Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Minxy Moo wrote: »
    A friend and I also stayed in a haunted hotel room, that was ah interesting :)
    Do tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sligogringo

Thanks for sharing your story - for angels / spirits you should read a book by Irish author from Dublin, Margaret Brazil called When Spirits Hold My Hand

The book describes many experiences similar to yours!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Spirits-Hold-My-Hand/dp/1842233947

You can also find Margaret Brazil on Facebook, just use the search function - she is hosting a number of events around Ireland in 2010 (mostly connecting people in this life with loved ones who have passed over to the spirit world)

Enjoy!
    SligoGringo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I had a ghostly experience in a B&B before.

Me and the missus were putting the head down and we heard something going at the doorlock. Then there were loud noises on the door, something banging. It went on for 5 minutes then it stopped very abruptly. We slept very badly that night, but when we woke up the next morning we saw footsteps going up the corridor.

Weird stuff. I ain't going back to that B&B again I can definitely say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    There is a statue of Mary beside a Church on the Northside of Dublin (I think its Marino Church, or it could be in Clontarf). Anyway, the statue used to be in a standard praying pose when it was erected a few decades back. However, about 15 years ago the hands of the statue appear to have changed position. They are now in the "zombie like" outstretched arms limp wrists position with fingers pointing toward the ground. The face of the statue also appears to have morped into a grotesque scowl. Anyone in the Marino/clontarf region should check it out. Its a large white church flanked on both sides by similar looking old schools. The statue is on the left hand side of the church. It freaked me out when I saw it. Apparently it caused quite a bit of a stir about 15 years ago.

I knew a man who taught in a school just down the road from that church. He died a few years ago, but throughout his life he was deeply religious. He claimed to have seen various apparitions, and heard heavenly choirs.
    I'm quite a skeptic myself but one of the stories he told me was that he regularly saw that statue of Mary moving.

I always took it that he meant the a statue of Mary outside the school, but he could have been referring to the statue outside the church up the road (Marino has a lot of statues of Mary!).

I've never looked at that 'zombie statue'. I must pop down there and get a photo of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

face1990 wrote: »
    I've never looked at that 'zombie statue'. I must pop down there and get a photo of it.

Please do! A photo would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

CorkMan wrote: »

Me and the missus were putting the head down and we heard something going at the doorlock. Then there were loud noises on the door, something banging. It went on for 5 minutes then it stopped very abruptly. We slept very badly that night, but when we woke up the next morning we saw footsteps going up the corridor.

Assuming you mean footprints - but if theres footprints then logically it was someone trying to get into your room. getting robbed would have been much worse than seeing a ghost. OR drunken B&Ber going in to wrong room

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Can't believe I didn't notice this thread, god I have loads of stories and encounters!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

god I have loads of stories and encounters!

Are you going to elaborate???:p

raveni wrote: »
    Are you going to elaborate???:p
    I will indeed, I was half asleep last night so I wasn't bothered. But here we go.

The earliest one I remember was when I was about 10 (22 now) and I was sick, my mam used to put me and my sister in her bed when we were sick (don't ask). But as I was lying there i noticed the door opening, I didn't take much notice as the window was open and the door tends to do that.

But I saw it was opening slowly and I could see the outline of a hand on the door, thinking it was just a shadow I continued watching tv, but the more the door opened more of the hand was showing. I starting calling out thinking it was my mam or sister but I got no reply, then I could see the outline of a head, it was like a silhouette and the door wise half way open at this stage so I screamed for my mam who was down stairs.

The door was now fully open and there was this shadow standing about 5 feet away from me, all I could tell was that it was a man but I knew he was staring at me. I shouted and shouted then I heard my mam running up the stairs and she got to her room, opened her door, I know I said the door was fully open but not when she got there and turned on the light which was beside this "man" and he disappeared.

I have more but I'll post them again as they will probably be as long as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I will indeed, I was half asleep last night so I wasn't bothered. But here we go.

The earliest one I remember was when I was about 10 (22 now) and I was sick, my mam used to put me and my sister in her bed when we were sick (don't ask). But as I was lying there i noticed the door opening, I didn't take much notice as the window was open and the door tends to do that.

But I saw it was opening slowly and I could see the outline of a hand on the door, thinking it was just a shadow I continued watching tv, but the more the door opened more of the hand was showing. I starting calling out thinking it was my mam or sister but I got no reply, then I could see the outline of a head, it was like a silhouette and the door wise half way open at this stage so I screamed for my mam who was down stairs.

The door was now fully open and there was this shadow standing about 5 feet away from me, all I could tell was that it was a man but I knew he was staring at me. I shouted and shouted then I heard my mam running up the stairs and she got to her room, opened her door, I know I said the door was fully open but not when she got there and turned on the light which was beside this "man" and he disappeared.

I have more but I'll post them again as they will probably be as long as this one.

Seeing as this happened when you were sick, are you sure you didn't just hallucinate? A fever can bring on hallucinations. Given that the door was closed again when your mother got there, I would be inclined to think that's what it was..

• Advertisement

Seeing as this happened when you were sick, are you sure you didn't just hallucinate? A fever can bring on hallucinations. Given that the door was closed again when your mother got there, I would be inclined to think that's what it was..

I probably should have rephrased "sick" I had a broken foot, but I have several other stories while I was of "sane" mind shall we say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Oh do!! Id be really interested in seeing that! Might google it now, see if anything pops up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

It was probabley the spirit of a familey member who had passed on just seeing if you are allright even a grandparent people we knew who have passed often come in visitation just to see how things are sometimes we dont even know but i can assure you there is nothing to worry about...

I've never had any experiences myself but there were always stories when I was at secondary school that the building was haunted.

The school was orginally a convent and well over a hundred years old. It was a boarding school at one time. The story goes that a student named either Emily or Molly (depending on who you ask) was misbehaving so one of the Nuns locked in a room on the top floor with a skipping rope and ball. Supposadly when she came back later to let Emily/Molly out the girl had hung herself with the skipping rope and the ball was bouncing by itself.

Emily/Molly is supposed haunt the school and I remember whenever anything weird happened like doors creaking or opening by themselves some-one would always say 'there's Emily/Molly'.

It's weird because there is a graveyard on the grounds for Nuns and students( when it was a boarding school) and there are some graves of girls called Molly.

I've had experiences where I'm lying in bed and it feels like some-ones sitting or lying beside me but of course there's no-one there. I'm a bit of a sceptic but I don't know how to explain except it's something to do with how I'm lying. I do know an old man died in my house(not of anything sinister, just old age and illness) but as to whether he's haunting the house I really couldn't say.
    If the spirit of that girl was unhappy she might not of crossed over into the light and would need someone like a medium to help her to go into the light where she could be at peace. As for you feeling something sitting on your bed well it could be the man who lived there or a familey member thats passed on just making sure your ok it often happenes nothing to worry about...

CorkMan wrote: »

How could you have seen footsteps in a building.:eek::eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

FECKER!!! Every time I look at this thread, I scroll slowly down in case you DO put a photo up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

My grandmother told me that when she was a young girl, her father had a heavy framed photo portrait of his deceased mother, above the mantel piece in the sittingroom, for years. On the nite that her father died that picture fell off the wall, and the back window flew open even though there was no breeze out. the nail was still sticking out of the wall and the twine on the back of the picture was still intact.

FECKER!!! Every time I look at this thread, I scroll slowly down in case you DO put a photo up!

I like to build suspense!

^^^^^^ Well just to freak everybody out......................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7294954@N02/1248412687/

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shoefloozy

A few months ago i decided to sleep in the spare room as my partner was snoring so loud and i couldn't get to sleep. This was something i regularly did...until this particular night. At exactly 7am the next morning the bedroom lights came on on their own and woke me up. I thought it was my partner playing a cruel joke but when i went to check outside the door i realised he was still fast asleep in our main bedroom. There's no way these lights can turn on by themselves as u have to push a button to switch them on. I have not slept in there since, i just endure the snoring! Also on that same day i went out to the gym in the garage (for 30mins) When i came out i saw the freezer door on the fridge wide open (we have an extra fridge in the garage) It definitly wasn't like that when i went in and when i checked the food inside, nothing had been de-frosted, so it wasn't opened long. I have no explaination for either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BloodRedRose

This never happened to me but i've been told so many times i'll never forget it.

one night my grandmother was minding my cousin for the night. My cousin was very young, maybe one... anyway that night as my grandmother was lying in bed she heard the bedroom door creek open. she didn't pay much attention to it as it was an old house. Then she felt pressure on her chest. She said it was like someone was pushing down on her, but there was noone there. She couldn't breath. When the pressure finally stopped her first thought was my young cousin. She ran into the childs room where she saw an old looking woman wearing a long white dress with long black hair leaning over the cot looking at the child. The woman then disappeared. My grandmother ran over to the cot but the child was fine and fast asleep...

Then she felt pressure on her chest. She said it was like someone was pushing down on her, but there was noone there. She couldn't breath. When the pressure finally stopped her first thought was my young cousin. She ran into the childs room where she saw an old looking woman wearing a long white dress

The pressure on her chest sounds very much like sleep paralysis, which has been mentioned a few times in this thread, and often causes hallucinations. But it's unusual for hallucinations to happen after the paralysis ends (ie. after she got up and ran to the child's room).

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BloodRedRose

So it could have been something paranormal! It was an old house, I'd love to check out it's history but I don't know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

So it could have been something paranormal! It was an old house, I'd love to check out it's history but I don't know how.
    no there saying its a medical condition,and that it causes hallucinations.
    look up sleep paralysis

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

heres a documentary on it, have only watched the first part yet tho. a lot of people see an old woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPMUz8RAjks&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I used to live in an old cottage quite close to Clondalkin Village,they knocked the place a few years back and built apartments on its old site,anyways,anytime I'd go to bed,didn't matter what time,within 5 minutes of me turning the lights off there would be violent knocking on the interior doors of the house,it would start lightly at the kitchen door and would progressively get more violent until it reached my door,it wouldn't stop until I got out of bed and inspected,then I'd get back into bed and it would start again,usually 3 or 4 times a night,I was never more glad to move out of a place in my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Hi to everyone, I'm really enjoying reading this thread and am currently reading page 9 but I just thought I would take a break to share my experiences with ye.

There may be a rational explanation for all of these, but they struck me as out of the ordinary. Make of them what you will.

The only one that directly involved me was when I used to visit my cousin's house (more stories to follow). This was during the day, maybe a Sunday, not sure, but there were a good few of us in her sitting room (more than 10) and her dog. We were all watching a dvd and there was no-one else in the house. Suddenly we heard this unbelievably loud noise from upstairs, it was as if someone who was wearing big boots had jumped off of something, and ran across the wooden floor. We all freaked out, as did her dog. Three of the lads went upstairs to take a look but there was nothing and no-one there.

A ton of weird stuff has happened in her house. One time she told me that she was in her room at night and that she heard what sounded like someone falling down her wooden stairs and landing in a heap at the bottom. Also, she mentioned that her brother used to see a man standing at the end of his bed. She told me that another time herself and her sister were at home by themselves and the chandelier/lamp thing in the sitting room just started swinging - there was something else involved but I've forgotten it now. Anyway, they had to get the house blessed and I think things have been fine ever since. We used to always joke about the spirit and I think we nicknamed him Ned or something. :D

I would love to have more paranormal things happen to me, but as of late I've been very afraid about it. I always feel that there is someone watching me from the foot of my bed when I'm trying to go to sleep at night and feel like I would scream if I were to see anything.

Edit: Was doing the washing up and had to run upstairs to type as I remembered this. It was in my old house I'd say maybe 6-8 years ago and I was in bed one night about to go to sleep when I felt someone/thing breathing on my head. I was totally terrified, and it wasn't a draught. I used to always feel that there was something in the hall of that house (my bedroom was at the end of the hall, it was very short only about 6 feet long) and hated when the sitting room door was open a crack for fear I would see something.

I had a dream one night that the Queen of England was walking up and down the hall, she wore a yellow dress and was really sweet but I told her she was scaring me and asked her to leave. After we moved from that house some guy told my mam that the place had been haunted. Bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

pookie82 wrote: »
    On the clocks ticking experience, that rang a few bells with me. It never went as far as me seeing or hearing anything, but for years I used to go to bed and hear a clock ticking to the right of my head as I lay waiting to fall asleep. At first I thought it was really irritating as it was faint enough, but quite loud when the room was in silence. Took the batteries out of all the clocks in the vicinity and still heard it. It seemed to come from the top corner of the ceiling and was really odd. At one stage I got so frustrated that I called my mum in and got her to lie down and be silent and she couldn't hear a thing, whilst to my ears the ticking sound was as pronounced as if the clock was right beside me. It lasted for a few years on and off and I learned to ignore it.

It's never happened to me anywhere other than at home. Still don't know what might have caused it and these days i tend to write it off as some undiagnosed medical problem. Your story reminded me of it.

This used to happen to me in my old house too! It used to drive me crazy! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lube5150

Last night i was in a friends house,he had just burried his dad that day before,and his mother had also passed away,we were just chating,and he asked me if i could help him fix a door hinge,that had anoyed him for months,right lets get a screwdriver and wood glue and fix it,we went out to his dads garage(looked like a small bomb had gone of in there)looking for the bits and pieces,,,couldent find a dam thing,spent 10 mins looking,then i heard a noise and looked around to see a plastic 7up bottle spinning,jezus it frightened the hs1t out of us,it just kept spinning,we sat on two chairs for at least 4mins watching this bottle spining,man it was freeky,then it stopped and fell on to an old cake tin,my friend opened the tin,and yes you guessed it,all the tools,the wood glue,and a spare door key,for the door we were repairing,still freeked out

• Advertisement

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    This used to happen to me in my old house too! It used to drive me crazy! :confused:

That clock-ticking sound was just a beetle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_beetle

Advertisement