Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T4 Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pinder

as long as its a bit of a return to T1 an T2 ill be happy,iv never been more pissed off coming out of the cinema than when i saw that absolute crap that was T3.i think they should call this one T3 and forget that one ever happened.is cameron directing this one?i think christian bale would be very good as john connor,has to be someone who can play a tough guy ,whos also a good guy.like do you remember john connor in T3?his only weapon was a paint gun,and he was a bitch.you go back to john in T2 and he was able to take money out of atms with a mini computer,had a dirtbike and was 10.the obvious progress wasnt being a bitch anyway.I could rant for hours about T3,but does anybody know who is playing the new terminator?i heard its supposed to be an Austrian bodybuilder,i kid you not.any news on a release date,or general time when its expected out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Its just a movie comment in 3 2 1...

But

anyone else think the motorbikes seem like a bad idea, purely from a practical design perspective.

You just bombed the **** out of the whole world, its rubble and there is no infrastructure.

Your scout vehicle is designed off a motorbike chasis...

The raods are f*cked

there is rubble, collapsed buildings and craters everywhere.

Again you picked a bike.

Wouldnt a Buggy chasis made more sense?

As irrelevent as all that is, its close to why I go hmm at some bits in the trailer and it ties directly to the harvester and why I dont like it. It may have a role, but it doesnt look like it matches up to it.

THe closest relation to it would be the tripods from the war of the worlds franchise, which you can debate if they were a good design choice or not, part of their design though is inspired by the idea that the martians never invented the wheel (yeah it doesnt sit too well with me either) so all their vehicles have the 3 leg system.

But ignoring that piece of trivia, the design of the walkers was hit and miss. As a large harvester/attack/planter combo its design made sense, at the same time, giant walking things are big easy targets and less efficiant then treaded vehicles in a number of aspects.

On the other hand the walkers in war of the worlds were not designed to look like giant versions of their occupants, which is where the salvation harvester falls down a bit more. If it was a machine with the same role as the tripods out of war of the worlds, then the design would have been a similar train of thought.

Its not all gloom and doom from me. Repeat viewings of the trailer I have warmed to some elements, the climatic confrontation with the first t-800 and john connor looks like it could be good and I am very happy that time travel still seems to play a major role in the films plotline (which was a major concern with me)

THe whole MCG/Nolan debate has sort of cancelled itself out. MCG has a bad record but he could do good. Nolan has a good record but he could do bad. If anyone champions the film because Nolan is involved, then they cant tell those who are worried about MCG to ignore his track record and that he could do good, and vice versa.

EDIT:

forgot to ask, is skynet meant to be
    10 years ahead of 10 years behind, because if they are just about to make the t-800 they should be at the same level as just before terminator 1, therefore the whole its early experimenting doesnt wash if they are meant to be ahead now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Stan Winston was the visual effects supervisor at the time of his death, so I trust that the guy who had the same position for T1 and T2 would not stay quiet if he thought McG and Martin laing were going overboard.

Efficient designs suggest to me that it is something that needs to be worked towards; indeed the whole point of the film is
    Skynet working towards that ruthless efficient design, the T-800 and beyond.

Well I trust Winston's studio to make the Terminators look good (but his involvement is not a sure sign of quality - look at "Wrong Turn" for example), but when you think about where Skynet came from, the military, why did Skynet then go from unmanned drones on treads, to walkers, then back to treads again? I get why the harvester exists & that's fine it makes lots of sense. It's just the implementation looks daft. And as Blitzkrieg mentions, in a world of rubble, ruins and busted roards, those designs don't make much sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    forgot to ask, is skynet meant to be
    10 years ahead of 10 years behind, because if they are just about to make the t-800 they should be at the same level as just before terminator 1, therefore the whole its early experimenting doesnt wash if they are meant to be ahead now.

All that is known is that they are ten years a head of schedule in terms of the creation of the T-800. Don't ask me how, very little beyond that is known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

A giant terminator with rockets! Oh and terminator-bikes! And and and ...

...And anything else we can make a toy out of.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well I trust Winston's studio to make the Terminators look good (but his involvement is not a sure sign of quality - look at "Wrong Turn" for example), but when you think about where Skynet came from, the military, why did Skynet then go from unmanned drones on treads, to walkers, then back to treads again? I get why the harvester exists & that's fine it makes lots of sense. It's just the implementation looks daft. And as Blitzkrieg mentions, in a world of rubble, ruins and busted roards, those designs don't make much sense!

I would put that down to this being the very start of the war; so we are not quite at the setting that is presented to us in T1, T2 and T3 where the land is a wash with rubble, skulls and massive ruins. A lot more damage and destruction is to come yet. Once that does occur (this looks like a three fiilm deal) the motorcycles I imagine will become obsolete, with the likes of the HKs and infiltration concentrated terminators such as the T-800 and the T-1000 coming to the fore.

And some of the setting seems like the desert too; Sam Worthington described the film as Termnator meets Black hawk Down meets mad Max

I would put that down to this being the very start of the war; so we are not quite at the setting that is presented to us in T1, T2 and T3 where the land is a wash with rubble, skulls and massive ruins.

uhmm those ruins and skulls etc are meant to be from the events at the end of T3, americas entrie nuclear arsenal has a habit of doing that sort of thing.

if anything there should be less of those things as time passess by as skynet starts to rebuild and essentially flattens everything and rebuilds with concentration camps and work camps and factories etc etc.

uhmm those ruins and skulls etc are meant to be from the events at the end of T3, americas entrie nuclear arsenal has a habit of doing that sort of thing.

I was talking about the future battle scenes in the ruins of LA with armies of T-800 endoskeletons going at it with the resistance (with an aged and battle hardened John Connor looking on). Taking all that into account, this suggests that the battle field just gets worse and worse as the war goes on, hence why the motorcyles wouldn't be around because they would be useless. The battle field is not covered with all kinds of **** in Terminator Salvation, as it is still relatively the early stages of the war, so that explains the use of the motorcycles.

The motorcycles look like a crap idea to me. As does the giant robot thing. Would it not be more efficient for skynet to have people size terminators out rounding up people rather than that stupid looking megatron rip off?There is little in the trailer to get me excited. I hope to be proved wrong but it looks like it's gonna be an excercise in style over substance.

The motorcycles look like a crap idea to me. As does the giant robot thing. Would it not be more efficient for skynet to have people size terminators out rounding up people rather than that stupid looking megatron rip off?There is little in the trailer to get me excited. I hope to be proved wrong but it looks like it's gonna be an excercise in style over substance.

Because the Harvester has the facilities to round up numerous Humans at once in comparison to a time wasting expedition of rounding up humans one by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I like the idea of the harvestor but I really think that it has been poorly imagined. Then again, i dont know how it would have worked if they had used a design like the jawa bases in star wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Looks quite promising even if it is probably going to be PG-13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    The Harvester has a specific role;

*don't read if you don't want to know about the plot*
    it is simply a machine that catches humans and brings them back to the prison camps where they can be tested in order to design the living skin tissue required for the T-800 (stem cell research is involved, all very interesting).

This reminds me - shouldn't Skynet already know everything there is to know about that subject; since in Terminator 3 it had fully infiltrated the internet and every computer on the planet?

Admittedly though - I can understand that human research in that area might have been "cut short" by a nuclear holocaust.

Which also begs the question - didn't Skynet severely damage itself by destroying 80% of the civilized world at the end of Terminator 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Russia nuked America. get it right :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Looks quite promising even if it is probably going to be PG-13.

i used to be worried about stuff like that till i saw the dark knight.

and that was 12s here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I'm basing it on the fair guess that the makers went "hey, you know what would be cool? A giant terminator with rockets! Oh and terminator-bikes! And and and ... ". It gives of a big vibe of set-piece cinema, where the characters & scenarios are just there to serve up a succession of visual roller-coaster rides (all in glorious monochrome & brown) and explosions. Yawn.

I am more than willing to be proven wrong, but just because you sign a lot of blank cheques to nab some apparently good assets (Christian Bale, an adult certificate, Jonathan Nolan writing; we have little evidence of what this guy is like outside of his brother's influence) doesn't mean you'll come up roses. It's still being helmed by McG, and even if Cameron was a rookie during Terminator 1, at least his resumé wasn't the Charlies Angels movies & MTV "documentaries". I don't believe that man is anywhere even close to competent enough to helm a major production

I'm not drinking the hatorade just for the sake of it, I just believe it's better to maintain a healthy cynicism on this & let yourself be pleasantly surprised, than to get all optimistic, be potentially served a cock sandwich and feel worse.

pretty much describes how i felt about bay doing transformers. the film might still have turned out to be dumb a **** but its was an immense amount of fun and didnt suck as much as it should.

just remember though that even cameron alluded to massive killing machines in one and two that didnt look humaniond at all. its stand to reason that the harvester type things would be the norm till the "stealth" level of terminators propper turn up so its not like he's taking major departures here.

still look on the bright side, if your this worried you'll have a very low expectation level.

the other way around almost always ends in tears.

the other way around almost always ends in tears.

I can only judge the film on everything I've seen and read so far. I have no reason to think this film will be a disaster. Do I have high expectations? Nope. But I am optimistic. Slowly when a film gets closer and closer to it's release date and more information is known one can be confident how a film will turn out. I was confident, given everything I had seen and heard running up to the date, that before going in to see S-M3 that it would be a let down. I was right. Same deal for TDK except everything I had seen told me it would be a special moment for me. I was right.

Given everything I have seen and heard so far for T4, I am confident this film won't be a disaster. But that doesn't mean I'm expecting a fim to rival T1 and T2.

I found this kinda funny

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43637.html

Its the trailer for the game adaptation.

Its a bit more inline with what I can only guess myself and pixelburp were expecting from the machines.

Though it still has the harvester :(

Though I expect less from the game then the film, purely from the track record of terminator games (there's like what 2 good terminator games?) and of film adaptations.

At least it doesnt look as bad as the watchmen game trailer :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I found this kinda funny

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43637.html

Its the trailer for the game adaptation.

Its a bit more inline with what I can only guess myself and pixelburp were expecting from the machines.

Though it still has the harvester :(

Though I expect less from the game then the film, purely from the track record of terminator games (there's like what 2 good terminator games?) and of film adaptations.

At least it doesnt look as bad as the watchmen game trailer :D

Although I didn't have the sound on, it does seem more akin to what I'm used to from the franchise. It's also interesting to see they're using a more definitive set of colours & richer palette than the saturated browns & greys the movie appears to be pushing. Of course the game will still suck as is the law of movie-licensed games.

Oh and I'm still in a state of belief that the Watchmen game is actually a big gotcha & it's not really going to happen. That it's just an elaborate commentary on the state of interactive media. Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

what two good terminator games are there? I don't really know any of them bar the T1 game that was on the game gear/mega drive, and a t2 game I had on the pc way back when..

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_video_games

I considered Future shock/Skynet as one game and the other was the mega drive terminator...

3120049996e495495427osp4.jpg

KYLE REESE Bust
    The Kyle Reese Bust Measures approximately 5.75" high x 4" wide x 4.75" deep.

31200500605ab1b5ff72oij9.jpg

BLAIR WILLIAMS Bust
    The Blair Williams Measures approximately 5.5" high x 4" wide x 3" deep.

312005012037383943d9oth2.jpg

MARCUS WRIGHT Bust
    Marcus Wright Bust Measures approximately 5.75" high x 4.25" wide x 4.5" deep.

3120050196480d4fbc8fozn8.jpg
    T-600 Bust
    T-600 Bust Measures approximately 6" high x 5" wide x 5.25" deep.

3120050260ecc63b9ce6oki7.jpg

T-RIP Bust
    T-RIP Bust Measures approximately 6" high x 4" wide x 5.5" deep.

On Sale May 6, 2009
    By DC Direct

The T-RIP bust looks like a bloke holding someone in their arms, I think.:confused:

You know, I thought you might have been a fanboy in your arguements, and there's the proof ;)

You know, I thought you might have been a fanboy in your arguements, and there's the proof ;)

Screw you.:P I don't think there was anything unreasonable in what I have said, which was basically taking in all the information I have gathered so far I have no reason for concern right now.

Pffh, fanboy fanboy! Nyah nyah!
    *puts fingers in ears and stops listening*

;):p

Pffh, fanboy fanboy! Nyah nyah!
    *puts fingers in ears and stops listening*

;):p

Sure anyway, the main reason I posted the busts was to speculate on what the last one could be.:) You don't really think I'd post busts to just share in my "fanboyism" do you? You give me too little credit!:(:P

Hmm judging by the shape of the head, it reminds me of arnie's barnet from the previous Terminator, so I'm gonna guess it's a half-made (CGI?) Arnie T800 that will be found in the Terminator factory we know features. There speculation Arnie will feature in some fashion, so I think that'll be it.

Oh and it's good that you admit your inner fanboy; the first step is admitting you have a problem :D;) I kid, I kid.

didnt arnie spend a day on set recently?

Money on a *I'll be back* line?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think they said Arnie will be in it, but only if they can get the special effects right for what they want to accomplish.

Just got around to watching the trailer there now. Looks like pure muck.

The future of the Terminator films should be a perpetual twilight in the frozen grip of a nuclear winter.... But apparently whatever warheads Skynet used make the world look like it's perpetually stuck in a Jerry Bruckheimer film... my god... those left alive must envy the dead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I haven't trawled through this entire thread so sorry if they are up here already.....
    Here are some photos from the T4 film on IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4117137920/tt0438488

Advertisement