Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 in Croke Remarks - Was it worth it?

Options
  • 24-06-2005 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭

Hey just looking for your feedback on the concert, what did ye think of it? Did you leave early, not want to leave, think it was class ... or whatever thoughts you may have.

The band.
    Supporting bands.
    Venue management.
    Transport etc.

Opti

Was it worth going? 130 votes

Hell yeah ... Are you on crack!?! :D
    0%
    Was ok satisified. :)
    70%
    nahdoicBriThomas from PresenceacquiescefcdecobDrakussegadreamcastflyzbambamv10RewPrisoner6409krattapopovSilent AssasinDcullycorm500dbnavanSteMjankStandard Toaster 91 votes
    No ... they are loosing their touch
    20%
    ZascarCharles SlaneBottle_of_SmokedigimanRabiesDizzfull forwardlogisticweemcdlazygitTheStrandRoadsblondie83iggyArdentgrumpytrousersscargillcullenswoodRaisererrigalGeorgeBailey 27 votes
    I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!! :mad:
    9%
    DustazkarlhdreginMisterAnarchyDeviousgrimlochAcerferrari3200dawballzis_that_sohawkmoon269Mr RiversPatrickStar 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hey just looking for your feedback on the concert, what did ye think of it? Did you leave early, think it was class ... or whatever thoughts you may have.

Opti

Is this request going out to all the psychics out there?

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Well its been opened for the ppl that may leave early after all the gates have been open for a whole 47mins :P as well as those that never want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Comeon ppl surely your home by now ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

lol, who is the guy who voted for his money back?lol

Its a 100% for i want my money back,

I just heard on the radio that is was ****. 16 people said that on the AK phone show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Was able to hear most of it from my apartment. Sounded like they were banging out most of the classics. Didnt pay much attention, to be honest, rather be watching the Glasto highlights on BBC - The White Stripes, now thats a band that give you a bit more than what you get on their records! Great stuff!

I smell a lot of jealousy so far from the ppl without tickets :D

Not at all actually, I had 4 standing tickets to the Monday show and was going to go, but I really wasnt that pushed. So sold them on to friends for face value. Saw them do the Elevation tour in Globen in Stockholm in 2001, was impressed, but not so much that I needed to see them again!

I actually had tickets for the 2nd Slane show too, but gave them to my brother as I had tickets to see Billy Connolly the same night! No contest!

If you cant wait for someone to add their 2 cents, heres what breaking news had to say about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I have seen the Vertigo tour twice so far.
    Manchester and London.
    To be honest the hype surrounding the current tour is insane.
    The media have hyped up the Dublin show's beyond all expectations.
    Its nuts really as the show is the same each night they perform bar 3-4 songs.
    Its so chereographed now and predictable .
    I am going Monday night but I know exactly what to expect.
    Vertigo is a 6.5/10 in my books.
    Zoo TV is 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Well I'm just back and I thought it was class! Twas my first time seeing them play live. Brilliant!

Snow Patrol were very, very good too - but the crowd seemed a little quiet for them. The Radiators were bizarrely terrible...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

Too much. Still tripped out from it. Great Live band!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Not at all actually, I had 4 standing tickets to the Monday show and was going to go, but I really wasnt that pushed. So sold them on to friends for face value. Saw them do the Elevation tour in Globen in Stockholm in 2001, was impressed, but not so much that I needed to see them again!

I actually had tickets for the 2nd Slane show too, but gave them to my brother as I had tickets to see Billy Connolly the same night! No contest!

yea, course ya did

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ronanm

just home. I was in the upper Hogan. level with canal end goal line (for those who know croker). I've seen U2 on every tour since 84. The view was great.

The sound was the worst I have ever heard at a major gig. Croker upper tier is a disaster for acoustics. We had friends in the canal upper, they were of the same opinion. None of us could make out a word of Bono's between song ramblings. We met people from Germany, New Zealand and Manchester who had already seen previous gigs on this tour - they also thought the sound was very bad. Spoke to my brother, who was on the pitch - unsurprisingly, the sound was great, he thought the gig was brilliant. I reckon I'd have been of the same opinion had I been on the pitch. I heard second hand reports that if your seats were hill16/stage side of the halfway line the sound was much better (ie there were 2 speaker towers halfway down the pitch which were apparently majorly contributing to the cacophony).

So if you have a pitch ticket for Sat/Mon - enjoy. If you have an upper stand ticket - swap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

No ... they are loosing their touch
    Great gig only thing i didnt like was U2's entrance. They could have hyped it up abit more. It seem very unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Excellent. Slane wasn't a patch on this gig. Yeah entrance was a bit low key .. but made no odds .. brilliant concert. Well worth the money. I was in Cusack Lower Tier and found the sound pretty good .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I was in Cusack Upper near the Canal end and the sound was terrible :mad:
    Couldn't hear what Bono was saying when he was talking!
    Friends who were in the Hogan Lower thought it was great.
    When we left just before the last song, the difference when we were outside the ground was unbelievable, it was way better outside then it was inside.
    If you have tickets for the Cusack Upper Roinn 710 for either of the next two concerts, change them quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 picture

What I liked best about the gig was the bands enterance. Such honesty. No music, no fancy lights. The band just walked to the front of the stage, all 4 of them. It was like, well here we are, it's great to see you.... ...

I was in the Cusac stand lower and couldn't make out Bono's words too clearly, but could hear the music great.
    Wish I could go and hear them in a tiny venue...
    the picture

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Going on Monday and have a pitch ticket. From the sounds of things that's good news. Here's the set list from tonight, for anyone intrested:

From http://www.u2setlists.com

06/24/2005 Croke Park - Dublin, Ireland
    Vertigo
    I Will Follow
    The Electric Co. / Bullet With Butterfly Wings (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet)
    Elevation
    New Year's Day
    Beautiful Day / Rain (snippet) / Here Comes The Sun (snippet)
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
    City Of Blinding Lights
    Miracle Drug
    Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
    Love And Peace Or Else
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
    Running To Stand Still / Happy Birthday (snippet) / Walk On (snippet)
    Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    Where The Streets Have No Name
    One / Rain (snippet)

Encores:
    Zoo Station
    The Fly
    With Or Without You / City Of Blinding Lights (snippet)
    All Because Of You
    Yahweh
    Vertigo / Jailbreak (snippet)

I'm really disappointed that they're not ending the European concerts with "40" like they did the American ones. That being sung by 50-60,000 people is an abiding memory of the Croke Park gigs in 1985 and 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I'm hoping they play Bad & Wild Horses on Monday!
    Should deffo finish with "40".
    Sounds like a great gig so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

That was amazing, had a great spot on the pitch and absolutely no complaints about the sound. The set was perfect, a great mix of old and new. The stage was unbelieveable, I don't think you would see anything like that anywhere except a U2 gig, it has to be seen to be believed in all honesty.
    Bono is a fcuking legand, Edge is a legend, Larry is a legend and I guess Adam is too. Hope to be going again on monday, can't bloody wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Did anyone snap any pics?
    Come on...post some up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

This was my second U2 gig - Pop Mart being the other. It was fantastic, but more understated than the last one (no driving lemon) and I think their understated enterance might have made it a bit slow to get of the mark.

I'd agree with the sound comments - I was in the Upper Cusack towards the Hill end and I couldn't hear some of what Bono was saying.

Overall though it was great and especially when the crowd got going behind the classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I could hear U2 soundchecking from my office in town this afternoon, REALLY loudly. They sounded good from there lol

I saw the stage on the train home, thought it would have been bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Once i hear Where The Streets Have No Name, im outta there....lol only messing. Cant wait for Monday, Ash should be cool too, The Bravery....yea Ash and U2.. :)

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

That was amazing, had a great spot on the pitch and absolutely no complaints about the sound. The set was perfect, a great mix of old and new. The stage was unbelieveable, I don't think you would see anything like that anywhere except a U2 gig, it has to be seen to be believed in all honesty.
    Bono is a fcuking legand, Edge is a legend, Larry is a legend and I guess Adam is too. Hope to be going again on monday, can't bloody wait!!

Ditto , Here's some snaps.
    dsc000946cn.jpg
    dsc000955dc.jpg
    dsc001148uk.jpg

any dublin pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I think that's me (well, a bit of the back of my head) in one of your pics sharkman! ;)

yea, course ya did

Thats right........I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I was in the upper tier of the hogan stand and the sound was the worst ive ever heard at a U2 gig.

Bear in mind that U2 always always always have the best sound youll ever hear at a gig and as such i was very disapointed. I was talking to a mate who was on the pitch and he also said the sound was dodgy so i dont think it was just the stands.

As far as the show goes, the band were very subdued for some reason. The show was the worst u2 show ive seen out of 7 ive been to. If this is your first U2 gig, youll love it because they really are the best live band in the world, but that gig last night was NOWHERE near their best.

They played vertigo TWICE. Wtf? Is this cabaret? Play your latest hit single twice? Thats not the U2 i know.

As someone previously said zootv was 10/10. This was a 6

Advertisement