Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Fred83 wrote: »
    me too,had it on Amiga aswell,way better version...

Have you played Jungle strike? I had a shot of it the other day and I felt the gameplay suffered a bit tbh, just didn't feel the same as DS. :( I'm pretty sure I felt the same about it when I played it all those years ago too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Only played Desert Strike for any length of time, loved it.
    Jungle Strike was fun, but Urban Strike was just a bridge too far, not fun.
    Myst sucked, dazzled people who were used to crappy low rez games with its visuals, but all it amounted to was an interactive screen saver, no thanks.
    A game I'd love to play again was Outcast, a brilliant game on the PC, from back in 99, sadly played by almost no one!
    Must see if I can get it running on the lappy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭madheaded

Playing back ups of legend of zelda majoras mask and south park for the n64 because mine got broke :'( forgot how good and addictive zelda was simply amazing

Playing back ups of legend of zelda majoras mask and south park for the n64 because my 64 got broke :'( forgot how good and addictive zelda was simply amazing game

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

majora's mask is an epic game but it dont have a patch on OOT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think Majoras is better than OoT. It's such an original game, nothing else like it and so full of imagination.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I wouldn't mind trying MM but don't have the game. It wasn't well received. Just finished WindWaker :) good game but i hated the Wind temple. Stopped playing it for about a year because i couldn't be arsed with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Majora's Mask required the n64 RAM expansion pak didn't it? Must have added to it not selling as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Majoras Mask was really well received and sold quite well although the ram pak put some buyers off. There's a good few ignorant people on forums saying it's terrible after only giving it a short play. The game takes a while to get into but after that it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Wing Commander: Privateer anyone...?

Oh and transport tycoon. Good times.

• Advertisement

steve_ wrote: »
    majora's mask is an epic game but it dont have a patch on OOT.
    Its a tough one not many games haave the originality as pointed out by another poster OOT another epic game.

Yea expansion pak was needed but hey imo definetely definetely worth it.

Some people dont appreciate these games i was on ign64 the other day and this guy had reviewed Mario 64, MM, OOT, Mario Galaxy and Goldeneye and gave all of them a zero calling them all pointless and sh#t and then proclaimed half life 2 as the best game dont get me wrong Hl2 is good but come on better than OOt,MM and Mario i dont think so anyway.

Regarding which one is better i cant choose between them MM takes a while to get into but Makes up for it easily.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

forgive my ignorance, what's an expansion pak?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    forgive my ignorance, what's an expansion pak?
    its ram expansion for the console 4mb if i remember correctly
    Expansion Pak
    The Expansion Pak is a memory expansion that plugs into the console's memory expansion port. It is a system upgrade for the Nintendo 64 that doubles the console's RAM storage capacity to 8 MB.[citation needed] The add-on was released in 1999 and contains 4 MB RDRAM, the same type of memory used inside the console itself. By increasing system memory, there is potential for enhancements to games designed with the added RAM storage in mind. The Expansion Pak is installed in a port on top of the Nintendo 64 and replaces the pre-installed Jumper Pak, which is simply a RAMBUS terminator.[citation needed]

Some of the games to support this accessory are Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage, Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Gauntlet Legends, Hybrid Heaven, Resident Evil 2, Road Rash 64, Shadow Man, Star Wars: Episode I Racer, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, San Francisco Rush 2049, South Park, and The World Is Not Enough. Only a few games, such as Rare's Donkey Kong 64, the single player mode of Rare's Perfect Dark, the multiplayer mode of Blizzard's Starcraft 64 and Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask required it for play. Supporting games usually offered higher video resolutions or higher textures and/or higher color depth. For example, the Nintendo 64 all-remade version of Quake 2 features higher color depth but not a higher resolution when using the Expansion Pak. It was used in Starcraft 64, to unlock levels from the popular Brood War add-on for the PC version of the game. The Expansion Pak was available separately as well as bundled with Donkey Kong 64. In Japan, the Expansion Pak was additionally bundled with Zelda: Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark, though you could buy them separately as well

the expansion pak was a cartridge needed to play majora's mask on the N64. Personally i think both majora's mask and OOT are masterpieces. And if i had picked up majora's mask before OOT i think it could change my opinion, but seeing as i played OOT first, i was just hooked. Its epic story matched with cutting edge graphics (at the time) and intoxicating music made this just an absolute joy to play from start to finish. For me this is the most perfectly crafted game in history. It even still holds the test of time, i only picked it up recently and was once again sucked in my its charm and wonder. Id kiss miyamoto if i could, he is the king of games design. With OOT being my favorite game ever, even back in 1998, naturally majora's mask had some feat to live up to. But in saying that i think every single iteration of Zelda has been great........well not wand of gamelon but everything else

steve_ wrote: »
    the expansion pak was a cartridge needed to play majora's mask on the N64. Personally i think both majora's mask and OOT are masterpieces. And if i had picked up majora's mask before OOT i think it could change my opinion, but seeing as i played OOT first, i was just hooked. Its epic story matched with cutting edge graphics (at the time) and intoxicating music made this just an absolute joy to play from start to finish. For me this is the most perfectly crafted game in history. It even still holds the test of time, i only picked it up recently and was once again sucked in my its charm and wonder. Id kiss miyamoto if i could, he is the king of games design. With OOT being my favorite game ever, even back in 1998, naturally majora's mask had some feat to live up to. But in saying that i think every single iteration of Zelda has been great........well not wand of gamelon but everything else
    I agree with you on that zelda is the greatest set of games ever made even after all these years you can still pick them up and play them and still be amazed by them

The Zelda titles are some of the very few games i truly look forward to, i cant wait for spirit tracks and the new zelda for the wii.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So far it's the only IP to have no misfires, aside from the CDi second cousins that no one talks about.....

Wand of gamelon was more like its inbred cousin. But the only IP's i look forward to are, Zelda, Metal gear, Mario, Battlefield (PC only), GTA and anything from valve....and resi, but 5 knock it down my list quite a bit :mad:

Zelda 2 isn't all that great.

true i actually preferred battle of olympus over Zelda 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Right, here's my perogative: clear Transformers, Rez, Red Star, Sonic Unleashed and Tomb Raider: Anniversary all for PS2 this week. I'm on the last level of Transformers, fairly far into Rez and Red Star. Sonic Unleashed shouldn't take too long, that just leaves Tomb Raider.

Need to finish Zombies At My Neighbors on the Super Nintendo, which I'm about mid-way through and get around to Advance Wars: Dual Strike for the DS. Then I can start on new stuff.

Picked up Bangai-O Spirits for the DS, interesting to see how a shooter looks for it, never played one on it before.

The last 5 or so levels of zombies are next to impossible. I played the crap out of that game and gave up at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So far it's the only IP to have no misfires, aside from the CDi second cousins that no one talks about.....

I dunno. I'm sitting on the fence with phantom hourglass. Not made about the stylus controls and the repetition of the Ocean King Temple.

Master of the Universe

Not made about the stylus controls

:eek:

That and Ninja Gaiden DS are probably the best executed DS controls yet. The fluidity is amazing.
    and the repetition of the Ocean King Temple.

This is the biggest complaint I keep hearing again and again. Personally I found it a little annoying. Although not enough to make any really noticeably bad impact on the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

o1s1n wrote: »
    :eek:

That and Ninja Gaiden DS are probably the best executed DS controls yet. The fluidity is amazing.

They're good but does it have them because it needs them or does it have them to justify the touch gimmick of the DS?

I ask this about a lot of DS games after playing Dawn of Sorrow.

I found d-pad and button controls much more intuitive than the stylus controls used in both games. The stylus controls can get tiresome after a while and are far from perfect. They seem to be shoehorned in since traditional controls are much better. Stylus controls would be fine for stuff like boomerang throwing but let me control were link goes with a d-pad please.

Master of the Universe

You can use D pad controls in both those games? Hah! Didn't even notice myself. Didn't even consider needing to tbh.

I can't see a stylus working for something like dawn of sorrow? Or any side scrolling game for that matter that requires percision jumps.

Ninja Gaiden requires a lot of slashing movements which I think lends itself to stylus use. Can't say I had any issues other than my hand hurting after a while...something I find which happens after a lot of stylus heavy games.

Link with the stylus is brilliant though. I really think you'd be silly to use a D pad with that game at all. Again, I think it's down to the slashing with a sword. I found it a real joy anyway.

Link with a Wiimote and Nunchuck on the other hand....bah!

You can't use the d-pad with either game. Also annoying is that you have a big stylus holding hand hovering in front of the screen all the time. Not exactly lening itself to immersion.

I really enjoyed Twilight Princess, with the Wiimote and Nunchuck, briliant fun.
    I'm hoping the followup will have motion-plus compatibility, nice...

Hope the Transformers mentioned isn't the lousy movie adaptations and is instead the excellent pre-movie edition, it's awesome! Although a little easy!
    I picked up the Directors Cut version of the PS2 game a year or two ago for pittance.

Retrogames are on the backburner right now, playing Scribblenauts on the DS and it's a work of genius!
    I wrote matter and got a little molecule on-screen, I then wrote anti-matter and put the two together, the level reset!
    Sweet.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Flimbos Quest!

Advertisement