Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first novel - now on Amazon

Options
  • 09-11-2016 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Hi all ... been a while since I've been here ... been scribbling .... scribbled 130,000 words and the rescribbled and rescribbled until I was happy-ish!!

Now it's done - phew

It's called 'After the Affair' by Jonathan Kaye - (Oh and there's adult content - I just read the charter, and it seems I gotta say that here.)

Here's a link. Remember you don't need a Kindle to read - you can just download the free Kindle app from Amazon and read the book on any device.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N09ZG5P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478720805&sr=8-1&keywords=jonathan+kaye

I really need a few reviews to get the ball rolling on selling / promoting etc - so I'd be very very very very grateful if anyone might oblige. Also - if you're skint and want a copy of the full book but can't afford to buy just send me a pm and I'll get it to you in return for a review. (I can send as PDF / epub / azw3 file.)

Thanks for having a look - appreciate all the help I can get :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ooh. I remember the bit I read.

I'm going to buy that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Das Kitty - you're an uberstar - thank you :-) :-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Congratulations! :)

wu-hoooo - just got my first review on Goodreads (by someone I don't even know) and it might just be the highlight of my writing career lol.

I'm so chuffed with it, I'm posting it here and I'm claiming my Warholian fifteen minutes and I'm smiling like a loon.

I don't care if I'll only ever sell thirteen copies .... I got a five star review from someone who's not my mother and that is all there is to it. I am now officially the best novelist ever in the history of novelism.

Here it is ..... I need a trumpet fanfare .... hang on, I'm just gonna read it again before posting it ....

"An epic thriller! If I could award a 6 star rating I would.
    After the Affair is the one of the most compelling page turners I've read in years.

Intriguing, brilliant writing accompany a fabulous plot.
    After the Affair is amazingly fast paced, with vividly rich three dimensional characters,a brilliantly articulated narrative and super dialogue which herald the way for shocking twists & turns galore.
    One of the most suspense fueled thrillers I've ever encountered.
    After the Affair is spine tingling experience, filled riveting with tension and suspense.
    This book is highly atmospheric and its primary atmosphere is one of palpable tension; almost every page I turned transported me into David Ryan's world and left me feeling the knife edge that he was living.

Jonathan Kaye shooting star of the highest calibre.
    Such a spectacular writer, his official title should be storyteller extraordinaire.
    His writing transcends all the usual genre classifications.
    Inter genre master: an expert of the thriller, mystery and crime genres.
    Looking forward to reading more Jonathan Kaye books."

(I think I'll print it out and frame it :-) :-))))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

alfa beta wrote: »
    (I think I'll print it out and frame it :-) :-))))

Do, do, do.
    I can't wait to read it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Based on that review I'm going to buy it!

I've just bought it! Looking forward to a good read. I'll review it as soon as i can!

Just finished the first chapter- adult content alright but the writing is excellent. I can't wait to read a bit more.

Thanks Kalimah - both for the purchase and the comment - hope you find the rest of the book a good read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Amazing stuff alfa beta. Congratulations.

I've published on Amazon myself so kudos for putting it out there.

I must say, the cover is exceptionally striking. Was it Lime Tree that arranged all of that?

Best of luck.

Thanks Dangermouse - putting your writing up for sale is somewhat intimidating isn't it?! One friend of mine said showing her scribbles to other people felt a bit like taking all your clothes off and standing in front of them and saying, 'so, there you go, what do you think?!' ... and it's true, it is a bit like that.

So far, reaction from friends has been good and the reviews from people I don't know - one from Goodreads as quoted above and one on Amazon.com (as opposed to .co.uk) - have been very positive, so at least I don't feel embarrassed about what I've done!

Unfortunately some glitch with amazon.co.uk means their 'look inside' function (where a reader can read the first few chapters online for free) doesn't appear to be working on mobile devices (works fine on amazon.com across all devices). I'm hoping this will be fixed soon as I'd like to start promoting the book and I know the best market to start with would be Ire/UK.

Thanks for the compliment on the cover btw - that's just done in 'Pages' on a mac using a royalty free image. (Lime Tree was the company name I used to use for copywriting jobs so I stuck with it for my foray into self-publishing :))

• Advertisement

I'm nearly 20% in and loving it so far. I don't think there's hardly a word I would change except " might" for "may" used once , though I think "may" seems to be what everyone uses now. i'm a bit old fashioned!

The whole think just flows along so well- there's a lovely balance between description and dialogue. I can visualize all the locations too which I like. The whole thing is just so real- really well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SanfranCal

Congratulations, Alfa Beta.  You can now officially call yourself an author!  It takes a lot of courage to wake up one morning and say I am going to be a writer.
    Just so you know, Amazon.com now has two 5-star ratings for your novel -- Amazon.com being the USA website.
    I need to get myself a Kindle!  Good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Warning. Do not start this novel unless you have time to keep reading.

I started with the intention of only reading the first chapter and couldn't stop until I had to give in and go to bed long after midnight. Can't wait to get back to finish it. Really gripping.
    Well done.

Thanks for the feedback kalimah and Echo Beach - hope you're still enjoying the read - hey, if you spot any typos, please shout. I've been proofreading it again over the past couple of days and picked up a few howlers - that's the great thing about e-books, you can edit and change them even when they're live and re-upload. I've read it so many times now I can't imagine there's much left that's slipped through the net, but you never know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Never visited this forum before, but spotted it on my home page so popped in.

I'm always looking for a good read, so I've just purchased your book. I'll give it a review as soon as I've finished it.
    Looking forward to reading it based on reviews here!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Congrats on the book. I just purchased it on Kindle so will start making my way through.

wow - thanks angel daisy and pawwed rig - really appreciate that - hope you both find it a good read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

It's doing really well - 39,737 might sound pretty low in the charts, but it really isn't when you think how many Kindle books are available.

I'm going to read and review - but probably not this side of Christmas.

thanks livvie - I actually remember you saying something about needing 'rhino-hide skin' when you first published your book (sorry, can't remember the name but it was about a guy called Luke and the writing was stunning). Have you got any of that Rhino-hide left ... I could do with some lol!

I'm 65% of the way through- I left my Kindle in the office last night and was really disappointed I couldn't read more! I absolutely love the whole story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just bought it

Thanks Kalimah - so glad you're liking it - it really steps up a gear now until the end :) And thanks Lawred, really appreciate the purchase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

alfa beta wrote: »
    thanks livvie - I actually remember you saying something about needing 'rhino-hide skin' when you first published your book (sorry, can't remember the name but it was about a guy called Luke and the writing was stunning). Have you got any of that Rhino-hide left ... I could do with some lol!

Thank you! I'm surprised - and extremely flattered - that you remembered both my comment, and some of the book detail. And thanks too, for being so complimentary.

Am looking forward to getting my teeth into yours - this will help me with my post Christmas breakdown, that I'm managing to put off until at least 27th December!

I'm three quarters of the way through! I literally cannot put it down. I have a suspicion about one of the main characters not being quite as they seem. I won't say any more! It would make a great two or three part TV drama I think. I wonder would any of the film production companies be interested? And it should be in the shops too. If I was a publisher I'd publish it in the morning and there's hardly a word I'd change. I'd be delighted if I'd written it!

I have just finished it!!!! All I can say is wow!!! I'm so impressed by it. Just two observations that you might have changed already alfa beta- Euston station should be Houston, and towards the end when you were talking about a brand of car- I would change that to marque.
    I'm going to miss the characters so much . I loved Hayes by the way! If someone doesn't make this into a movie or a tv special I'll eat my hat.

Thanks Kalimah - I'm so glad you liked it - (and thanks for the nod re Euston / Houston - getting my cities mixed up ... I also had another boardsie point out a misspelling of Glasnevin - it's great to have you eagle eyed readers out there because I can update the Kindle version as many times as I like :-) )

Do please spread the word among friends etc - being self-published I have literally no marketing or advertising budget. All I've got is a book and word of mouth (i.e. the same marketing tools as a few million other aspiring writers on amazon!!!)

Chuffed you liked Hayes btw - He was great fun to write!!

I've already recommended it to a few people- and will to many more!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Heuston Station, No?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Kalimah wrote: »
    I have just finished it!!!! All I can say is wow!!! I'm so impressed by it. Just two observations that you might have changed already alfa beta- Euston station should be Houston, and towards the end when you were talking about a brand of car- I would change that to marque.
    I'm going to miss the characters so much . I loved Hayes by the way! If someone doesn't make this into a movie or a tv special I'll eat my hat.

If its based in dublin its Heuston station not Houston!

• Advertisement

thanks guys - I realised what Kalimah meant - I'd left the H of Heuston - now corrected for future downloaders (the beauty of ebooks eh!!)

Advertisement