Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Packages, Exactly When?

Options
  • 07-03-2005 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got confirmation from IOL/Eircom/UTV when they will be releasing details of the new packages? Is it tomorrow?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I heard that esat may announce something on wednesday but theres been no rumours for eircom or utv yet but one would assume that if esat/iol are upgrading then eircom and utv would also follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I read somewhere that it would be announced on the 11th - That would be this friday.. Not 100% sure. That was for Esat, I'm assuming like previously stated that Eircom & UTV will following.

Yeah.. Esat's trial offer ends on the 11th and Eircom's offer ends on the 31st. It's fair to say that these are the dates that each respective company will announce their new products (which we are assuming is a 1024/256 product).

UTV's trial offer ends the 8th of March (tomorrow), so they also could be announcing a new product tomorrow. I can't be 100% about this but it's a reasonable guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thebigdude

Be patient... very, VERY patient when it comes to broadband announcements in this country.

And most important of all, prepare youself for disappointment. Note that Esat and UTV still HAVE NOT unbundled lines to an extent to allow a different service from eircon at the moment... and you can be damned sure that eircon, with a CEO who thinks "people are more than happy with 512kbps", won't challenge Smart's offer... quite the opposite, they will retaliate with the only weapon they have in their arsenal, one that they have used time and time again... that weapon is... PRICE HIKES :D. It sounds ridiculous but people apparently seem willing to go with inferior products that cost more for some reason... someone should do a study to see why exactly...

Anyway, i doubt anyone will make any announcements in the next 2 weeks, so don't bother checking every 5 mins.

Just my own 2 cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

But wouldn't price hikes backfire on them? Besides if Smart start posing a serious threat to them then they might finally start offering a decent package.

• Advertisement

thebigdude wrote:
    Be patient... very, VERY patient when it comes to broadband announcements in this country.

And most important of all, prepare youself for disappointment. Note that Esat and UTV still HAVE NOT unbundled lines to an extent to allow a different service from eircon at the moment... and you can be damned sure that eircon, with a CEO who thinks "people are more than happy with 512kbps", won't challenge Smart's offer... quite the opposite, they will retaliate with the only weapon they have in their arsenal, one that they have used time and time again... that weapon is... PRICE HIKES :D. It sounds ridiculous but people apparently seem willing to go with inferior products that cost more for some reason... someone should do a study to see why exactly...

Anyway, i doubt anyone will make any announcements in the next 2 weeks, so don't bother checking every 5 mins.

Just my own 2 cents...

Esat have already said that they are announcing a new product on the 11th. I've a very strong feeling that the tri-guys will all have announced their release of a 1024/256 product by the end of this month..

Infini wrote:
    But wouldn't price hikes backfire on them? Besides if Smart start posing a serious threat to them then they might finally start offering a decent package.

They aren't going to add any price hikes.. They will be lowering prices and increasing bandwidth or keeping the same prices and increasing bandwidth.. Anything else doesn't look reasonable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there wont be price hikes, more than likely they will keep the prices the same and increase the caps and perhaps the speed, ive a feeling that eircom will go for an upgrade to 16gig and iol/utv to go for 30gig. If theres gonna be a speed increase, it may only effect those on the more expensive packages like homeplus, we'll see what happens.

Gonzo wrote:
    there wont be price hikes, more than likely they will keep the prices the same and increase the caps and perhaps the speed, ive a feeling that eircom will go for an upgrade to 16gig and iol/utv to go for 30gig. If theres gonna be a speed increase, it may only effect those on the more expensive packages like homeplus, we'll see what happens.

Yup, that sounds like the most realistic offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Let's hope that's the offer.
    It's not what we want, but what we've come to expect...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

uggghh thats not good for me :/

if esat go to 30 and eircom only do 16 id be gutted.
    /me wonders how long he has left in his trial

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Will the likes of Wireless Broadband ie Irishbroadband, have offers too to keep up with the other telecommunication companys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thebigdude

dlofnep wrote:
    Yup, that sounds like the most realistic offer.

You would think....

But then, one should ask, why should people be contempt with 1024/256 with caps for 50 euro/month when they could get 2048/128 for 11 euro/month with no caps? I know Smart isn't available everywhere yet, but it still applies here as Esat and UTV have been offering a package which is superior to eircon + is cheaper, yet people are still subscribing to eircon.

It's the mentality of these people that are pushing this country back when it comes to broadband. Maybe there's some truth about what eircon are saying... no one else outside these boards seems to care whether there's a faster+cheaper product out there... that's why the market is non-competitive...

If Garfield from Smart is reading this, here's a tip: The only way for Smart to really get those 100,000 connections is to offer a PRUDUCT to take advantage of the 2mbps connection. How about launching TV over DSL sometime this year? How about Video-on-Demand movies and sports? That would get people's attention....and eircon and the others will have to follow suit to compete.

Come on, we all know the only reason we need more bandwidth is to download videos... please don't say games as 512kbps is enough to download the odd game now and then...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dan i wouldn't think IBB will lower their prices, the reason being they'll say well you're getting a 1024/1024 line so that's worth the 48 euros, so the believe.

anyways back on topic, i believe until eircom make an annoucement the others will keep their mouths closed.

thebigdude wrote:
    You would think....

But then, one should ask, why should people be contempt with 1024/256 with caps for 50 euro/month when they could get 2048/128 for 11 euro/month with no caps? I know Smart isn't available everywhere yet, but it still applies here as Esat and UTV have been offering a package which is superior to eircon + is cheaper, yet people are still subscribing to eircon.

It's the mentality of these people that are pushing this country back when it comes to broadband. Maybe there's some truth about what eircon are saying... no one else outside these boards seems to care whether there's a faster+cheaper product out there... that's why the market is non-competitive...

People will be contempt because the majority of the public doesn't know any better. Smart's product is 35 euro a month. The free line rental has nothing to do with the actual price of the broadband product - It is just an incentive (a great one at that). An incentive like free trials.. Smart's just happens to be better.

However.. Smart isn't readily available and won't have the coverage of Eircom which is Eircom will continue to run their monopoly. Esat & UTV fall because of their poor marketing campaigns.. That is why Eircom set's the standards.. Not because they are reselling bitstream products to esat & utv.. If current clients of Eircom could see that Esat & UTV were respectively more bang for the buck products then Eircom would actually put together better services in order to compete.. They rarely have to compete however because of the mainstream market they run.

I'm all about Smart.. My order is processed. The sooner I get rid of Eircom altogether the better. It's a horrible company with horrible customer service.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

thebigdude wrote:
    I know Smart isn't available everywhere yet

Of course you meant to say it isn't available anywhere yet - with business rumours/chatter saying it's months away, not the week or two they've been spewing.

I thought the IOL announcement was due Wednesday? That's what I've thought people said elsewhere.

I guess we'll see. *sighs* I should be more prepared to be disappointed I do suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

dlofnep wrote:
    The free line rental has nothing to do with the actual price of the broadband product - It is just an incentive (a great one at that). An incentive like free trials.. Smart's just happens to be better.
    What they are offering is combined line rental and broadband for 35 euros on a permanent basis for those who sign up early. The combined line rental + broadband with UTV is 54 euros. It would seem to be significantly better than any of the nearest offers.

Anyway on the subject on the new offers. I think Esat may bring out a better product from its LLU enabled exchanges. This may beat Smarts in terms of speed. If they do, then the product, like Smart's wont be available to all DSL since Esat are only in 25 exchanges.

If they were going to do it via Eircom's bitstream there should have been some notice on Eircom's wholesale website by now. Previously, when changes in the bitstream service have occurred, Eircom have taken the opportunity of announcing retail services straight away. Only later do the resellers put together their packages.

Esat plan on doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Chalk wrote:
    uggghh thats not good for me :/

if esat go to 30 and eircom only do 16 id be gutted.

16gb will be very dissapointing, I'd prefer the same speeds but bigger caps

and like everyone said, prepare to be dissapointed :(

SkepticOne wrote:
    What they are offering is combined line rental and broadband for 35 euros on a permanent basis for those who sign up early. The combined line rental + broadband with UTV is 54 euros. It would seem to be significantly better than any of the nearest offers.

Anyway on the subject on the new offers. I think Esat may bring out a better product from its LLU enabled exchanges. This may beat Smarts in terms of speed. If they do, then the product, like Smart's wont be available to all DSL since Esat are only in 25 exchanges.

If they were going to do it via Eircom's bitstream there should have been some notice on Eircom's wholesale website by now. Previously, when changes in the bitstream service have occurred, Eircom have taken the opportunity of announcing retail services straight away. Only later do the resellers put together their packages.

if that turns out to be the case then this will be truly gutting, only a handfull of esatbt business customers would benefit from an upgrade and the majority of people on eircom/iol/utv be left with no upgrade in sight at all, it is a bit worrying that there has been no announcement from eircom at all unless all 3 companys plan to do it tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

what exchanges have been unbundled by esat?

its fairly limited to 40 exchanges nationwide, most of them in dublin and cork and some towns onit are Tullamore, Athlone, Galway, Navan, Drogheda, Greystones, Gorey, Wexford, Waterford and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Could eircom/esat/utv make people pay more for their broadband if they choose?

I heard the last upgrade eircom did, people were up on a higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Not without signing/agreeing to a new contract.

The last upgrade, every ISP dropped their prices but offered a "better" service for the old prices, if people wanted to choose the cheaper, "lesser" service they had to request it. Otherwise they were left on the more expensive options.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think they might introduce a new residential product, but at a higher price bracket. 65 a month or something equally as silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

vishal wrote:
    what exchanges have been unbundled by esat?

Here's a list of them...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142107

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

dlofnep wrote:
    Esat plan on doing this?
    I don't know. I'm inclined to think that they will do something with their 40 (I incorrectly said 25 earlier) exchanges rather than bitstream since the usual pattern if for Eircom to make the big announcement on bitstream then, after a bit of muttering, the other companies follow suit.

Esat being innovative would be surprising to say the least but using their already enabled exchanges is an option open to them.

I would also expect some announcement from Eircom. They may push up the speed of the middle package (the 55 euro one) to 1 meg. On the previous two occasions that they have announced changes they made sure that they stole the limelight. They could do this without any extra cost to themselves. A 1 meg 48:1 service is exactly the same as a 512k 24:1 one in terms of operating costs and bandwidth.

All this assumes that there's some truth to the email sent to someone here that that Esat plan some announcement on the 9th. If not a lie, it could just be a mistake on the part of the sender within Esat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

I'll be a rebel and say that if EsatBT/iol don't do something dramatic and bring us up to whats on offer in the
    UK@1048/256 nevermind France@20480/1024

....bliss....I'll quit their service before their trial runs out and just live in ignorance until Smart Broadband or something resembling real broadband(higher speed/no cap) comes to town!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

diarmo wrote:
    I'll be a rebel and say that if EsatBT/iol don't do something dramatic and bring us up to whats on offer in the
    UK@1048/256 nevermind France@20480/1024

....bliss....I'll quit their service before their trial runs out and just live in ignorance until Smart Broadband or something resembling real broadband(higher speed/no cap) comes to town!!!

Ah ... so you plan to live in ignorance for a very long time............ ;)

X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

He can be a "Rebel Without a Yell" :D

causal

Advertisement