Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Hi Tony,

I have all my channels organized to my personnel preference. I am on a Mac and cannot utilize the Ariva Editor Tool as this software is only PC compatible but would like to keep my existing channel list.

If I backup my DumpFile.abs before upgrading to V2.17B, is it possible to load this saved dumpfile to the newly loaded firmware without the editor tool ?
    Tony wrote: »
    Sorry no as the dumpfile is a firmware file so you will simply revert to the previous version. Why do you wish to upgrade ?

He can back up the channel list on it's own, then upload that to the box once you have upgraded the firmware. No need for the Ariva Editor at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

NUTZZ wrote: »
    He can back up the channel list on it's own, then upload that to the box once you have upgraded the firmware. No need for the Ariva Editor at all!

That has caused problems in the past between 2.14 and 2.15 so I don't recommend it . there is a way to do it with the editor but thats not an option as mentioned.

Thanks to darth maul for the original idea here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72892011

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

That has caused problems in the past between 2.14 and 2.15 so I don't recommend it . there is a way to do it with the editor but thats not an option as mentioned.

I know it's not recommended by Ferguson, but for what it's worth I've done it many times on a few boxes with no problems.

Only other option to the poster is possibly to use Parallels or Bootcamp and install Windows on the Mac or just use a friends laptop for the few minutes that it takes!

I know it's not recommended by Ferguson, but for what it's worth I've done it many times on a few boxes with no problems.

Fair enough, i've not tried this myself (for obvious reasons :) )

Fair enough, i've not tried this myself (for obvious reasons :) )

That's the one thing I love about this receiver, it's cheap enough to warrant experimentation! :pac:

• Advertisement

That's the one thing I love about this receiver, it's cheap enough to warrant experimentation! :pac:

Yep on one maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭dodzy

Why do you wish to upgrade ?
    surely the new firmware is better? I mean, it's a bigger number.....it's gotta be better, right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TheCeltictiger

Hi Tony,

While I am very happy with this combi box,

I find that I get the occasional system hang when viewing some of the HD channels. This might happen once or twice a week. I have to do a reboot to resolve.

I am also hoping that a firmware would help with some EPG issues, i.e some of the Sat channels do not give EPG info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hi guys, just wondering if there is a patch available for a 7 day epg for the sat channels yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Not likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

excollier wrote: »
    Not likely.
    Not likely eh, so basically you don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TheCeltictiger

Hi Nutzz, can you explain how to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Ok then, some linux receivers can do the 7 day freesat epg, and allegedly the new Walker HD satellite receiver can do it.
    The Ariva 120 can't, and it is most unlikely to in the future. The likes of Technomate, who are well supported with patches for years, can't do it....
    So no, I don't know, but I don't think it will. Read through the threads, and you will probably come to the same conclusion.

wow thats a cool way to get a favourable response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Anso2005

Could somebody of you help the real beginner use the gifting features of ariva combo 220? plssss. The only one thing I managed to do was the installation of 2.17b patch. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Anso2005 wrote: »
    Could somebody of you help the real beginner use the gifting features of ariva combo 220? plssss. The only one thing I managed to do was the installation of 2.17b patch. :confused:
    Loading patched firmware to the 220 has only one benefit & discussions on that topic is not allowed on this site, however there are many other sites which cover the topics you are interested in...I'm making no judgement on your interest in this BTW.

Welcome to boards. The is thread is specificially for the 120 model, perhaps you could post in another thread or start a new one.

Anso2005 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

Have this piece of kit a few weeks and can see its attractions. As a zapper box for mixing the UK Sat channels and saorview in any order of choice it's particularly good. I found the SD pics a bit soft but everything else top notch including quick channel change etc. My problem is the issue with not having RTE Jn and RTE+1 available without having to retune daily. If you have kids in the family this is an issue or if you want to set one up for an elderly relative etc. I think this is a major flaw and is being glossed over because of the current minority nature of the timeshare channels. Anybody any views on whether or not this is major flaw like in the picknick boxes or something that people can live with?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shannon_Gaels

Have this piece of kit a few weeks and can see its attractions. As a zapper box for mixing the UK Sat channels and saorview in any order of choice it's particularly good. I found the SD pics a bit soft but everything else top notch including quick channel change etc. My problem is the issue with not having RTE Jn and RTE+1 available without having to retune daily. If you have kids in the family this is an issue or if you want to set one up for an elderly relative etc. I think this is a major flaw and is being glossed over because of the current minority nature of the timeshare channels. Anybody any views on whether or not this is major flaw like in the picknick boxes or something that people can live with?

Hi.
    I feel your pain with this issue,
    Just one thing you should only have to re-tune daily if you need both rte +1 & rte jnr , but maybe that is your requirement.

The thing i firmly believe this bug is easily fixable by Ferguson as it used to work fine but post one of the software updates this issue occured .

It would be great if all ferguson distributors could inform Ferguson Poland of this issue (it might but some weight behind it) although some users apparantly dont have this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

As a temporary fix you should try to tune into 2nd transmitter receivable in your area. Than use RTE1+1 from one transmitter and RTE JN from the other...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

givecredit wrote: »
    As a temporary fix you should try to tune into 2nd transmitter receivable in your area. Than use RTE1+1 from one transmitter and RTE JN from the other...

Good idea. I was hoping to use the same receiver at a location near the border for an elderly relative for her to have channels running in much the same order as current analogue UK/ROI setup (She can live without UK HD channels). I wonder if there would be similar issues with BBC 3/4 or any other timeshare UK DTT channels. A fix from Ferguson would cure the annoyance. Here's hoping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Good idea. I was hoping to use the same receiver at a location near the border for an elderly relative for her to have channels running in much the same order as current analogue UK/ROI setup (She can live without UK HD channels). I wonder if there would be similar issues with BBC 3/4 or any other timeshare UK DTT channels. A fix from Ferguson would cure the annoyance. Here's hoping!!

I have the same issue intermittantly. As regards RTE Jnr, that is essentially RTE 2 rebroadcasting, so you can use RTE 2 instead. BBC 3 & 4 transmit the Beeb's childrens channels during the daytime up to 7.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭peace2804

Hi all, I have a quick question about the Ariva 120 HD, I have 2 boxes and each one is connected to a different TV, sometimes the image freezes or there is no sound at all, a quick reboot resolves the issue but I was just wondering if there any update to fix this issue, I have never updated the firmware of the box, Thanks in advance for your help :).

Does the imnage freeze on both boxes at the same time or at different times ? Is it either satellite or terrestrial that freezes? What firmware version do you have, you can find this under "tools" "information" ?

peace2804 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a quick question about the Ariva 120 HD, I have 2 boxes and each one is connected to a different TV, sometimes the image freezes or there is no sound at all, a quick reboot resolves the issue but I was just wondering if there any update to fix this issue, I have never updated the firmware of the box, Thanks in advance for your help :).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gkp1

I still think one of the worst bugs with this box is the incorrect naming of recordings. It has been there through several firmware versions now and seems like a basic function that should be fixable. I have emailed Ferguson in the past about it as suggested here but never got a response. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭peace2804

Thanks for your reply Tony, It doesn't happen at the same time, Both satellite and terrestrial channels can freeze, firmware version is 2.14B4. Cheers.
    Does the imnage freeze on both boxes at the same time or at different times ? Is it either satellite or terrestrial that freezes? What firmware version do you have, you can find this under "tools" "information" ?

Strange one as 2.14 is pretty stable , maybe try updating one of the boxes to 2.15 to see if it helps any. "How to guide " http://www.mediafire.com/?ji0kdvqodn3v07i just ignore the part about unzipping the file , you must follow all other instructions to the letter though otherwise you could damage the box.
    here is the software http://www.mediafire.com/?v2uzbznwbbdqgex

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply Tony, It doesn't happen at the same time, Both satellite and terrestrial channels can freeze, firmware version is 2.14B4. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

givecredit wrote: »

Have the same problem on a TM6900, i have the RTE+1 from Truskmore on ch53 and the rest of the channels including rte jnr on ch22 from castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

having the same issue. Need to power cycle to clear it.
    Will check f/w when i get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

I'm having problems recording something and watching a recording at the same time.

I could do this on my old analogue recorder but no joy with this one. Could this be a limitation of USB/PVR recording.

If I press USB/PVR or menu while a recording is going on there is no response.

Advertisement