volume

Variation: -Full body workout every third/Nth day - as long as you're recovered between workouts, but not too long recovered

- Split upper/lower 2 days, then 1/2 days rest - if the full body workout takes too long

Take measurements - key to seing progress or not and in consequence, a key determinant in being consistent with diet/training.

Scales - in a calorie deficit, weight is going down. Weigh once a week in the same day same time (e.g. Saturday morning after waking up)

BF% - use calipers once a week.

Mirror - some changes are too subtle to be detected, that's why I use the first 2

Using this programme, I went from 103.3kg sometime in May to 88.6kg today. Still some way to go to seeing abs, but I'll keep at it.
    My strength has stayed the same or increased most notably on chinups I went from 1 to 9 in last night's workout.

The perfect program is the one that enables you to be consistent at it. After that, it's just a matter of PATIENCE. Sorry, had to capitalise that, lots of people want results yesterday.

Hope this helps someone or other.
    Take it apart boys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

This thread could be pretty cool. Great idea!

Hanley - if we assume that the majority just want to look good naked, be they fat or skinny, I have two questions:
    1. How many sets will they be doing overall per exercise, or per workout? I'm trying to gauge how long each workout would take. I have seen so many programmes with up to 40 total sets that must take about 90 mins to complete, which flies in the face of the prevailing wisdom from this forum!
    2. If we were to drop the vanity exercises, should they be replaced with MORE of the basic compound lifts? Rather than, say, close-grip bench press... just do another couple of sets of bench press? Or do we just hit the showers early, without bothering with the isolation exercises?

By the way, I'm not trying to find a miracle 20-min a week cure here. Just trying to figure out how to best manage my time. I'm sure this is a common enough issue for the average guy, and should be relevant to the discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I disagree with isolation exercises, unless you are training purely for aesthetics or are using them to get a bigger bench, squat or dead.

I think that isolations are a waste of time for someone who is lifting to get better, stronger, faster, for a sport.

Too many lads in tiny canterbury shorts and 6th year holiday tshirts doing bicep curl dropsets to prep for their match against blackrock at the weekend.

Lothaar v2 wrote: »
    I'm full of it..........great ideas that is.
    Hanley - if we assume that the majority just want to look good naked, be they fat or skinny, I have two questions:
    I always say this...everything we do is basically about sex...fat powerlifters like Hanley just want to look the way they do because that's what attracts other powerbears like themselves.
    1. How many sets will they be doing overall per exercise, or per workout? I'm trying to gauge how long each workout would take. I have seen so many programmes with up to 40 total sets that must take about 90 mins to complete, which flies in the face of the prevailing wisdom from this forum!
    1. This is what we are going to find out...when we come up with the perfect program...it is something I toss around often...we've athletes here at Informed Performance that do sessions that take 4hrs to complete...and no...I'm not joking. But that's because they have the time...I think personally that you can get what you really need in an hour or less. It'll be an interesting discussion though.
    2. What is the prevailing wisdom here on this forum? I mean that seriously...what do you think the prevailing wisdom is?
    2. If we were to drop the vanity exercises, should they be replaced with MORE of the basic compound lifts? Rather than, say, close-grip bench press... just do another couple of sets of bench press? Or do we just hit the showers early, without bothering with the isolation exercises?
    This is another good point...people always expect me to take a massive dump metaphorically on gunz...I have them in every program...I think the problem is that people don't commit to them properly.
    By the way, I'm not trying to find a miracle 20-min a week cure here. Just trying to figure out how to best manage my time. I'm sure this is a common enough issue for the average guy, and should be relevant to the discussion!
    If we can find a 20 minute cure we will...apparently that's what happens elsewhere...people go against the grain...ask questions...ignore dogma and make miracles happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

2. What is the prevailing wisdom here on this forum? I mean that seriously...what do you think the prevailing wisdom is?

From what I can gather as a long-time lurker here, workouts should take about 45 minutes. Anything over an hour is too much.

But then I see some of the workouts in the fitness logs, and they seem to go on forever! So, it's confusing.

I'm all for the 20-minute cure. I don't think it's going to happen, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

Chris89 wrote: »
    I disagree with isolation exercises, unless you are training purely for aesthetics or are using them to get a bigger bench, squat or dead.

I think that isolations are a waste of time for someone who is lifting to get better, stronger, faster, for a sport.

Too many lads in tiny canterbury shorts and 6th year holiday tshirts doing bicep curl dropsets to prep for their match against blackrock at the weekend.

As much as some people obsess about isolation exercises I think there's a bit of a trendy internet backlash about them. Doing four varieties of bicep curl before anything else is probably not a good idea, spending five minutes doing two or three sets of curls/s.crushers at the end of your workout isn't going to somehow negate everything you've done before them or destroy your ability to recover from the session.

Say 5-8 including warm ups for the main lift, and 3-5 for assistance and supplementary work.

What's the prevailing wisdom anyway?

I refuse to drop the vanity exercises for two reasons;
    1) They can help prevent injury and imbalance
    2) People want to do them. I'm talking about the average Joe Soap looking to change their body - they're going to want to do bicep work (say), and won't be able to understand why it's not there. They'll doubt the trainer and his effectiveness and not commit to the program fully. Half the battle is just going balls out on whatever you do. A sub-optimal programme with total commitment's always gonna be more effective than someone who half asses the "perfect" cycle.

Why not hit the showers? Cos if you want to improve a muscle group, you've got to train it. I don't understand how people have become so brainwashed that they believe all you need for biceps is rows and pull ups.

Why not add in more sets of bench instead of cgbp? Movement fatigue. There's only so much of something you can do before you blow your load on it. So you need alternatives that work in a similar fashion, but are slightly different.

From what I can gather as a long-time lurker here, workouts should take about 45 minutes. Anything over an hour is too much.

But then I see some of the workouts in the fitness logs, and they seem to go on forever! So, it's confusing.

I'm all for the 20-minute cure. I don't think it's going to happen, though.

One of the best ways to gauge it is just to look at the physical appearance of who does what.

This whole anything over an hour and your body eats muscle belief is just bullsh*t. If I do 20 sets and rest for 2 minutes instead of 3 during them, does my body somehow miraculously not eat itself?

By resting longer and working less hard I'm somehow harming my body??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Why?

Why?

Because pretty much everyone who's logged their experience here has gotten weaker on it.

Rep PR's go up, maximal strength goes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hanley wrote: »
    Because pretty much everyone who's logged their experience here has gotten weaker on it.

Rep PR's go up, maximal strength goes down.

this...

its prob a good maintenance program for cutting...or maybe if you were getting some form of unnatural assistance...but thats a whole other discussion..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Perfect program for me goes along these lines.

2 day split as follows, basically legs/push/pull.

Day 1
    Squat
    Bench press
    Barbell row
    Curls
    Ab work

Day 2
    Deadlift
    OH Press
    Pull up
    Tri extensions
    Oblique work

I like it because its simple enough and I think it's fairly balanced.

I'd always do some prehab/activation/mobility work before these. I'd rotate between bi, tri and calves exercises, rotating each day so if you do this workout 3xweek then you do bi one day tri the next and calves the next etc.

Id sometimes superset the upper body exercises depending on time available or circumstances.

Pick apart at will, I'd like to see if other people think there's much wrong with it.

this...

its prob a good maintenance program for cutting...

It's really not. Remember how badly my lifting fell apart on it!?

Just quickly jotting down bits and pieces while actually doing some work here.

I'm not looking to take anyones program to pieces here. I'll defo put down what I think is good just like everyone else is doing. I can think of lots of different ways to 'get the job' done...if you asked me to ditch what I currently do and do something else completely different I could do that easily actually. I can think of lots and lots of great ways to get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Hanley wrote: »
    The warm up should focus on hip and shoulder mobility and be dynamic in nature as they seem to be the areas most people have trouble with. I'd do some form of upper and lower body foam rolling prior to this. So say that's 10 minutes of work...

Roll - IT Band, quads, calves, lats, upper back, work thoracic extension on the roller
    Mobility - over and under hurdle drills, front to back and side to side, maybe some glute activation stuff too

I wouldn't have thought foam rolling pre workout is a good idea, I'd see it as similar to static stretching and relaxing your muscles pre workout which I always thought was bad for performance. I'l happily admit I don't know a lot about foam rolling but mylself I leave it to post workout or just at home whenever the mood takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I like Scuba Steves programme.
    But I don't know about the abs/oblique stuff cos I don't know how to do them.
    Also I'm not sure why the triceps stuff cos I'm already doing bench and OH Press.

But I may soon be doing something that involves maintaining strength while shifting a bit of fat. I'm not sure that would be ideal for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭testikle

heres what i do,takes about 45-55 minutes excluding warm up

5- 10 min jog to warm up followed by stretching

day 1 legs,back,core,

squat 5-7 sets,this includes warm up,2 x 8 and 5 x 5
    deadlift 5-7 sets,includes warm up,2 x 8 warm up 5 x 5
    calf raises 3 x 10
    pull- ups(palms facing) 4 x 8
    pull ups (hammer curl grip)3 x 8
    bent over row 5-7 sets,this includes warm up.usually 6-10 reps.
    abs 3 types of 3 x 12

day 2 chest,shoulders ,triceps
    barbell bench 5-7 sets,includes wu,6-10 reps
    dumbell bench/dumbell fly 4 x 8
    dips 4 x 8-10
    tricep 4 x 8-10
    shoulder press 4 x 8
    upright row 4 x 8

Mad busy at work so had to change to this type of programme although i know its a typical split,i think it covers all the bases.I prefer a full body but its hard to reach a happy medium with work and family life while fitting in the gym.

I train 4-5 times a week including sat/sun so i throw in a bit more if i have time.

Any advice or tweaks would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Great idea for a thread Will, but surely the iprograms are perfection :)

My input would be:

Lifting days:

Warmup:
    Pretty much what the guys at informed performance do, as I've copied it and found it great, plus foam rolling.

Lifting every 2nd day:

Day1:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Row3x8
    Chin or pullup or inverted row 3x8
    Stiff leg deadlift 3x8
    Lunges 3x8
    Calf raise/Tricep pushdown/EZ bar curl triset.
    Ab wheel rollouts

Day2:
    Deadlift 5x5
    Military press 5x5
    chin or pullup or inverted row
    Glute ham raise 3x8
    Incline bench 3x8
    Lunges 3x8
    Calf raise/Tricep pushdown/EZ bar curl triset.
    Weighted crunches

Hiit conditioning/metcons on the in between days.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement