Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Eamon Keane's sense of humour is a mystery to everyone but Eamon Keane

I think all News Talk presenters have to take a whiff of something very strong before going on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I read in the Irish Times today that Ivan Yates could be set for a full time slot at Newstalk it didn't say at what time or what day, could Mr. Dunne be cancelled already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Badabing wrote: »
    I read in the Irish Times today that Ivan Yates could be set for a full time slot at Newstalk it didn't say at what time or what day, could Mr. Dunne be cancelled already?

Well he was talking about having a P45 in his pocket on Good Friday but I think that was something to do with his Kids! It was some sort of wind-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

i've stopped istening to the breakfast show altogether, its mostly breaks, then claire and ger's banter with the tiniest interview squeezed inbetween, the final straw came a few weeks ago when they asked people to text in what their favourite sambo was.and constantly whoring out their 30cent text line

i just can't stand eamon keane at all

i love moncrieef's show, very entertaining

i like the right hook, but if he mentions twitter or the lovely ingrid again i'll scream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

The Sunday Times say Ivan Yates is in talks for the breakfast show http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6078689.ece

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

parasite wrote: »
    The Sunday Times say Ivan Yates is in talks for the breakfast show http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6078689.ece

This would be an improvement on the two teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Gilroy replacing replacing Gerry O'Sullivan, would make the weekend sports show bearable again. As for Claire - well..... she can always read the news.

Gilroy has been doing work with Setanta Sports so he might go in that direction or maybe get the 9-10 slot if Newstalk go for a big change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damn you! I was going to start a fresh thread on the Breakfast show changes titled

There is a God

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Since Ger & Claire got so bad I have started to listen to Morrning Ireland and I like it,so whatever Newstalk do it will have to be decent to win me back in the morrning.

I don't care what they do with Claire she is brutal,Ger on the other hand is a very good sports presenter is he still head of sports at Newstalk..?

• Advertisement

Nope thats Jerry O' Sullivan

mike65 wrote: »
    Nope thats Jerry O' Sullivan

There is no beginning to that mans talent or for that matter Oisin Langan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Nope thats Jerry "One eye constantly on the newswire" O' Sullivan

fyp :)

He does my head in but thats another thread maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

What a joke of a station Newstalk has become. Whatever the merits, or lack of, of Ger Gilroy (who I think is a decent presenter), replacing him with that bumbling, unprofessional Ivan Yates is just pathetic.

The reaction on here the times he has replaced Hook has been mostly positive. I have no strong views on him either way. He is OK. But something had to done with the Breakfast Show. It is dreadful.

I don't blame the presenters. It was quite a good show until some media type decided dumbing down, cutting alot of the news content and number of contributors, bringing Ger and Claire "personalities" to the fore - was the way to go. Big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Another vote for the breakfast show going down the tubes. I definately find myself tuning into morning ireland more and more.

Its getting more and more low-brow each week, tabloid even. The only time I find it bearable is when Conor Brophy and Ger cover - at least its news. Too much sport coverage lately too. </grump>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I agree, I think Conor and Ger do a good job when they are alone. I don't like Ivan...he is like a bit of cardboard. The Indo has more on it, less on Ivan and more on Ger & Claire finding out about it all!

Hang on, the indo article suggets that its going to be the Ivan and Claire show, thats not the way foward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Hang on, the indo article suggets that its going to be the Ivan and Claire show, thats not the way foward.
    I guess the contract that Claire has with them is more difficult to change than Ger's...doesn't make any sense alright!

• Advertisement

Oh no. Ffs, Claire's dullness and her insistence in giving her opinion at every opportunity was the main problem. This isn't going to work.

They couldn't possilbly leave Ger Gilroy go, while keeping Gerry O'Sullivan fluffing away the Weekend Sports Show. Or could they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

They have no female presenters during the day, so Claire's position is safe for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Newstalk has become such a joke, there's absolutely no reason to listen to it during the day. Claire and Ger followed by Tom Dunne and then Eamonn Keane, utter sh*te the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Gawd they have it all wrong wrong. It's Clare Byrne they need to axe, not Ger Gilroy. Or if they don't axe her, get her to stop giving her opinion on everything. I'd love to know who's decided that Ivan Yates is a radio presenter. He's fine if he's a pundit giving his opinion on things but he's a desperate presenter, full of eh eh ehs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

This is another prime example of newstalk and their clamour for the star signing. Ivan Yeats is okay but hardly better than Ger Gilroy. The problem in NT is the person in charge of telling the presenters what direction the show is to take, clearly NT are going ott with their dumbing down of the station. Pity, because with McWilliams and Kiberd on daily it was a really good station which provided a great alternative to Radio 1. I actually really miss the way it was 4/5 years back. Gilroy should not be taken of the station, he is one of their few original presenters who remains there and is in effect one of the few pieces of talent they developed.

Maybe Girloy back to OTB to co-present with McDevitt...dunno how well it would work really. The weekend sports slot is shocking at the moment to be fair, poor old Jerry O'Sullivan they really have feck all sport in the summer and he basically sits there rehashing scores for 4 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Eoin McDevitt does a good job on Off The Ball so I don't see any point in putting Ger Gilroy back in there. If they're so hell-bent on getting in Ivan Yates on the breakfast show, they should put Ger into the Lunchtime slot instead of Eamonn Keane. Or have him host a new late night program instead of repeating the Lunchtime program.

As an aside, who presented the Wide Angle this morning? He was absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

They might team George Hook up with Clare and have Yates replace Hook on the drive time show according to the Irish Times. I think this would work better.

Whatever combination they use it looks like Ger Gilroy is for the chop come what may!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0413/1224244556538.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭GSF

Gilroy is a bit lightweight, but I thought that was an asset in the new Newstalk where Tom Dunne is the star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Firetrap wrote: »
    Eoin McDevitt does a good job on Off The Ball so I don't see any point in putting Ger Gilroy back in there. If they're so hell-bent on getting in Ivan Yates on the breakfast show, they should put Ger into the Lunchtime slot instead of Eamonn Keane. Or have him host a new late night program instead of repeating the Lunchtime program.

As an aside, who presented the Wide Angle this morning? He was absolutely awful.

I think it was Harry McGee - http://www.harrymcgee.com/

He was poor, lots of ehs.

Newstalk reminds me of a sitcom in its final stages - lots of guest presenters to gloss over the fact they've nothing original to do any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Its seems I'm in a minority, I like the Breakfast show as is, Ger and Claire are great.

What I would like to hear less of is Hook and Yates slabbering over that Scottish news-reader , we get the point, she is good looking!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement