Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usenet Deal 11Dollars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

What I've also noticed with nzbmatrix is the irregular file sizes. 42 min episodes which are normally 350mb are 408mb. Why is this?

Also you have to pay a donation to the site ($10) for 270 days retention otherwise you get 20 days.

Very interested in this actually. The e8 a month could be offset by the electricity cost of having my pc on 24/7 for the past couple of years seeding those torrents! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Someone Correct me if i am wrong but Newzbin are the Founders for NZB files, There Layout is soooooo userfriendly compared to other nzb websites, Why is it better? I suppose you pay for what you get and for 7.60 pound for a year i wouldnt even call it a pay site.

Can someone tell me what are the advantages of paying for Newzbin over some of its free rivals? I just can't figure out why people would pay when absolutely everything seems to be on places like nzbmatrix.

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 leon79

Just wanted to thank everybody for the info, just looking for a new provider...have been using Rapidshare for the past year and a half and they sent me a mail telling me that my account was terminated for what i was downloading... i had two days to view why my account was terminated... i was on holidays when this happened so i never got to see what caused them to get angry... kiss that yearly fee goodbye! ah well, i've gotten my moneys worth over the past 18 months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

is the payment a based on a calender month?
    ie. if I buy an account now will it is that considered March paid for and then I'll need to pay for april come 20090401 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I've been using rapidshare for the last year or so and am quite happy with it. I have never and most likely will never need to use over the 2.6Gb per day limit. So putting that aside, is there any other advantages of using usenet over rapidshare? My rapidshare account is about to expire so I am curious about this...Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

AntiRip wrote: »
    What I've also noticed with nzbmatrix is the irregular file sizes. 42 min episodes which are normally 350mb are 408mb. Why is this?

Also you have to pay a donation to the site ($10) for 270 days retention otherwise you get 20 days.

Very interested in this actually. The e8 a month could be offset by the electricity cost of having my pc on 24/7 for the past couple of years seeding those torrents! :)

par files

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I've been using rapidshare for the last year or so and am quite happy with it. I have never and most likely will never need to use over the 2.6Gb per day limit. So putting that aside, is there any other advantages of using usenet over rapidshare? My rapidshare account is about to expire so I am curious about this...Thanks

I have both and RS wins hands down, its way easier and quicker to find stuff and theres way more content on RS.
    The only reason i'd pick usenet over RS is if i downloaded something like HD movies or 360 games, but then thats doable in RS as well but not as easy with the 2.6gb per day limit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I have both and RS wins hands down, its way easier and quicker to find stuff and theres way more content on RS.
    The only reason i'd pick usenet over RS is if i downloaded something like HD movies or 360 games, but then thats doable in RS as well but not as easy with the 2.6gb per day limit

are you joking?

sure nearly all the links in rapidshare are dead in days.

newzbin or similar sites are easy as you can get for finding files and way easier than searching forums etc for rapidshare links.

More content on rapidshare? you'd be lucky to find working links from a month ago never mind 6 months ago. While with usenet you can go back up to 210 days with the likes of astraweb. And you'll find everything you want there and not spend half a day looking for stuff on rapidshare.

sorry but you dont know how to use usenet or never used it properly if you think rapidshare is better.

@messinkiapina

astraweb+newzbin+sabnzbd = you'll never use rapidshare again

I think you're wrong about the lifespan of RS links. I've found stuff thats years old still available on RS and not available with NGs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Anyone want to send me an invite for Newzbin?

I'm still not sure what this usenet is but reading up on it to make sure this deal is worth it for me

ye maybe i exaggerated, but it's still hit and miss, and most popular scene releases are going to die after a while judging by posts i've seen on sites like rlsl*g.

but then again most people are only interested in present stuff, and i think the combination i mentioned above cant be beaten. Yes the stuff might on rapidshare, but you cant guarantee the links you see today are going to work tomorrow. Yes you can try and find links elsewhere, but its still not any easier than usenet in my opinion and by most ppl in this thread.

I suppose you pay for what you get and for 7.60 pound for a year i wouldnt even call it a pay site.

I think it's £15.60 for 52 weeks or £2.40 for 8 weeks. Still pretty cheap though!
    leon79 wrote:
    they sent me a mail telling me that my account was terminated for what i was downloading

What! are you serious? What else do people use rapidshare for? I've never heard of this happening before. Were you sharing your account with other people?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I giving astraweb+newzbin+sabnzbd+ a shot now. But I'm getting an error downloading. For the server configuration I put in host : europe.news.astraweb.com, Port : 8080, Username, Password, Timeout: 120 and connections I put in 20 and clicked on SSL. Are these settings correct? ANymore settings to fill in? Any help appreciated ;)

Also, can I manual input a download limit speed. Don't want to choke my bandwidth completely?
    You'll need to use the SSL server address (in Member area) if you want to use SSL, otherwise untick SSL.

Also, europe.news.astraweb.com is not a valid server address. replace europe with eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

There was a time when people were discreet. Looking at you OP. If this was digg or reddit this would of been downvoted to oblivion.

Usenet is decaying BTW. Getting harder and harder to find good stuff.

Every year after xmas they have a half price sale so just buy 52weeks at 7.60 :)
    I think it's £15.60 for 52 weeks or £2.40 for 8 weeks. Still pretty cheap though!

What! are you serious? What else do people use rapidshare for? I've never heard of this happening before. Were you sharing your account with other people?

Well, I'm off and running. Sabnzbd has some pretty nice features much the same as Flashget really. I'm a little bit turned off by the larger files sizes tbh. Not good if you have a download cap. I'll give it a little time anyways as I have the 8 weeks with Newzbin. Thanks to the OP for getting me to actually try it out. ;) Was thinking about it for some time but always thought it was too complicated but seems to be easy enough. Will take alot though to take me away from the RS forums and blogs but I guess I can use them for reference.

Every year after xmas they have a half price sale so just buy 52weeks at 7.60 :)

thanks PowerHouseDan

sabnzbd only downloads the par files if needed (a rar files is corrupt and it needs to repair it), so in most cases it wont need to download any extra files

Yup which is very handy.
    sabnzbd only downloads the par files if needed (a rar files is corrupt and it needs to repair it), so in most cases it wont need to download any extra files

• Advertisement

well I've been using it for a day now, Sabnzbd, newzbin, astraweb combination and so far it's ok. It's fast but there are alot of connection errors now and again. Also, what I've downloaded has hard subs in them which didn't say it had on the .nzb or nfo. A little disappointing. I just think that the RS info sites are alot better graphically and more informative of what you're downloading.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I didn't know that, thanks for the insight. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

AntiRip, there are lots of different sites like that for usenet too, Im not sure if I am allowed to link here but one such place contains the words file talk and sharing not necessarily in that order.

tw0nk wrote: »
    AntiRip, there are lots of different sites like that for usenet too, Im not sure if I am allowed to link here but one such place contains the words file talk and sharing not necessarily in that order.

No need to link. Thats good to know. Thanks tw0nk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

just signed up for this been looking at trying out usenet for a whlie anyone recommend a good usenet client ?

Kristok wrote: »
    just signed up for this been looking at trying out usenet for a whlie anyone recommend a good usenet client ?

sabnzbd+

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Grabit...never had ap problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

sabnzbd dosnt seem to have a search option and grabit didnt work straight away said it was out of date first time i started it

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

I'm subscribed with Usenext myself. Seems to max out my UPC connection. So I can say I'm happy with their service. Has a download wizard aswell so unzips all the rar files automatically to give you an avi file etc. Think I'm paying about €8 a months for 25gb a month.

• Advertisement

just signed up for this been looking at trying out usenet for a while anyone recommend a good usenet client ?

Alt.Binz

Advertisement