Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students and Staff can get free Office 365, 1TB (at eligible schools)

Options
  • 24-02-2015 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Microsoft announced yesterday that students worldwide can now take advantage of an offer previously limited to students in the US and get free Office 365 Education for Students.

This entitles you to install the latest versions of Office on up to 5 PCs / Macs and also up to 5 mobile devices (Android, iOS, Windows).

You get 1TB of storage by default, but might be able to leverage another Microsoft offer to boost that to at least 10 Terabyte of storage - although I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

Since some schools allow alumni to keep their college e-mail addresses, it might be worth checking out even if you are not currently attending that school / college. The offer is also opened to teachers and staff also.

The only problem with the offer is that Microsoft doesn't seem to have published a list of the qualifying schools or colleges yet, so your mileage may vary.

Source:
    Microsoft Office 365 Blog.

News Links (TechKnow Ireland):
    Students to get free Office 365 and upgrade to Unlimited Storage
    TIP: How to get unlimited cloud storage on OneDrive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I just tried email addresses from a few of the Irish universities/HEIs and it said they weren't "yet" on the list of eligible institutions. Will be great if it's taken up, but I suspect there'll be misgivings from the IT heads, who have to meet all sorts of compliance targets for networks security that will become more difficult if this takes off. As it is, I'm surprised just how much stuff I can "see" on my institution's network by using my personal OneDrive account. Basically any network resource — shared folders, etc. — that I add as a networked drive to my office PC (I have a staff account, admittedly; I don't know if this could be done from a student profile).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Cheers I signed up for unlimited as I already had office 365. TBH, I only have it for the storage and because I heard it was going to be unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

Says UCD has been turned off by the institution. If anyone finds a work around would be grateful, was about to cave and buy a monthly sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anyone in UCC knows if this works for email addresses there?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

caycro wrote: »
    Says UCD has been turned off by the institution. If anyone finds a work around would be grateful, was about to cave and buy a monthly sub.

Same as NUI maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Corholio wrote: »
    Anyone in UCC knows if this works for email addresses there?

tried it with my ucc umail address, no dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

DO you know if this will be for a limited time (EG the cloud storage will only be available for 2 years)? I have a US university email address which should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

caycro wrote: »
    s982102 wrote: »
    Same as NUI maynooth.

I wonder is it worth sending off an e-mail to the IT departments - they mightn't be aware that the offer is available.

(Although more likely they're worried about non-IT department issued cloud storage).

DO you know if this will be for a limited time (EG the cloud storage will only be available for 2 years)? I have a US university email address which should work.
    The Microsoft blog seems to say "If you are eligible, you can use the plan until you graduate or are no longer enrolled at a qualified school. Student eligibility may be re-verified at any time. At expiration, the Office applications enter a reduced-functionality mode, which means documents can be viewed but it isn’t possible to edit or create new documents."

You can probably re-activate it with a normal Office 365 Sub (or buy a cheap tablet, the kind of which have been floating around Bargain Alerts recently, that also have a years Office 365 Sub included).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Im pretty sure NUIG has had that offer for ages, or at least very similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

DCU turned off aswell.

DCU turned off aswell.
    Shame. That's UCD, DCU and NUI Maynooth that are out.

NUI Galway is 'possibly' in.

Waiting to hear from anyone from Trinity or any of the Institutes of Technology.

If they're not eligible, then it's probably best for the BA to be marked expired - as it may not yet be active or available in Ireland

Mods, could you help with that, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

TCD turned off as well, disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

University of limerick works. Ty op

seems to be a NUI problem then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If you have some form of microsoft college email try:
    Settings(little gear icon)->Office 365 Setting and along the left click Software

Should be something about installing office there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

My OneDrive seems to be 1Tb anyways??

TheDriver wrote: »
    My OneDrive seems to be 1Tb anyways??

did you buy one of the cheap tablets?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Shame. That's UCD, DCU and NUI Maynooth that are out.

NUI Galway is 'possibly' in.

Waiting to hear from anyone from Trinity or any of the Institutes of Technology.

If they're not eligible, then it's probably best for the BA to be marked expired - as it may not yet be active or available in Ireland

Mods, could you help with that, please.

I assumed everywhere had availed of it, I'm surprised to see so many can't access it. It does work in Ireland though. We had microsoft reps in a few weeks ago doing demonstrations.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the college email provider, there's maybe some bargaining going on? TCD email was hosted by gmail when I was there, and I see someone mentioned it can't be used. Whereas the IT is microsoft. Anyone know who NUIM/UCC/UCD are with?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

did you buy one of the cheap tablets?
    Ah that's it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AmilcarAlho

DIT working, will try the upgrade to unlimited later. Thanks OP

kc90 wrote: »
    I assumed everywhere had availed of it, I'm surprised to see so many can't access it. It does work in Ireland though. We had microsoft reps in a few weeks ago doing demonstrations.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the college email provider, there's maybe some bargaining going on? TCD email was hosted by gmail when I was there, and I see someone mentioned it can't be used. Whereas the IT is microsoft. Anyone know who NUIM/UCC/UCD are with?

sounds about right. UCC are with gmail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

DIT working, will try the upgrade to unlimited later. Thanks OP
    I'll be signing up for a course in a few weeks in DIT :D

Phew. Glad it's working for some. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

sounds about right. UCC are with gmail.

This offer won't work with Gmail so?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭thegift06

works for me on UCD account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

Had a look at setting it up for our school but the institution has to pay a per student fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

Works for NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭creambun

Thank op i got in with the waterford institute login

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

UCD has had this since September... Just go through this link and you should be able to get everything. I think it launched September 14th, and I paid 70e for it on September 10th... :(

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/office365/

Advertisement