Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Would they not need DU to get to Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭roddney

Not if they stopped in Huesten :)

Seriously though, I don't really see the purpose of electrification at the moment on these lines, without a proper holistic approach to service (i.e. Dart Underground where lines are split into 4 proper routes).

They are Outer Commuter Lines, not Suburban, so faster start-stop electric trains aren't of that serious a benefit to justify. Also, there is an oversupply of diesel Commuter trains with between 20 and 30 years lifespan left in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

thomasj wrote: »

An utter joke of an article.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

I have been an advocate of spurs from the proposed Hazelhatch 4-track line for many years.

I think Dublin should look into the possibility of a spur to/from Tallaght as part of this project, in order to deliver a rapid line into the city along this corridor which would have a catchment of about 100,000 people.

I am also in favour of examining other potential spurs from the Hazelhatch route, to take advantage of the enormous capacity which will be available to the city’s transport network, if the DART Underground project comes about, which I hope will happen.

I would be thinking, broadly, of eventual spurs towards Lucan and up towards the Maynooth line at Clonsilla – with a possible connection there - via some of the areas of the city which are most in need of a rapid connection with the centre of the city.

Given the huge capacity of the Hazelhatch line, and the potential which it offers, other spurs might make sense.

On this board, only one person has come out with a clear position against the idea of such spurs. This person is quite pointedly against such an idea, and He/She has stated that they would only be in favour of a spur to Naas, but not to any areas within the County Dublin area. A very odd view, in my opinion, given that the highest population in the area is in County Dublin.

It has to be noted that this person was, and may still be, an owner of a property in Clonsilla. There is an obvious question as to whether this is influencing his/her position when posting on this board.

There is a fear that this poster's position might not be very objective.

If there’s a decent alternative connecting Liffey Valley or Neilstown directly with the city, via a direct route into the City Centre via the DART Underground (if it happens), then we don’t necessarily need to pay the high prices to live in Clonsilla.

But if we’re at the end of a spur line to Naas, we’re still at the end of the day living in Naas, fine and all as it may be, but not influencing house prices in County Dublin, for example in places like Clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I have been an advocate of spurs from the proposed Hazelhatch 4-track line for many years.

I think Dublin should look into the possibility of a spur to/from Tallaght as part of this project, in order to deliver a rapid line into the city along this corridor which would have a catchment of about 100,000 people.

I am also in favour of examining other potential spurs.

What alignment would a spur to Tallaght take? How would you get any sort of thru put on the main line with so many spurs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What alignment would a spur to Tallaght take? How would you get any sort of thru put on the main line with so many spurs?
    Surely the Luas Red Line can serve Tallaght sufficiently? Especially if DART Underground is built to take Kildare line traffic into the city centre and save them all having to squash onto the Luas at Heuston (I'm aware the PPT has helped here but it's not much use for intercity services or outside of peak times).

Priority after Luas to Bray, Metro and DART Underground should be some sort of rail on the R114 corridor.

I obviously don't know exactly what route it would take, but with a corridor of at least 100,000 people (Clondalkin and Tallaght, mainly) it should be a priority once the main Hazlehatch/Kildare link to the city (via DART Underground) is approved.

And there really shouldn't be any problem with throughput. You look at cities like Munich and Frankfurt, and many more, with seven or eight spurs going through a central tunnel with decent frequencies on each of those spurs.

The experience is there, so Dublin should be able to match what those cities are doing (and have been doing for decades now), and certainly only three, four or five spurs should be very manageable.

marno21 wrote: »
    Surely the Luas Red Line can serve Tallaght sufficiently? Especially if DART Underground is built to take Kildare line traffic into the city centre and save them all having to squash onto the Luas at Heuston (I'm aware the PPT has helped here but it's not much use for intercity services or outside of peak times).

Priority after Luas to Bray, Metro and DART Underground should be some sort of rail on the R114 corridor.

The Red line is okay, as things stand, but if the DART Underground is built you'd certainly want to see an improvement in the connection between Dublin and its biggest suburb. It's currently around 44 minutes, which is probably one of the longest you can find anywhere that a rail connection exists between a capital city and its largest suburb.

Given the enormous excess capacity which would be available along a Hazelhatch - Dart Underground route, if it is built, the Clondalkin-Tallaght corridor would then be one which would yield an obvious, immediate improvement for many people.

Eventually Dublin should certainly be aiming at around an 15- to 20-minute connection between the centre and its largest suburb.

I obviously don't know exactly what route it would take, but with a corridor of at least 100,000 people (Clondalkin and Tallaght, mainly) it should be a priority once the main Hazlehatch/Kildare link to the city (via DART Underground) is approved.

This is pure dreamland stuff. We've areas with no service and your considering a DART to Tallaght. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This is pure dreamland stuff. We've areas with no service and your considering a DART to Tallaght. :rolleyes:
    Yep. I'm the poster he's going on about by the way.

He talks as if we already have the core component-the tunnel. Of course we don't and to be honest if we ever can justify a spur to Tallaght it will be a long way off because as you say there are far too many areas with no rail service that should be prioritised.

We do have 3 or 4 obvious orbital corridors in the M50, R113, R116 and perhaps the R120 that could take high frequency bus routes and feed vastly more people in to the Kildare Route (which was always why I was and remain against any spurs at this time) than a spur to Tallaght that would STILL need bus feed in to be useful as anyone who knows Tallaght knows it's a long walk from its outer estates to the Square!

Use the big money to build the missing spines and feed in with buses. When all the spines are done you can look at spurs all you want. I'll be long dead when the spines are done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Is it pie in the sky to imagine DART services on the Maynooth and Parkway lines that terminate at a slightly upgraded Broombridge (ie. a turnaround)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This is Maynooth line, could easily proceed with out DU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Complete agreement , for a suburb with 100+k population their transport options is shocking and could do with an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

One parish pump Fianna Failer mentions this and we're all drooling like Pavlovs dog. Surely we cynical boardsies know better than that.

pie-in-the-sky.jpg

Complete agreement , for a suburb with 100+k population their transport options is shocking and could do with an upgrade.

No one is denying that they could do with an upgrade but in Dublin terms alone they are behind the entire of the north of the county barring the Dart line belt, the majority of the west of the country, parts of south and all the commuter counties.

Nationally its even further behind with Cork and Galway projects required

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Once again visiting another European city and using its underground/metro makes me realise how poor Dublin is and how good it could be with some political will and good city planning. All we are asking for (initially at least) is metro north and Dart underground. Not the amazing integrated systems like on the continent but a start....

D.L.R. wrote:
    One parish pump Fianna Failer mentions this and we're all drooling like Pavlovs dog. Surely we cynical boardsies know better than that.

But he hasn't asked for it all he has done is asked for information.

I'd like to think that given that maynooth line has been through the design process 10 times over maybe we won't be back at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Have the NTA even have any real plans or proposals in place to implement this new service yet; Also do they have to redraw the plans again even though they have a lot of the groundwork for DU already in place from before?

If the NTA did approve an extension for the DART to Maynooth; how long would it take to get it implemented in the present day?

Also do they have to redraw the plans again even though they have a lot of the groundwork for DU already in place from before?

They have done that for the last 20 years or so

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Current funding for the DART Expansion programme is as follows.

1. Redesign of the DART Underground tunnel
    2. Advance works & planning on DART Expansion to Balbriggan, which at present is programmed for work to begin in 2020.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote:
    Current funding for the DART Expansion programme is as follows.

marno21 wrote:
    1. Redesign of the DART Underground tunnel 2. Advance works & planning on DART Expansion to Balbriggan, which at present is programmed for work to begin in 2020.

Aren't they supposed to announce a review of this in the coming months?

This is Ireland everything is in perpetual review

I haven't heard but likely so. The redesign of the tunnel has been ongoing for quite some time.

Perhaps when they get it done we might get a reason as to why. I can't see any issue with the existing tunnel plans other than that it costs money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't get the expansion to Balbriggan instead of Maynooth - there's a whole bunch of good operational reasons to use Maynooth.

1) a siding available just to the west of Maynooth (none for Balbriggan)

2) existing dart trains can handle the max speed on the line between Maynooth and Connolly

3) Some trains have to go all back to Drogheda currently for maintenance and stabling. If they were dart, Fairview would suffice. It's not a big deal for Northern Commuter as they finish in Drogheda anyway, but it's a big wastage for Western Commuter services.

4) It wouldn't slow down Sligo services to any significant extent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I don't get the expansion to Balbriggan instead of Maynooth - there's a whole bunch of good operational reasons to use Maynooth.

It is about 26 km Connolly to Maynooth and 20 km to Balbriggan from Malahide.

I would have thought the catchment population for the Maynooth expansion would be significantly greater than the Balbriggan one.

Also the DU tunnel would open up the west side of Dublin as well, if the Dart was then taken to Hazlehatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It is about 26 km Connolly to Maynooth and 20 km to Balbriggan from Malahide.

I would have thought the catchment population for the Maynooth expansion would be significantly greater than the Balbriggan one.

Also the DU tunnel would open up the west side of Dublin as well, if the Dart was then taken to Hazlehatch.
    That 20km does come on top of the existing dart route, and such an expansion will certainly slow down journey times for enterprise users and perhaps Louth/Meath commuters also.

That 20km does come on top of the existing dart route, and such an expansion will certainly slow down journey times for enterprise users and perhaps Louth/Meath commuters also.

Plus it gives the herrings and mackerel in the Irish sea more options of getting into town.

The Maynooth expansion is obviously much the best option. Apart from all the journey generators, there is plenty of land for housing. A few level crossings to grade separate and a bit of overhead wire and they are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-rail-plans-move-to-electrichybrid-fleet-35892464.html

IE saying their preference is DART to Maynooth first, before Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The problem I imagine is that a line towards Maynooth would be too successful. The junctions and platforms near the city centre would quickly become congested and services on other lines would have to be curtailed.

There is little enough point in doing these projects until there is somewhere for these trains to go when they reach the city, i.e. A grade separated junction leading to an east-west tunnel.

• Advertisement

Could they not use Docklands Station as a terminus?

Maynooth - Docklands; keeps away from Northern Line
    Maynooth - Connolly; use platform 4
    Maynooth - GCD. turn around already there.
    Maynooth - DL. turn around already there.

A bit of thought might end in a good service. Connection from Dockland to the Red Line Luas might be an idea.

Advertisement