Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Green Tax for motorists - threads merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

hottstuff wrote: »
    No it applies to ALL imports after July 2008 , not just NEW imports!!!!

Sorry, I deleted that post after I did it as I read it again. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

MarkN wrote: »
    Sorry, I deleted that post after I did it as I read it again. :o

No probs.
    This Government is actually very effective!!!

At confusing people:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

I actually think it's going to do a very positive thing to high performance cars when it comes to residuals once they have an early '08 plate or anything older.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

RobAMerc wrote: »
    That means pre 08 high emissions cars may actually go up in value ! and therefore hang around longer as people try to keep high performance cars on the low(er) tax band.

Nice to be on the right side, for once!

A really, really, brave person might even........invest in a few, soon-to-be-unaffordable-to-tax cars.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Yes , i have my order on a feb 08 Evo X.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

I've just had a thought and its not a pleasant one, but I am going to throw it out there for comment.

I am wondering if over the next few consecutive budgets we will see the "Old/Present annual Motor Tax System" increased every year to align itself with the one that will become effective for all cars registered after July 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Nelly23

With (in some cases anyway) the decrease in a cars VRT rate, the market for some second hand imported cars from the UK will be huge! I plan to buy a 04 A3, and with an emisson rating of 140g it just about sneaks into the second band at 16% which equates to a decrease of 9% from 25%. Am I right of talking through my Bum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Very Important section from the Carbon Budget Taken from the Green Party website:

"I should make it clear that these new measures apply to new cars and newly imported cars only with effect from 1st July 2008 and that cars registered before that date will continue to be taxed in future years under the existing system relating to cubic capacity engine sizes"

That means that my 2002 320d will be 590 euros to tax next year and i can import a 2002 320d in july 08 and tax it for 290:mad:

This means my car will be worth less than an imported 2002 320d :mad:

totally stupid f**king system and not very environmentally friendly if all the county is buying/importing cars next year.

a lot of Co2 is produced making a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭sk8board

trellheim wrote: »
    I drive an LS400 but only do < 5000 miles a year [ cycle or train to work ] ... but the guy who drives 40000 miles in a year pays less ... so no its not particularly logical.

Some class of tax based on mileage might be useful.

well, I guess petrol has about 75% tax applied to every litre, so you could say the 40k miles per year driver is paying 3-4 times as much petrol tax as you.

I'm in the same situation, only doing 1-2k miles per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Band G, the top band - €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per km.

Thats my car scrapped then.

Mike.

Its only fo rnew cars is it not? ie cars regiustered after 1st july. Your car will still be taxed under the old system.

IS there an official list of cars co2 output? surely the governement will have to put up a list that they will work off. The missus fanices a new scenic so we were looking at a 1.5 diesel. The link Sk8board posted a few pages back says its 143 g/km where as Renault.ie gives it as 138 g/km. The difference between under and over 140 g/km means a diffence of €140 in tax (€150 and €290). The "official" uk link in Meisters post s says 143g/km as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cheers Stekelly, we figured it out about 3 pages back! :D

The government will have to publish a list soon alright. As the UK has been using CO2 measurments for a while I guess they'll just borrow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Cheers Stekelly, we figured it out about 3 pages back! :D

I noticed after I posted :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

My BMW 530 d hs emissions of 170 g, Could I bring it to the UK register it then reimport it and so save myself 600 euro a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I don't get this at all, so with this new CO2 emissions base tax to come in I could end up paying more tax on a small engine car that does more MPG than a big engine car that has less CO2 emissions but does less MPG.
    Where is the logic in that :confused:

So a petrol car that has less CO2 emissions but drinks more petrol and costs more to run is more enviromently friendly. All this means will be more demand for fuel, more emissions from the oil regs and refineries, fuel will run out quicker. I'm sorry but this latest one from the Greens is a **** up, not everyone can afford a new Merc or BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Band E (171-190 grams per km) -€ 600.
    Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000.

Right so according to http://www.smmtco2.co.uk which lists my 02 1.9 TDI Passat at 192 g/km, I'll have to pay an extra €400 for 2 f*cking g/km??? :mad:

Good thing I was planning to change it anyway. I wonder will there be the same outcry as there was for the recent L-plate fiasco once people have realised the implications?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Right so according to http://www.smmtco2.co.uk which lists my 02 1.9 TDI Passat at 192 g/km, I'll have to pay an extra €400 for 2 f*cking g/km??? :mad:

Good thing I was planning to change it anyway. I wonder will there be the same outcry as there was for the recent L-plate fiasco once people have realised the implications?

You don't have to pay anything extra ...well ...9.5% more on your existing tax, but that's it. Emmission based tax will not affect your already registered car, only new ones from next July.

But if you DO get a new one, then make sure it's not the same again and that it's not delivered after July 1st :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Traumadoc wrote: »
    My BMW 530 d hs emissions of 170 g, Could I bring it to the UK register it then reimport it and so save myself 600 euro a year?

Nope - your car will revert to it's original reg when you bring it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

As others have said, it won't affect you, as your car is a '02. It will only affect cars registered after July '08. Its interesting to see how much emissions have been reduced by manufacturers since your car was new. The current VW 1.9TDI produces about 150g/km, the 2.0TDI a similar amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Dwilly wrote: »
    Nope - your car will revert to it's original reg when you bring it back in.

Then my car will seriously depreciate as a new car will only pay 430 euro as opposed to 1200 for a year old car:mad: and any one who buys a low emmission car in the next 6 months will be a fool as in 6 months nobody will want them!! you are better off buying a high emission car in terms of depreciation. green idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

So if anybody is even half thinking about buying a powerful and 'dirty' car, now is the time to do it before July. A few years down the line the market for pre July '08 sports cars is bound to be a lot a hotter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

what happens if you import a pre 01 car from the UK after July?

will it be on the old rates?
    if it's on the new rates... where is the CO2 info going to come from? Will it just default to the highest band?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My UK registered 3.8ltr 1981 Slc380, if I register that after July what will the rate be, i.e. where they get the emissions info from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

irish1 wrote: »
    My UK registered 3.8ltr 1981 Slc380, if I register that after July what will the rate be, i.e. where they get the emissions info from?

If you register it before July 2008 you will pay the annual road tax based on the current engine cc system. If afterwards you would pay road tax based on the new banded system and face an annual road tax of 2k.

They will based teh emissions on the CE cert for the car - if its not available they can apply the maximum rate.

If I was you I would register it before July as I understand that that is when the band rates comeinto effect for both the new banded road tax and VRT system. VRT will be dependent on the market value of your car here if applicable depending on your circumstances.

Budget 2008 VRT
    Budget 2008 Pre July 2008 registered Road Tax Rates

Budget 2008 Post July 1, 2008 Road tax rates

You could buy a run around and store her until 2011 when she would be 30 years old and be considered a classic car and thus none of these taxes would be applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Right then - someone better start a new post regarding all the cars to get in, quick, before July 08.

Go here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54597723#post54597723

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There'll be no 530d left in the UK by this time next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Excuse my ignorance here, but I was just thinking, is there any correlation between CO2 emissions and MPG, and generally, do petrols or diesels produce more CO2 for engines of similar size? I'm just wondering how valid this 'Gas Guzzler' term so frequently used by the media is, with respect to CO2 emissions.

Could it be the case that a car with relatively low fuel economy can have very low CO2 emissions?
    Similarly, can a very economical diesel have a high CO2 emissions?

To quote Ireland.com:

"Under the new system involving seven car tax bands, a charge of €2,000 a year will be levied on "gas guzzlers", while the tax on the most energy efficient cars will be €100 a year."

So does low CO2 always imply more a economical car?

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2007/1207/1196839063450.html

Cheers,

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I have read alot of posts here where people are stating that there car tax bill will increase or decrease because of the new CO2 based system.

Please note that this new system doesnt effect cars which have been registered pre July 08.

This is a simple fact that most people have got wrong!

So my 99 1.4 Astra will be taxed by engine size as it has always been done, expect with the increase of 9.5%.

ONLY cars registered after July 08 will be taxed based on the new CO2 system.

This is not difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Says the accountant :D

I think the confusion is coming from the rise in the current car tax bands at the same time, so people hear that their current car tax is going up (by 9% or 11%) then they hear about the new carbon bands put 2 and 2 together and get 5, but their not accountants kluivert

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Here is a full list (based on the SIMI list) of all cars that will be in the €100 p/a bracket:

Audi A2 1.4 TDI 75 BHP
    Citroen C1 1.0i 3dr
    Citroen C1 1.0i 5dr
    Citroen C1 1.0i SX 5dr
    Citroen C3 1.4HDi
    Daihatsu Charade 1.0L 5 Door Manual
    Fiat Multijet Dynamic
    Fiat 1.3 Multijet 75 Active 3dr
    Fiat 1.3 Multijet 75 Active 5dr
    Fiat 1.3 Multijet 75 Dynamic 3dr
    Fiat 1.3 Multijet 75 Dynamic 5dr
    Ford Ka 5 Dr 1.4 TDCi FINESSE
    Ford Fiesta 5 Dr 1.4 TDCi LX
    Ford Fiesta Fusion 1 5Dr 1.4 TDCi
    Ford Fiesta Fusion Steel 5Dr 1.4 TDCi
    Honda Civic Hybrid
    Peugeot 107 S 1.0 3dr
    Peugeot 107 SE 1.0 3dr
    Peugeot 107 S 1.0 5dr
    Peugeot 107 SE 1.0 5dr
    Peugeot 107 SE 1.0 2-Tronic
    Peugeot 206 SE 1.4 Hdi
    Peugeot 1007 S 1.4 Hdi
    Peugeot 1007 SE 1.4 Hdi
    Peugeot 206 SW XT 1.4 Hdi ABS + A/C E/W Fr Fogs E/ Mirrors
    Renault Clio 1.5 dCi 86 SPORT+
    Renault Clio 1.5 dCi 86 DYNAMIQUE
    Renault Clio 1.5 dCi 86 AUTHENTIQUE
    Renault Clio 1.5 dCi 86 SPORT+
    Smart ForTwo pure 698cc 50bhp
    Smart ForTwo pure 698cc 61bhp
    Smart ForTwo pulse 698cc 61bhp
    Smart ForTwo passion 698cc 61bhp
    Toyota MC PRIUS 1.5 5DR HSD
    Toyota PRIUS 1.5 5DR HSD
    Toyota AYGO 1.0 3DR AURA
    Toyota AYGO 1.0 5DR AURA
    Toyota AYGO 1.0 3DR STRATA MM
    Toyota AYGO 1.0 3DR STRATA
    Toyota AYGO 1.0 5DR STRATA MMT
    Toyota AYGO 1.0 5DR STRATA
    Toyota AYGO 1.0 3DR TERRA
    Toyota AYGO 1.0 5DR TERRA
    Toyota YARIS D4D 3DR TERRA VAN
    Toyota YARIS 1.4 D4D 5DR LUNA MC
    Toyota YARIS 1.4 D4D 5D LUNA FOG
    Toyota NG YAR 1.4 D4D 5DR TERRA

Interestingly, the Germans are not exactly market leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

So if anybody is even half thinking about buying a powerful and 'dirty' car, now is the time to do it before July. A few years down the line the market for pre July '08 sports cars is bound to be a lot a hotter

Not really, large engined cars have high tax anyway and I presume we'll see more and more hikes to the existing sytem over time to encourage people further towards lower emmission cars

Advertisement