Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

As you said it's murky. It seems open to interpretation and may require a legal challenge to sort it all out. The "without penalty" clause could be used to cover a multitude of issues but again without a legal challenge we may never know. If I look at the whole thing from a selfish point of view I'd say It's worked for me this time and if it never works again...well I can live with that. Like others I currently have no intention of leaving O2 for the moment but it's nice to be not under contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Kensington wrote: »
    True! For the sake of good PR, they'd be as well off to take the hit and make sure whoever writes their contracts never makes a muck up like that again :)

But its nothing to do with their contracts - its the regulations that are relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

O2 have the option of refusing to allow people to exit contracts early and instead they could simply not change the terms of the contract, then you wouldn't be able to invoke Reg 17.
    Cant understand why they are not doing this or similar. If they left all existing contracts stand and change the T&C of new contracts they would have almost everyone on the new T&C within a year with upgrades etc

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

micks wrote: »
    Cant understand why they are not doing this or similar. If they left all existing contracts stand and change the T&C of new contracts they would have almost everyone on the new T&C within a year with upgrades etc

I'd say they tried to sneak it in with minimum notification and hoped noone would notice. Actually i just discovered a legitimate reason to leave. You used to be able to call home from the uk using your allocated minutes but now they are charging extra for it. Pity that was a great service. Not sure that had anything to do with contracts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

OI wrote: »
    I'd say they tried to sneak it in with minimum notification and hoped noone would notice. Actually i just discovered a legitimate reason to leave. You used to be able to call home from the uk using your allocated minutes but now they are charging extra for it. Pity that was a great service. Not sure that had anything to do with contracts though.

Regarless of whether its stated explicitly in the contract its a change in the terms of the service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

OI wrote: »
    AFAIK, this was listed as a promotional offer only and the terms stated it could be withdrawn at any time. If so, since it was not explicitly part of your contract, by removing it they have not altered it's terms.

Kensington wrote: »
    AFAIK, this was listed as a promotional offer only and the terms stated it could be withdrawn at any time. If so, since it was not explicitly part of your contract, by removing it they have not altered it's terms.

No it wasn't a promotional offer it was standard practice. They removed it from the North of Ireland too but after pressure on the forum they reinstated that part. AT the time this all happened some people who complained were also let out of their contracts but were also allowed to stay with O2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just to avoid having to read the 600 odd posts in the thread, can someone please answer the following two questions:

1. Can I get out of my o2 contract due to this change in the terms (assuming I'm affected)?

2. If I can, where do I go to do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

1. Yes
    2. Ring 1909.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kieranwalkin

Once I am out of contract can I unlock the phone to use it on other networks? How do I do this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Once I am out of contract can I unlock the phone to use it on other networks? How do I do this?
    Request an unlock from O2! they have some terms and conditions depending on whether you're on bill pay of PAYG. It takes between 2-3 weeks to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

O2's retentions department opens again at 9am if anyone else is looking to get out of contract.

Fionagus wrote: »
    Request an unlock from O2! they have some terms and conditions depending on whether you're on bill pay of PAYG. It takes between 2-3 weeks to go through.

I have one other question, maybe its stupid. Can I not in theory get a new phone at the highest tariff and cancel the contract each day until the 12th of July?

I have one other question, maybe its stupid. Can I not in theory get a new phone at the highest tariff and cancel the contract each day until the 12th of July?

I think you know the answer to this one yourself

This has been asked about twenty times at this stage! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Give it a go and let us know how you get on :rolleyes:

Shredneck wrote: »
    This has been asked about twenty times at this stage! :)

Sorry lads, apologies. (I am a real lazy bastard amn't I).
    Good work yourselves though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

All done rang them back before they rang me took 2 mins.

Is it a matter of a phone call to go prepaid now ?

Sorry lads, apologies. (I am a real lazy bastard amn't I).
    Good work yourselves though.
    No worries ;)
    It'd be pretty cool if you could get away with it but I wouldn't chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭bazzjazz

Thanks guys. Out of contract with a quick phone call!

• Advertisement

bazzjazz wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Out of contract with a quick phone call!

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just after ringing up there myself. Got put on hold for two mins at the start, and was transferred to the specific department. Mentioned that I was ringing in relation to the change in terms of my contract and was wanting to opt out of my contract due to those changes. She did it for me immediately no questions asked. I asked was I still on a rolling monthly contract, she said yes. She then mentioned that she couldn't tell if these changes in call charges would affect me because I haven't even paid a bill yet and then had a look at my usage since I signed up less than a month ago. I haven't even paid my first bill yet.

I did ask if there was some way to get confirmation of this in writing/text or email but she said they are not sending that out. But she said that the contract commitment was removed from my account.:D

http://www.berryreview.com/2010/06/21/verizon-makes-recommending-service-blocking-bill-credits-a-fireable-offense/
    Verizon in the US has a new policy:
    Under this new policy employees will be sanctioned if they suggest that customers block services like SMS and data to avoid incidental costs. I know that my brother blocks SMS because he was racking up a bill for SMS messages he did not want to receive. Now Customer Service reps are told to direct people to buy plans for data and SMS to avoid such costs. On top of that customer service agents are told to avoid crediting charges unless the customer first asks for such a credit and even when they do they are only supposed to issue an initial credit. Not the best customer sevice move but its worthwhile to know as a Verizon customer that you need to request the credits and know that you must request these services be blocked since they will not suggest it to you. I you have a friend, family member, or significant other who is getting hit with these unwanted charges on Verizon make sure to let them know that they must ask for credits and have the ability to block such services.

It seems to me that vodafone might be following the same advice based on posts in this thread. At least O2 are customer concious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I wonder if enough of us agreed to go with the meteor bill pay lite would they give us a better price.

I wonder if enough of us agreed to go with the meteor bill pay lite would they give us a better price.

To keep you on O2? I'm sure they would especially if you are a high spender. Everytime my contract expires I ring them up and do a deal with them to re enter contract. (double minutes for a while, extra sms, free month rental...whatever I can get). I am by no means a high spender. I barely spend over my monthly rental fee. I'll be doing the same next month with vodafone at home broadband as my contract is up with them too. if they want my business guaranteed for the next year I want something too. I do it with all my bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

Just seen this on VF site.

A get out of contract for VF customers perhaps ? Can someone clarify before I ring then ?

thanks

http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/customernotices/index.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭bazzjazz

I did ask if there was some way to get confirmation of this in writing/text or email but she said they are not sending that out. But she said that the contract commitment was removed from my account.:D

I asked the same thing and was told to email customer.first@o2.com and ask them to confirm by email.

I've done this but not yet got the confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Sorry if this has been asked before -

I opted out of my 18 month contract (thanks Shredneck!) and am now on a rolling 30 day contract. If I decide to move to 3, can I just port away or do I also need to inform O2 in writing?

Ardent wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before -

I opted out of my 18 month contract (thanks Shredneck!) and am now on a rolling 30 day contract. If I decide to move to 3, can I just port away or do I also need to inform O2 in writing?

Just port away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just got a phone call back and I'm now out of contract. I'll probably stick with them to get the iPhone 4. I said the main reason wanted to be out of contract was that I had heard O2 would not be getting it until September. She said that all Irish networks wouldn't have it until then. Worrying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement