Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Kilkenny won't be winning All Ireland's anytime soon. Taken to the cleaners by Galway today. You can agree or disagree with me but Galway showed Kilkenny up for such an average team that they are at present. End of an era for Cody. Should have walked earlier in the season. The game has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Can't believe KK only had 2 points from play. That seems so weird

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭C__MC

Kilkenny young guns physically not ready for championship hurling. The smash and grab over Dublin papered over the cracks. I think Wexford will beat Kilkenny

C__MC wrote: »
    Kilkenny young guns physically not ready for championship hurling. The smash and grab over Dublin papered over the cracks. I think Wexford will beat Kilkenny

I think Wexford will beat Kilkenny and well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭usualstripes

mullinr2 wrote: »
    I'd put us behind
    1. Galway
    2. Tipp
    3. Limerick
    4. Cork
    5. Clare
    6. Wexford

Just desperate stuff from open play. You can't win matches with frees. Shocking and gutless
    performance.
    1 score from play in second half

I don't ever like calling kilkenny teams gutless but I have to say that was a very poor performance.
    Number 1 we were physically bullied out of the game in our half forward line and midfield and we were like boys up against men.
    Number 2 the big difference on the scoreboard was that galways forwards were out to the ball 1st, turned their men and popped over the bar. We couldn't get out fast enough and even when we did we got swamped. We got exposed in our backs but they didn't because we were poor in our pick ups and support play.
    A lot of work to do but they have 2 weeks to use this defeat to work a better performance.

Murphy. Decent and couldn't do anything for the penalty.
    Morrissey. Started well but found it tough. Joey did reasonably well when moved in.
    Padraig Walsh. Tough outing getting caught with the high ball a few times but did alright.
    Deegan. Out 2nd to the ball a lot but fought hard.
    Delaney, Buckley, murphy under a lot of pressure but coped ok.
    Maher and fogarty on a lot of ball but got overran with galways support players.
    Mossy. Chance of early goal but not fast enough to strike. A tough outing for him.
    Tj apart from placed balls poor.
    Blanchfield struggled under pressure.
    Donnelly also found it very tough with galways physicality.
    Walter the best forward we had.
    Scanlon worth his place and looked dangerous but also found the going tough.
    Fennelly made no impact on arrival. Should have scored a point on at the start of 2nd half.
    Bill Sheehan very light up against galways backs. Don't know if he dripped the hurl intentionally.

All in all a serious amount of work to do to beat wexford but I think they will step it up.
    Even with a win v wexford we could still find ourselves in the preliminary quarter final but I'm open to correction on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Rubbish Galway were only 4 points ahead of Kilkenny with 10 minutes to go and any one who says Scanlan did not have a very good game was watching another match. This was a learning curve for Morrissey, Delaney, Scanlan Donnelly and Keoghan who will learn a lot from this. As for only1-2 from play well someone had to be fouled for the another 1-12 meaning they had to have possession..

Rubbish Galway were only 4 points ahead of Kilkenny with 10 minutes to go and any one who says Scanlan did not have a very good game was watching another match. This was a learning curve for Morrissey, Delaney, Scanlan Donnelly and Keoghan who will learn a lot from this. As for only1-2 from play well someone had to be fouled for the another 1-12 meaning they had to have possession..

Still Galway were 6 points a better team than Kilkenny throughout the game today. Kilkenny were out played and second to Galway in everything today. Usually this is never the case with Kilkenny. I dont see this Kilkenny team winning an all Ireland. They have done it before in similar situations but there too many good teams around at the moment that are better than Kilkenny right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

And was home advantage not worth that 
    Amprodude wrote: »

Still Galway were 6 points a better team than Kilkenny throughout the game today. Kilkenny were out played and second to Galway in everything today. Usually this is never the case with Kilkenny. I dont see this Kilkenny team winning an all Ireland. They have done it before in similar situations but there too many good teams around at the moment that are better than Kilkenny right now.
    And was home advantage not worth at least the same 6 points and in addition was a very strong breeze helping Galway in the first half that died down in the 2nd not help them as well.

And was home advantage not worth at least the same 6 points and in addition was a very strong breeze helping Galway in the first half that died down in the 2nd not help them as well.

Less of the excuses. If Kilkenny were good enough they beat Galway anywhere in any venue. Strong breeze no breeze. It was a game of 2 halfs and Kilkenny were blitzed by the All Ireland champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bamayang

Kilkenny won't be winning All Ireland's anytime soon. Taken to the cleaners by Galway today. You can agree or disagree with me but Galway showed Kilkenny up for such an average team that they are at present. End of an era for Cody. Should have walked earlier in the season. The game has changed.

Fantastic over reaction nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I think Wexford will beat Kilkenny and well too.

I don't think Wexford are as strong down the middle of their defence as Galway are, we will be doing well to win it based on today but still think its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Even with a win v wexford we could still find ourselves in the preliminary quarter final but I'm open to correction on that.

Depends on other results.
    If Wexford beat Galway, and Galway beat Dublin and we beat Wexford, we'll more than likely be in the preliminary quarter-final because of inferior points difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

This is a learning curve. We were never winning an all Ireland this year. Physically Galway are miles ahead. The pitch was awful. Better lose now and learn. Remember different venues ahead

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I don't think Wexford are as strong down the middle of their defence as Galway are, we will be doing well to win it based on today but still think its possible.

Very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I think we were punching above our weight in terms of league win so we are are back in the pack again.

This year is all about development for me. Winning the league was a bonus. Lads can't wait for a poor performance to come on here 5mins after the game and cast all sorts on the team and individual players. Galway are the All Ireland champions and were at home. They are a mature team in terms of their physical development. We had a bad day at the office in terms of our general playing and score taking. Sometimes it just doesn't work out on the day - even Tommy Walsh and JJ had bad games. That's sport!

We'll have 2 weeks to regroup and take on Wexford. It should be a big game and we'll see what happens after that.

Very possible.

That's the spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Very possible? Home advantage will be big but Wexford's defence at present are a lot more settled than Kilkenny's. Rushe largely destroyed KK in round one but was a lot more subdued when Ryan was marking him last weekend. Ryan has the physicality too to keep Wally under wraps (who has been ye're biggest threat by a distance).

Never has a league final win, that 90% of the time is forgotten at the end of the year, papered over so much cracks in a team. I know sport is generally cyclical, and it's impossible to continue churning out ready-made stars year on year, but the current Kilkenny team are lacking true leadership. In hindsight, a smash and grab victory vs Dublin masks the problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

It was a hiding, and Galway were at about 75% which is even more worrying. Pitch was atrocious but don't think that matters when it comes to Kilkenny's 'style' of play, which is dreadfully dull.

Very possible? Home advantage will be big but Wexford's defence at present are a lot more settled than Kilkenny's. Rushe largely destroyed KK in round one but was a lot more subdued when Ryan was marking him last weekend. Ryan has the physicality too to keep Wally under wraps (who has been ye're biggest threat by a distance).

Never has a league final win, that 90% of the time is forgotten at the end of the year, papered over so much cracks in a team. I know sport is generally cyclical, and it's impossible to continue churning out ready-made stars year on year, but the current Kilkenny team are lacking true leadership. In hindsight, a smash and grab victory vs Dublin masks the problems there.

Masked problems to who exactly, we had 7 debutants against Dublin, this season is about blooding players and building a panel for the next few years, I don't know anybody in Kilkenny who thought we would be winning an all Ireland this year, Wexford will be confident coming up to Nowlan Park but in my opinion Galway are a better team than Wexford and this Kilkenny team can beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pat Treacy

When did ye last win a major trophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭brookville

I think we all agreed coming up that if we came within 6 points we'd be happy but obviously dissapointed with 1-2 from play.Our half foward line wiped out and i thought deegan held his own after a shakey start.Joey was also decent when he came on.
    Today was a huge learning curve i wouldnt be to critical because this is where we are the moment.The disallowed goal was a turning point but the right decision.we really needed more from tj but the week break will be a huge help and hopefully galway will soften the yellow bellies for us.Home advantage is proven huge for all teams.Dont forget we had it back to 3 with 15 left galway finished better.lots of work to do no point slating the lads after a defeat galway are the benchmark we know what we have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I think we were punching above our weight in terms of league win so we are are back in the pack again.

This year is all about development for me. Winning the league was a bonus. Lads can't wait for a poor performance to come on here 5mins after the game and cast all sorts on the team and individual players. Galway are the All Ireland champions and were at home. They are a mature team in terms of their physical development. We had a bad day at the office in terms of our general playing and score taking. Sometimes it just doesn't work out on the day - even Tommy Walsh and JJ had bad games. That's sport!

We'll have 2 weeks to regroup and take on Wexford. It should be a big game and we'll see what happens after that.

As I've said we do have 2 weeks to regroup and I for 1 wasn't casting all sorts on the team and individual players but just giving my view on the game and performances. Kilkenny were outhurled and outright but I do agree this is a steep learning curve for the bulk of our players. Is there an all ireland final in these guys? Maybe not but if we keep learning who knows. I think we will beat wexford and if galway beat wexford next week we will be in the leinster final v galway as our head to head with 2 teams on the same points works in our favour.
    The pitch is exactly the same size as bowman park but it was in poor order.
    Morrissey, Delaney, Leahy, mossy, Donnelly, Sheehan and Scanlon all need another spell to acclimatise but in their day they have it in them.
    It's more than likely that fennelly will start v wexford.
    Galway won't want to meet us in a leinster final that's for sure as they know we were sun standard today.

Galway won't want to meet us in a leinster final that's for sure as they know we were sun standard today.

Galway were at about 75% today and beat Kilkenny rather easy in the end. I think Kilkenny will fear a Galway team at 90%.

There was next to no breeze either way and there was no big change in it at HT.
    It was consistent throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bamayang

Did the ref kinda pull out of sending off McInerney for the shoulder on Walter? It was a late tackle late in the game, almost guaranteed yellow in most situations. Instead he gave Canning a yellow for a harmless enough flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭brookville

We won the toss and always play again the wind and we were in a good position up to the dissalowed goal.we know our fowards didnt go well scanlon was the bright spark today.lets not forget we started with 4 fowards who are only chaps there getting great experience.the weeks rest is definitely a help we know what we have to do saturday week where as wex only have a 6 day turnaround after playing galway

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Hey lads , what was our goal ruled out for, I was at the other end of the Field and couldn't see ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

castlecat wrote: »
    Hey lads , what was our goal ruled out for, I was at the other end of the Field and couldn't see ?

Sheehan dropped the hurl to handpass the ball I think, didn't see a replay yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Sheehan dropped the hurl to handpass the ball I think, didn't see a replay yet

Yes he definitely did it. Henry said it after as well if you don't believe me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Men against boys there today but the most worrying aspect is we're not even trying to hurl like we did in the latter stages of the league anymore. I realise the pressure put on by Galway forwards and midfield was light years ahead of the league but we have to stick with that instead of Murphy launching puck out after puck out down on top of a half forward line who were blew out of it.

I don't think we won a breaking ball all day and we weren't just second to every single ball we were yards behind.

Oh to have a full back like Burke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement