Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

National demonstration against the rising cost of insurance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think anyone would notice I someone tried to block the m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

I'm sure people would notice that the traffic is standstill. For an hour. At 8am in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You don't travel the M50 much then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,505 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Blocking the M50 is a stupid idea. It's just inconveniencing the very people who are being screwed by the insurance hikes and they need more hassle like a hole in the head, why don't they just key their cars as they sit on the blocked M50, that would teach them for paying excessive insurance premiums.

Surely any protest would need to be brought to the insurance companies and blockade their offices or similar that impacts on their daily activity. Maybe <snip> etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

The insurance issue needs to be tackled for sure, is this the way to do it? I'm not so sure. I agree with the poster above, blocking other road users may not be the way to go but converging on Leinster House is a good idea. Time to pressure the political parties into acting in this free for all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The issue is the cost and frequency of claims. High premiums are a result of these. No insurer is cleaning up financially.

Slashing court awards and legal fees is the only way forward.

Blocking any road is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Not a bad idea in theory but realistically it'll end up with a load of scroates achtung da cvnt and insurance co's will just turn around and say 'point proven'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I'll bring a few cones!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Corvo

The issue is the cost and frequency of claims. High premiums are a result of these. No insurer is cleaning up financially.

Exactly, the changes must come from those above the insurance companies, i.e. regulators and namely the government.

Quick example - whiplash in Ireland results in an average settlement of €14,000. In the UK that is approx £4,000 - £5,000. Even less in Scotland.

That's not the fault of the insurance companies, thats due to court awards etc.

Hence the rising insurance premiums in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Block the entrances to every insurer's building in Dublin for a day
    Demand management answering why there are such increases

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Corvo wrote: »
    Exactly, the changes must come from those above the insurance companies, i.e. regulators and namely the government.

Quick example - whiplash in Ireland results in an average settlement of €14,000. In the UK that is approx £4,000 - £5,000. Even less in Scotland.

That's not the fault of the insurance companies, thats due to court awards etc.

Hence the rising insurance premiums in this country.

And not even a recognised condition in France so you zero compensation if you try and claim for it.

I don't entirely agree that the insurance companies aren't to blame. I have 25 years driving experience, zero claims ever, never had an accident and I've never had a penalty point or speeding ticket or even a parking ticket. I drive an 11 yr old car that I've owned for 5 years, it's a 2.0 Petrol Legacy. My insurance went up from €510 last year (full comp) to €780 this year which is roughly a 60% increase. It's completely unjustifiable and wrong and the insurance company are wholeheartedly and entirely to blame. I am not a risk yet I am penalised heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Blocking m50 is a bit too much I know, just an extreme measure.

But blocking their offices is a great idea.

I think ins. companies don't really pay that much on compensations so they have to raise the premiums the way they do. Didn't they admit (somewhere) that they want more profits and it's not about more claims?

I used to have a 1.0 Micra and paid anually 400 euro, renewal in January was 650 euro. I asked him in the office why is it going up by +-60% and he couldn't give me an answer. What a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Maybe if Paul murphy got involved they'd do a way with insurance all together:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

A few straight piped V8s and some revs outside insurance offices :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

And not even a recognised condition in France so you zero compensation if you try and claim for it.

I'd imagine they don't recognise sprains,strains,cuts,grazes etc due to third party negligence either so. Where is the line between "sorry about that, should really have covered that hole, ah well walk it off lad" and "yeah you might be entitled to compensation for physio etc" - broken bones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

The claim culture has just ran rampant throughout this country.

I had someone roll into the front of my parked car (I had two witnesses inside), other driver gets out, apologizes etc, I wave her off as there was literally not a scratch or anything on either car - it rolled into the front of mine at snail-like speed ffs!

Two weeks later she claims that I hit her car from the rear and has whiplash, my insurance company seemingly ignores my witnesses (and assessors opinions that there wasn't even any sort of incident!!) and she's just been paid her compensation and I've had my no claims bonus shafted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The claim culture has just ran rampant throughout this country.

I had someone roll into the front of my parked car (I had two witnesses inside), other driver gets out, apologizes etc, I wave her off as there was literally not a scratch or anything on either car - it rolled into the front of mine at snail-like speed ffs!

Two weeks later she claims that I hit her car from the rear and has whiplash, my insurance company seemingly ignores my witnesses (and assessors opinions that there wasn't even any sort of incident!!) and she's just been paid her compensation and I've had my no claims bonus shafted. :)

Appeal the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

biko wrote: »
    Block the entrances to every insurer's building in Dublin for a day
    Demand management answering why there are such increases

And they will tell you it's due to the cost of claims. The figures are available and very few (if any) insurers in Ireland are making any money from car insurance.

It's not what people want to hear but we've come out of a period where three companies (Quinn, 123.ie/RSA & Setanta) pitched prices below what was sustainable long term and everyone else followed suit to be competitive. Two of these essentially went bust and the third was bailed out to the tune of some €250 million by it's UK parent.

We now have a situation where the increasing cost of claims and the return to more normal pricing has resulted in sudden, sharp increases.

Protesting outside a personal injury lawyers office would be more appropriate.

longshanks wrote: »
    Appeal the decision.

I've been onto my solicitor who informed me that it's not worth pursuing, I have a years ncb since, but the fact it's been settled paid out etc, there's no way to prove someone doesn't have whiplash and that's what these goons do...

Still astounded at the audacity from her to go through with that, hope karma ravages her tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I've been onto my solicitor who informed me that it's not worth pursuing, I have a years ncb since, but the fact it's been settled paid out etc, there's no way to prove someone doesn't have whiplash and that's what these goons do...

Still astounded at the audacity from her to go through with that, hope karma ravages her tbh.

Dont get me wrong but you should get dash cam.It can solve maaany problems with dodgy drivers .Believe me.:cool:

I'm getting it on my next car when I get it hopefully within a week. Just irked me that she had no witnesses and I still was screwed over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

EXACTLY.

Its not just motor claims that are crippling the industry either.

I saw a claim this morning that involved a woman in a night club that attempted to do a back flip and ended up landing on her head and split herself open.

Now the injuries were severe and will likely result in life long scarring but it was COMPLETELY her own doing.

She has brought a case against the owners for a breach of duty of care, there is an outstanding reserve of €100k plus costs on the case.

Of course the company will defend the claim but that's not the point, its the mentality of people.

A fcuking idiot smashes herself up because of her own stupidity alone yet still has the gall to try and get compo for it.

That's the mentality that insurance companies are dealing with on a daily basis.

Until the court system gets reformed and nonsense cases like the one mentioned above get thrown out there will be no changes.

And IMO there will be no changes to that because of the parasitic legal system and the ineptitude of the judges making the awards.

There is too much money in it for the legal system.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/irish-motor-insurers-are-charging-more-to-boost-profits-1.2631682

The motor insurance industry is raising the cost of premiums to “boost profitability” in the wake of the economic downturn, Minister for Transport Paschal Donohoe has been advised by officials.
    The Injuries Board showed a “modest” 8 per cent increase in new claims for 18 months to the middle of last year, while in a 10-year period from its establishment in 2004 “70 per cent of personal injury claims are no longer litigated”.

So, don't believe the hype folks. Ireland is a very expense place for any medical or legal type stuff. The answer is to fix our broken systems, not to decide that payouts will only be given in the case of permanent debilitation or death.
    I'm sure anyone who has had a slip or trip or fall and fell a strain or sprain afterwards knows that soft tissue injuries do exist and can occur from fairly low velocity stuff depending on individual physiology and just pure bad luck. The fact that they can be treated quickly, efficiently and professionally in countries with real health systems doesn't mean people here shouldn't be looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Blocking the M50 perhaps? Would be better to do that during the week.

It's an asshole thing to do and won't get any support apart from those partaking in it.

What the hell do the organisers think that would achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kiangriffin

Hi Guys, I'm the one organising this. We have no intention of blocking up the M50, we'll try to avoid it as much as possible. We'll be going directly into the city. We chose a Saturday as more people are available to go without having to rearrange work commitments and it also will have less of an impact on the ordinary workers of Dublin.
    The idea is to show numbers, not disrupt everyone. Also we are very adamant that anyone coming along will not be allowed to do any messing in their cars whatsoever. That message is being drilled to all the local organisers. Any messing would (obviously) be counter productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hi Guys, I'm the one organising this. We have no intention of blocking up the M50, we'll try to avoid it as much as possible. We'll be going directly into the city. We chose a Saturday as more people are available to go without having to rearrange work commitments and it also will have less of an impact on the ordinary workers of Dublin.
    The idea is to show numbers, not disrupt everyone. Also we are very adamant that anyone coming along will not be allowed to do any messing in their cars whatsoever. That message is being drilled to all the local organisers. Any messing would (obviously) be counter productive.

Presumably you have done your home work on the insurance industry?

You would be familiar with Solvency 2, the collapse of Setanta, the changes to district and circuit court awards that have more than doubled the limits that can be awarded, the prevalence of claims farming, the requirement that insurance companies have to reimburse the social welfare system for claimants, the increased costs of reinsurance, the worldwide financial downturn that has resulted in significant reductions in interest rates that means previously profitable investment streams for insurers are now near useless.

You know, the things that are effecting the insurance industry rates.

Im sure you are completely au fait with all of that and have a cast iron way that insurers can write policies and not lose money.

Instead of protesting you should contact the biggest insurers in the world because they will pay you what ever you want for information like that.

• Advertisement

Presumably you have done your home work on the insurance industry?

You would be familiar with Solvency 2, the collapse of Setanta, the changes to district and circuit court awards that have more than doubled the limits that can be awarded, the prevalence of claims farming, the requirement that insurance companies have to reimburse the social welfare system for claimants, the increased costs of reinsurance, the worldwide financial downturn that has resulted in significant reductions in interest rates that means previously profitable investment streams for insurers are now near useless.

You know, the things that are effecting the insurance industry rates.

Im sure you are completely au fait with all of that and have a cast iron way that insurers can write policies and not lose money.

Instead of protesting you should contact the biggest insurers in the world because they will pay you what ever you want for information like that.

Would ye be open to releasing any kinda sanitized facts and figures? Top 10 loaded everyday cars. Top 10 loaded areas. Top 10 loaded occupations?

There's a lot of opacity for something people are legally obliged to spend 800 on average on.

Advertisement