Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

eh, this is the official bitch thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭cson

Timetables are fair game for bitching imo :pac:

Was replying to 99er.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

The amount of reading expected of us by lecturers for modules that have no exam! Whats the point of doing the readings when we have 100% practical coursework!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

ninty9er wrote: »
    This is a university, what did ye expect? The timetabling system to revolve around each and every one of you? Why the big beef with Friday afternoon? And generally 1 hour breaks are welcomed to allow for food, pool, gym etc...

I amn't really complaining, but why would there not be a gripe with getting a nasty friday afternoon? Most people want to go home!

• Advertisement

Going to have another bitch. If O'Mahonys are going to close their UL shop on Saturday, the least they could do is stock a couple of UL books in their City Centre shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Going to have another bitch. If O'Mahonys are going to close their UL shop on Saturday, the least they could do is stock a couple of UL books in their City Centre shop.
    Fcuk Mahony's, they are a rob, go on to Amazon, way better deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

The fact that it took me 25 minutes to get from Brookfield to campus today. Why is the traffic so bad this year? At least I still got free parking.

Before someone says it; I live out the country so I can't walk or cycle. There are no buses. I don't work a standard 9 - 5 or 9 - 6 day so I can't car pool. I have no choice but to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Fcuk Mahony's, they are a rob, go on to Amazon, way better deals.

I'd second this actually; but there are a number of books you'll barely use in a semester which would make buying them pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Soooooooo pissed off today!!!

Have a lecturer that does nothing but confuse the **** out of everyone...

Try to sign up to the new email ****e for the last 2 weeks STILL NOT F00KING WORKING.

To top it all of the Ul student Portal is bollixed so I can't get any lecture notes!!!

WTF is going on!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Portal works again!!!! Finally

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Couldn't change my French tutorial group.

Must wait around for 4 hours on a Monday now. :mad:

2 hours I can handle (get food, take a walk, swim/gym) but 4 is too much imo. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 reindeerarmy

Mor disco, ok we know that its on, please stop handing out cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Mor disco, ok we know that its on, please stop handing out cards
    ^^ This :mad::mad::mad:

I'm sick of trying to zig-zag around them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

^^On that note, why was there a guy going round dressed like Buzz Lightyear handing out stuff?

Did it work? Were more people attracted? Did they mistaken the place for Supermacs Funworld or something?

And it's even stupider during Fresher week and Week 1, when all the 1st year stuff is going on.

I am a 2nd year...honestly don't have much interest in a 1st year party...

Agressive marketing...doesn't work when you invoke agression in your target market :rolleyes:

The smell of education milling around the library is haunting me... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Academic Literacy. Bane of my life at the moment

Lecturers who tell you to start getting organised and filing your notes when we haven't gotten any yet.
    Lecturers who tell you to be on top of your deadlines before we've even gotten the assignments which thus causes me to get paniky.

German History lectures.
    If you want a slow, monotonous, mind-numbingly dull way to die, I found it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

snazzy wrote: »

Lecturers who tell you to start getting organised and filing your notes when we haven't gotten any yet.
    Lecturers who tell you to be on top of your deadlines before we've even gotten the assignments which thus causes me to get paniky.

German History lectures.
    If you want a slow, monotonous, mind-numbingly dull way to die, I found it :mad:
    Oh ya I remember learning about william tell and austria history from the 13th century last year as part of german history class...

Now of course I live in Austria and have to listen to the same stuff with the addition of the difficult Austrian dialect of German.
    Still though the 2nd semester of business and german had much more interesting history from the 20th century on.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

You too huh? OMG I feel fit to kill someone over academic lits. They're telling us the same shhhhhh we've had shoved down our throats for the past 5yrs in 2nd level. I hate it, I really bloody hate it. All I'm thinking through out the whole thing is what a waste of valuble study time. Not to mention all the time and effort we'll have to piss away on those assignments (I might want to find out what they are) and reading about bull...:mad: And the way they go on about shannonlearning.ie and "How to be a student" as if they contain the bloody holy grail...If there was a rage smiley I would so use it right now - I HATE THIS CLASS.

AND I have three lectures one straight after the other in DG016, it's torture, I had to walk out of sociology, I was going numb.

Otherwise I love life. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dazzaq07

German History lectures.

Marieke and Jean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Our computing lectures are like that. Today was torture! It was a struggle to stay awake. I counted 3 people asleep and everywhere you looked around all you could see was people yawning and rubbing their eyes! Absolute slow, painful, torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

German History lectures.

Haha my housemate came home rants about academic lit today. It sounds fair crap!

Oh it's BEYOND crap.
    I am going to have more to do in that than the assignments due in for politics. Two hour lab in it tomorrow.
    AAAAAAARRGGGHHHH

It really is like all the LC crap about how to study and what's the best way to study and last weeks lecture was all about what kind of learner are you and yer man went on for 50 mintues about basically, how you may be like the majority of people in learning or you may be like the minority of learners who learn in a different way.
    Wothout telling you what the two kinds are, how you can tell which one you are, whether its good or bad or what you can do about it. :mad:
    **** SAKE.

*cough*
    Sorry.

Oh I counted 5 people asleep today. In my row alone.
    And I hate DG016. Badly badly lit.

Bitch: Printers in the library.
    So fecking confusing and slow and then my account always seems to be gone before I get a chance to do anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Oh it's BEYOND crap.
    Two hour lab in it tomorrow.

Oh I counted 5 people asleep today. In my row alone.
    And I hate DG016. Badly badly lit.

Trust me snazzy, it won't be anywhere near 2 hours long, especially if it is the first one. We were told today that 2 hours is the time allotted and rarely will all of it be needed. I got up at 8am to go to a computing lab, spent 15 mins in it and was told to go, your finished! 15 mins of punching 2+3 into a computer:mad::mad: at 9am!

Ya that's a crap lecture theatre, old Jean Monet. Hardly any of the little desk thingys are still intact. Really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

That Academic Literacy module makes me want to claw my face off

Learning how to learn and studying how to study and reading how to read etc.......

/facedesk

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Trust me snazzy, it won't be anywhere near 2 hours long, especially if it is the first one. We were told today that 2 hours is the time allotted and rarely will all of it be needed. I got up at 8am to go to a computing lab, spent 15 mins in it and was told to go, your finished! 15 mins of punching 2+3 into a computer:mad::mad: at 9am!

Ya that's a crap lecture theatre, old Jean Monet. Hardly any of the little desk thingys are still intact. Really annoying.
    So what do you actually do in the computer lab?

And ya, I have all my lectures in either Jean Monet or the Foundation building and Jean Monet is definitely fairly crappy in comparison but I suppose it's great in terms of hiding in the back and looking like you know what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They have a module where you learn to study? :rolleyes:

/facepalm

So how do you study a module about studying? :D

Well here I am in my lab for AL at the mo and we just had to write a 250 word piece on how I will use new skills to learn.
    This is for our LEARNING JOURNAL.

We also have to do an oral presentation and a group essay.
    I know they mean this to help us but it's hours of my life I could put to better use. I'd say something if they were showing us how to use referencing, use the library, write an essay but noooo, it's all about how YOU learn. Basic secondary level stuff.
    All first year humanities students have to do this apparently.

arggghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

That sounds painful, that must be a new module. It wasn't there in 2005 anyway! I can't even remember being taught how to use the library or write essays, a group of us kinda figured it out ourselves. Considering my academic performance, we didn't really figure it out very well...:(

• Advertisement

Two words: Coop Office. :mad:

Advertisement