Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Laviski wrote: »
    just to let you know
    can't access the site when on french ip address. just display since January that your are being DDosed.

i'm actually being productive at work....
    please fix :)

Maybe it's due to something else, I'm in France and I've no problem with access.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

So you only visit the site rarely? And keep track of threads you have interest in through emails?

I visit the site when I get emails about new posts on threads that I've subscribed to. I used to get emails (when they worked properly) daily.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Laviski

Maybe it's due to something else, I'm in France and I've no problem with access.

i will double check the vpn but anytime trying to access this site, it won't load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Worztron wrote: »
    I visit the site when I get emails about new posts on threads that I've subscribed to. I used to get emails (when they worked properly) daily.

For the last 2 months you have just been posting pictures in the atheism humour thread and a handful other queries. Are you just getting emails about people posting pictures? Why not check the 'my threads' tab instead?

I don't get it. Ya ya ya people are different.
    It's adding an extra step to a simple process though.
    I check my mail twice a day but boards more if I'm posting in a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Worztron wrote: »
    Well then you're just wasting time and making life hard for yourself, same as everyone else that uses emails, ye don't know how to use the site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    I don't mean to be thick, and I appreciate that you prefer getting emails which is fair enough :), but can I ask what exactly doesn't work with those links? :confused: The first link will only show you your unread posts and PMs at the top of the page, and if you click on the little square with the arrow down on the left of the thread title it'll bring you to your first unread post, so there'd be no trawling. I'm genuinely puzzled...
    Well then you're just wasting time and making life hard for yourself, same as everyone else that uses emails, ye don't know how to use the site.

Maybe they just like to use it differently, each to their own, I suppose...

But I'd still like to know what they meant earlier on with 'those links don't work'... I've been trying to figure it out all afternoon and I'm still none the wiser...:o

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

I can see how it'd work for someone who doesn't visit the site often though, ask a question, get emailed a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I can see how it'd work for someone who doesn't visit the site often though, ask a question, get emailed a response.

But he does use the site regulary. 90% of his posts are in a funny picture thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭28064212

They are two entirely different models. Receiving a notification email is a 'push' model, checking My Threads is a 'pull' model. Saying one is better than the other, or that one is the wrong way to use the site, is utter nonsense

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    They are two entirely different models. Receiving a notification email is a 'push' model, checking My Threads is a 'pull' model. Saying one is better than the other, or that one is the wrong way to use the site, is utter nonsense

Well said.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

For the last 2 months you have just been posting pictures in the atheism humour thread and a handful other queries. Are you just getting emails about people posting pictures? Why not check the 'my threads' tab instead?

I don't get it. Ya ya ya people are different.
    It's adding an extra step to a simple process though.
    I check my mail twice a day but boards more if I'm posting in a thread.

You actually went looking for what I post? :eek:

I use Mozilla Thunderbird for checking my emails. It stays in the system tray and it prompts me if there are any unread emails. It's far easier than constantly checking back to a webpage.

I totally disagree with you. Your comments are unhelpful

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Made a post today, successful on first attempt, and no delay with it sending.

EDIT: Same with this post ...... no delay or other problem.

Daring to hope my problem is fixed. :)

It seems my posting problem has been resolved.

I have made a few posts since and except for the occasional slight delay nothing amiss and all posts succeeded.

Thanks for correcting this. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Seems it's just as well I disabled all mails on here years ago. I get enough mails I ignore without having more, although it's probably a useful feature for those that visit and post far less regularly than the likes of me.

I started to receive email notifications again this morning, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭manna452121

My e-mails are back also.Thanks to everyone for their hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

Still no notifications for me.

Me neither. I only have e-mail notifications enabled for PMs. Got a PM today and didn't receive a mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

TheBody wrote: »
    Still no notifications for me.

A fix for emails is being rolled out on a phased basis. Emails should be back fully for all users at some point next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

A fix for emails is being rolled out on a phased basis. Emails should be back fully for all users at some point next week.

Thanks Ronan!! Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This is a problem that has happened in the past but on the touch site for the last few days, a thread won't move to a new page until there is more than one post on that page. Not sure if I'm explaining that correctly, but I can see on a thread that there's a new post. When I click into it, it brings me to the second-last page and I don't have the option to move to the newest page until a second post is made on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

This is a problem that has happened in the past but on the touch site for the last few days, a thread won't move to a new page until there is more than one post on that page. Not sure if I'm explaining that correctly, but I can see on a thread that there's a new post. When I click into it, it brings me to the second-last page and I don't have the option to move to the newest page until a second post is made on it.
    I think that's when there are deleted posts in the thread, it happens to me for one specific thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭manna452121

E-mails not working again,I got some over the weekend.No panic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

E-mails not working again,I got some over the weekend.No panic.

Mine have gotten worse, adverts.ie has also started acting up, with notifications about threads and ads from days ago coming in 4 days later, some repeatedly and more than before not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Check your spam folder if you're missing notification emails, all mine were in there, working fine now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is search broken, or working badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

The little preview of your avatar hasn't worked for me in quite some time, even before the server attack. Is it just me or is this a site wide problem?

It's this one I'm talking about:-

29qe2d3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I can see your Avatar just fine.

378691.png

Can you reach www.b-static.net?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

Yeah, that one works fine, but I'm referring to the one thats at the top right of the screen that you can click on for the options etc.

If I click on that link you posted it gives me a 404 error;-

Code: NoSuchBucket
    BucketName: www.b-static.net
    RequestId: DC0F15A9B6B1DA37
    HostId: /awnsvojgyUeEo9gtHvBuVQQbKezSBSSMI9rUXvqBSyXjvA7/obrg/cHnOCNnyfomEPb1yL0hSY=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

pad e wrote: »
    Yeah, that one works fine, but I'm referring to the one thats at the top right of the screen that you can click on for the options etc.

If I click on that link you posted it gives me a 404 error;-

Code: NoSuchBucket
    BucketName: www.b-static.net
    RequestId: DC0F15A9B6B1DA37
    HostId: /awnsvojgyUeEo9gtHvBuVQQbKezSBSSMI9rUXvqBSyXjvA7/obrg/cHnOCNnyfomEPb1yL0hSY=

When I click Dav's link for b-static.net I get the same 404 error and text.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'm gonna have one of the lads take a look at this tomorrow morning, so I'll come back to you then pad e and see if we can figure it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement