Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores to be sold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

Well if you look at whats going on lately

I mean ben dunne presumably doenst get on well with Margeret Heffernan since his buy out in the 90's. He's also been quoted saying even after all his advice of telling everyone in the Evening Hearld that the Dunnes snr management should be all fired and replaced he was quoted afterwards saying that he "didnt belive that his sister had an intention of selling Dunnes Stores"

Alot of what were hearing is pointing to circumstabtial and conflicting rumors, Hell I even heard one proposing that Mandate our own union had leaked this rumor out to encourage more people to join the union coming up to x-mas.

What I do know is that from the Dunnes I work in, is that It's quiet I mean really quiet lately buisness wise, our orders have been cut to ribbons our hours have been trimmed, I know some staff that are doing 6pm-9pm and getting 14 hour weeks which i think is below woring average. My hours have been trimmed too but not that much and even so there always calling me to come in early to get the place sorted out on my section. Our buisness hours were cut too as we only open till 10pm now weekdays

On another note Id like to point out, alot of people that work in my Dunnes complain to varying degress about working in the place (myself included).
    all our moaning was been replaced by concern and worry for our job security when that rumor started and to an extent were all alot more on edge in the place and waiting for bad news which I hope wont come myself cuse as it stands ANYONE that has a job lately is very lucky to have it.

Overall I think that the whole thing was a rumor that got way out of hand and I hope im right cuse preety soon ile be the only one bringing an income into my house.
    I think if dunnes has something to say they would have said it. I mean the curring of buisness and buisness hours staff and store alike are cost cutting measures that wouldnt have an effect on a buy out atall regardless so why bother doing it? Well to save money and keep the jobs they have, I think the thing ive learned about Dunnes is they hate showing weakness, if they had to lay people off then that would almost be an ultimate show of how bad its got for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 francesca420

in regards to the slackening of business, i can concur with that too. hours in my store have been stripped to the minimum, the last few nights have been the quietest i've seen for a year (im nightpack) and we were told a certain amount of xmas staff were coming in but i believe that has been cut down a bit too.

on another worrying note, whilst chatting to my boss the other night in relation to general worries about the place, her closing comment was 'sure we mightn't even have a job in january!'

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

copacetic wrote: »
    Any of ye got actual reasons for saying the above so dismissively?

I have a really good source that Dunnes is definitely to be sold, with the announcement likely this week or next week at the very latest. Are they wrong?

work for asda, its not happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I mean ben dunne presumably doenst get on well with Margeret Heffernan since his buy out in the 90's.

Can you blame him?

It mus be hard for a man in his fifties to admit that his big sister is more manly-looking than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Well to save money and keep the jobs they have, I think the thing ive learned about Dunnes is they hate showing weakness, if they had to lay people off then that would almost be an ultimate show of how bad its got for them.

And I think they're a private, un-limited liability company too. Which means that IF Dunnes Stores were to go into debt, the owners would be held responsible for that debt and could be forced to sell private assets to pay it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes..but then why have all clothes orders for 2009 been cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

ash_18x wrote: »

Interesting article but just because he told the indo they are not selling does not mean its not true. They will deny they are selling up to the end. Even if behind the scenes they are making a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

Yes..but then why have all clothes orders for 2009 been cancelled?

where did you hear this?
    they just launched a new range yesterday!

my husband is a manager in Dunnes and they have been told nothing and they are all denying it too, saying its rubbish! all the top guys including Margaret Heffernan have been in his store the past few weeks because it was just reopened!

suppose you never know what is going to happen though, guess everyone will just have to wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It was in the Sunday Business Post and a few other papers, and my managers said it's true. I'd imagine it wouldn't be made up..I'm sure the suppliers would know whether or not the orders have been cancelled. It might not have been sold/in the process of being sold, but I think something bigger is happening than 'redundancies'. Business really picked up in the last week anyway, which might stop hours being cut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mcfast

has it been confirmed one way or the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hurricanes

I work in Head Office and when all of those rumours surfaced everybody was just laughing it off, as similar rumours surface every few years and nothing ever happens. No shipments have been cancelled and there are still 30,40 plus meetings with buyers and suppliers each day. It's all just a way to sell papers and keep the rumour mill going.And everybody got their Christmas bonuses!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sorry to dig this up again... but I just saw the new Dunnes Stores adverts on TV and I have to say that the giant arrow graphic looks VERY similar to the one that Asda have used for years on their adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Samples attached...

linky?

edit: "samples attached"

edit 2: i see what you mean but at the same time, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

i heard that thyre buying in clothes fom Asda.... why would they be doing that if Asda werent about to swoop in?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

i heard that thyre buying in clothes fom Asda.... why would they be doing that if Asda werent about to swoop in?!
    But we don't even know if they are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JDxtra wrote: »
    Samples attached...
    Oh my...!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Samples attached...

Those are just two arrows. If they didn't have that shape they wouldn't be arrows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

But we don't even know if they are doing it.

but i DO know theyre doing it! Have a family member working in Dunnes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Coincidence? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Already brought back from the dead on the Consumer Issues forum :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055474950

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sales of down arrows have boomed since the recession kicked off. Maybe they use the same supplier? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

please let this rumour be true

the amount of skangers who work in dunnes is unreal

they spend their time chewing gum,gossiping,laughing and joking around while a queue of irritated customers stands waiting to get served

in my local dunnes they have stains on the uniforms ,massive ear rings,bad attitudes and some even downright rude
    in short theyre a bunch of tossers

i hope walmart sacks every last one of them and sends them to the dole queue where they belong

dunnnes emplloyees-RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

madmik wrote: »

they spend their time chewing gum,gossiping,laughing and joking around while a queue of irritated customers stands waiting to get served

in my local dunnes they have stains on the uniforms ,massive ear rings,bad attitudes and some even downright rude

i hope walmart sacks every last one of them and sends them to the dole queue where they belong

dunnnes emplloyees-RIP

I think you really need to re-phrase that mad milk, Agreed there are skangers working in the place. I work for the place and I break my back for the money I earn. there are alot of people who do as a matter of fact so do they deserve to go to the dole queue. ?

I know what your saying and to a degreee I agree with you. But I think you should rephrase it in a way that doesnt mark EVERY dunnes employee as a lazy sod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I see Dunnes bought all of Superquinns stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would disagree there.
    I agree there. It is mostly the old biddies that do that.
    Indeed.

dunnnes emplloyees-RIP

A tad strong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I see Dunnes bought all of Superquinns stock.

Is this official or a rumour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Sorry to dig this up again... but I just saw the new Dunnes Stores adverts on TV and I have to say that the giant arrow graphic looks VERY similar to the one that Asda have used for years on their adverts.

Dey tuk er arrows....eh....we tuk der arrows.....my head hurts....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

I would be happy to see Asda here instead of Dunnes Store. Dunnes store is a rip-off. Recently I was in London, was shopping in Asda. Got bottle of water, 2 bananas, big packets of crisp and mp3 player for 10 pounds...not bad! Forgot as well chocolate bar....

However comes for sure they will be cheaper...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement