Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People from Northern Ireland are not British!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Most people believe Northern Ireland is part of Britain. Maybe he was just trying to highlight the fact thats its not. Its part of the UK. Hence the term, " UK of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

That said, I don't think this effects nationality. Approx 55% are proud British citizens, the remainder are proud Irish citizens. Under the GF agreement, this is a legally recognised right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Most people believe Northern Ireland is part of Britain. Maybe he was just trying to highlight the fact thats its not. Its part of the UK. Hence the term, " UK of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

That said, I don't think this effects nationality. Approx 55% are proud British citizens, the remainder are proud Irish citizens. Under the GF agreement, this is a legally recognised right.

No, they are proud UK citizens. That is the point of the entire thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

There is a running conversation about this over in AH right now, but nationality and state membership are two different issues. No less than Ian Paisley has said “I would never repudiate the fact that I am an Irishman”. But he would prefer to be an Irishman governed by the UK and not the Republic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I listened to what he said and he is correct.

Lets take for example Andy Murray, who is of course Scottish, he is also British. Rory McIlroy may be able to call himself British because he can have a British passport but his nationality is Irish / Northern Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Actually people born in the UK are legally defined as British citizens. Like I said, its a blurry area and people in Northern Ireland are entitled to define themselves as Irish, British or Irish and British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What Anonymous1987 said. Here's the background for his correct statement:

The British Nationality Act 1981 redefined the previous category of "Citizenship of the United Kingdom and Colonies" into three main categories: "British citizen", "British Dependent Territories citizen" and "British Overseas citizen" (as well as British subjects, British protected persons and British overseas nationals, all of which are much smaller categories - the first takes account of people including Irish people with a UK passport if they got it prior to 1949 and British India for example). The latter three take account of small exceptions only, the main ones are the first three.

So they've certainly legally been called "British citizens" rather then "UK citizens" since the passage of the 1981 Act (which became law in 1983) and before that in a justifiably informal sense at the very least. That's the current legal position, that they are "British citizens" rather than "citizens of the UK" but as I said, it's essentially a self-identifying mechanism in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Approx 55% are proud British citizens, the remainder are proud Irish citizens.
    Approximately 100% of people from outside Northern Ireland don't really give a toss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Camelot wrote: »
    According to Pat Kenny, 'all people from Northern Ireland are not British'

And you are contending that Seán Murphy from Crossmaglen, to take one of 700,000 native Irish nationalists living under British occupation in the northeast of Ireland, is British?

Pat Kenny, unlike you, is clearly much more conscious of the reality.

PS: The key word in Kenny's comment was 'all'; how unsurprising that your headline missed this, totally. Why do you even bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

All the Protestant people that I know from NI consider themselves as Northern Irish.

It is Great Britain and Northern Ireland, as has been mentioned before.

Another wee point, maybe someone can clarify, are British people "Subjects" rather than Citizens.
    They live in a monarchy rather than a republic.
    I don't know where this leaves the Northern Irish, subjects or citizens. Probably subjects of the Crown or Irish citizens, whichever pleases them.

enda1 wrote: »
    If you mean British as short-hand for The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, then Northern Ireland people are British.

Yeah, of course "Northern Ireland people" are British. The fact that 43% of the population in the Six Counties are not 'Northern Ireland people' but rather 'Irish people' makes your point irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

karma_ wrote: »
    You are just plain wrong on this.

Demonym for people from Northern Ireland is - Irish / Northern Irish

I'm guessing though that any quantity of evidence contrary to your opinion will just be completely ignored in fairness.

The name for people from England is...English, but hey, they are British too.

Not that it matters, we are all British as we are all from the British Isles, but some of us are Great, some are not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

danman wrote: »
    All the Protestant people that I know from NI consider themselves as Northern Irish.

It is Great Britain and Northern Ireland, as has been mentioned before.

Another wee point, maybe someone can clarify, are British people "Subjects" rather than Citizens.
    They live in a monarchy rather than a republic.
    I don't know where this leaves the Northern Irish, subjects or citizens. Probably subjects of the Crown or Irish citizens, whichever pleases them.

My passport clearly states British Citizen, the term subject was dropped decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Yeah, of course "Northern Ireland people" are British. The fact that 43% of the population in the Six Counties are not 'Northern Ireland people' but rather 'Irish people' makes your point irrelevant.

¿Que?

The name for people from England is...English, but hey, they are British too.

Not that it matters, we are all British as we are all from the British Isles, but some of us are Great, some are not!

I've often wondered about why they chose the prefix 'Great', I would have thought 'Moderately Good' or 'Just OK' would have been more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

my wife was born in gibraltar, is she british ?well you wouldent dare tell her she isent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

You are who you are, wherever you are. I'm an Irishman born and bred. However, my ancestors came from Scotland & mother is from the US. People will always argue about identity, down to what side of the road you live in :D

One of the benefits of living in a multicultural London is that here, you really can be who you want to be. I'm not for a moment saying London is better than anywhere else (it isn't!) but I finally felt I could breathe over here. But that's just my experience, of course. I still rankle when I hear "Londonderry" instead of "Derry"...

I do miss Dublin, of course. My heart will always be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I've often wondered about why they chose the prefix 'Great', I would have thought 'Moderately Good' or 'Just OK' would have been more appropriate.

'Great' refers to being greater than .............
    And in the case of Great Britain, being (larger than) Brittany.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Great = Large.

Like Great Blasket Island is largest of the Blasket Islands.

So Great Britain is the largest of the British Isles.

getz wrote: »
    my wife was born in gibraltar, is she british ?well you wouldent dare tell her she isent

She is infact Gibraltarian.

Great = Large.

Thanks enda, ruined my joke there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Why do you lot always make a fuss about this my passport says I'm british so I'm British I'm closer to britain the county down in fact it's on 15milw away county down is 100 mile

Camelot wrote: »
    'Great' refers to being greater than .............
    And in the case of Great Britain, being (larger than) Brittany.

Jaysus, I know what it meant, It was a joke at Fred's expense, you know like the joke he ended his post with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

They may have Irish heritage but if your born in England your English, Wales your Welsh, Scotland your Scottish, Botswana your... well I'm not sure but you get the picture.

Given that I'm not sure what to make of your apparent shock that people from Northern Ireland are Irish.
    I have Irish parents who lived in England in the 80's where I was born and then they moved back to Ireland when I was only a year old.

I hold an Irish passport but you are saying I am not Irish.

owenc wrote: »
    Why do you lot always make a fuss about this my passport says I'm british so I'm British I'm closer to britain the county down in fact it's on 15milw away county down is 100 mile

I think you better check your map again there bud.

mike65 wrote: »
    Who, apart from the most anal buttoned-down mind really gives a feck? :mad:

I don't know whether Camelot was excluded or included from that comment - but he's definitely there somewhere.:)

owenc wrote: »

Your posts keep improving.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    I have Irish parents who lived in England in the 80's where I was born and then they moved back to Ireland when I was only a year old.

I hold an Irish passport but you are saying I am not Irish.

You can be whatever you want to be, I'm guessing you identified more with being Irish so you took the step of obtaining a passport. I have no more problem with that than I do a Unionist choosing to be British, that however was not really what the thread was all about.

Great = Large.

Actually, no: Britanny is Little Britain. Although in the Irish 'Little Britain' is Wales, 'An Bhreatain Bheag'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

can i still be a priest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

You can be whatever you want to be, I'm guessing you identified more with being Irish so you took the step of obtaining a passport. I have no more problem with that than I do a Unionist choosing to be British, that however was not really what the thread was all about.
    I was replying to what you said.
    if your[sic] born in England your[sic] English

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement