Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

aidz wrote: »
    I personally dont see much of a price difference in the beer between the south and north.
    heineken at £13 for 20 bottles is about €17.
    you can normally get 20 bottles in offers in teh south for €20.

a lot of the ni shops carry the smaller bottles (275ml). That size is a waste of a time if you are a drinker at all.

There also is a lot of crap drink, carling, tennants, uk bulmers. Each to their own, but they taste terrible.

hard to beat the €6.99 6 pack of 500ml beer in lidl in the south.(proper german beer)

i bought sol in tesco (south) today. €9.99 for 16 bottles.First time i had it. Not bad, think ill stick to the lidl stuff though.

spirits are cheaper in the north. and a good bit at that.

I was in enniskillen on monday past. It was a joke with all the 'mexicans'. Traffic, parking, shop aisles and queing at the tills was a nightmare. Whatever your jounrney time is, add an hour for the increased traffic.

Some great savings on baby stuff and their special offers, but the shopping experience is highly stressful. Would rather spend the time wasted on travel, queuing and inconvience with the family.

Wouldnt recommend the experience to everyone. Some cash can be saved, but not worth it on the whole.

sol

what tesco did you get 16 bottles for 9.99?

its rare that you would get 6 bottles here for under that price.

Misprint possibly?

ive only ever seen them at 9.99 for 6 bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

I was up North over the weekend. Tesco's had a special offer on Spirits (Smirnoff Vodka, Gordons Gin, Famous Grouse, Baileys, others but can't remember!) 2 1 litre bottles for £20. Thats some value!

Sorry, but I didn't note when the offer ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mohenley

Planning on heading up to Newry/Lisburn Sat morning. Thinking of going to sainsburys but must check out Tesco incase they have better deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

Repolho wrote: »
    I was up North over the weekend. Tesco's had a special offer on Spirits (Smirnoff Vodka, Gordons Gin, Famous Grouse, Baileys, others but can't remember!) 2 1 litre bottles for £20. Thats some value!

Sorry, but I didn't note when the offer ends!

I was up in Enniskillen yesterday and went to Dunnes, Tesco and Asda. Unforunately they had no Smirnoff left in Tesco so missed out on that offer. Bought a fair few tins of Quality Street as well as tins of biscuits and cans of coke and club orange. Will go up again in a few weeks to get some drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

paracetamol is a fraction of price up North compared to down here and theres no rectriction on amount you can buy. My local chemist charges 2.25 euro for 24 tablets of 500mg paracetamol. I got 36 tablets for 60p up north. Good to stock up if your household uses it regularly. Im sure this applies to other stuff in chemists so stock up on supplies for your first aid kit/medicine cabinet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

mohenley wrote: »
    Planning on heading up to Newry .. Thinking of going to sainsburys ..

If you're not going to be in The Quays car park before 9AM, don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

TarfHead wrote: »
    If you're not going to be in The Quays car park before 9AM, don't bother.
    +1

I would second that motion. Keep away from the Quays after 9am any morning between now and January.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi again lads :D

The Belfast day trip kind of went out the window - so i'm now going to head as close to the border to do my shopping as possible, which is mainly going to be booze with some boxes of sweets etc. for the family - Will be coming from Sligo so I take it that Enniskillen might be the best bet? Is it a matter of spending the morning browsing different supermarkets for booze to see who has the best deal on at the time? Or is it predictable that one will be cheaper than the other? (I don't know what supermarkets are in Enniskillen, anyone konw for sure??)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Was thinking of going up to newry this sunday coming but having second thoughts now. Dont fancy that traffic. Is there a good choice of shops in banbridge? Looking for drink, some clothes and maybe some presents.

Also do the shops open late on a friday night in newry and would it be worth leaving dublin after work at approx 4pm to go up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Your better off using websites the day before you go to get an idea where the best offers are as sometimes one shop will be doing much better specials than another depending on what your getting, try these sites for prices and specials...

www.supermarketspecialoffers.com
    www.sainsburystoyou.co.uk
    www.asda.co.uk
    www.tesco.com

Sainsburys in Newry is open 8am to 10pm monday to friday, not sure on weekend hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi again lads :D

The Belfast day trip kind of went out the window - so i'm now going to head as close to the border to do my shopping as possible, which is mainly going to be booze with some boxes of sweets etc. for the family - Will be coming from Sligo so I take it that Enniskillen might be the best bet? Is it a matter of spending the morning browsing different supermarkets for booze to see who has the best deal on at the time? Or is it predictable that one will be cheaper than the other? (I don't know what supermarkets are in Enniskillen, anyone konw for sure??)

Cheers

Asda, Tesco, Dunnes are all in Enniskillen and are quiet close to each other. I was in all 3 yesterday and all had different drink offers. Tins of Quality Street and Roses were the same in all 3 though (£5)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

in the same boat here, heading to the north, think ennisk is the nearest, I'm coming from a bit further south, mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

gazzer wrote: »
    Asda, Tesco, Dunnes are all in Enniskillen and are quiet close to each other. I was in all 3 yesterday and all had different drink offers. Tins of Quality Street and Roses were the same in all 3 though (£5)

Cheers gazzer will Google to get location info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

gazzer wrote: »
    . Tins of Quality Street and Roses were the same in all 3 though (£5)

For how many ? I saw them at 2 for EUR 9.99 in a Dublin TESCO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 djruane

Hey guys where is Tesco and Dunnes in relation to ASDA in Enniskillen?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Tesco is very close to ASDA,Dunnes store as well.You can check it at google map.
    http://maps.google.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭aidz

mailburner wrote: »
    sol

what tesco did you get 16 bottles for 9.99?

its rare that you would get 6 bottles here for under that price.

Misprint possibly?

ive only ever seen them at 9.99 for 6 bottles

I made an error. Just checked and it was €9.99 for 12 bottles of sol (not 16).
    It was in Tesco Monaghan.
    Also can get any tin of sweets (roses, QS etc) for €6.25 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Have to agree with aidz in that I don't see what the fuss is about.

Admittedly booze and meat is cheaper - and while I appreciate that is ample substenance for many - it isn't what I tend to fill my trolley with.

Happy to shop in a mexican lidl myself, but indeed each to their own.

I would say that the majority of your weekly shop is cheaper. This is especially the case for household items such as Toilet Roll and also toiletries.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Bond-007 wrote: »
    +1

I would second that motion. Keep away from the Quays after 9am any morning between now and January.

Except for Sundays! They open at 12 on Sundays for "browsing time" - Sunday trading laws prohibit any selling before 1pm. I found that out the hard way, but it's actually quite a good thing as it's a lot less crowded.

Ideally, get there for then, park, go and suss out everything you want between 12-1 and then get shopping. The staff are legally not able to help you before 1pm on Sundays so you won't be able to try on, etc.

At 1pm Sainsbury's starts to go insane, but after the initial rush of people (who have been queueing up with trolleys waiting for the shop to open) leave, it is a little less chaotic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Was in Sains in Newry on Tuesday and got 6 bottles of Montana white wine for e36. Thats e6 a bottle compared to 11-12e down here.

25% extra off when you buy 6 - and the Montana is stg5.99 each.

great stuff.
    Not a lot of bottles out for sale (pallets) so I would wait a week of two for all the cans to go - if thats waht ye prefer :)

K

I am heading up to Lisburn tomorrow. Is there any off license worth checing out. Looking for good deals on beer as will get the wine in sainburys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

mohenley wrote: »
    I am heading up to Lisburn tomorrow. Is there any off license worth checing out. Looking for good deals on beer as will get the wine in sainburys.

Curley's in the Kennedy centre, Falls Road, just off the M1 about 10 mins from lisburn has an off-licence which is really cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Asda in Enniskillen are selling 2 bottles of Absolut Vodka 70cl for £18 or €22.17 based on todays exchange rate. 1 bottle of Absolut Vodka 70cl costs €22.49 in Tesco. Asda have a small selection of 2 bottles for £18, you can choose any 2 bottles from Absolut Vodka, Famous Grouse Whisky. Tia Maria, Disarrono, Malibu or Lambs Navy Rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Does anyone know the cost of Grey Goose up North ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Smoggy wrote: »
    Does anyone know the cost of Grey Goose up North ?

There's a few websites you can check for the prices there on this thread somewhere.Good info DonJose great thread this one is everyone helping eachother:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Just back from Sainsburys in Newry - the 25% off 6 + bottles of wine finishes Sunday and wine section was jammed.... so stocked up for a good while with 18 bottles :o:o

Great prices for Jacobs Creek Grenache Shiraz (£3.99) Grenache Zinfandel Rose (£3.99) Penfold Kanoouga (5.99) and Montana (5.99) and Kumala Canernet Shiraz (4.20 or so!) all less 25% when you buy 6 or more.

Also Smirnoff Blue 1l for around £15.00 (same for Smirnoff Black 70cl) and Sainbsurys Baileys style Irish Cream (lovely!) for £8.99 at half price. Didnt notice Grey goose though!

Car was heaving with bottles coming down the M1!!!:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

samo wrote: »
    Just back from Sainsburys in Newry - the 25% off 6 + bottles of wine finishes Sunday and wine section was jammed.... so stocked up for a good while with 18 bottles :o:o

Great prices for Jacobs Creek Grenache Shiraz (£3.99) Grenache Zinfandel Rose (£3.99) Penfold Kanoouga (5.99) and Montana (5.99) and Kumala Canernet Shiraz (4.20 or so!) all less 25% when you buy 6 or more.

Adsa have a special wine offer, 3 bottles for £10, this offer includes several wines which sell for £6.98 a bottle, thats over 50% off :eek:

http://www.asda.com/asda_shop/rc18_promotions/web_rc18_a_promotions_aisle.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0654556170.1226088522@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceladefgedlkjmcfkfcfkjdgoodgmi.0&sIncentiveKey=50506&qShowMultisave=true&depotID=9775&graphic=undefined&from=null

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Have a look at this website http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk don't know if it has already been posted but has all special offers on.It also allows you to make a shopping list of what you want and it will tell you which supermarket is cheapest for your list.

Nicoteen replacement stuff is alot cheaper than down here .Asda's own label 4mg tabs are 10 euro for 72 as compared to branded stuff down here at 26 euro in my local chemist.

I have also found that you can save a fair bit of time getting to Asda eniskillen by coming in on the Dublin road rather than the Sligo road.As you dont have to cross the bridge and drive alongside river.The first time i went up it took 25 mins from the hill down to the bridge to Asda on the other side of Eniskillen.

Advertisement