Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Had no love the guy to put it mildly and that hasn't changed with his passing. Amazing how some people change their opinion once someone dies :confused:
    Certainly would not have wished the guy ill though.

I feel for his family though and the media circus that is bound to ensue:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Dudess wrote: »
    Zzzzzzzzzzz

Once again, sanctimony central from people who didn't give a fuk about him when he was alive and won't give a fuk about him in a few hours - probably couldn't stand him.

Oh and LOL at all the comments at the start of the thread saying "This thread is awful, it shouldn't be open - his family should be notified first" which only served to... highlight the situation that it was being asked to dumb down... :confused:

I think Gerry Ryan was a very good radio presenter, often quite entertaining, and a highly intelligent, sharp, informed man. I also have my criticisms of him, which I'm entitled to as he was in the public eye and his death doesn't change what he was like in life.

But a father aged only 54 has died and that's a terrible tragedy no matter whom. I genuinely do feel sadness for his children, and all the others who were close to him.

no you don't. you pity them. i highly doubt you are at home, thinking about his children the whole time feeling for the poor creakures. and why would you, you dont know them.

i agreed with everything you said until that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Once again, sanctimony central from people who didn't give a fuk about him when he was alive and won't give a fuk about him in a few hours - probably couldn't stand him.

I hate that kind of false behaviour also, but to be fair, the majority of comments don't seem to be sanctimonious; in fact a lot of people have said more or less what you have said, i.e. they had plenty of criticisms of the man and didn't like him, but were nonetheless sad for his family. What you said would mirror my own feelings on the matter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dustaz wrote: »
    So its Boards.ie's fault that your too ignorant to know what your username refers to?

I dont see how thats the case.

Do us all a favour and drop the petty infighting crap now please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Mullins07 wrote: »
    The idiots on here posting crap about his death are the vast minority.

Only because of common decency. There's plenty here (who have posted and not) who would have lots to say about the man (myself included) but we won't do it here.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

yea he'll be missed. yeeeeaaaa....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,097 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dustaz wrote: »
    So its Boards.ie's fault that your too ignorant to know what your username refers to?

I dont see how thats the case.
    Im sorry to the Mods: But why the fcuk does it matter what his user name is?

Quit personally attacking the user about their Pseudonym.

Oh, and this. This is the only idea I have of what you're talking about, myself.

/done with that line of discussion...Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Serious amount of numpties have came out of the woodwork for this one.. Good thing i don't look at boards when i'm not in work.

Hopefully they'll all have legged it by Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why is everybody suddenly an expert on how everybody else feels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

aDeener wrote: »
    no you don't. you pity them. i highly doubt you are at home, thinking about his children the whole time feeling for the poor creakures. and why would you, you dont know them.
    Don't tell me what I feel thanks - I am always saddened when I hear of anyone losing their father. That doesn't require thinking about them the whole time though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Mullins07 wrote: »
    The idiots on here posting crap about his death are the vast minority.

That's only out of common decency. There's plenty here (who have posted and not) who would have lots to say about the man (myself included) but we won't do it here.

RIP

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ronan keating has just had his access removed for trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 speakeasy900

You can't invade the privacy of someone who is dead.

ps. get a grip

Of course you can, how much more of an invasion of someones rights can it be for the medical professional who picks you up blabbing about it to everyone? I think if your Dad was the one who was dead you'd be pretty pissed off that the Ambulance personell had a gossip about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Seachmall wrote: »
    It's not an emotional connection or relationship, it's a constructed one. We can only form emotional relationships with those who we directly interact with. Bonds need to be formed and trust needs to be earned, that can't happen in an asymmetrical relationship (unless the listener has mental problems of course, which generally results in obsessions/stalking/harassment/etc.).

All relationships are two way, if they're not emotional connections cannot be formed. If there is no emotional connection there is no emotion response and everything that encompasses.
    /
    Who are you to define any individuals emotional connections? Some people are emotionally connected to paintings. What about an orphan's emotional connection to its parents they have never met? You're black and white first year physc evaluation is fundemenally flawed and more than a little off topic.

RIP Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Overheal wrote: »
    Im sorry to the Mods: But why the fcuk does it matter what his user name is?

Quit personally attacking the user about their Pseudonym.

Oh, and this. This is the only idea I have of what you're talking about, myself.

/done with that line of discussion...Now.

Sorry Overheal but ENOUGH is ENOUGH. Everyone has been told to stay on topic more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Dean820 wrote: »
    The Johnny Giles 'death' was confirmed as a prank I think.

Is there a Prank Confirmation Agency?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I have listened to some of his show once in 2007 for about 10 minutes. I switched off. I won't miss his radio show.

However what I find most galling about this thread is that infighting and the scramble to the moral high ground about laws and where the news broke when it is - I would imagine - 15 millionth on the list that his relatives have to do and deal with at the moment. Navel-gazing at its worst.

I'd love to see the reaction any of those righteous posters would get from his relatives if they went up to them and said, well at 13:15.88, it was posted by x on y site, then 13:15.45 on z linked from y via a proxy server in Nepal.

Don't tell me what I feel thanks - I am always saddened when I hear of anyone losing their father. That doesn't require thinking about them the whole time though.

right yeah :rolleyes: you must be an awful depressed person so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

azzeretti wrote: »
    You're black and white first year physc evaluation is fundemenally flawed

Not my evaluation. Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud and Paul Ekman have all written about emotions and relationships. I'm just regurgitating. If you dispute it take it up with them, not me.

This is getting more than off topic, if you (or anyone) wants the name of some books on the subject feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

I still remember to first time i tuned into his show on 2FM inthe late eighties. He was talking about giant snails.
    It ws my first memory of talk radio. He'll be missed. my condolences to everyone who's lives he was a part of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nope. Stop being obnoxious maybe? With the rolleyes and the nitpicking it just looks like you're spoiling for an argument.

Just because you react a certain way in these situations doesn't mean everyone else is the same as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭liverpo

Clearly people are spilt over liking the guy or not, I fall into the liking him brigade and its a testament to the man himself with the outpouring...the majority of the big radio stations are remembering him and speaking very respective-fully, just looking at this thread also shows the interest and emotions he could evoke...not many people could do this.

Oh and btw Dudess you're a pain in the arse...sorry mods for going off topic, but it had to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's a basic human emotion.

Not everyone is connected to their emotions though, if Dudess or anybody else (including myself) is sad by this news, then so be it. It's not that difficult to comprehend that people are moved by the death of another human being, especially when that person is loved as much as Gerry. People are devistated, RTE is getting serious amounts of calls, texts, emails from people expressing their sadness at the news, people are crying and are very emotional, they are shocked and it's very genuine.

Doesn't make people dpressed, it makes them human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Drinking away at about 10.30 doing his wine-tasting lol!!

The man was talked about by everyone from time to time....

R.I.P Gerry, the airwaves just lost a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Seachmall wrote: »
    Not my evaluation. Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud and Paul Ekman have all written about emotions and relationships. I'm just regurgitating. If you dispute it take it up with them, not me.

Exactly. In 2nd year you'll be told to forget everything they said as it's dubious at best. Freud?? Hilarious......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Its getting a bit Slow on here

Currently active users: 7843 (1988 registered, 5855 guests)

Well there is over 250,000 registered members

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yet another poster (now deleted) for "ignore" for now on.

This thread really is showing up the trolls for what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

yea he'll be missed. yeeeeaaaa....

Yes, he will. Lots of people will turn on their radios and not hear a familiar and liked (yes, he was liked by lots, his audience was huge) voice.

It'll leave a bit of a void, and they'll miss him.

I will, and it doesn't make me stupid or fawning or a hypocrite to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

azzeretti wrote: »
    Exactly. In 2nd year you'll be told to forget everything they said as it's dubious at best. Freud?? Hilarious......

I'm not doing Psychology, and I know Frued's work has been criticised more than once but Ekman is the leading researcher in the field of emotions and a lot of his work is based on Darwin's original observations. Their theories are solid, and I'll take their word over anyone here. No offence.

• Advertisement

Nope. Stop being obnoxious maybe? With the rolleyes and the nitpicking it just looks like you're spoiling for an argument.

Just because you react a certain way in these situations doesn't mean everyone else is the same as you.

you said you are sad everytime a father dies? that happens numerous times everyday. in your post you went off giving out about people expressing their condolences for the man when they didnt like him when he was alive. yet you come out with something like that. it deserves to be nitpicked out imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement