Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Whats the cheapest petrol in the city?

Seen 112.9 in a few garages myself but was on pumps.ie and theres a maxol in westside advertising 99c a litre. That true??
    That Maxol is usually a few cent more expensive so it must be an old listing. It certainly wasn't 99c when I drove past there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Robbo wrote: »
    That Maxol is usually a few cent more expensive so it must be an old listing. It certainly wasn't 99c when I drove past there yesterday.

i thought as much although on pumps.ie it does say it was updated today. Dont believe it though. Anywhere else cheaper than 112.9 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

rarnes1 wrote: »
    i thought as much although on pumps.ie it does say it was updated today. Dont believe it though. Anywhere else cheaper than 112.9 ?

The new Texaco in the Docks was the cheapest when i toured the city centre at the start of the week, but for the life of me, i canny remebmer any prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Sweeney Oil Esso in Oranmore after the train tracks has always been very decent since statoil fecked off

Also the esso in Ballybrit

they're the cheapest I've found

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

My car holds 60 litres. If I fill up at the cheapest I save less than 2 euro compared to the most expensive if my maths is sound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thought I saw 112.5 at Topaz yesterday. Maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

biko wrote: »
    My car holds 60 litres. If I fill up at the cheapest I save less than 2 euro compared to the most expensive if my maths is sound.

That €100 a year you'd save would buy you something nice next Christmas.

Assuming you weren't going miles out of your way to get to the cheapest.

Recessionary penny-pinching ftw :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I did a good bit of driving around the country a couple of weeks ago (Galway to Cork, Kerry and Dublin and back) and could find plenty of places where petrol was far cheaper than anywhere in Galway, at least 8-10c. Can't remember the exact prices now. Any reason as to why we seem to be getting ripped off?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

That'd be my experience too, most places cheaper than Galway and sometimes pretty significantly. The cheapest I usually find is Gort when I'm on my travels but one station in Limerick was matching that too. At times that difference was up to 10c! And the cheapest of all that I've found was 1.09 in a Tesco in Dublin last weekend...:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yep, Galway seems to be more expensive than anywhere else, I'm on the road a bit with the job too and see much lower prices almost everywhere I go. Its amazing how almost every station in Galway has the exact same prices :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yep, Galway seems to be more expensive than anywhere else, I'm on the road a bit with the job too and see much lower prices almost everywhere I go. Its amazing how almost every station in Galway has the exact same prices :rolleyes:

that says it all, so true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Zzippy wrote: »

indeed, and everyone on the street has a pretty good idea of who's behind it too. good luck getting any action done about it though. sure, remember in 2006 yer man from Clairmorris got a €15000 fine for home-oil price fixing that's supposed to have made him and the others involved at least €4.4million?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Someone told me recently that the new Topaz stations are actually Shell owned. The name change was spurred on by negative publicity re Rossport. Is this true?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Someone told me recently that the new Topaz stations are actually Shell owned. The name change was spurred on by negative publicity re Rossport. Is this true?
    No.

Shell and Statoil's retail operations were bought out by Topaz (who are backed by local property speculator Gerry Barrett amongst others).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Maxol in Westside is closed as of today.

The cheapest I saw as well was the new Texaco by the docks. 112.9.

Came down from Dublin yesterday and fuel got more and more expensive as I neared Galway. Started off at 109 in Dublin, then 112 in Ballinasloe then 115 and even 116 in Galway city.

Galway has always been more expensive than other parts of the country and the similarity in prices over the years should have come to the attention of the Consumer Protection Agency long ago. It stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Robbo wrote: »
    No.

Shell and Statoil's retail operations were bought out by Topaz (who are backed by local property speculator Gerry Barrett amongst others).
    They are bordering on having a monopoly here in Galway by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kfd

Two petrol stations at Turloughmore, Fahy's in the middle of the village and Loughnane's are cheaper than in the city most times. Grealish's in Carnmore in front of pub also very competitive. Don't know what they are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

kfd wrote: »
    Two petrol stations at Turloughmore, Fahy's in the middle of the village and Loughnane's are cheaper than in the city most times. Grealish's in Carnmore in front of pub also very competitive. Don't know what they are today.

Grealish's of carnmore is 110.9 for petrol and diesel

I know this thread is about the city but anyway. I got petrol in the Topaz in Tuam for 109.9 today, diesel was 112.9. I find it strange as I usually find Topaz stations expensive. Also Flanagan's in Corrandulla were 112.9 for both diesel and petrol on monday and as they are usually the cheapest around I would expect them to be even cheaper today.

Also What is going through peoples heads that are getting petrol in campus in Claregalway. They are always at least 10cent dearer than the going rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kfd

Petrol and deisel at Fahy's and Loughnane's in Turloughmore is priced at 1.09.9. Is there any cheaper around the county. Heading east at the weekend, wondering where is cheaper, or should I fill first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

www.pumps.ie dont guess, check it its updated 3 times a day

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Stopped in Dunmore earlier today and filled up at 108.9 per litre for unleaded.

Cant think of the name of the shop but it's just two pumps outside a small mace type convenience store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

kraggy wrote: »
    The cheapest I saw as well was the new Texaco by the docks. 112.9.

Where exactly is this Texaco? Can't place it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

Cheapest I have seen was in Spiddal this morning, the Texaco, at 111.9 for both unleaded and diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

Dublin rd by Supermacs is 111.9

www.pumps.ie dont guess, check it its updated 3 times a day

pumps.ie is sh1te. They were the website which said petrol in westside was 99c/litre !! (see OP). :rolleyes:

moldypeach wrote: »
    Dublin rd by Supermacs is 111.9
    Is that place under new management since their shutdown for selling "Sinn Fein" branded diesel?

s_carnage wrote: »
    Where exactly is this Texaco? Can't place it at all

A round the corner from the Harbour Hotel, on the right before you go under the railway bridge.

• Advertisement

Bonzodog wrote: »
    Cheapest I have seen was in Spiddal this morning, the Texaco, at 111.9 for both unleaded and diesel.

It was 112.9 today and friday for petrol and diesol.

The ESSO (Tigh Neil) up the road in Inverin is 111.9 however.

Advertisement