Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Will probably come a point where a bridge will have to be built for one carriageway of the M40 and the tunnel converted into the other a la Dartford crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I wonder, if there is a bridge built down there eventually will they just shut the tunnel down?

Just consider, when it opened first nightly maintenance shut downs were scarce perhaps twice a year.

I am noticing these shut downs are a lot more regular now, the reason seems to be very obvious especially when you are in the North bound bore at the lowest section, there is always wet patches down there, even when the roads leading to the tunnel are dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

kub wrote: »
    I wonder, if there is a bridge built down there eventually will they just shut the tunnel down?

Just consider, when it opened first nightly maintenance shut downs were scarce perhaps twice a year.

I am noticing these shut downs are a lot more regular now, the reason seems to be very obvious especially when you are in the North bound bore at the lowest section, there is always wet patches down there, even when the roads leading to the tunnel are dry.

Bridge would need to be high enough to allow shipping underneath and would also need to feed traffic into the Dunkettle interchange.

Is there enough space to do so. That would result in a very steep incline.

Bridge would need to be high enough to allow shipping underneath and would also need to feed traffic into the Dunkettle interchange.

I wonder with the relocation of the container terminal in Tivoli down to Ringaskiddy will this mean that not only container ships but bulk ones may also go to Ringaskiddy and therefore would the high bridge be necessary.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The issue long term is that the area around Dunkettle has lots of constraints and building Ireland's biggest interchange on 5+ levels isn't feasible.

There are a number of better solutions for when Dunkettle becomes saturated:

1. North Ring Road - no brainer
    2. Link from M8/M40 junction at Glanmire to future N25 near Carrigtwohill/Middleton
    3. M48 outer orbital from Ballinhassig (M71) to Carrigaline (M28) with possible Cork Harbour viaduct
    4. Buses, trains, bikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Frostybrew

marno21 wrote: »
    The issue long term is that the area around Dunkettle has lots of constraints and building Ireland's biggest interchange on 5+ levels isn't feasible.

There are a number of better solutions for when Dunkettle becomes saturated:

1. North Ring Road - no brainer
    2. Link from M8/M40 junction at Glanmire to future N25 near Carrigtwohill/Middleton
    3. M48 outer orbital from Ballinhassig (M71) to Carrigaline (M28) with possible Cork Harbour viaduct
    4. Buses, trains, bikes

Options 1 and 4 are the way to go here. Once the NNR is complete and the Cork radial routes are upgraded to Motorway standard, funding should be concentrated on public transport. There's no need for an outer orbital route for a city the size of Cork, even one expanded to a size many multiples of it's present size.

If we continue to experience traffic congestion post NRR completion then lack of investment in public transport will be the culprit and not a deficiency in our roads network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Options 1 and 4 are the way to go here.

Agreed. I'd also like option 2 though. Probably not a priority but it would be a great link to steer some traffic away from Dunkettle. I know I'd make good use of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Bacchus wrote: »
    Agreed. I'd also like option 2 though. Probably not a priority but it would be a great link to steer some traffic away from Dunkettle. I know I'd make good use of it :)

It would be possible to upgrade R626 or the Watergrasshill-Carrigtwohill road (Longstown hill). Personally - though I use these roads a lot - I hope it doesn't happen. The next things I want to see improved after the north ring road are the public and sustainable transport modes.
    It's crazy that we still see >90% single-occupant car usage in places like Little Island. I feel there's a lot of relatively cheap wins to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

It was truly awful before they signalised it circa 2005.

Yes I do recall using it for a brief period before it was signalised, a free for all is what it was.

Even using the Kinsale Road Roundabout before the flyover was installed seems hard to believe looking back, as well as Bandon and Sarsfield Road Roundabouts.

When is the N40 due to become the M40, is it after the completion of these works?

Yes I do recall using it for a brief period before it was signalised, a free for all is what it was.

Even using the Kinsale Road Roundabout before the flyover was installed seems hard to believe looking back, as well as Bandon and Sarsfield Road Roundabouts.

When is the N40 due to become the M40, is it after the completion of these works?

I thought the re-designation of the N40 to M40 was imminent, I think i read somewhere that funds were set aside for signage etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It would be possible to upgrade R626 or the Watergrasshill-Carrigtwohill road (Longstown hill). Personally - though I use these roads a lot - I hope it doesn't happen. The next things I want to see improved after the north ring road are the public and sustainable transport modes.
    It's crazy that we still see >90% single-occupant car usage in places like Little Island. I feel there's a lot of relatively cheap wins to be had.

When places like Little Island are built around the car, the result we have is what you get.

Long term there will have to be some sort of thought put into pedestrian/cycle facilities around the JLT. The current Mahon -> Little Island route involves a tour of the city centre.

kub wrote: »
    I thought the re-designation of the N40 to M40 was imminent, I think i read somewhere that funds were set aside for signage etc.

M40 redesignation should happen in the next few years. Consultants are working out the ins and outs of it at the minute.

M40 redesignation should happen in the next few years. Consultants are working out the ins and outs of it at the minute.

So there is a lot more than replacing N letters with M letters on the tarmac and replacing green signs with Blue ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Will the M8 south of Glenmire become M40?

Between the Dunkettle Roundabout and the current Junction 18?

It will presumably when the North Ring will be built. M40 will be Ballincollig-Bishopstown-Togher-Kinsale Rd-Douglas-Mahon-Dunkettle-Glanmire-Blarney

It will presumably when the North Ring will be built. M40 will be Ballincollig-Bishopstown-Togher-Kinsale Rd-Douglas-Mahon-Dunkettle-Glanmire-Blarney

Is it unreasonable to think of an M22-M40 link up into the future once the Macroom Bypass is built,it will only leave from Currahaly,Srelane,Lissarda remaining the same as it is now?

Is it unreasonable to think of an M22-M40 link up into the future once the Macroom Bypass is built,it will only leave from Currahaly,Srelane,Lissarda remaining the same as it is now?
    Was indicated as a priority requirement to be built before 2008 in the 1998 Road Needs Study. Now won't be complete until 2035 at the earliest.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057586336

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

The latest email update from the Dunkettle Interchange Project:
    • Archaeological Investigation Works are continuing at the Dunkettle Interchange site. To date, one fulacht fiadh has been uncovered. The initial sweep of the site will be completed this month and we expect that the fulacht fiadh site and any other archaeological sites uncovered will be fully resolved well in advance of Main Construction Works.
    • Detailed Ground Investigation Works will get underway in potential soft ground areas, at locations of proposed structures etc. during this month. The majority of these works will be offline but commuters will certainly notice the increased level of activity at the Dunkettle site.
    • The Main Construction Works will get underway early in 2019. In advance of that, we will be progressing works at the Silversprings Interchange on the N8, commencing early next month. These works will regularise both inbound and outbound lanes in the Interchange area. Details of traffic management measures proposed during the Construction Phase will be set out in future updates but these Improvement Works will be completed in advance of the Dunkettle Interchange Main Construction Phase.
    • Cork County Council are also advancing a scheme aimed at improving traffic flow in the general Little Island Interchange area. Tenders for the works required will be invited next month and again the intention is to complete these works in advance of the Dunkettle Interchange Main Construction Phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Surely this scheme could see the N25 redesignated to M25?

No reason not to and also add 2 extra lanes each way.

Surely this scheme could see the N25 redesignated to M25?

No reason not to and also add 2 extra lanes each way.
    The N25 goes all the way to Rosslare though, and I don't think that is in the pipeline in the next decade or even longer. The government TD David Stanton doesn't appear interested in it. Going east from Dunkettle needs an M25,better Bus services and also the Midleton to Youghal railway line reinstated if they really want to tackle traffic. The current N25 is bad, I can only imagine what life must have been like before it when the current road opened in or around 1991 was it? I only have very vague memories of travelling to Youghal by bus but didn't take much notice of the road network.

• Advertisement

You could maybe get as far as Midleton with it being motorway but after that the N25 is single lane and passes through a couple of villages. You'd need to build a whole new motorway starting from the Carrigtwohill/Midleton all the way to... well however far you want a new motorway to go... Youghal... Dungarvan... Waterford...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

DerMutt wrote: »
    The latest email update from the Dunkettle Interchange Project:
    • Archaeological Investigation Works are continuing at the Dunkettle Interchange site. To date, one fulacht fiadh has been uncovered. The initial sweep of the site will be completed this month and we expect that the fulacht fiadh site and any other archaeological sites uncovered will be fully resolved well in advance of Main Construction Works.

How on earth has a fulacht fiadh survived all of the tunnel build and all of the other activity over the years totally undiscovered :eek:

What are the rules around such a find? Do they have to somehow preserve it? Do they just study it to the nth degree and then knock it down?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's thousands of them so document and destroy is likely to be fine.

Works at the Silversprings Interchange on the N8

What does this involve by the way? First I've heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Extended the DC to the flyover.

At the moment the DC goes down to a single lane 100m before the sliproad. Makes no sense and cause congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Adding a formal second lane inbound at the pinchpoint by the tool hire place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Adding a formal second lane inbound at the pinchpoint by the tool hire place.

They really need to widen the slip road so two trucks can use it as opposed to one truck straddling it now!

• Advertisement

Oh that. Makes sense I suppose. There has been an unofficial second lane there for years during rush hour, with cars poking wheels onto the opposing lane. But its worked.

Advertisement