Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestant/Catholic megathread

Options
  • 05-05-2016 8:43am
    Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭

From first mega-thread:
    PDN wrote: »
    OK. A number of posters are becoming frustrated at how multiple threads are being dragged into squabbles about whether Catholicism or Protestantism is right or wrong. Some of the sectarianism on display has, in my own opinion, been an awful advert for Christianity.

So, in order to protect the Forum and facilitate on topic discussions, all that stuff now belongs here. Anyone who keeps trying to rile up Catholics or Protestants in other threads will be warned, and if those warnings are ignored then swift infractions and bans will ensue.

So how does this work? It will still be in order, if a poster asks a question, to say, "This is my belief as a Catholic/Methodist/Anglican etc.". It is OK to ask posters to clarify their beliefs, so as to avoid misunderstanding. The mods will be the judge of whether that crosses the line into a squabble.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Unfortunately the differences between Catholic and Protestant are well embedded in the genes in Ireland. To consider the religious aspect, most Christians adhere to the branch of Christianity they were baptised in, with some exceptions of course.

It follows then that our particular beliefs have been decided by chance at the particular baptismal font. Proclaiming our version of Christianity is the 'correct one' is, either overtly or subtly, stating that the 'other guy' is 'incorrect'.

No matter whether we are Catholic or Protestant or indeed any other religion , we all are 'the other guy' too. I would suggest we are 'all right' provided we are sincere in our respective beliefs - we will be judged according to our particular 'light', ie what we were shown to be true.

Just a thought and an opinion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Yeah, unfortunately a section entitled "Christianity" is going to corral posters who are Catholic and posters who are Protestant (of all it's denominations) in to the one section of this site.

And when both separate belief systems get coralled in to the same category it is going to lead to ascertains made being tested.

It's my own personal view that the site consider opening a Catholic category for the site - and this will allow space for Catholics to discuss issues and free up the entire Christianity section for Protestants (and all it's denominations) to discuss issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

hinault wrote: »
    Yeah, unfortunately a section entitled "Christianity" is going to corral posters who are Catholic and posters who are Protestant (of all it's denominations) in to the one section of this site.

And when both separate belief systems get coralled in to the same category it is going to lead to ascertains made being tested.

It's my own personal view that the site consider opening a Catholic category for the site - and this will allow space for Catholics to discuss issues and free up the entire Christianity section for Protestants (and all it's denominations) to discuss issues.

What about those of us who aren't Protestant ?

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

MOD NOTE

If people wish to ask for a Catholic forum, please go to Forum Requests and make your case.

Might be worth reading previous request before making the request to better make your case.

Now back on topic please.

Thanks for your attention.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Takes away from the entire point of a discussion site though. If people asked questions of your belief in a potential Catholic forum would you ignore them and put them on your list too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

Good morning!

I see the fact that the Christianity forum is multi-denominational. We should be more interested in the gospel of Jesus Christ rather than a particular church particularly with the advance of atheism and other religious philosophical systems in society. I feel that Roman Catholics need to understand that the days of their privilege in Irish society are over and they need to engage with Irish society in a fresh way. Why not grab the opportunity to do that and to learn from other Christians?

I make no apologies that I am a Protestant and that I stand wholeheartedly for the cause of the Reformation and continued Reformation in our churches. It is unlikely that I will ever become a Roman Catholic, but I do hope to understand.

I think we should reason things through together for the benefit of understanding in a loving tone. The feeling I get often from this forum is that people sneer and look down at my particular understanding of Christianity. We should be using this opportunity to build each other up with our speech (Ephesians 4:29).

Why not use our corralling as a good thing rather than using it to point score? I've seen this on the thread about the decline of Christianity in England and Wales in particular.

If the Christianity forum just becomes a place for denominational willy waving about who is the best, then it's not a fruitful place for anyone.

Much thanks in the Lord Jesus Christ,
    solodeogloria

Good morning!

I see the fact that the Christianity forum is multi-denominational. We should be more interested in the gospel of Jesus Christ rather than a particular church particularly with the advance of atheism and other religious philosophical systems in society. I feel that Roman Catholics need to understand that the days of their privilege in Irish society are over and they need to engage with Irish society in a fresh way. Why not grab the opportunity to do that and to learn from other Christians?

I make no apologies that I am a Protestant and that I stand wholeheartedly for the cause of the Reformation and continued Reformation in our churches. It is unlikely that I will ever become a Roman Catholic, but I do hope to understand.

I think we should reason things through together for the benefit of understanding in a loving tone. The feeling I get often from this forum is that people sneer and look down at my particular understanding of Christianity. We should be using this opportunity to build each other up with our speech (Ephesians 4:29).

Why not use our corralling as a good thing rather than using it to point score? I've seen this on the thread about the decline of Christianity in England and Wales in particular.

If the Christianity forum just becomes a place for denominational willy waving about who is the best, then it's not a fruitful place for anyone.

solodeogloria

Well put solo. :)
    Unfortunately there are those who assert that the RCC is the one true church,failing to recognise that there was a church before anything even began in Rome, never mind an organised denomination. As a result of this view, there is the mindset that the rest of us are heretical and worthy of burning at the stake.
    That we dare to not fall into line with the doctrines of the RCC is one thing but to have the audacity to challenge it's teachings in the light if scripture deserves nothing more than to be sneered at and ignored.
    Thankfully, there was always a church outside of the main denominations that held as much as possible to the truth and as a consequence suffered for the sake of the gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

This might not be the best place to ask this question, but here goes.
    On the radio this morning some Olympian swimmer from the USA was being interviewed.
    When asked about his family, he replied that his father's side was Greek, and his mother's side were Scotch-Irish.
    Is this code for Presbyterian? You hear it referred to occasionally, usually in relation to people in America, but I've never been sure what Scotch Irish actually is?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    On the radio this morning some Olympian swimmer from the USA was being interviewed.
    When asked about his family, he replied that his father's side was Greek, and his mother's side were Scotch-Irish.
    Is this code for Presbyterian? You hear it referred to occasionally, usually in relation to people in America, but I've never been sure what Scotch Irish actually is?

Ive never heard of such as code. I would assume the S-I referral is to do with ancestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

Nekarsulm wrote: »

A Potted History of the Scots-Irish (Scotch refers to whiskey :) )

This refers to Scottish settlers who settled in Northern Ireland, then, a generation or two later, emigrated to America (for both economic and religious freedom issues). They were the first great wave of Irish immigrants to the US, but their descendants later designated themselves as 'Scots-Irish' to differentiate themselves from later waves of immigration during the Famine.

Millions of Americans are descended from these settlers, and they did, of course, provide the first Irish-American President (not John F Kennedy, but Andrew Jackson, whose parents were from near Carrickfergus).

The Scots-Irish were initially Presbyterian, but that soon changed in a generation or so. Although they entered America through places like Delaware, they formed the backbone of settlements in the Appalachians and the South. There were no universities there, and Presbyterian ministers at that time had to be College-educated. So most of the Scots-Irish ended up as Baptist or Methodist - giving the Bible Belt its religion and the music tradition of bluegrass (which spawned the musical Gehenna of Country and Western). They also became pretty good at making moonshine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

You mean splitting the Christianity forum something like this?

Rough example . . .

Christianity - Roman Catholic.
    Christianity - R.C. (Latin Mass).
    Christianity - Protestant/Anglican.
    Christianity - Protestant/Methodist.
    Christianity - Protestant/Presbyterian.
    Christianity - Protestant/Lutheran.
    Christianity - Protestant/Coptic.
    Christianity - Protestant/Evangelical.

Personally I think the Christian family of denominations have far too much in common than to start seperating us into different Christian forums. Admittedly I have no idea about a lot of specific Roman Catholic topics/issues which might involve RC dogma, Saints, Miracles, five Solas, Novena's, Miraculous medals etc, but I do find it interesting to have a look in, even if I can't contribute! and I guess the reverse applies too, with a lot of RC posters learning things about us Prods and our avenues of Christianity. And at the end of the day, we're all Christians . . . .

LordSutch wrote: »
    You mean splitting the Christianity forum something like this?

Rough example . . .

Christianity - Roman Catholic.
    Christianity - R.C. (Latin Mass).
    Christianity - Protestant/Anglican.
    Christianity - Protestant/Methodist.
    Christianity - Protestant/Presbyterian.
    Christianity - Protestant/Lutheran.
    Christianity - Protestant/Coptic.
    Christianity - Protestant/Evangelical.

Personally I think the Christian family of denominations have far too much in common than to start seperating us into different Christian forums. Admittedly I have no idea about a lot of specific Roman Catholic topics/issues which might involve RC dogma, Saints, Miracles, five Solas, Novena's, Miraculous medals etc, but I do find it interesting to have a look in, even if I can't contribute! and I guess the reverse applies too, with a lot of RC posters learning things about us Prods and our avenues of Christianity. And at the end of the day, we're all Christians . . . .

You left out the rest of us who are Christian - non denominational who wouldnt consider ourselves any shade of protestant :)

LordSutch wrote: »

Yes, there is a huge amount of aspects to the Catholic Church.

If each of these aspects was all posted to a separate Catholic category on this site, it would be much easier for you to find this information because it would be condensed for you therein - instead of you having to read through reams of posts by non-Catholic christians in the Christianity section of this site to try to locate the information that you seek.

If each of these aspects was all posted to a separate Catholic category on this site, it would be much easier for you to find this information because it would be condensed for you therein - instead of you having to read through reams of posts by non-Catholic christians in the Christianity section of this site to try to locate the information that you seek.

As he cant see this, all I can say that in seeking this hinault is doing nothing but causing division in Christianity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

Good evening!

I'm sorry that you find Protestants and evangelicals such a pain, but we do exist and we do love and serve Jesus and we've got every right to be on this forum.

solodeogloria

Good evening!

I'm sorry that you find Protestants and evangelicals such a pain, but we do exist and we do love and serve Jesus and we've got every right to be on this forum.

solodeogloria

I agree that you have every right to be here.

I've never said that you've no right to be here!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained - trying to get 25 signatures might be a problem as I doubt there are that many Christians, of any hue posting here, never mind Catholics who might support you. However, if you go for it you can have a +1 from me.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained - trying to get 25 signatures might be a problem as I doubt there are that many Christians, of any hue posting here, never mind Catholics who might support you. However, if you go for it you can have a +1 from .me.

Ah I don't know.... I'd support hinault just to get rid of him and off to his own Little sub forum. :)
    Can we get one called Hinaults sub forum, all for him...precedence is set with kneemos getting his own thread elsewhere

Ah I don't know.... I'd support hinault just to get rid of him and off to his own Little sub forum. :)
    Can we get one called Hinaults sub forum, all for him...precedence is set with kneemos getting his own thread elsewhere

That's +2 now - you may be on a roll here Hinault - any more support for Hinault's Catholic sub-forum ?????????? Maybe some of our atheist friends might throw in a few +1's as well.

That's +2 now - you may be on a roll here Hinault - any more support for Hinault's Catholic sub-forum ?????????? Maybe some of our atheist friends might throw in a few +1's as well.

Can someone tell hinault that this needs to go to forum requests? ;)

• Advertisement

Can someone tell hinault that this needs to go to forum requests? ;)

It's already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We talk about this regularly. Herself brings the kids to mass an odd time and I've fallen away near completly now, we'd be considered Catholic.

But like sooo many Catholics I know we no more believe that the communion has been turned into the body of Christ than we believe the moon is made of cheese. This fact alone really means we're more aligned with Protestantism than Catholicism, but we're interested in neither to the extent that we'd change religion.

It's already there.

Looks like its already been rejected. have we any right of appeal:D ? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057603107

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

You left out the rest of us who are Christian - non denominational who wouldnt consider ourselves any shade of protestant :)

And there are men who think they are women; women who think they are men; people who think they are things other than human....and you all belong in the same place...a padded room:D

And there are men who think they are women; women who think they are men; people who think they are things other than human....and you all belong in the same place...a padded room:D

You assume I've not been there already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

If you haven't been...you must go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Looks like its already been rejected. have we any right of appeal:D ? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057603107

There was a certain sense of inevitability in the rejection. If one considers each new request for the separate forum to be an appeal of the previous rejection, then it could be said that this has already been appealed several times.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

_Brian wrote: »
    We talk about this regularly. Herself brings the kids to mass an odd time and I've fallen away near completly now, we'd be considered Catholic.

But like sooo many Catholics I know we no more believe that the communion has been turned into the body of Christ than we believe the moon is made of cheese. This fact alone really means we're more aligned with Protestantism than Catholicism, but we're interested in neither to the extent that we'd change religion.

But of course you wouldn't be changing your religion, just your Christian denomination within Christianity. If you like music and you're good singers, then you should certainly check us out :))

We also have Sunday school too! lots of colouring books, drawing, painting etc for the kids . . .

PS: We're also of the catholic Church, but with a small c.

MrPudding wrote: »
    There was a certain sense of inevitability in the rejection. If one considers each new request for the separate forum to be an appeal of the previous rejection, then it could be said that this has already been appealed several times.

MrP

Do you want to put in a request for an RC forum Mr P ?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Do you want to put in a request for an RC forum Mr P ?:)

No, I'll pass, thanks. I see the request as just a little short of sectarianism. I appreciate that some might not like reading about and interacting with other religious beliefs. Whilst it might be a silly comparison (I'll make it anyway), I am from Northern Ireland, and I think a lot of the trouble we see there stems from a very similar attitude. Separate school, separate shops in some areas, separate football team, separate politicians. It is ridiculous and it isn't helpful. This is just an extension of that kind of attitude, and it is unhelpful.

Aside from the fact that I don't agree with it in principle, I think it is a silly idea in practical terms too. There isn't a huge amount of footfall in this forum, and I see no evidence to suggest that this change would change that. Splitting a not very busy forum into two forums just seems like a recipe to kill at least one of them off. Added to that, where does it stop? There are over 33 thousand flavours of christianity, how many forums would we need?

You guys are all supposedly christians, I find it difficult to understand why you can't just get along. I know us atheists have a reputation of be troublesome and problematic here (I know I am occasionally guilty of perhaps, maybe, sometime possibly, perhaps saying something I shouldn't) I do find that some of the nastiest stuff seem sot be blue on blue.

MrP

Advertisement