Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Dublin City Gazette says New Metro North hopes derailed by Shane Ross https://issuu.com/robheigh/docs/dublincityfeb2?utm_source=2017W5_subscribers&utm_campaign=Digest&utm_medium=email qoutes him as saying little hope of accelerating due to amount of planning work that needs to be done.
    just another reason to go with original scheme ... rugby World Cup for 2033 announced in November. Farcical we most likely won't even have a rail connection to a 40,000,000 plus I expect airport at that stage ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We'll have no issue hosting the world cup. New Zealand could host it alone ffs. And they don't have roads.

"Too much planning had to be done"... This is by far the best reason ever for not doing something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ross could be the worst transport minister I've seen in a long time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Peregrine wrote: »
    Ross could is be the worst transport minister I've seen in a long time.

Fixed that.

Not sure how he could be any worse. Has no idea what's going on in his department, has done nothing in the last year, 2.6bn more available for capital investment that he apparently has no interest in securing, major transport difficulties in the capital, Cork, and Galway that he has no interest in sorting, road deaths on the rise etc.

He has done NOTHING since coming into the position bar take a few holidays and give out to Robert Troy and the likes for not attending meetings. He has presided over a record low number of projects in planning/starting whilst the transport situation gets worse. Total incompetence. With Brexit and cheap money now is a great time to move forward and modernise but no, that'd be progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

Original MN has planning permission until 2021.
    They should just scrap the 'new' MN and go with the original, saves time and don't have to go through the public consultation and planning processes all over again. Absolute no-brainer.

• Advertisement

The way this has been handled. Has been a sham from start to finish. But given the way it's played out. It's becoming more and more obvious, even to those morons surely. That going with the original scheme is the only sensible option now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Deedsie wrote: »
    Surprised no one has sent a letter to the Irish Times about it. Handy one for Fine Gael to hang Minister Ross out to dry.

What's the point. As Pink Floyd once said
    "All in all he's just another brick in the wall" . A wall on failure going back to the 70's

Was considering a separate thread for this but decided against it.
    The National Transport Authority (NTA) is looking at extending the proposed Metro North system, planned to run between Swords and St Stephen's Green via Dublin Airport, to take in the Luas Green Line to Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Was considering a separate thread for this but decided against it.
    The National Transport Authority (NTA) is looking at extending the proposed Metro North system, planned to run between Swords and St Stephen's Green via Dublin Airport, to take in the Luas Green Line to Sandyford.
    What does this mean?

Luas (light rail) all the way to Swords?

Or closing down the Luas line and making it like Metro North (heavy rail)?  I really hope it is not the former......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Bray Head wrote: »
    What does this mean?

Or closing down the Luas line and making it like Metro North (heavy rail)?  I really hope it is not the former......

I think it means MN is standard gauge so it can use the track from Ranalagh to Sandyford. The tunnel from SSG to Ranalagh would be underground. It gives the option for the green route to be diverted/extended east or west at the canal (unlikely).

Can the overhead Luas wires power the larger MN vehicles?

I would prefer that MN was Dart compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

We'll have no issue hosting the world cup. New Zealand could host it alone ffs. And they don't have roads.

"Too much planning had to be done"... This is by far the best reason ever for not doing something.
    A European rugby world cup attracts a lot more visitors than a southern hemisphere one it seems. The last one in NZ attracted 133,000 visitors whereas the last one in England and Wales attracted 406,000 who stayed on avg. 14 days, generating 2.3 billion in economic activity. And that excludes the UK residents who might travel over here obviously.

And whatever about Shane Ross, I feel unless it was going through his constituency he would always be luke warm about it, I can't understand why north Dublin TDs seem to be so passive about the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Idbatterim wrote: »
    just another reason to go with original scheme ... rugby World Cup for 2033 announced in November. Farcical we most likely won't even have a rail connection to a 40,000,000 plus I expect airport at that stage ...

RWC is in 2023 - we definitely won't have a connection to the airport.

Yeah I meant 2023. They could have original metro north in place by then if they were in any way bothered...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

Bray Head wrote: »
    What does this mean?

There's nothing much new in that article regarding the very long term plans envisaged for Metro North from the outset. Metro North has always been light rail with future connection to the Luas green line always anticipated. The original off-street sections of the green line were built to metro loading gauge* standards and the turnback/loop section at the St Stephen's Green end in the Metro North railway order allows for future continuation of the tunnel without interruption of services to emerge further south and join with the existing green line somewhere north of Ranelagh.

Metro North vehicles would essentially look like very long Luas trams. However, on a joined up Metro North/Green line route, they would be operating at higher average speeds on entirely off-street, segregated lines (with as few level crossings as possible, political cost-cutting allowing).

So yes, Metro, not Luas. Heavy rail/DART would be a completely different proposal from an engineering and delivered service perspective.

*Note Luas red line and Luas green line (and Metro North) have the same track gauge. This allows the current tram inventory to be moved from one line to the other when required, contrary to popular urban myth. But they have different loading gauges. Metro vehicles would not be able to use the red line (and possibly not the Green line section south of Sandyford - I'm uncertain if the metro loading gauge was maintained on that extension). The extensive on-street sections of the Red Line really preclude Metro type services anyway so it made no sense to enforce the wider bends and wider gap between tracks of the metro loading gauge and just take up more street space doing so for no future benefit.

http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/northsidewest/articles/2017/02/06/4134318-hopes-of-an--earlier-metro-north-dashed/

Deptment of transport say it's unpossible to start MN in 2019.
    Unfortunately, there is little scope to accelerate the project and sadly not by the two years mentioned in recent reports,” a spokesperson said.

“At present, we are looking at construction commencing in 2021 and it would not be possible to accelerate that to 2019 in view of the significant body of work that must be done in terms of planning and the timeframes required for consultation before construction can commence.”

I believe they need the extra 2 years to figure out how to deliver a high speed metro that will also run at street level through a residential area :rolleyes:

I cant wait for the meeting and public consultations, Ill be going there on the attack. They've gone beyond with the incompetence / piss taking... This applies to MN and DU...

This is taken from the EIS of original MN. Outlines the difficulties of overground running in Ballymun on page 9.

http://www.nra.ie/tii-library/railway-orders/eis-metro-north/EIS%20Metro%20North%20Non-Technical%20Summary.pdf

They will be forced to go for cut and cover in Ballymun, the residents objected to surface running before, and I would say that they will again.

The public consultation for this will be interesting alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

More years of redesigning and consultations.......then another excuse will appear and we'll have more years of redesigning and consultations. Meanwhile.....

its so hilarious, the slightest bad news they can jettison it and propose metro inferior, what about the endless good news you keep delivering FG, or does it not work that way? projects can only be downgraded given half a chance?!

I could drag up the post , I said it last November, those f**cking cowards, should have said it was the right project, just not the right time to proceed (for them politically). Before DU pp lapsed and I mean well before (because it was far more time sensitive than MN planning wise), a very quick review should have taken place, to see if any of the proposed cost reductions (see the government say that as if its a good thing, to get the public to buy it, value for money, you see) :rolleyes: Id be calling it hmmmm, "project compromising or dimishing"....

The most important thing is that the sham proposal to connect to the airport via the massive long luas route was ruled out. I was delighted when I heard that. That's the door shut in their face on that. Next thing, simply sit back and wait for the higher growth than expected, which will force MNR back to MN original scheme spec i.e. 90m platforms etc.

To us its obvious at this stage, that the new project is worse value for money, never mind all of the other issues not going with original metro superior gave us. Notably it has planning up to 2023!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I don't want to annoy people with design changes, but this is what I'd do...

A. Get on with the DART Inter-connector, Kildare Route Project (Phase 2), DART Extensions to Maynooth and Hazelhatch (No delays - start procurement now);

B. Devise a new Metro Scheme to link up all of the city's universities as well as the two main central shopping areas - Initial phase would include 11 stations -

1. UCD Belfield
    2. Donnybrook
    3. Herbert
    4. Wilton
    5. Grafton (escalator links to Stephen's Green DART Station & Trinity)
    6. Jervis
    7. Grangegorman
    8. Botanic (link to new Phibsboro Junction Station (DART and Docklands Spur))
    9. DCU
    10. Griffith
    11. Ballymun

Spec - Light Rail twin bore tunnel with stations consisting of 120m screened platforms accessed from street level by escalators and lifts.

C. North City Rail Tunnel - North of Clontarf Road to Coolock Junction (surface station north of former N32) - Surface mainline link from Coolock Junction to Malahide (including Enterprise and Northern Commuter) - surface DART Link to Airport. Due to the use of diesel trains, no stations can be constructed underground between Clontarf Road and Coolock Junction - however, such a link would allow a full upgrade of the current northern DART Line to metro standard with trains every 6-8 minutes each way. DART trains to airport every 6-8 minutes each way to utilise DART Inter-connector Tunnel to as far as Inchicore. Both the northern and airport DART services would combine to give a service headway of 3-4 minutes each way under the south city centre. Concentrations of higher rise developments must take precedence in the vicinity of some existing northside DART stations as well as existing stations along the Kildare Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Frustrated at the laughable situation we find ourselves in (Dublin Airport Passengers 19% above 2008 levels, Fingal County fastest growing County in Ireland, and a 30-40% reduction in capacity in the newly proposed Metro North Project), I have created a Facebook Page and Petition.

To find this, just search "MetroNorthDublin" on Facebook, and like, share, and sign the petition linked. I have seen others in the past hear mention such publicity stunts are required, but I haven't seen any created.

Please don't think I am naive enough to think this will change anything, but it might get more visibility to the blatant bull being shared by some media outlets.

Please don't think I am naive enough to think this will change anything, but it might get more visibility to the blatant bull being shared by some media outlets.

The media seem to be complicit with the government in this sham. Fair play to you! The only way they ever do something here is when there is a crisis or they are shamed into it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Will this proposed extension to Sandyford defeat the purpose of it being called MN in the first place?

The original MN PP should be the plan that has interpreted here as the way to go for a long time since the process had already started.

But no; it seems like living in a country like Ireland does leave us being short changed for trying to get anything done to help it's long term progress.

in hindsight calling it metro north was a bad idea "shure what a european capital of over a 1,000,000 need a fancy metro for"? :rolleyes: Call it luas north, if we arent going to get the original scheme, Id call it luas north... Probably a far easier sell to the ignorant, media etc...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The media seem to be complicit with the government in this sham. Fair play to you! The only way they ever do something here is when there is a crisis or they are shamed into it...

Totally agree, I am open to correction, but in all the articles in the media about MN since they announced that it was to be redesigned, I have not found one that's says that they need planning permission again and that the 'new' MN will result in a huge reduction in capacity and longer journey times.

Totally agree, I am open to correction, but in all the articles in the media about MN since they announced that it was to be redesigned, I have not found one that's says that they need planning permission again and that the 'new' MN will result in a huge reduction in capacity and longer journey times.

They dont have a clue about the project to be honest, which is a disgrace. If someone or several of us here, could piece together a proper piece on the history of this scheme, the absolute joke of some of the cost savings, the political opportunism. It could be submitted to the papers and ask why isnt this being questioned. I think the work would have to be done for them, because they simply dont have a clue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Logue no2

It was always the intention to convert the green line to metro, this isn't news.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Logue no2 wrote: »
    It was always the intention to convert the green line to metro, this isn't news.
    It is to these journalists with their 5 minute attention spans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It also deflects the attention away from the continued kicking the can down the road and the lack of ambition to actually build these projects within a respectable timeframe and to the right standard (capacity and running time wise).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement