Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log Cabin

Options
  • 10-09-2005 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

We've just put a deposit on one of those log cabins up in Cavan by the lake.

Haven't signed contracts yet so I've got a few weeks to do as much research as I can....

I've only got a few queries and that would be would you have to commission a special engineer to do the snag list as its not of your normal conventional house.

Also, it's going to have the Devi under floor heating system. Anyone got any experience of this. Obviously, with the house not even broke ground yet, we'll get some say in the construction, so any advice appreciated now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

we are getting one built in our garden, were getting brochures sent out this week:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Is it a " log cabin ", as in american style, or is it a log cabin construction using conventional square , double tongue and grooved, sealed and caulked machined section.

Very unconventional construction indeed, in Ireland. Companies using this build method, need to be top notch in necessary sliding joint allowance for windows and doors, due to using basically solid timber construction.

Is it a european company, american or canadian, or dare I say homegrwon manufacture.

Considering the standard tf build in Ireland has some poor construction methods taking place, proceed with extreme caution in relation to this method. You need the proper level of expertise going this route. So research, research and then more research.

God luck
    kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kadman wrote:
    Is it a " log cabin ", as in american style, or is it a log cabin construction using conventional square , double tongue and grooved, sealed and caulked machined section.

Very unconventional construction indeed, in Ireland. Companies using this build method, need to be top notch in necessary sliding joint allowance for windows and doors, due to using basically solid timber construction.

Is it a european company, american or canadian, or dare I say homegrwon manufacture.

Considering the standard tf build in Ireland has some poor construction methods taking place, proceed with extreme caution in relation to this method. You need the proper level of expertise going this route. So research, research and then more research.

God luck
    they're callin em log cabins.
    they're advertised on myhome.ie
    go to new developments
    select Cavan
    and they're called Annaghierin Lodge

The cabins are supplied by a cork company called Earth Care
    gonna give them a ring next week

Cant find a web page for them, although I think I have their brochure some where. Looks well. You need to find out where they are sourcing their timber from, and get a detailed spec and erection process from them.

Remember they will require regular maintainence for the out side. And if you get pissed over maintaining and varnishing a georgian glazed wooden window, there will be some of that with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

@Lex Luthor

Looks nice,but €180,000 for one,phew!.Whats the sqaure footage of one of these? I couldnt find it on website.

• Advertisement

mad m wrote:
    @Lex Luthor

Looks nice,but €180,000 for one,phew!.Whats the sqaure footage of one of these? I couldnt find it on website.
    its approx just over 78m2 internal and there is a further 35m2 external veranda in decking.
    3bed, sauna, bathroom and living/kitchen/dining area.
    Kitchen comes fully fitted kitchen with washer/dryer, integrated fridge/freezer, integrated dishwasher, hob, extractor & oven. €250/year maintenance fee for the communal areas which includes a picnic area, lakeside decking and a berth for the boat.
    All it needs is a few grand spent on furniture and fittings & curtains and its ready to move in.
    They are looking for 11k for the hot tub which we're not going for immediately.

As for the outside maintenance...I'm not too bothered with that. They are single story and one weekend every 2-3yrs, I just go up with a bunch of mates, 3-4 hrs staining and the rest is for whatever.

I'm giving the cabin suppliers a call on Monday to get full details from them.

If you think 180k is expensive, we took the cheapest one on the lot. The one at the front is asking price of 350k. Then depending on your position they can go anywhere in the region of 190/200/210/220/230/320. We had a budget of 180 plus fees anyway so this was all we could stretch to.

Is stamp duty applicable on these type of house aswell? We don't plan on using it as a buy-to-let.

http://www.woodcrafthomes.ie/gallery.htm
    place were gettin brochures from and hopefullly getting one built

shortys94 wrote:
    http://www.woodcrafthomes.ie/gallery.htm
    place were gettin brochures from and hopefullly getting one built
    what you gettin built and any idea of cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Sounds nice all the same,especially if you have a berth for a boat.Well goodluck with it if you decide to buy it.

12 ft by 24 ft
    wwith surrounding decking and paving

• Advertisement

I contacted the cabin suppliers this morning and this is what they told me.

The wood is Spruce & Red Wood coming from Estonia, which I'm told is a slow growing wood.

As for the heating system, they are not too familiar with it, but he told me to contact Devi, but said as far as he knew that it was installed into the rafters of the house, not the under floor. Doesn't make sense to me as I thought heat rises. A phone call to Devi should put my mind at ease.

Other than that, only other concern I have is how the bank will view this in terms of a mortgage? Only a meeting with the manager will answer those questions.

One for Kadman, here's the link from last Sundays Business Post...it has a few small details on the build
    http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEW%20THIS%20WEEK-qqqm=nav-qqqid=7324-qqqx=1.asp

kadman wrote:

God luck
    Kadman, I'd appreciate if you'd throw your eye over the following cross section & picture and let me know what you think in terms of build design.
    They are supplied by Earth Crae in Cork and originally from a company in Estonia called AS Ritsu

Cross Section of Roof & Wall
    Front/Side View

Hi Lex,

Had a quick look at your pics, and a couple of things spring to mind.

Your construction method is typical of this type of build. Horizontal outer log wall, and a counter battened internal stud. Internal stud will probably be covered with horizontal tgv sheeting. The vertical internal battens are normally attached with a fitting to both stud, and external log. This fitting should allow the external logs to expand and contract, and not interfere with the internal vertical studs. If they are solidly fixed and allow no movement, the external expansion and contraction, will manifest itself on the internal sheeting, resulting in movement of the internal tgv. , and splitting, warping ect.

The roof detail is very basic. Extremely low pitch, definitely room for improvement there. Nordman sheeting is a basic roof covering , regarded as a lower quality material, which I would not be a lover of, for various reasons.
    Lightweight roof materials allow for lightweight roof timbers , all aimed at keeping down initial production cost, not necessarily the best option. Any change here will no doubt have a major impact on the overall cost. Increased roof material weight ,will require a change in roof design, increased roof pitch, timber size ect.

I have consulted on log cabin construction manufactured in euorope for my next door neighbour. Unfortunately for him, 3 months after he ordered his house. His problems were too numerous to mention here. But they ranged from, sloppy initial design, through to poor company site build, scarf ridge joints upside down ect,. Rooferpete will know where I,m coming from.

I dont want to put a damper on your dream Lex, but being forewarned, is being forearmed. So do your research, and some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Lex,

Your own question should be enough to start to alarm bells going into standby mode, the roof finish I would say about OK for a garden shed.

Thanks guys for your comments, really appreciate them. Gonna have a QS look at them over aswell today and get another opinion, not that I don't value yours very highly.

I'll be up there Sunday giving the place a good once over and checking out the build quality.

Pete, when you say the roof finish is about OK for a garden shed, what lifetime would you typically give it before it started to give problems, bearing in mind that I probably only plan to keep it for about 5-8 yrs.

heres a pic of the log cabin which we are currenlt wating upon specifications in the mail, there from finland or somewhere(my father is dealing with the transaction) but this model is to our liking
    http://www.weekendhouse.com/default.asp?id=6m77nurz1q9

Hi Lex,

I will have to answer that one by private email ;)roofconsult@eircom.net there's nothing that can't be sorted while at the planning / building stage.

I spooke with Earth Care and they told me that the vertical battens are not directly fixed to the external logs. They are like you say "attached with a fitting to both stud, and external log. This fitting should allow the external logs to expand and contract, and not interfere with the internal vertical studs"

As for the roof, it's the best option they provide when supplying their log cabins. They tell me its a lifetime roof....There is a 10yr structural gurantee with the house and seeing as I'll probably be selling before this is up, I should be covered. I'm not a roof expert, but I would expect that they can't put anything as heavy on a roof design of this type as compared to a typical modern home. Allowances I'm sure have to be made . Looking at the pic of the roof on your house shorty, they look very similar.

Rough Prices I got yesterday for the cabin, were for the bare cabin, insulation & decking with under supports & foundation it would cost about €55k.
    Then add kitchen, electrics, plumbing, bathrrom suite, fireproofing inside, heating system & kitchen appliances, I'm estimating about €80k.

Hi Lex,

Just for the record , every timberframe kit in the country carrys the roof, whether slate or otherwise. The external brick or block construction does not carry the roof as some people think. So a lot of timberframe panels at 600 mm centres are carrying the complete roof load.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭judesherry

Hey shortys94
    You should have a look at gardenrooms.ie. They’re much smaller buildings more as an alternative to an extension than a house but good quality and a good price. They’re ideal if you’re just putting it in your garden. Plus their based in Ireland so would cut out a lot of messing around I’d say.

• Advertisement

I've dona all my research and satified....its full steam ahead.

hey jusdesherry, the one i am getting specs on looks alot better to me and bigger:)

Of course you have all done your research, and are happy with your findings, well done.

So now you all know what spruce is....its common name in Ireland, and you know what redwood is, and you know how durable they are.... you do know dont you, ......tell me you know....please.

Or maybe I'm playing mind games with you, then again maybe I'm not.

Research..

kadman :D

kadman wrote:
    So now you all know what spruce is....its common name in Ireland, and you know what redwood is, and you know how durable they are.... you do know dont you, ......tell me you know....please.
    From what I remember from my woodwork & build const classes in secondary school many eons ago, spruce is white deal...its the wood that they only plan on using on the inside of this building for the floors, walls & ceiling. All the internal wood is kiln dried down to 12-14% from what I'm told so there should be min. shrinkage so hopefully there will be very little gaps appearing over the next few years as the wood settles.

As for Redwood, my experience of that is when I visited the Redwood national forest in Nth California...you know the ones...thoise big monster trees that go up & up forever. They're a real slow growing tree and the wood is ideally suited for these appliactions.

If I can blag a free trip to the suppliers in Estonia for a tour to help me convince me to buy this, all the better. The companies main markets are Estonia, Germany, Norway, Great Britain, Spain, Japan, Ireland

www.ritsu.ee

Ding, ding, ding,...wrong answer Lex. :D:D:D

North american redwood, and european redwood are two different trees.

Totally different characteristics, dried weight, and durability. While one is durable and suitable for exterior use , the other is not durable.

And fat chance that your cabin is going to be made from a giant sequoia,...
    Yogi bear might live in one made from it, you wont be :D

Back to the school books for you me lad :rolleyes:

I hope Yop does not take this thread too seriously... :) , and give me a bit of an ear bashing ;)

kadman

I say Kadman,

You wouldn't happen to be referring to the minor details like timber density, and moisture content would you ?

Indubidubly my good man,

Ah Rooferpete, you being a member of the brotherhood, you would be privvy to such things. You are of course referring to the very matter of exposure to the elements versus the ability of the said material to resist the forces of nature.

Thus the said material being durable / mildy durable/ not durable, has the necessary characteristics to withstand degradation due to , wind, rain, rot, insect attack, blue sap stain..and of course our furry , over grown incisor, whiskered pet, and I dont mean Bugs Bunny. :rolleyes:

Of course the six million dollar question is ...which one is which, european redwood or north american redwood. :eek:

Rooferpete you are expected to remain tight lipped about the answer to this dilemma, as expected you smart ass you do know the answer :cool: . So with the promise of a swift kick up the jacksee, or monetary bribes please keep stumm. :D

kadman :D

Log cabin arrived on thursday morning at 10 o clock in a 40 foot container, hard work getting everything out but shipping only took about a week, now all i have to do is wiat for Finnish builders to arrive

got my log cabin from weekendhouse.com

• Registered Users Posts: 78,252 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They all look like garden sheds.

The section through the eaves looks woefully under-insulated unless its strictly for summer use only.

• Advertisement

are you referring to weekend house cabins, well the one i just got is a two storey and it hardly looks like a shed:P

finnish guys are arriving next saturday or sunday:)

Advertisement