Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Ariel view of the kilcloghans flyover and the mountpotter and Burke roundabouts2017-05-23_09-19-11_zpsfyayodkl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

What is a Tractor run and its purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

sad day; the circus is leaving town...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I suppose its just lads with shiny tractors showing them off to other lads with shiny tractors, and rather than sit in a field looking at them (which also happens), go for a spin .

Here they got a spin on the motorway which will be out of bounds for most tractors when its opened, so another reason.

The m17 at castlelambert looking towards tuam 24 kms 24/05/17IMAG3558_zpsgvbfxqmz.jpgcastlelambert looking towards rathmorrisy 1.5kmsIMAG3557_zpsttuye4rf.jpgthe m17 25.5kms roadbridge/sisk have now done 24.5kms of the jersey barrier and they have also 15kms of the wearing course done on the southbound lane as of the 24/05/17

• Advertisement

sad day; the circus is leaving town...

All good things must come to an end,they have done unreal work over the past 28 months all that roadbridge have left to do is the last 11kms of the wearing course on the northbound lane of the m17 and the burke roundabout

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

As always, great pictures by M17!

Great to see the line painting underway on the Sisk section at Annagh Hill - of course, the Roadbridge section of the M17 is even further on regarding same.

The Tuam Bypass - if that doesn't open on the bank holiday weekend, I'll eat my hat (well cap actually! :D). I mean, if the bypass isn't a complete road, I don't know what is - maybe they're going to line it with gold if it doesn't open.

Regarding the M17 - I can't see that taking to November unless the weather takes a turn for the worse in very dramatic fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

m17 wrote: »
    It should take you about 18 mins it all depends on what time your leaving at ,annagh hill to rathmorissy 11kms at 120kmph,slip road/roundabout/slip road 2.5kms at 60kph,m6 to junction19 7kms at 120kmph,n6 3.5kms at 100kmph
    in a similar vein, Gort to north of Tuam !
    According to Google maps , when you adjust the day and time, it can take up to 1h 25 min for the journey.

If you work it out for the new road, for 53.2km of motorway @120kmh its 26.5 minutes. Theres 4.2km of 2+2 so another 2 1/2 min.
    All in all, that's 29 minutes from Gort to north of Tuam on the motorway compared to 1h 25 on a bad day with the old road.

Realistically, with a heavy foot, you'd be sub 25min from Gort to Tuam, so essentially an hour of your life saved by the new road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

m17 wrote: »
    All good things must come to an end,they have done unreal work over the past 28 months all that roadbridge have left to do is the last 11kms of the wearing course on the northbound lane of the m17 and the burke roundabout

...and of course, Tuam will have a bypass at the end of it - it's not like a factory closing down where there's nothing left but a decaying empty building.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

25 minutes from Gort to Tuam. Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

I suppose its just lads with shiny tractors showing them off to other lads with shiny tractors, and rather than sit in a field looking at them (which also happens), go for a spin .

Here they got a spin on the motorway which will be out of bounds for most tractors when its opened, so another reason.

They also pay an entry fee of €10 which goes to charity

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

It's normally a way of making money for some charity or good cause. People pay an entry fee to drive in the run. Anything from vintage right uk to the biggest modern ones can be seen. They are organised and have permission from the local Gardaí if on a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭ratracer

There is a charity cycle from Tuam - Gort - Tuam pencilled on for Sept 10th. I would presume the whole route would have to very near finished ( at least the surface would) before this would be allowed to go ahead.

RATHMORISSY 22/11/152017-05-19_08-48-49_zpstxkmgauu.jpg24/05/17IMAG3225_zpsvu4ejp5x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

in a similar vein, Gort to north of Tuam !
    According to Google maps , when you adjust the day and time, it can take up to 1h 25 min for the journey.

If you work it out for the new road, for 53.2km of motorway @120kmh its 26.5 minutes. Theres 4.2km of 2+2 so another 2 1/2 min.
    All in all, that's 29 minutes from Gort to north of Tuam on the motorway compared to 1h 25 on a bad day with the old road.

Realistically, with a heavy foot, you'd be sub 25min from Gort to Tuam, so essentially an hour of your life saved by the new road.

It'll take a nice chunk out of a Limerick <-> Sligo drive that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

ratracer wrote: »
    There is a charity cycle from Tuam - Gort - Tuam pencilled on for Sept 10th. I would presume the whole route would have to very near finished ( at least the surface would) before this would be allowed to go ahead.

Any info on this as i cant find anything on google!. I had heard a suggestion this months ago as a n idea but never heard anymore. Would be a nice cycle to do:)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Looking at progress at the Kilmore roundabout this past week passing it daily, it looks like resources have been moved elsewhere and progress is now much slower making a June Bank Holiday opening sadly looking alot less likely in my view :-(
    There is sill signs, road markings, paving bricks and some kerbing and tarmac still to be repaired / finished.
    I have a feeling they wont open the by pass now until the burke road roundabout is finished and all junctions leading to it and there is alot more work to do there yet.

Hi there, just wondering how long Oranmore to Limerick will take with the new motorway? And also where is the nearest location to get onto motorway from Oranmore?

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭ratracer

ELCAT2009 wrote: »
    Any info on this as i cant find anything on google!. I had heard a suggestion this months ago as a n idea but never heard anymore. Would be a nice cycle to do:)

I think it's Tuam Cycling Club organising it for Galway hospice. I'll know more in a week or so, I got the info from a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

Newrecruit wrote: »
    Hi there, just wondering how long Oranmore to Limerick will take with the new motorway? And also where is the nearest location to get onto motorway from Oranmore?

Thanks all

From Oranmore - M6 to Rathmorrissy then southbound on M18 to Limerick

• Advertisement

Thanks joedomvince. Is it not possible to get onto motoway near clarinbridge/kilcolgan/kiltiernan? Seems a bit long to go onto M6 eastbound to go southbound?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It will be faster from Oranmore to use the existing N18 and join the motorway at Kilternan. The reduction in traffic and the 100km/h limit as far as Kilcolgan will make the journey easier.

Only thing to slow you down is the level crossings.

Thanks marno21, have you any idea how long that Journey Oranmore to Limerick will be when new motorway opens?

Thanks again.

The m17 part one 25/05/17 castlelambert looking towards rathmorrisyIMAG3557_zps7zcddwzn.jpgcastlelambert looking towards tuamIMAG3474_zpsaeyxfgf1.jpgcartymore looking towards rathmorrisyIMAG3284_zpsnwokyw9c.jpgcartymore looking towards tuamIMAG3508_zpsd78cth8q.jpgSheeaunpark looking towards rathmorrisyIMAG3496_zps0fpnt7b6.jpgSheeaunpark looking towards tuamIMAG3495_zpsegs5qwn0.jpgkilseagh looking towards rathmorrisyIMAG3562_zpsnlnhklq8.jpgkilseagh looking towards tuamIMAG3561_zpspzbjup8o.jpglaraghmore looking towards rathmorrisyIMAG3563_zpsjihtuele.jpglaraghmore looking towards tuamIMAG3564_zpsaf7zk5gf.jpgannagh hill looking towards rathmorrisyIMAG3565_zpsfkfbfmw5.jpgannagh hill looking towards tuamIMAG3566_zpsdvw8ew6y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Haven't looked at this thread for ages all looks great! Roll on the N17/M17 DC all the more reason for a greenway on the closed railway!

The m17 part two 25/05/17 brockagh looking towards rathmorrisyIMAG3567_zpsmwzkeekd.jpgbrockagh looking towards tuamIMAG3479_zpsts4k6v0s.jpgBauilphuil looking towards rathmorrisyIMAG3569_zpscwwwrrlx.jpgBauilphuil looking towards tuamIMAG3570_zpsveglrods.jpgcloondarone looking towards rathmorrisyIMAG3571_zpsrjxifijy.jpgcloondarone looking towards tuamIMAG3572_zps1yvf7vwo.jpgkilleelaun looking towards rathmorrisyIMAG3573_zpsjgknl5yd.jpgkilleelaun looking towards tuamIMAG3574_zpshaowq78u.jpgthe kilmore roundaboutIMAG3575_zpssux2dsfo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

dubhthach wrote: »
    It'll take a nice chunk out of a Limerick <-> Sligo drive that's for sure

A good 35 mins at least, the road really is that bad. Used to drive that route alot would take 2h55 to Sligo from Limerick normally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

ratracer wrote: »

Would sure be nice to cycle it before it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

marno21 wrote: »
    It will be faster from Oranmore to use the existing N18 and join the motorway at Kilternan. The reduction in traffic and the 100km/h limit as far as Kilcolgan will make the journey easier.

Where will you meet a level crossing from Oranmore to Kilternan on N18??:confused:
    Assuming you start in Oranmore village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

marno21 wrote: »

Bet they'll crack in traffic calming in clarinbridge and kilcolgan and enforce it to slow things down further. I know they are there now , but I 'd say it'll be much more architecture and enforcement

Advertisement