Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm guessing the 39-35 age group would not be until around late June now? Have they released any sort of estimate timeline at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I think people are a bit overly fixated on the 80% by end of June target. Even if it is missed, we will only be a period of a few days from passing it anyway given the rate of vaccination going on.

90% efficient doesn't mean you have only a 10% chance of ending up in hospital.

I understand it to be 10% of your normal chance of ending up in hospital with it and am good with that

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm guessing the 39-35 age group would not be until around late June now? Have they released any sort of estimate timeline at all?
    You can guess at it - Over 50s done by mid-June, then a decent chunk of the over 40s by the end of June. The 35-39 group should register after June BH with shots starting near the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    It gets slower now because all the people who got Pfizer and Modena in the May ramp up need second doses in June.(assuming we continue at the 250-300k rate)

Supply increases to ~310k-315k mRNA doses weekly in June. We should be able to use 170k-200k as first doses. However we are due to give ~150k second doses of AZ to young healthcare workers who might be given mRNA instead.

On that basis it will be the middle of July before we hit 80%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

is_that_so wrote: »
    You can guess at it - Over 50s done by mid-June, then a decent chunk of the over 40s by the end of June. The 35-39 group should register after June BH with shots starting near the end of the month.

Thanks for the guess at it. You think they'd be registering that early (after Bank Holiday) in the month for 35-39?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Corholio wrote: »
    Thanks for the guess at it. You think they'd be registering that early (after Bank Holiday) in the month for 35-39?
    Based on the progress so far it seems about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

eoinbn wrote: »
    Supply increases to ~310k-315k mRNA doses weekly in June. We should be able to use 170k-200k as first doses. However we are due to give ~150k second doses of AZ to young healthcare workers who might be given mRNA instead.

On that basis it will be the middle of July before we hit 80%.

They're still giving AZ as dose 2 regardless of age.

Friend of mine, 27 year old nurse got an apointment yesterday for an MVC next week, AZ dose 2. 12 weeks after first, didn't expect it until 16 weeks but NIAC advice changed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yes there's a large misunderstanding really when the word effective is used.

I don't think most of the public really understand what is meant by efficency of the vaccine but that's the fault of the reporting on such.

And we have another page spent on a misunderstanding of what the study says :)

Really, the only conclusion that can be made from the study is that following the dosing schedule of AZ and Pfizer gives a fantastic response to different variants of SARS-COV2, there just isn't the data to say anything else (and the data reported doesn't control for when a vaccine was given, how many weeks from 1st dose there were effects, what the symptoms of those infected were etc.). Given these are 2 dose vaccines there will not be data on what happens if the 2nd dose isn't taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 suttonboi1

Been out of the loop on this thread over the past week, but do we have any indication of total vaccinated at this stage, and make up of first, second and one dose shots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

How are the vaccines allocated? Is it a case of whatever lands at Dublin Airport is simply shipped around the country? I'm asking as yesterday I received Pfizer at a Vaccination centre and only a few weeks back some workmates got AZ at the same one?
    Just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Fann Linn wrote: »
    How are the vaccines allocated? Is it a case of whatever lands at Dublin Airport is simply shipped around the country? I'm asking as yesterday I received Pfizer at a Vaccination centre and only a few weeks back some workmates got AZ at the same one?
    Just curious!

It’s a logistics exercise based on what’s available and what’s needed. So 4 weeks after your Pfizer jab Pfizer needs to be available from the same place. Then that day they will administer more Pfizer first jabs so another 4 weeks that needs to get more etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Goldengirl wrote: »
    If that was the case they should ask the whole population to register within a week ?! :)

It's about managing supplies and appointment dates , with some degree of organisation and least wait from registration as possible
    Large numbers in 40 to 49 year age group.
    They are probably learning from the delays that occurred with the older age groups also which is as it should be .

It's still just a queue. Whether you've registered them online and have the data or don't is somewhat irrelevant. They'll have to wait until they're called one way or the other.

I can appreciate slowing it to avoid the IT systems overloading, but it's all cloud based so it's also sort of irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Micky 32 wrote: »
    This sounds like incredibly good news - is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Is there any talk of opening the vaccine portal for the rest of the 40s yet? I'm eagerly awaiting mine but need them to open the 35 to 39 age group first. So interested to see will I have my 1st dose by the end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

HSE indicates people in 40s will not get AstraZeneca or Janssen vaccines, The Irish Times reports here.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

JTMan wrote: »
    HSE indicates people in 40s will not get AstraZeneca or Janssen vaccines, The Irish Times reports here.

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

JTMan wrote: »

I don't know why we have to make this so complicated. Let the people decide, all adults, if they want to opt in for AZ or Janssen like in Germany and Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

JTMan wrote:
    HSE indicates people in 40s will not get AstraZeneca or Janssen vaccines, The Irish Times reports

It's unlikely anyone will be getting AZ except if they have already had a first dose of it. J&J delivery is way down so unlikely to be offered to under 50s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

so i am 40 and i am wondering will i get just the 1 dose or will i be brought back 12 weeks later for a second one?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Teothican wrote: »
    so i am 40 and i am wondering will i get just the 1 dose or will i be brought back 12 weeks later for a second one?

Depends on what vaccine you get !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Almost certainly 2 doses 4 weeks apart

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It’s looking likely that you’ll be offered Pfizer or Moderna with the second dose 4 weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

hmmm wrote: »
    This sounds like incredibly good news - is it?

I really hope so, i’m losing faith by the day that vaccines will bring us out of this awful horrible situation :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I really hope so, i’m losing faith by the day that vaccines will bring us out of this awful horrible situation :o
    There isn't a single variant the vaccines can't cope with, we're in a great place. The only concern appears to be that we let our guard down before enough people are vaccinated, and there is a big surge in infection in unvaccinated groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

It is good news , M
    Just saying on the other thread about the effect of T Cells being ignored in these studies.
    Even with some with just one dose so far healthcare workers infections have gone through the floor so T Cell immunity must be playing a part there .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

hmmm wrote:
    There isn't a single variant the vaccines can't cope with, we're in a great place. The only concern appears to be that we let our guard down before enough people are vaccinated, and there is a big surge in infection in unvaccinated groups.

Id love to see stats for J&J. I wonder will a 2nd dose be required for the India strain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Id love to see stats for J&J. I wonder will a 2nd dose be required for the India strain

Or a Pfizer booster ?

• Advertisement

I think t cells are very important for short/long term immunity.

Antibodies are merely a by product of t-cell immunity.

I'd imagine one dose of any vaccine will avoid majority of serious illnesses for average Joe & Mary.

The reason this virus is dangerous to our species is that its novel.

Vaccination means its no longer novel to your body.

Once your vaccinated and a month has passed the chance of you going to hospital is probably miniscule unless your very vulnerable (vulnerable people die of the flu each year).

I dont't always agree with Philip Nolan, but he kind of said the above with comparing vaccines this week.

All vaccines do what we want them to do, avoid serious illness. I agree with him.

All currently approved vaccines will likely stop you going to hospital (one dose or two).

All offer good individual protection in the first instance.

Variants and transmission is a work in progress for all available vaccines.

You also wonder at the quality of this data re: indian variant in UK first dose/second dose debate.

Someone could have been infected two weeks after first pfzier or astra.

Your obviously going to be more protected after two doses of a vaccine than up to say a few weeks after first vaccine.

Your immunity is more mature.

Are they excluding people infected who were only vaxxed a few weeks with their first dose in the data?

Israel data said these lads (people post first vax 0 to 3 weeks) were twice as likely to be infected because they naturally let their guard down ever so slightly.

Everyone knows these guys have next to no immunity.

Advertisement