Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hi All,

Just got a iPhone 3gs for my bday today. Am with meteor and would like to stay that way.

If I jailbreak and unlock the phone do I lose my warranty rights? If so should I use the 02 sim for a while in order to make sure the phone works properly.?I am totally new to the iPhone so I have alot of reading up to do in this thread!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Hi All,

Just got a iPhone 3gs for my bday today. Am with meteor and would like to stay that way.

If I jailbreak and unlock the phone do I lose my warranty rights? If so should I use the 02 sim for a while in order to make sure the phone works properly.?I am totally new to the iPhone so I have alot of reading up to do in this thread!

Thanks

Things to note....
    1.If you need to return your phone to Apple and they see it's jailbroken they will send it back .. Warrenty void!
    Solution : restore your phone ( via iTunes) before sending it back , this will remove jb.( that's if you can e.g phone totally dead can't restore)

2.)If your phone is brand new then it's more than likely made after week 40 , the only jailbreak available will be blackra1n " tethered" jailbreak.

3.)A tethered jailbreak means that if your phone is swithced off or looses power or app crash ( requiring reboot) , then you will need to hook it back up to your p.c ( tether) and re-jailbreak .
    Sounds scary but takes 2secs , with no loss of previous settings or programs.

4.)blackra1n jailbreak is painless and takes about 1 minute to complete,Included in the blackra1n jailbreak is the optional unlock feature blacksn0w , this is the part that removes the sim restriction do you can use on metheor .... if you decide to use it let me know I will give you a step by step .

Welcome
    M.

Mixednuts your a king among men!
    Ye I have just activated it via itunes.

Should I register it (via itunes) and download apps before I try jailbreak and unlock? or can I do that after?

Also can I use itunes if I do have the phone jailbreak'ed and unlock or do I use something else (sorry I am a total novice re iphone)

I do want to use my meteor sim so I will need your step by step help please.

I did have point no.5 in the above post , but it never posted ? .

5.)Some people report problems with their wifi and you tube after jailbreaking with blackra1n .
    Goehot (the blackra1n developer) claims that the problem is Apple's (3.1.2 firmware) .
    Others have claimed this to be correct as non-jailbroken phones show the same symptoms .

Instructions to follow if you want to proceed , but tell me what firmware the phone is currently on ...settings/general/about/version..
    also phone serial number settings/general/about /serial number .

My reason for asking is I need to know were to start the Instructions .

mixednuts wrote: »

Instructions to follow if you want to proceed , but tell me what firmware the phone is currently on ...settings/general/about/version..
    also phone serial number settings/general/about /serial number .

I just sent you a PM with the details mate

• Advertisement

Ok your firmware is fine (3.1.2) to proceed..

This is how you jailbreak

Go to HERE
    Select your operating system (Windows or Mac )
    Download to your desktop .
    Plug your phone into your P.C (If iTunes opens , close it)
    Double click on the "blackra1n.exe" on your desktop .
    Click "make it rain"
    Follow the instructions
    10 secs later ..your jaibroken.

On your phone you will see a "blackra1n" App .
    Open it .
    You will also see "blacksn0w" run this , its the sim unlock feature
    Install Cydia (This is a jailbreak community portal ) .

YOUR DONE -jailbroken & unlocked .

optional : Go back HERE ..and i recommend you Donate !

end .

PM SENT ;)

Ok your firmware is fine (3.1.2) to proceed..

This is how you jailbreak

[/B]

Thank mate thats perfect really appreciate your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying an iPhone, as will be travelling a lot in February and would like to bring movies with me, etc etc....I don't know anything about iPhones though :D

I just read a couple of threads here and was thinking of buying the 3GS 32 GB , was checking the price on the O2 website and it is 609€ (want to do pay-as-you-go rather then monthly bill). http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone/iPhone+3GS/Speak+easy

Is there any way to buy it cheaper?

Also I am reading here that it is possible to unlock it and use it with Vodafone (I would prefer that as I am currently with Vodafone), however how much would the charges be? I can't find anything on the Vodafone website :( ....these are the O2 charges: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone/iPhone+3GS/Speak+easy

One last question, how does it work with Roaming? Can I connect to the internet from abroad (Europe at least) and pay the same rate?

Thank you for your help! ;)

If your doing alot of travelling then maybe a factory unlocked iPhone is your best bet.

Factory unlocked phones are sold in Belgium , Italy , Greece , Australia , New Zealand & others
    Basically the laws in these countries prohibit the carriers from locking phones to their network, so iPhones in these countries will take a sim from any carrier world wide .
    If your in a specific country then buy a pay as you go sim , slap it in , away you go .

You can get an Irish phone and jailbreak and unlock , the jailbreak will be a tethered jailbreak , if your phone needs to be rebooted (loss of power , crash etc) then you will need to be near a P.C and hook it up to get it working again .

Vodafone are doing the iPhone now (via a 3rd party :IOS) so thats an option also.

Hope This Helps .

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

Hi Guys,

I was bought an iphone as present in the US for Christmas 08 by my mother. She got my the iphone but unaware that it wouldn't work in Ireland. Not knowing much about the iphone at the time and wanting to get her present to work so as not to disappoint her, I went to a phone unlocking shop and had it unlocked. It has been working fine since then and I've no problems with it.

I also think it has been jailbroken as the 'installer' and 'cydia' apps are there but i never use them for fear of messing up the phone.

I want to try to upgrade my iphone to the latest software update as most the apps i want to get require it and some of my existing ones are working funny or not at all.

I have an iphone 3G, running version 2.2(5G77), model: MB048LL and modem firmware of 02.28.00. Is this possible? or should just continue on? I'd prefer not to end up with brick as i've grown quite attached to it!

I would appreciate any help, tips or advice,

cheers

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

I was bought an iphone as present in the US for Christmas 08 by my mother. She got my the iphone but unaware that it wouldn't work in Ireland. Not knowing much about the iphone at the time and wanting to get her present to work so as not to disappoint her, I went to a phone unlocking shop and had it unlocked. It has been working fine since then and I've no problems with it.

I also think it has been jailbroken as the 'installer' and 'cydia' apps are there but i never use them for fear of messing up the phone.

I want to try to upgrade my iphone to the latest software update as most the apps i want to get require it and some of my existing ones are working funny or not at all.

I have an iphone 3G, running version 2.2(5G77), model: MB048LL and modem firmware of 02.28.00. Is this possible? or should just continue on? I'd prefer not to end up with brick as i've grown quite attached to it!

I would appreciate any help, tips or advice,

cheers

Dont be worrying about bricking your iPhone ..They are practically impossible to brick .

Upgrading and unlocking again should be no problem , just a couple of things first :

1.)Are all your apps in your iTunes Library .
    2)Do you have any Cydia Apps Installed on your phone ?
    3.)Which sim do you want to use in the phone ?

M.

Hey, thanks for the response. To reply to your questions:

1. I have most for my apps sync to itunes but not all.

2. I have no cyndia apps.

3. I have an 02 sim that i currently use. I think the unlock shop said that he would have to cut it. Would that be an issue

Cheers

N

I have no clue what the guy was on about with "cutting " the sim card ... In any ways ..

This is what you will have to do ....

When you are happy that you have all your apps in your iTunes , then you can updated your phone (in iTunes) to the latest firmware 3.1.2 .
    This will render your current unlock useless , the reason your phone needs a unlock is because it was from the States , correct ?

When your phone is updated to 3.1.2 , you will notice that it will tell you that your sim in "not compatible " or similar , dont panic !

Follow these instructions , the "blackra1n" part will jailbreak your phone
    the "balcksn0w part will unlock your phone .
    Plug your phone into your P.C , wait , (If iTunes opens , close it)
    Click "make it rain"
    Follow the instructions
    10 secs later ..your jailbroken.

Open it .

end .

Hope this Helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

stupid question, aparte from making/receiving phone calls, what are the main differences between an Iphone and an Ipod? :confused:

I have no clue what the guy was on about with "cutting " the sim card ... In any ways ..

This is what you will have to do ....

When you are happy that you have all your apps in your iTunes , then you can updated your phone (in iTunes) to the latest firmware 3.1.2 .
    This will render your current unlock useless , the reason your phone needs a unlock is because it was from the States , correct ?

When your phone is updated to 3.1.2 , you will notice that it will tell you that your sim in "not compatible " or similar , dont panic !

Follow these instructions , the "blackra1n" part will jailbreak your phone
    the "balcksn0w part will unlock your phone .
    Plug your phone into your P.C , wait , (If iTunes opens , close it)
    Click "make it rain"
    Follow the instructions
    10 secs later ..your jailbroken.

Open it .

end .

Hope this Helps .

Thanks for advice M, just did it there and everything went perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

modem firmware 05.11.07
    Can i use blackra1n?

will it affect 3g capabilities?
    its quick for me on 3g..

Using iPhone 3GS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭iKeith

Dannyboi3k wrote: »
    modem firmware 05.11.07
    Can i use blackra1n?

will it affect 3g capabilities?
    its quick for me on 3g..

Using iPhone 3GS

yup if youre on 3.1.2 with modem fw 5.11 then blackra1n will defo work. just follow mixednuts' instructions

Thanks for advice M, just did it there and everything went perfectly!

Glad to hear . Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

guys, I have a factory unlocked, week 41, iphone 3gs. I'm thinking of jailbreaking it but have a couple of questions.
    Once I run blackra1n and jailbreak do I continue to use itunes to get podcasts, music etc? Can I still use the apps I have purchased from the apple app store? If I decide to remove the jailbreak do I have to remove all apple software from my PC and reinstall?
    Thanks in advance!

PMC999 wrote: »
    guys, I have a factory unlocked, week 41, iphone 3gs. I'm thinking of jailbreaking it but have a couple of questions.
    Once I run blackra1n and jailbreak do I continue to use itunes to get podcasts, music etc?YES Can I still use the apps I have purchased from the apple app store YES If I decide to remove the jailbreak do I have to remove all apple software from my PC and reinstall?NO ..to remove do a restore in iTunes , this will remove the jb and apps but then reinstall the Apps .
    Thanks in advance!

See above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

quick question, i understand you cant download cydia without wifi, but can i jailbreak the phone now (run blackrain), then use the phone as normal till i get to somewhere with wifi?

Snub wrote: »
    quick question, i understand you cant download cydia without wifi, but can i jailbreak the phone now (run blackrain), then use the phone as normal till i get to somewhere with wifi?

yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crapmypants

Ok I need help. I went to jailbreak using blackrain and now I can't connect to the O2 network at all. Slightly worried here now. This doesn't seem usual at all. can anyone advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Have done a jailbreak yet, but in most of the right-ups it just says to jailbreak it again until it fixes it. At this stage it cant hurt, but someone else will no-doubt offer more help soon.

I tried jailbreaking it a few times to no avail. I ended up restoring the iphone to factory settings. Once it was restored, I unlocked my pin and O2 verified me again. I am just glad that O2 came back. I am going to mess around a bit now and see if I can jailbreak it again. I am just glad I have the safety net of restoring it if it goes wrong.

Thanks for the reply btw.

I tried jailbreaking it a few times to no avail. I ended up restoring the iphone to factory settings. Once it was restored, I unlocked my pin and O2 verified me again. I am just glad that O2 came back. I am going to mess around a bit now and see if I can jailbreak it again. I am just glad I have the safety net of restoring it if it goes wrong.

Thanks for the reply btw.

Good you restored , but dont worry Its near impossible to brick these days .

If you decide to try and re-jailbreak let me know .

What phone type ?
    Irish phone ?
    What sim do you wanna use ?
    How excactly (step by step) did you try and jb ?

M.

Good you restored , but dont worry Its near impossible to brick these days .

What phone type ?
    Irish phone ?

M.

I actually gave it one last chance last night and it worked. I sat back and thought about it and then I realised I had made the stupid mistake of changing the operating system when it didn't need to be changed. One I ran ran it again, it worked properly and my O2 was working again. I need to get to a decent wifi site to set up Cydia properly now so I can have fun with the thing but at least it is up and running. Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ryaner012

[QUOTE=

What phone type ?
    Irish phone ?

M.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I got a 3g iphone from a mate who got the upgrade to the 3gs on o2.

i used blackra1n to jailbreak it and it is fine but when i try to use blacksn0w either through blackra1n or going through cydia and going though the source setup, it wont seem to let me unlock the sim for using a meteor sim card. i am using the 3.1.2 firmware and the phone is working apart from being sim locked

any suggestions ?

ryaner012 wrote: »
    Hi,

i used blackra1n to jailbreak it and it is fine but when i try to use blacksn0w either through blackra1n or going through cydia and going though the source setup, it wont seem to let me unlock the sim for using a meteor sim card. i am using the 3.1.2 firmware and the phone is working apart from being sim locked

any suggestions ?

Are you getting any error messages ?

Are you trying install blacksn0w over a wifi network ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭iKeith

ryaner012 wrote: »
    Hi,

any suggestions ?

have you tried this?

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/11/unlock-iphone-3-1-2-blacksn0w-offline-without-wifi-cydia/

Advertisement