Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA statement

Options
  • 28-07-2005 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

It looks like today could deliver a truly historical event with the IRA releasing a statement which will see the organisation end all activities. The release of Sean Kelly last night along with Martin McGuinness saying only a few hours ago that “in a few hours it will be the dawning of a bright new day in Ireland” after he had arrived in the US to brief Bush’s envy. McGuinness has a press conference scheduled for noon (5pm Irish time) by which time it is expected the IRA will have released it’s statement.

I know no matter what the statement says there will be many here who will dismiss it, but I truly believe that this will be a momentous historical event which will see an end to the armed struggle and a final move to democratic politics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

DUP have already dismissed it.

TBH anything other then a complete disbandment is not going to cut it.

Will be intresting to see how Bush spins it as something he helped bring about.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

irish1 wrote:
    I know no matter what the statement says there will be many here who will dismiss it
    Well hopefully it will be a change. I've been hopefully since 1985 (a lot closer to 1972 than today is).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

irish1 wrote:
    It looks like today could deliver a truly historical event with the IRA releasing a statement which will see the organisation end all activities.

I wonder if I shoudl start a book on how long it takes before there is an article in the media / here about something which contradicts "all activities" and we'll have to listen to yet another round of explanations as to why the particular activity in question wasn't actually covered.

F'r example...will recruitment, weapons-acquisition and information-acquisition count as activities? Will members meeting and/or discussing the future of the IRA qualify as an activity?

Or will it just be a "we'll stop beating up people and robbing banks" sort of "all activity"?

OK - I'm jumping the gun. I know I am. But I'm putting my marker down now and saynig I am pessimistic and believe that whatever statement is issued will not be a clear, unequivocable statement saying that the IRA will cease to exist in any active form.
    I know no matter what the statement says there will be many here who will dismiss it,
    I think statements on their own have long-established to be worthless. If what the IRA promise sounds worthwhile, then it will still be discounted until they show they're living up to their words. Whether you like it or not, the IRA does not have what you might consider to be the trust of the people.

The crunch is finding out if they have the cojones to live up to their words (whatever those words may be) in the face of such skepticism.
    but I truly believe that this will be a momentous historical event which will see an end to the armed struggle and a final move to democratic politics.
    I hope you're right, but I believe that if you consider teh statement to be historical before waiting to find out how its played out in practice, then you really haven't been looking at whats been happening over the last 20 years and more, except perhaps through rose-tinted glasses.

Hobbes wrote:
    TBH anything other then a complete disbandment is not going to cut it.[./quote]
    Indeed. One has to ask what the purpose of a complete cessation of all activities would be if not to sort-of-disband only without actually disbanding.

Which then begs teh question...why not disband...

...but hey...jumping the gun again. Maybe they'll announce disbandment, hand over all weapons and proceeds to mediators, and just disappear.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bonkey I am more than aware of was had happened over the past 20 years, I didn't say I know it will be historical, I said I truly believe it will be and I do, I think all the signs are there that this will be a final move.

I agree with you that the real test is what happens in the coming months, i.e. if they will follow through with their word and end all activities and decomission all weapons.

IMO "all activities" is just that, everything must stop, obviously the group of people will still excist and they will have commemorations but all activites must cease to excist. I think Bertie said something along those lines lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭tomMK1

there is a rumour going around that the governments have already seen the statement so it'll be interesting to see what it says.

After listening to that fella from the Sunday Indo on the last word telling us that carrickmore has lots of houses with jacuzzis (no idea what carrickmore he means but its certainly not the tyrone one he was reffering to) and basically talking a lot (and i mean a lot) of rubbish, i dont think the Indo reading public will be too interested in the statement - well yer man certainly sounded like he had dismissed it already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

At this point in time, I think the IRA know that they will be wasting their time if they do not issue a statement that ends all contentious, criminal, paramilitary, violent and intimidatory activity. They will also know that to be effective it will need to be backed up by actions, and it will need time to be verified and believed by the unionists.

The big question will be how far they / Sinn Fein go on policing. That is likely to be the last stumbling block to a return to Stromont and (relatively) normal politics in the North. I have a feeling the Sinn Fein will hold off on this one to negotiate before resuming Stormont.

It may not be a bad strategy - leave something substantial for the Unionists to complain about, rather than having them moan about insubstantial issues such as meeting, associating, commemorating, etc which, imho can be justified as reasonable in the context of an overall standing-down of their other activities.

the policing issue will have to be dealt with eventually so the sooner the better imho

I agree, but I still can't see the IRA / SF "give it all away" today.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm putting my marker down now and saynig I am pessimistic and believe that whatever statement is issued will not be a clear, unequivocable statement saying that the IRA will cease to exist in any active form.

I think quite a substantial portion of people feel somewhat similar. It'll be interesting to see what comes about.

BBC News: "IRA statement will challenge republicans and nationalists - Gerry Adams. More soon."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Genghis wrote:
    I agree, but I still can't see the IRA / SF "give it all away" today.

Exactly, either that or they have another ship load of m16s coming in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

My worry is that Nationalist areas will be left unprotected from Loyalist attacks which have increased in the last month or two,and what happens if other Republican groups increase their attacks on security forces, will the IRA get the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

hill16 wrote:
    My worry is that Nationalist areas will be left unprotected from Loyalist attacks which have increased in the last month or two,and what happens if other Republican groups increase their attacks on security forces, will the IRA get the blame.

the loyalists are too busy fighting over drug turf to be bothering nationalists at the moment.

It will be interesting to see, no doubt they wont want to give Big Ian and Co the idea they have surrendered....

From breaking news.ie:
    The IRA statement today will challenge Irish republicans and nationalists, Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams has declared.

Mr Adams said: “The forthcoming IRA statement will challenge Irish republicans and nationalists. I appeal to everyone to carefully read what the army has to say and to remain united and steadfast.

“The IRA statement will also challenge others, especially the two governments and the Unionists.

“The Dublin political establishment in particular will have a lot of soul-searching to do if those in political leadership are to meet the needs of the upcoming period.”

BuffyBot wrote:
    I think quite a substantial portion of people feel somewhat similar. It'll be interesting to see what comes about.

it'll probably have give and take in it. the IRA will do X if the governments/unionists do Y which in my mind would be a good thing as its not only the IRA who need to sort themselves out for peace to work.

hill16 wrote:

No, the other group will or it will be treated as criminal action.

Actually the more I think about it the more it seems the best way to go.

In light of the current attacks in London its going to get messy for anyone marked as "Terrorist". IRA disbanding means they will avoid this messiness.

It also leaves the Unionists with its own terrorist forces. They have the option to do the same or get stepped on.

tomMK1 wrote:
    it'll probably have give and take in it. the IRA will do X if the governments/unionists do Y which in my mind would be a good thing as its not only the IRA who need to sort themselves out for peace to work.

I dont think that is a good thing at all. Any tit-for-tat generally gets ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I think the time is right for the IRA to step down. It will put the pressure on the Unionists then. I think the IRA know that they must go or their members (moreso newer members) may get more and more involved in criminality and end up like the UVF and LVF.
    I hope this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Hobbes wrote:
    It also leaves the Unionists with its own terrorist forces. They have the option to do the same or get stepped on.

Can I ask a question (this is a genuine question with no hidden agenda, just one Ive never heard asked). why is it that its only ever IRA decommisioning thats on the agenda? there are other terrorist organisations in the north still arent there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

"The leadership of Óglaigh na hÉireann has formally ordered an end to the armed campaign.
    This will take effect from 4pm this afternoon.
    All IRA units have been ordered to dump arms. All Volunteers have been instructed to
    assist the development of purely political and democratic programmes through exclusively
    peaceful means. Volunteers must not engage in any other activities whatsoever.
    The IRA leadership has also authorised our representative to engage with the IICD to
    complete the process to verifiably put its arms beyond use in a way which will further
    enhance public confidence and to conclude this as quickly as possible.
    We have invited two independent witnesses, from the Protestant and Catholic churches, to
    testify to this.
    The Army Council took these decisions following an unprecedented internal discussion and
    consultation process with IRA units and Volunteers.
    We appreciate the honest and forthright way in which the consultation process was carried
    out and the depth and content of the submissions. We are proud of the comradely
    way in which this truly historic discussion was conducted. The outcome of our
    consultations show very strong support among IRA Volunteers for the Sinn Féin
    peace strategy. There is also widespread concern about the failure of the two governments
    and the unionists to fully engage in the peace process. This has created real
    difficulties. The overwhelming majority of people in Ireland fully support this process.
    They and friends of Irish unity throughout the world want to see the full implementation
    of the Good Friday Agreement.
    Notwithstanding these difficulties our decisions have been taken to advance our
    republican and democratic objectives, including our goal of a united Ireland. We believe
    there is now an alternative way to achieve this and to end British rule in our
    country. It is the responsibility of all Volunteers to show leadership, determination and
    courage. We are very mindful of the sacrifices of our patriot dead, those who went to
    jail, Volunteers, their families and the wider republican base. We reiterate our view
    that the armed struggle was entirely legitimate.
    We are conscious that many people suffered in the conflict. There is a compelling
    imperative on all sides to build a just and lasting peace.
    The issue of the defence of nationalist and republican communities has been raised with
    us. There is a responsibility on society to ensure that there is no re-occurrence
    of the pogroms of 1969 and the early 1970s. There is also a universal responsibility to
    tackle sectarianism in all its forms.
    The IRA is fully committed to the goals of Irish unity and independence and to building
    the Republic outlined in the 1916 Proclamation.
    We call for maximum unity and effort by Irish republicans everywhere.
    We are confident that by working together Irish republicans can achieve our objectives.
    Every
    Volunteer is aware of the import of the decisions we have taken and all Óglaigh are
    compelled to fully comply
    with these orders.
    There is now an unprecedented opportunity to utilise the considerable energy and goodwill
    which there is for the peace process. This comprehensive series of unparalleled
    initiatives is our contribution to this and to the continued endeavours to bring about
    independence and unity for
    the people of Ireland.
    Irish Republican Army orders an end to armed campaign
    The IRA is fully committed to the goals
    of Irish unity and
    independence and to
    building the Republic
    outlined in the 1916
    Proclamation
    Our decisions have
    been taken to advance
    our republican and
    democratic objectives,
    including our goal of a
    united Ireland. We
    believe there is now an
    alternative way to
    achieve this and to end
    British rule in our
    country
    HISTORIC
    STATEMENT
    READ BY
    SÉANNA WALSH
    THE historic IRA statement was visually
    recorded and read by Séanna Walsh at the
    request of the leadership of Óglaigh na hÉireann.
    Séanna served over 21 years as a
    Republican Prisoner of War in both the Cages
    and the H-Blocks of Long Kesh. He was among
    the first republicans ‘on the blanket’ after his
    arrest in 1976, the year the British Labour
    Government began its policy of attempting to
    criminalise IRA prisoners. Séanna was a friend
    and cellmate of Bobby Sands, the Officer
    Commanding in the H-Blocks and the first of
    the Hunger Strikers who died in 1981.
    Since his release Séanna Breatnach has
    played a key role working with Sinn Féin’s
    negotiating team and advancing the republican
    peace strategy."

Good Scoop Roar!

No direct mention of policing. Otherwise a very strong and unambigous statement (in so far as "all activities" is taken to include all criminal, paramilitary and other illegal activities - I expect demands for clarification on this point.)

Incidentally, where did you get it from (no mention yet on any news source I have scoured, the word is that it will not be released until mid-afternoon ahead of scheduled press conferences in Dublin and the USA at 4pm).

Genghis wrote:
    Incidentally, where did you get it from (no mention yet on any news source I have scoured, the word is that it will not be released until mid-afternoon ahead of scheduled press conferences in Dublin and the USA at 4pm).

Was on the radio just now.

Genghis wrote:
    No direct mention of policing.

As I take it all actions which would be classed as criminal are to be stopped. This would include policing (which would be handled by the countries police force).

Its a good move, and I like the fact they are getting witnesses as well this time.

Clearly puts the pressure on Unionists to do something. Can't wait for Ians reply.

Hobbes, I know that they said that criminal activites are to stop, but that does not mean that they recognise the PSNI, much less that they support it or Sinn Feins participation on its board.

Remember the Robert McCartney case? The IRA recognised the illegal nature of the activity of its members but stopped short of directing its members to the nearest PSNI station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Excellant statement. After all the ****e being spouted here over the past 6 months, I truely believed back then that this day was not far away at all.

Well it has arrived today.

Of course action has to go with words but watching sky news its believed that arms decommisining is already under way! :)

DUP will dismiss it of course(along with some here of course! :rolleyes: ), sure they have already dissmissed it and it wasnt even out then. Their going to try and spin it and go on about the release of Sean Kelly etc etc etc.......

Historic day for all

This is an historic day, the IRA will today at 4pm put down their weapons for good and all activites will stop.

I knew this day would come and I am delighted with the statement, I now look forward to seeing all their arms been put beyond use and the DUP sitting down with Sinn Fein to form a powersharing government.

Sinn Fein have made this possible and no matter what any of the anti Sinn Fein posters say, without them this would not be possible, Sinn Fein have offered the republicans an alternative - democratic political process and they now must embrace that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It will be interesting to see what kind of breakaway groups emerge from this. It's an historic day, but I very much doubt it's an end to the violence in the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

So what do you all think, at last there will be peace.

I wonder in years to come will the islamic terrorists do the same

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1190536,00.html

Advertisement