Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Major tax fraud linked to the registration of luxury cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How is using auto diesel kinda illegal.

The suggestion of using green is, im rural also and is alot using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Is this not nearly yesterdays news?

If they're bringing in water charges surely motor tax will be reduced back to reasonable levels...surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Lads, as these cars were seized doesn't that mean that unless all outstanding penalties are paid then these cars won't go for auction. Instead they'll be crushed. Now that's a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Lads, as these cars were seized doesn't that mean that unless all outstanding penalties are paid then these cars won't go for auction. Instead they'll be crushed. Now that's a crime.

Not really,
    I remember an ST220 was impounded for vrt non payment. The owner got certain time to sort it and never did, The car was converted to a Traffic car and am sure many of you faw it in your rear view mirrors. 03-D I think it was.

My point being there could be lots of M3's and M5's etc. patrolling our roads one of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

vectra wrote: »
    My point being there could be lots of M3's and M5's etc. patrolling our roads one of these days.
    Never going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Never going to happen.

Didn't the cops get one of those bulletproof BMWs that was seized (probably by CAB) from the Dundon gang in Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Delighted for them!
    Jail and a hefty tax bill

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

Better sell my 1.6tdi 911 before the next nct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Wait till they twig all the LPG converted 350z car vans running on vat reclaimable forklift gas

Oh I've gone and done it now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

The only fraud here is been pepertrated by the government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyone mention water charges yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this not nearly yesterdays news?

If they're bringing in water charges surely motor tax will be reduced back to reasonable levels...surely?

^^^^
    Anyone mention water charges yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 neto

it always surprises me how quickly sellers adapt to emerging market information

2003 530d individual mtec listed on DoneDeal 3 hours ago

"very clean car, Not down as 520 on the book" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Said something on the 9 o'clock news there that AGS are looking into large number of Range Rovers who are also under declared along with Mercs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

BarryD wrote: »
    - you hit the road haulage industry and push up other costs in shops etc., that way.

I'd imagine the haulage industry would be delighted. They would not have to pay 4.5k to tax each vehicle anymore.
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Delighted for them!
    Jail and a hefty tax bill

This..... I just can't get over this sort of thing.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

The irish car tax system is fraud in itself,

Government lackies cruise around with 0.00 printed on their tax discs while jo so has a lien of 52 to 1500 on his
    Another point is safety tax bands favour deathtrap cars m5 v micra head on take your pick
    And whats all this tax spent on? Roads , nope it goes into the coffers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Hoffmans wrote: »

Not even, you might want to sit down when you find out.

Government lackies cruise around with 0.00 printed on their tax discs while jo so has a lien of 52 to 1500 on his
    Another point is safety tax bands favour deathtrap cars m5 v micra head on take your pick

That's another aspect self-righteous 'tax compliant' boardsies do not acknowledge. Even to tax an old beater of a 2002 Mondeo is the guts of 700 quid and therefore less well off families are piling their young children into the back of 1.0 litre K11 Micra's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

BarryD wrote: »
    Increase tax on fuel? Two or three things come to mind:

- you put greater costs onto law abiding rural folk, as they inevitably have to drive further to access normal things like shops, schools, jobs. Public transport ain't an option in most places as there is none and what there is here & there, is being eroded.

- some rural folk will use green diesel. We've had diesel motors since 2003, use auto diesel but never been checked once in that time.

- you hit the road haulage industry and push up other costs in shops etc., that way.

Why the **** does everything revolve around rural folk?
    Move to the big schmoke if it's cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

kona wrote: »
    A idiot tax in this country aimed at politicians and the like who make these laws would yield more than catching some lad driving a m3 paying 2l tax.

Remember the lad is still being bent over for 710 a year if he's mental enough to pay it upfront.

Indeed. I'd much rather they go after the many people (mainly outside Dublin) who never pay any motor tax

Did a check in a 4 star hotel car park in Mayo a few years ago (to kill some time) and of the pre '08 Mayo reg cars less than 1 in 10 had valid tax :rolleyes:

No tax should carry a fixed fine of 3 years penalty tax. Enforce this heavily for a few months nationwide and the state will get a billion in extra revenue that could go towards areas where the money is badly needed. Better still of course is tax on fuel and save the money we spend on a thousand civil servants who work in the area of motor tax :)

• Advertisement

Do you think government cars should pay tax to the government or something?

:confused:

Also, the safety argument doesn't really stand up. The co2 tax means many premium cars can be taxed for under €300 a year. Even large family cars can be taxed for peanuts too. 2008 is a long time ago, co2 taxed cars will fall into small money soon. (The cynic/realist in me says they will jack up those rates eventually as something like 90% of cars these days are band A or B)
    You can buy €1000 cars with 5 star NCAP ratings anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

All this case proves is that people are willing to tax cars up to a certain amount. Its all about the law of diminishing return. If the tax was lower on larger engine cars then more people like myself would be tax cars that are currently off the road due to the high tax costs.

2.0L tax for three months = €200

3.0L tax for three months = €422

Its like the tax rates are just figures pulled out of the sky.

Do you think government cars should pay tax to the government or something?

:confused:

Also, the safety argument doesn't really stand up. The co2 tax means many premium cars can be taxed for under €300 a year. Even large family cars can be taxed for peanuts too. 2008 is a long time ago, co2 taxed cars will fall into small money soon. (The cynic/realist in me says they will jack up those rates eventually as something like 90% of cars these days are band A or B)
    You can buy €1000 cars with 5 star NCAP ratings anyway.

How does it not stand up? Many people cannot afford post 2008 cars and require a car of a sufficient size for their family within a minimal budget. The fact that most older cars cost more to tax than they are worth (which is farcical in itself) rules them out and therefore they are stuck with a situation not indifferent to motoring under a communist regime.

You mention most 5 star NCAP cars being available for a thousand euro. You fail to acknowledge that car safety has come on even further since then and the 5 star cars of a decade ago are barely four star today.

Co2 tax also is not giveaway cheap. The cars we have in Band A (under 100 g/km) are tax free in other countries. The only reason we think anything up to €390 is 'for nothing' is because we are being swindled by motor tax and have been for quite a while. It is just another thing that this cowardly government couldn't give an arse about changing and continued as is from Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

what will happen to all these cars? scrapped? given to guards as patrol cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. I'd much rather they go after the many people (mainly outside Dublin) who never pay any motor tax

Did a check in a 4 star hotel car park in Mayo a few years ago (to kill some time) and of the pre '08 Mayo reg cars less than 1 in 10 had valid tax :rolleyes:

No tax should carry a fixed fine of 3 years penalty tax. Enforce this heavily for a few months nationwide and the state will get a billion in extra revenue that could go towards areas where the money is badly needed. Better still of course is tax on fuel and save the money we spend on a thousand civil servants who work in the area of motor tax :)

I'm surprised that they haven't gone the way of the uk- if your motor tax expires at the end of March, for example, and the records show that you haven't renewed or submitted a SORN then you'll automatically get a fine in the post at the start of April.

Co2 tax also is not giveaway cheap.

Yes it is. A massive 151 reg BMW 5-series (worth €60,000) costs €200 to tax

A '92 1l Micra (worth €200) also costs €200 to tax

Ridiculous.

unkel wrote: »
    Yes it is. A massive 151 reg BMW 5-series (worth €60,000) costs €200 to tax

A '92 1l Micra (worth €200) also costs €200 to tax

Ridiculous.

€200 is more like £30.00 on similar emission cars across the water.

If anything €200 is what should be a flat fee and be applicable to most cars. We should not have to pay much more for tax of a vehicle in a day when a car is a given right to many.

Or even a €0 flat fee for all cars :)

Add about €0.30 to a litre of fuel and let he who pollutes most pay most tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

kona wrote: »
    Why the **** does everything revolve around rural folk?

That's where real Irish people are.

There is a case for some adjustment of the tax situation re pre 2008 and following that adjustment there should be an enforcement blitz so that the law abiding are not treated like eejits.

• Advertisement

How does it not stand up? Many people cannot afford post 2008 cars and require a car of a sufficient size for their family within a minimal budget. The fact that most older cars cost more to tax than they are worth (which is farcical in itself) rules them out and therefore they are stuck with a situation not indifferent to motoring under a communist regime.

You mention most 5 star NCAP cars being available for a thousand euro. You fail to acknowledge that car safety has come on even further since then and the 5 star cars of a decade ago are barely four star today.

Co2 tax also is not giveaway cheap. The cars we have in Band A (under 100 g/km) are tax free in other countries. The only reason we think anything up to €390 is 'for nothing' is because we are being swindled by motor tax and have been for quite a while. It is just another thing that this cowardly government couldn't give an arse about changing and continued as is from Fianna Fail.

5 star cars from 10 years ago are hardly deathtraps though. You'd swear poor people were dropping like flies from RTAs.
    We are not "other countries" either, some other European countries have relatively massive taxes on motoring and some have very low taxes. Every country has different ways of taxing citizens, just singling out tax on cars doesn't really tell much.
    I don't think low emission cars should pay €0 tax myself.
    I do agree that there is a tax gulf between certain pre 08 cars and certain post 08s, but I don't think motoring is just for an elite, it is possible to get decent cars here for not much money.

I'm paying €700 odd a year on mine, I use my car every day and drive a good bit. €2 to use the road network for a day doesn't strike me as extortion.

Advertisement