Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

PADI Turtle

453960.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

That’s a hell of a watch and a hell of a photo, but is it useful? I’m trying to think of a reason I would fiddle with my wristwatch and probably do mental arithmetic in the left seat instead of pulling out the E6B.

Cheers.....I've never used the slide rule...I just love the look of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Think the carrera might be going next week, had to wear it one last time, I know the majority of people don’t rate tag in general but something about this one that I like

453998.jpeg

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭The_Guvnor

Beautiful peacock in your picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Seiko SNE095P2. My daily beater

454055.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Today's watch. Don't wear it enough so decided to throw it on now ��

454061.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Bought this one yesterday but it is being shipped to my address in the US. Won't have it in my hands for a few weeks.

Sellers picture used with his permission.

Seiko SBDC053

gOfinh8l.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I like lume at the "wrong" end of a seconds hand on a diver. It shows the purpose of diver's seconds hand. That it's nada to do with accuracy and much more to do with "is this bloody thing still ticking, or do I need to sprout gills?". :D Plus the lume on Seiko in my experience anyway is the best of the non radioactive lume of any brand. They really are a great brand with really cool watches.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Today's watch. Don't wear it enough so decided to throw it on now ��

Oh, that's a nice watch. What is it?

[edit]Think my Google-fu found it (or stuff very similar at any rate). Vostok Neptune

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wibbs wrote: »
    Longines Ultronic Diver from 1972. I find this gets a lot of my wrist time.

That’s class. What are your thoughts on why the sweeping quartz did not become more common?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eoin wrote: »
    That’s class. What are your thoughts on why the sweeping quartz did not become more common?
    Well that one is tuning fork only, but yeah the early quartz - other than the seiko Astron - were smooth sweeping because they used the tuning fork setup as a way to drive the hands. They were the only game in town for about a year or so. Seiko kept developing their stepping motor and in Switzerland Girard Perregaux among others were doing the same, both one tick per second.

I reckon the sweeping versions didn't last long because they were very expensive to manufacture. They required more parts and much more human hand involvement. This meant prices were very high. Two to four times the price of mechanicals. They could be more delicate, about halfway between quartz and mechanical(or in the case of the Longines about as robust as an egg on a dance floor for rhinos) and they used a lot more battery power. On modern batteries you might see a year before needing a replacement, but usually less and back then less again. The stepping motors came with battery guarantees of over a year.

Plus it's easy to forget that back then that while there had been mechanical watches that had this complication, one tick per second was "new" and "modern" and showed off the accuracy of the new tech and the fact you were wearing one, in a reversal of today's mechanical sweep is better idea. Seiko's early adverts ran with the line "have you ever seen a second" to promote this. The disadvantage to the stepping motor was it didn't have the torque to move large hands, or even medium sized hands, so many analogue quartz throughout the 70's had thinner slimmer hands. The GP stepping motor did have the torque and in my humble was the better design, more torque no exposed coil, more robust but was again pricey to produce. Getting the second hand to line up precisely with the dial markings another issue. Though the early examples did. Then again they were very well made and expensive top of the brand range watches.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Oh, that's a nice watch. What is it?

[edit]Think my Google-fu found it (or stuff very similar at any rate). Vostok Neptune

Hi, it's a Amphibian SE 020678S, not sure if they are available anymore as they were a limited edition.

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Hi, it's a Amphibian SE 020678S, not sure if they are available anymore as they were a limited edition.

When I went searching last night I spotted something fairly similar that I have my eye on now.

I'll likely not buy it though as I've something else on the way. I'm also thinking dive watches might look enormous on my wrist.

In Honour of Eoin's post I thought I'd strap on a watch I haven't worn in a good while. :)

454095.jpg

Bulova Centenary edition Accuquartz from '75. They kept faith with the tuning fork driving the hands the longest, until around 76/7. They dropped in a quartz module to regulate the tuning fork which drove the hands, instead of the tuning fork doing the timing and hands. They had invented the tuning fork movement so It was easier for them to get into the new quartz by that route and meant their existing service folks could transition more easily. Very accurate little watch. Under 20 secs per year.

Yeah the day is wrong. :s The date is quickset the day isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Speaking of watches that haven't been worn in a while, I thought I'd throw up a pic of my 40th birthday gift from her good self. I haven't worn this for a few years as it got shoved down the pecking order. Funny how it seems such a small watch now (think it's 41mm) but small is cool again eh?

UY65pin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Nice TAG Heuer

The value of those models has shot up of late, they are making more than the current model f1 chrono in good nick and that looks in very good condition.
    I’ve had a few different variations over the years but the red has to be the best.

The internet isn’t for everyone

Todays watch is an out of focus Festina chronograph of some description.

rj03yx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Darwin wrote: »
    Funny how it seems such a small watch now (think it's 41mm) but small is cool again eh?

That's what I keep telling the wife

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

My everyday Seiko.

454214.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

454296.jpg

Black not the best choice in this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Black not the best choice in this weather.

Oh that Bambino is a sexy watch! Im going to have to buy one. Dam you!

New Seiko 5. Ditched the bracelet for leather.

41241459600_df99e85b41_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

That's really nice. Where did you pick that up, might I ask? Toying with the idea of adding a Seiko - have never had one!

That's really nice. Where did you pick that up, might I ask? Toying with the idea of adding a Seiko - have never had one!

Cheers, I got it from Jomashop....but, if you're not in a hurry wait till it comes back into stock in creationwatches or skywatches to avoid the $30 delivery charge.

A few have been recently posted, might as well add to it! The Seiko 5's are good quality watch and a great price imo.

454475.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭fat bloke

My everyday Seiko.

Snap - I have one of those "landsharks" and I love it, but I dunno whether it's your watch or your photo but the hands on mine are a much stronger yellow - they really pop, and the watch in real life looks waaaay better than in your photo! - Before I bought it I got the sense on the web that they weren't particularly highly regarded, but gosh I love mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

New arrival.
    Saw a few of these with plain black faces that looked a little dull but this one caught my eye. Pretty little watch with trusty ETA 2824-2 movement.
    Shown next to my Vostok for comparison (It is a good bit smaller than the Vostok).
    Might need a different strap perhaps...any suggestions?

42428389984_a6481f3a07_b.jpg

My Seiko 5 finally arrived from Amazon. Took something like 3 weeks to get here. I decided to try a leather NATO strap on it.

zmxjr7.jpg

It's a lovely watch but I'm unsure on the strap. I'll wear it with this strap for the next couple of weeks and see if it grows on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭fat bloke

0JoKLeF.png

My "Landshark". Bought as a stop gap and ended up really liking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Might seem a strange question but have you any idea of the weight of that Seiko 5? Beautifully face!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement