Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the most frightened you've ever been?

Options
  • 08-05-2010 10:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I was out walking in howth years ago when i literally slipped off the edge of a cliff..one minute i was on dry land the next thing i was dangling 200 ft above the sea,holding onto tussocks of grass.
    I actually thought "this is it,this is how it all ends"..i was utterly shiiting myself.
    Somehow i managed to get a foothold on the cliff underneath me and hauled myself up by the hands..if i'd fallen it wouldve been curtains..no doubt about it.
    I'm not a religious man but i did some powerfull praying in those couple of minutes and i still get shivers thinking about it today.
    Anybody actually been in fear of their lives?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

When my i was around 12 i was at my friends house and while his aunt was visiting. His mother and the aunt went out for a while and she'd had left the window open on her car which was in the front driveway. As a joke we decided to release the handbrake and freewheel the car a few metres down the driveway.

My friend told me he did the same thing the last time she visited and she had laughed at it. But when she got back and saw the car she went ballistic. We had to run up to his room and barricade the door while she banged on the door and screamed and roared and threatened to beat the ****e out of us. This went on for about an hour before my friends mother was able to calm the aunt down.

I remember both of us being absolutely terrified mostly out of shcok at how she had reacted. We were able to laugh about it afterwards though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Degsy wrote: »
    I was out walking in howth years ago when i literally slipped off the edge of a cliff..one minute i was on dry land the next thing i was dangling 200 ft above the sea,holding onto tussocks of grass.

Has the literary intensity and style of one of Trent's adventures!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

When I was 13 my cousin (same age) had a seizure on Grafton St. and cracked her head off the ground. Luckily our other cousin was remarkably together (for a fellow 13 yr old) and we got her into the recovery position while we waited for an ambulance. I still remember screaming her name and watching her lips turn blue:(

Luckily she was grand after suffering a minor concussion!Honestly thought she was a goner!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I remember being in my friend's mam's car when I was about 7 or 8. It was a bit of an old banger, and there were 6 kids in it...4 in the back and me and another one in the front (these were the days when you could get away with that!) I was sitting nearest the passenger door and the car went flying around a corner and suddenly my door opened and I was hanging out! My head was as low as the bottom of the car and I could just see the ground rushing below me :eek: My terrified friend beside me was just pulling me by the arm and everyone else in the car was screaming! We laughed about it afterwards but I can't imagine what my friend's mam was thinking. I'd say she was dreading telling my mother!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The other day, as I rolled over in bed to be greeted by a giant fúcking spider on my pillow! Superman wouldn't have moved as fast as I did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

I actually thought "this is it,this is how it all ends"..i was utterly shiiting myself.
    Somehow i managed to get a foothold on the cliff underneath me and hauled myself up by the hands..if i'd fallen it wouldve been curtains..no doubt about it.
    I'm not a religious man but i did some powerfull praying in those couple of minutes and i still get shivers thinking about it today.

That would be like my worst nightmare. Sounds absolutely terrifying.. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

The other day, as I rolled over in bed to be greeted by a giant fúcking spider on my pillow! Superman wouldn't have moved as fast as I did!

Man Up! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Man Up! :P
    Shut your pie hole!! :mad: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Eldel

I don't want this thread to drift into phobias, but anything to do with heights frightens the life out of me. Being mugged on O'Connell St. Anytime I walk past the lads hanging around the shops. Most Haunted. House creaking in the middle of the night.:eek: Being the last one out of work locking up (very old building). Interviews. Being driven at speed is definitely up there too. General heebie jeebies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Sure you werent pushed!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Used to work as a helper in an abbatoir when i was younger. One day I was helping slaughter lambs, all I was doing was bringing them from a pen to the slaughter house,holding them while the butcher used the stun gun on the crown of their heads.
    So I bring in another lamb,holding him between my knees and 2 hands under the chin, when I feels the stun gun on the back of my neck and hear the bang of the cartridge. Next thing I know I'm waking up in a pool of lamb offal covered in warm blood and gunk.
    Obviously the bastard'n butcher had put his finger on my neck while shooting the gun with his otherhand.I had passed out.
    I can still feel that cold finger on my neck 17 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

In hospital I seen a bubble in the drip and said "I thought it was bad for bubbles to be in a drip", with that the nurse panicked, "Bubble? Where? What bubble?" I nearly fainted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Kind of similar experience here.

Was in greystones I think when we where round 15 and we where behind the barrier trying to jump up over a small inlet/cave. The jump was only about 2 or 3 feet, but there was a drop of about 50feet down to some rocks.

My two mates made it no problem, then when I jumped I slipped on landing and only managed to prevent a fall by grabbing a bit of the ledge.

I SHAT MYSELF.

I couldnt hold on or pull myself up. Thought, "this is it", until my mate who seen my slip rushed over and pulled me up.. Ah.... Friends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

When i openend a letter with a harp on it with the opening words"you have been selected for a revenue audit"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I remember round about 1982 or 83 when I was 11 I saw a documentary about what would happen if a nuclear warhead hit London. It described all the effects, the blast, the firestorm and the fallout, all in the minutest detail, what would happen to the people and everything around us, both during and after the bomb, what things would be like for the survivors and how those survivors would die... It scared the living crap out of me. I really was in fear of my life, and for everybody!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

staker wrote: »
    Used to work as a helper in an abbatoir when i was younger. One day I was helping slaughter lambs, all I was doing was bringing them from a pen to the slaughter house,holding them while the butcher used the stun gun on the crown of their heads.
    So I bring in another lamb,holding him between my knees and 2 hands under the chin, when I feels the stun gun on the back of my neck and hear the bang of the cartridge. Next thing I know I'm waking up in a pool of lamb offal covered in warm blood and gunk.
    Obviously the bastard'n butcher had put his finger on my neck while shooting the gun with his otherhand.
    I can still feel that cold finger on my neck 17 years later.

The bastard!
    Reminds me of a time i was out shooting rabbits with a friend and this other guy who i didnt know very well at all.
    I was standing at the end of the field beside a hedge when a bullet literally buzzed past me at head height,i would say it was within two feet of me.
    The clown had fired at a rabbit with the hedge in the background and missed,with the result that the bullet travelled through the hedge and nearly got me in the head.
    I wasnt so much terrified as bloody angry and my first instinct (somewhat heroicly) was to go to ground and prepare to fire back,i mean i didnt know this guy and he might have done it on purpose!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

when i was on my last year in primary school
    my brother was on his first
    we lived in a very isolated area, our farmhouse was about half a mile in from main road,
    we went to school by bus
    one evening after getting off bus, there was this car at end of our road, a rough looking man about forty yrs got out with a ball which looked to have spikes on it swinging from a chain, this person started following us swinging this ball, we ran for our lives through bushes ditches fields, till we got to our father and calling out him, if we had not been so thin and quick on our feet to this day i dont know what would have happened, i was twelve or thirteen my brother was six. we were torn bleeding from thorns and bushes blood gushing from us.
    today i still see it clearly as an adult, my brother has nightmares about it, some time ago we were discussing it, and i realise that it had a bigger impact on him than me
    we also wondered about those missing, and could this person have anything to do with it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Saw a bull running at full speed towards me as a child. Jumped over a while but I still needed a new pair of pants after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

When my i was around 12 i was at my friends house and while his aunt was visiting. His mother and the aunt went out for a while and she'd had left the window open on her car which was in the front driveway. As a joke we decided to release the handbrake and freewheel the car a few metres down the driveway.

My friend told me he did the same thing the last time she visited and she had laughed at it. But when she got back and saw the car she went ballistic. We had to run up to his room and barricade the door while she banged on the door and screamed and roared and threatened to beat the ****e out of us. This went on for about an hour 1 minute 30 seconds before my friends mother was able to calm the aunt down.

I remember both of us being absolutely terrified mostly out of shcok at how she had reacted. We were able to laugh about it afterwards though.:D

Corrected there for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Someone pointed a gun at me while they proceeded to empty the contents of my till...

For the ladies reading, I was all cool n' shít and said "Yeah man, you take that money - can you leave me some?"

....realistically though, I was like "I'm gonna be on TV!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

When i was studying for my Leaving,i went down to my auntys house in the country one weekend as i knew they were all going away so i'd get a bit of peace and quiet.
    The house is isolated enough and all the locals knew that the house was empty. Anyway i was studying away when i heard a car coming up the drive and start driving round and round the house really slowly. Then eventually it drove off. It was pitch black outside so i couldn't see a thing out the window. I literally didn't sleep a wink that night,expecting that someone was hiding out in the garden and going to come breaking into the house and attack me.
    Turns out it was only my cousins mate trying to see if he was home for the weekend :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

goat2 wrote: »
    we lived in a very isolated area, our farmhouse was about half a mile in from main road,
    we went to school by bus
    one evening after getting off bus, there was this car at end of our road, a rough looking man about forty yrs got out with a ball which looked to have spikes on it swinging from a chain, this person started following us swinging this ball, we ran for our lives through bushes ditches fields, till we got to our father and calling out him, if we had not been so thin and quick on our feet to this day i dont know what would have happened, i was twelve or thirteen my brother was six. we were torn bleeding from thorns and bushes blood gushing from us.
    today i still see it clearly as an adult, my brother has nightmares about it, some time ago we were discussing it, and i realise that it had a bigger impact on him than me
    we also wondered about those missing, and could this person have anything to do with it,

It's weird as that seems to strike a memory with me. Where was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

That is my worst fear, I would have had a heartattack:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

we went to school by bus

:eek:

Fucking hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Was on the way up to Joey Dunlops Funeral with a group of bikers, Ex on the back of mine. Some idiot in a cage decided to T bone me on a straigt just outside of Bundoran, almost lost bike, the weight of my ex kept the bike on the road..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

.. and our healthy, walking & talking, buy & sell all of us, third son, aged 18 months, was dead. That wasn't really frightening. It was lots of other things - but to get back on thread....

What turned out to be frightening was, 4 years later, we had another baby boy. We thought we had got over our loss, but for the first 2 years of his life my wife & I were terrified - waking up in the middle of the night with panic attacks etc. Neither of us had anticipated that we would have felt that way. This boy is now 8 years old. We are not afraid any more, we,and his older brothers, are delighted.

All of us still miss our son, but my wife, our older children, and myself , have all agreed that the joy he brought to us in his short life, outweighed the horror & grief that we, and his brothers suffered. We still talk about him, but these days it is in a fond, happy way.

I hope this is not OT... And I hope that,maybe, it may help someone. This is why I wrote it.

-FoxT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

we went to school by bus

Jaysus, what did your father say? What year was this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

:eek:

Fucking hell

Slightly Ot but i was staying with a friend in waterford about 15 years ago when two female friends of his called up in a state of sheer panic..turns out some guy in car had tried to abduct the two of them in broad daylight..there had been a spate of dissapearances of girls at that time,including JoJo Dollard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In hospital I seen a bubble in the drip and said "I thought it was bad for bubbles to be in a drip", with that the nurse panicked, "Bubble? Where? What bubble?" I nearly fainted...

makes no difference, would need to be a LOT of air for you to be affected.

I was on a Heprin infusion for a month and it always had little bubbles in the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I made that stupid error of jumping into a deep part of the pool when I was a kid!

I couldn't swim at the time so as soon as I was in the water and my feet couldn't feel anything my brain started shouting: "GET TO THE SIDE!! GET TO THE SIDE!!". I barely, and I mean barely, got to the side after manicaly thrashing about, coughing up loads of water. I just about had enough strength to pull myself outta the water before I passed out.

I came to a few seconds later, looked around and saw that the lifeguards were busy chatting to each other and nobody noticed me struggling or fainting. A bit good in a way cuz I'm sure I left a floater in the pool after that scenario that day :pac:

Advertisement