Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Well said, that's exactly it! When it becomes a chore or a "second paying job" then its time to quit.

They're not paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

I'm in phase two at the minute which means I go to a station and get taught different aspects of the law and, to a certain degree, how to apply it. I've found it really interesting, certainly more so than what I do day to day. I'm not sure how the rest of the training will go but so far I have no regrets. Looking over the next few months the Reserve training is going to infringe on my time and my money. It has already cost me a skiing holiday and I will certainly have spent whatever stipend is given by the time it arrives. However any of these infringements have been authorised by me. I haven't been forced to give anything up except what I have done willingly. This is the sort of commitment that is given freely and I bet most of the people on this thread have done the same.

Having followed this thread since the beginning I can honestly say that I don't care how we are seen by the rest of the force. We are the ones giving freely of our time to (hopefully) benefit society. If some members cannot see the advantages of having another person beside them when they go to perform a difficult arrest then frankly I have very little respect for such short sightedness. Even if the Reserve cannot make the actual arrest the presence of another uniform is bound to help diffuse the situation. How anyone who is trained to talk people down and avoid physical confrontation can moan about that is beyond me. We merely increase the presence of the Gardai on the streets and that has to be a good thing.

As for the question of Reserve impinging on overtime, I don't see that as an issue at all. Just a handy stick to beat us with. How can we infringe on it when we basically have no powers unless a full time guard is accompanying us? Makes no sense.

Also keoghcf, you keep mentioning recruits in your "stories". They're very different to the Reserve as they may be full time trainees.

Anyway I don't see myself attesting and suddenly becoming some sort of crime fighting superhero. What I do see is me performing what is required of me, to the best of my ability, within the constraints imposed on me. I think if we all did that no members would be in a position to give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Very well put CollegeG and good luck with the rest of your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Yes well said colliegG, I am going back down to Templemore on 12th January for Phase 3 when we get our Uniforms. I am sure it will really hit me then what I have got myself into but I am looking forward to it. Our Group graduate on 8th March, I think!! Good luck everyone.

Thanks lads, might need the good luck bit. Got a fair lot to get through!

All going well tho, Freddiew I'll see you at the graduation!! We're the same date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yeah colliegG, I'm with the others there. That was a good post. You present a good argument for the GR. Well worded. We need more of you. Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Agreed well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

yep. well put, when you think back to the beginning of the thread, and realise that it has been viewed in excess of 38,000 times, it proves that the interest is there, good and bad, although I would guess more to the good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 andy1971

Again I Was just wondering is it possible to do just the minimum of 4 hours a week or do they put pressure on the reserves to do more?
    Also lads do you wear the uniform to and from your home and the station or do you only change into your uniform in the station? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Again I Was just wondering is it possible to do just the minimum of 4 hours a week or do they put pressure on the reserves to do more?
    Also lads do you wear the uniform to and from your home and the station or do you only change into your uniform in the station? Thanks

Andy once you are attested it will be up to you to agree with your Sergeant what hours you will work. From experience they would rather that you worked more than four hours, so I tend to work an eight hour shift every two weeks rather than working four hours every week, then again your Sergeant might prefer it that you work four hours every week, at the end of the day its up to you to work it out with your Sarge. Personally I haven't had any pressure put on me to work more hours than were required, but I have been told that we may be asked to come in outside of our agreed hours for certain events. Finally you are not supposed to wear your uniform to and from your station (which is also the case for full time members), although this is not really strictly adhered to. Basically when driving to the station, I would normally wear over my Garda trousers and shirt, with a regular jacket over the shirt, and then put on the tie, stab vest, jacket etc when I get to the station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SHELLYJ

Well said ColliegG!! :D
    Good luck with the rest of the training, I think I was at the same medical as you in november , I was the one deferred!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

ShellyJ, have you just intentionally identified yourself ?
    You might be better off if you edit that post.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AN SEANDUINE

Good luck to all the phase 3 reserve this weekend , sit back and enjoy it ,the worse thing is the changing in and out of the uniform all day. I am currently in phase 4 and am lucky to say the gards i have been on patrol with have been great.Look forward to meeting you all at the graduation in march

Good luck to all the phase 3 reserve this weekend , sit back and enjoy it ,the worse thing is the changing in and out of the uniform all day. I am currently in phase 4 and am lucky to say the gards i have been on patrol with have been great.Look forward to meeting you all at the graduation in march

Wish we could "Sit back" I am up to high doe in case I am not fit enough and I Fail!! Thanks for your encouragement and glad to hear everything is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

freddiew wrote: »
    Wish we could "Sit back" I am up to high doe in case I am not fit enough and I Fail!! Thanks for your encouragement and glad to hear everything is going well.

apart from the medical, is there another fitness test that must be passed during training?

lehanemore wrote: »
    apart from the medical, is there another fitness test that must be passed during training?

Oh Yes, average fitness on Phase 1 they teach you how to fall back and forward as well as arm locks etc fairly minor but Phase 3 it is more advanced i'm told we do Baton training, handcuffs etc I can tell you all after this weekend.

If you were able for phase one you should have no problems with Phase four lads as it is not too disimilar.You well get lots of sessions therefore it will be ingrained by the time you are tested.So dont worry if a grandmother in my group got through there is nothing for ye grandfathers to worry about. Good luck everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 amaxwell

Ladies & Gents, Does anyone have a soft copy (in PDF form) of the "Garda Reserve Policy and Procedure" document? I appreciate that it should not be posted to this site but would welcome a soft copy, so if you have one please PM me.

I'm particulalry interested in understanding what insurance (life & health, loss of earings etc) we are provided as Reserve Gardai.

Thank you.

Alan.

would def agree there must be something,if a volunteer earns a good salary they must be insured incase of an assault etc.

amaxwell wrote: »
    Ladies & Gents, Does anyone have a soft copy (in PDF form) of the "Garda Reserve Policy and Procedure" document? I appreciate that it should not be posted to this site but would welcome a soft copy, so if you have one please PM me.

I'm particulalry interested in understanding what insurance (life & health, loss of earings etc) we are provided as Reserve Gardai.

Thank you.

Alan.

Ask your SHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

It will be interesting to see what the GRA have up their sleeves in relation to the Gardai along with most other public servants not been awarded any pay increases in the latest benchmarking report. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the various Garda Unions not agree in 2006 to co-operate with the Garda Reserve, on the basis that they would be awarded pay increases under benchmarking, although they obviously will still get their annual pay rises. Since this has not happened it will be interesting to see will the GRA now recommend withdrawing this support, hopefully it will not come to this, but I'm sure they will not take this lying down. While I am delighted that Benchmarking did not award any pay increases to most public servants, since their wages, pensions and terms and conditions are way superior to that of most private companies, I sincerely hope this will not cause problems for Garda Reserves.

Just wondering how all the Phase 4 lads got on over the weekend especially Freddiew who worried about his fitness levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

@CO19 and anyone else thinking of applying..

click on the links at the bottom of the page

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Garda_Reserve

or follow the trail on..

www.garda.ie

:)

Just wondering how all the Phase 4 lads got on over the weekend especially Freddiew who worried about his fitness levels.

Well the Saturday went very well but I injured a few ribs and couldn't take part in Sunday. K wants me to go down another weekend but I thought the Sunday would be enough so I am waiting to hear from K. On Sunday my thoughts were to give it all up. It's frustrating to know I can't start my Training this weekend with the Uniform here and all that. Don't see why I have to go down for Saturday as well.

freddiew wrote: »
    Well the Saturday went very well but I injured a few ribs and couldn't take part in Sunday. K wants me to go down another weekend but I thought the Sunday would be enough so I am waiting to hear from K. On Sunday my thoughts were to give it all up. It's frustrating to know I can't start my Training this weekend with the Uniform here and all that. Don't see why I have to go down for Saturday as well.

Don't give up hope Freddiew. You would not be the first or the last to have to go down a second time.One of the reasons for doing the whole weekend is that you will be paired with a partner for the self defence exercises and that simply would not work if you just turned up on Sunday.Anyhow I think it would be best for yourself to do both days it will help you bond with the group.If you come on Sunday you will seem like a complete outsider.The lad I did my self defence with had to leave early on Phase 3 from a previous group and so slotted in with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mountain Man

Don't give up hope Freddiew. You would not be the first or the last to have to go down a second time.One of the reasons for doing the whole weekend is that you will be paired with a partner for the self defence exercises and that simply would not work if you just turned up on Sunday.Anyhow I think it would be best for yourself to do both days it will help you bond with the group.If you come on Sunday you will seem like a complete outsider.The lad I did my self defence with had to leave early on Phase 3 from a previous group and so slotted in with us.

How many exams/physical tests are undertook during each of the different phases? Apologies if question has been asked before.

MM

Next Graduation after 8th March is October, I understood there to be one every three months, not so, heard this straight from the horses mouth! very strange

How many exams/physical tests are undertook during each of the different phases? Apologies if question has been asked before.

MM

Phase I

basic intro, with a question / answer session at the end of both days, there are questions to fill out, but couldnt really class it as a test as such.

Phase II

law training: there is a weekly review and test, with a final test at the end of the phase

Phase III

self defence / baton training / restraint / hand cuff techniques / radio procedure ; assessment on all of the above, and must be passed.

Phase IV

Station training, with daily/weekly assessments to complete, this includes pulse training,

This is what the original phase did, but the rest of the gang might have more for you, as I believe some of the training was tweaked etc, as various intakes went through and answered various questions on the training itself.

Most of the above is alien in the beginning, but once you get out and about and see the practical use of the training, it becomes much easier to relate to.

A reasonable standard of fitness is needed for phase III, and as I think one of the lads pointed out earlier in the thread, dont arrive with a hang-over, as the training staff will spot it a mile away, and they wont be happy bunnies!!

Hi,anyone here a reserve in Kildare,or applying to be?

• Advertisement

Have my Phase 4 starting in a couple of days.

Any hints or tips via pm would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisement