Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Message Monitor plugin for firefox!

Options
  • 03-01-2005 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have created a firefox extension that will monitor your private message and subscriptions. As well as give you other features. With Admins approval I am releasing it for general use.

The instructions are contained within the zip file on how to install it and use it.

PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING BELOW.

If you use this extension then please put a reply to this thread. This is for tracking (in case I need to change something in the plugin). Its been tested and odds on it won't cause any problems with boards but in the event it does I want to be able to warn those who are using it.

It is also recommended you subscribe to this thread so you can see of any issues/changes later on

Also any comments good/bad/what to change would be great.

[edit] Updated it so you can change the functionality of how it opens pages. See the instructions file for more details.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

*obligatory response*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

seems to be working perfectly :)
    nice piece of work Hobbes

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yo, if there are supposed to be icons with this, they're not showing up for me.
    Firefox 1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Its working fine for me. Thanks Hobbes :)

The only suggestion I can think of is an option to allow the plugin use the active window/tab when opening pages instead of new windows/tabs.

@CuLT: Did you look at the very bottom right of the window? There should be a "B" there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Seems to be working fine.

Thanks man. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

nice piece of software hobbes
    cheers,it seems to be running smoothly

To my recall, there's supposed to be an icon for each of the 6 options shown when you click on the icon.

Can everyone else see them? Could be a problem with the beta version that was installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

CuLT wrote:
    To my recall, there's supposed to be an icon for each of the 6 options shown when you click on the icon.

Can everyone else see them? Could be a problem with the beta version that was installed.

bottum right hand corner, its a little blue symbol. Pretty feicing cool hobbes.

No, look I see the blue icon, what I DON'T see is the rest of them.

boardspm.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ok well mine has icons, yours is truely fuked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Mine has no icons either. Just installed it. Great idea, well done Hobbes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Nice work, now if i only had some PM's to check..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No icons here either.

Good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

No icons on mine either, took me a while to figure out where it was.

have you any idea how this would behave between 3am and 3.20 am

will it cause any problems if it is not able to log into boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no icons here either but good work otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ok I'll try to answer some questions.
    The only suggestion I can think of is an option to allow the plugin use the active window/tab when opening pages instead of new windows/tabs.

I can do this. I will see if I can make it like firefox (center mouse click = new tab). Also a preference setting you have to set manually for the left click (see about:config URL).
    No icons on mine

.. Ok I checked into this.

Your theme in firefox has to support menu icons (have them switched on) or you will not see the icons beside the menu options.

Tested this on "Firefox (default)" and the menu icons vanished. Tested it on "Lure" (again non icon one) and it displayed the same behaviour. Then tried "Noia 2.0 (Extreme)" and the icons displayed fine.

Generally check your file/tools menu. If they don't have icons then my extension won't have icons.
    will it cause any problems if it is not able to log into boards.ie

Shouldn't. Generally if Javascript dies, it just dies and mozilla works fine (which makes it a pain debugging tbh) but haven't tested that yet. Worse comes to worse you can just set the extensions autocheck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

its not showing at all on mine, no B :/

Do you have the status bar showing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

yes of course i do :)

What version of firefox are you using? Is it the gold version. Open the extensions list (Tools->Extensions), is it showing as active there? What theme are you using?

• Advertisement

Just to let people know if anyone misses it. Plugin has been updated with an option now to adjust how it opens the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Nice one Hobbes, cheers.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Excellent stuff Hobbes, very impressive, thanks :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Perhaps we should have a board for Firefox extensions (coding and locating useful ones from the net)?

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    Perhaps we should have a board for Firefox extensions (coding and locating useful ones from the net)?

DeV.

I've been using the programming forum for dev related stuff (that and mozillazine). For extensions computer forum is grand. Not sure it would warrant the traffic to create a new board just now.

I plan to do next a FOAF viewer as the XML output on the boards.ie link bugs me. :) Although I have no timeframe on that.

Hobbes, thats an execelent little add on-cheers.
    One comment though, I like the way the icon goes green when you have a new private message, but it doesn't seem to be in a hurry to change back to blue after you have read your messages.
    I'd read a couple of boards pages and it was still telling me I had new messages and was green even though I'd read them and replied to one of them.
    It's gone blue again now though.

It only checks the status every 5 minutes. I wanted to keep down the amount of traffic it would generate to boards. It was my only real concern with the plugin.

You can hover your mouse over and check the tooltip text. The total will change if there are more messages. Best I can do for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

nice piece of software,
    installed first time ,
    activated on firefox restart,
    all icons present,
    and alerts working.

Well done and thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dragged the file into firefox.. installed, restarted firefox.. and nothing

should I do it again?

• Advertisement

Mordeth wrote:
    i dragged the file into firefox.. installed, restarted firefox.. and nothing

should I do it again?

Someone else mentioned something similar earlier.

1. Go to Extensions view (tools-extensions) and you should see it in the list. If it failed to install it should be in the list but say "Will be uninstalled after next restart". I need to know if it is even there. It be the boards.ie logo with a mail beside it.

2. Try the file-open menu method. Some plugins intercept drag and drops.

3. Do you have the status bar showing? What version of FF is it? (only works on the gold released version). What theme are you using? Did you shut down all the firefox windows? (sometimes there is a firefox left in memory, see your task manager).

4. If the extension is in the list right click it and select about. Does the about screen appear? Does Firefox crash after it does (hangs and has to be forced closed). If so it could be a corrupted download. This is unlikely to happen though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement