Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I just followed these instructions and it went fine:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/41504-how-force-2-2-2010-ota-update.html

I now have multitouch pinch-to-zoom in Maps, Browser, and Gallery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Is there shift-holding in the keyboard? I guess I'll see in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Thanks that worked great. Multitouch is great, now just need to get google voice and navigation working and were set.

No 'cords' in the keyboard... damn you Eric Tseng.

I bought this charger for €10 shipped from Amazon UK, if anyone's interested. It's microUSB and compatible with the HTC HD2, so it should be fine with the Nexus One.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Micro-USB-Mains-Charger/dp/B0028QHJSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265220927&sr=1-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Is anyone using one on meteor and has there mms set up? cant seem to get it working on mine its giving me some message about the service not being available

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Baza210 wrote: »
    I bought this charger for €10 shipped from Amazon UK, if anyone's interested. It's microUSB and compatible with the HTC HD2, so it should be fine with the Nexus One.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Micro-USB-Mains-Charger/dp/B0028QHJSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265220927&sr=1-1

Will any micro usb phone charger work?

I have one that came with my Nokia N97. Will that work with a US Nexus One?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'd say it would work alright. I'm using the one I had for my i8910.

PH4T wrote: »
    Will any micro usb phone charger work?

I have one that came with my Nokia N97. Will that work with a US Nexus One?
    Should be OK, just check the current rating..

Thought I'd list a few of the apps that I use / have used

Twidroid PRO - This is a good twitter client, but honestly not worth the €4 for the pro version. I don't have multiple accounts because I'm not a celebrity, and the selection of colours you're presented with is absolutely abysmal.

Seesmic - I tried this along with Twidroid, but because I'm a netbook user I'm a bit of a screenspace freak, and I couldn't abide the massive cartoony UI.

reddit is fun - Great little reddit client. Really like it.

DoggCatcher - A self-contained podcast client, will automatically download podcasts for you when scheduled. Cost €6. I couldn't get Google Listen to sign in, and from the sounds of it it's not that great anyway, so I've gone with this. Works well, but the UI is very amateurish and I can't see it lasting that long once Listen gets all of its bugs ironed out and matures a bit.

Astro - Handy file manager / unarchiver.

Google Goggles - Haven't found much of a use for this yet, but it's good for impressing people with. Comes included in the OTA update (Build ERE27). Scans barcodes or searches Google images for a similar photo/object. I can see this being great in the future with identifying bugs or airplanes, but it's not there yet.

Layar - Augmented reality app, combining camera and Google Maps search results. Not as useful in the Ireland as it is in the US, I imagine, but there is a layer for the nearest Dublin Bikes point which is pretty cool.

3banana - A useful, basic notepad application. Can be used to take a photo and add a comment too.

WikiMobile - Wikipedia interface. Requires data connection.

ColorDict - Install a bunch of language packs which are also found on the Android Market and you can use it to look up definitions, synonyms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Apps i'm using atm are;

Google sky map: Point your phone towards the night sky and it'll show you graphically what stars/planets you're looking at. It's GPS based and very accurate.

Shazam: Handy when "THAT" tune comes on the tv and you can't remember who sang it. Put the phone up in the air and in 30 seconds it'll tell you the artist was and the name of the tune.

Google Goggles: Haven't used this much yet but basically if for example you were in say New York and there was a cool building you seen and didn't know what it was,point your camera at it,take a pic and google will tell you what it is.

Barcode scanner: I'm having great craic with this. Point your camera at a barcode,take a pic and it'll pull up a listing of that product online and where you can buy it and how much. I've tried it on books and DVD's and it works great. Not so much on Lemsips.:p

Ringdroid: It takes a tune thats on your phone and allows you to edit it to a smaller size or just use a certain section of a tune for ringtones/notifications.

SMS Pop-up: Pushes your new text messages to the front of the phone in a seperate window,including a quick reply function. Handy as yo don't have to go to the messages folder and open it up every time you get a text.

That's it for the moment but i'm keeping my eyes open for new apps that could be useful.

• Advertisement

Google Goggles does barcodes too!

Ah cool,i'll get rid of Barcode scanner so,free up a bit more room for more apps.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

but some apps use the barcode app in the background

Aha, like which? I was wondering why it was rated so highly in the Android Market when it seemed kind of redundant to me...

I'm going to repeat this : reddit is fun is great. It's very very very well designed.

Aha, like which? I was wondering why it was rated so highly in the Android Market when it seemed kind of redundant to me...

I'm going to repeat this : reddit is fun is great. It's very very very well designed.

Gonna check out Reddit now.;)

I have discovered the greatest Android game ever. It is called Robo Defense. So addictive.

nmesisca wrote: »
    so... any of you guys got the update via OTA in ireland yet?

Got the notification this morning about the update; installing it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I have discovered the greatest Android game ever. It is called Robo Defense. So addictive.

Give Abduction a try too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

JohnK wrote: »

ehm... couldnt resist and yesterday I have done the update manually.

mutitouch all the way!!
    LOL

Helped someone out with directions this morning by just saying "Directions to Haddington Road", and Maps popped up, which was pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 louis91

hi, is anyone using O2? im planing on buying a nexus one and i wanted to know what would the best price plan to go for with O2.

thanks a lot.

I'm not on O2, but since it's unlocked and unsubsidized I am on Meteor Bill Pay Lite. €10 for unlimited texts to Meteor, 50 texts and mins to any network, and then a €15 data add-on for 10 GB.

Got mine this morning.:)

On a side note,i was in Barcelona for the day yesterday so i decided to put the Nexus through its paces outside of my usual area and on a roaming 3g signal(Movistar). And it passed with flying colours. GPS and Mapping were still very speedy,regularly checked it at various points around the city and always got it spot on.Google Goggles successfully identified a number of landmarks,some of which i didn't know myself. Photos were successfully tagged as Barcelona. Facebook app was very quick in uploading pics. All in all i didn't think i could love this phone any more but i do.:):)

Good stuff, it tagged my photos as Vegas too which I thought was pretty cool. Have you checked how much the roaming data costs were though? Thats one of the big things I'm worried about - its grand while at home but it could seriously add up while abroad.

lord lucan wrote: »
    All in all i didn't think i could love this phone any more but i do.:):)

Mine was posted from the States 10 days ago and still hasn't arrived!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 louis91

thanx Baza210

Mine was posted from the States 10 days ago and still hasn't arrived!

Did you get a tracking number for it?

Good stuff, it tagged my photos as Vegas too which I thought was pretty cool. Have you checked how much the roaming data costs were though? Thats one of the big things I'm worried about - its grand while at home but it could seriously add up while abroad.

I'll find out on my next bill.:eek::eek:

lord lucan wrote: »
    Did you get a tracking number for it?

Yeah, see below. It was posted from Connecticut.

Label/Receipt Number:
    XXXXXXXXX
    Class: Express Mail International®
    Service(s): Insured

Your item left the United States from ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 2:15 PM on January 28, 2010. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

Bullet International Dispatch, January 28, 2010, 2:15 pm, ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
    Bullet Arrival
    Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, January 28, 2010, 7:12 am, JAMAICA, NY 11499
    Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, January 27, 2010, 7:41 pm, HARTFORD, CT 06199
    Bullet Acceptance, January 27, 2010, 3:38 pm, WEST HARTFORD, CT 06107

• Advertisement

Yeah, see below. It was posted from Connecticut.

Label/Receipt Number:
    XXXXXXXXX
    Class: Express Mail International®
    Service(s): Insured

Your item left the United States from ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 2:15 PM on January 28, 2010. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

Bullet International Dispatch, January 28, 2010, 2:15 pm, ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
    Bullet Arrival
    Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, January 28, 2010, 7:12 am, JAMAICA, NY 11499
    Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, January 27, 2010, 7:41 pm, HARTFORD, CT 06199
    Bullet Acceptance, January 27, 2010, 3:38 pm, WEST HARTFORD, CT 06107

Put your tracking number into An Posts Track and Trace,it should show up if it's in the country. Mine left New York and that was the last time it showed on USPS website. Tried the tracking number in An Posts site for the craic and there it was,sitting in Portlaoise.

Advertisement