Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super XV 2015 General Discussion Thread

Options
  • 06-01-2015 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭

**Kicking off Friday 13th :eek: February 2015

Welcome back to Super Rugby for 2015, where the New South Wales Waratahs will be looking to defend their title.

Fixtures
    Teams
    Tables
    Results

New Zealand conference

The New Zeland conference is always keenly fought, with some of the best matches coming from the local derbies, and this year the added incentive of trying to make the RWC squad. According to NZ coach Steve Hansen, and assuming no injuries, there are about 5 spots still up for grabs. If you are going to follow the NZ teams, here is one thing to look out for

The battle of the flyhalves

4 into 2 or 3 don’t go, so Cruden v Barrett v Carter v Slade will be intriguing. To my mind, Cruden has the hardest job, as he is the only one who is a pure 10, which means if he isn’t ranked 1st or 2nd by seasons end, he will be in trouble. The Crusaders have the option of starting Carter or Slade at 10, alternatively Carter was played at 12 by coach Blackadder last season, and Slade is a pretty handy fullback too. This is quite interesting, and Slade’s excellent goalkicking may well tip the scales in his favour.

BLUES

Pita Ahki, Josh Bekhuis, Dan Bowden, Luke Braid, Jimmy Cowan, Joe Edwards, Charlie Faumuina, Jamison Gibson-Park, Frank Halai, Bryn Hall, Simon Hickey, Jerome Kaino (capt), Ben Lam, Tevita Li, Steven Luatua, Keven Mealamu, George Moala, Hamish Northcott, Brendon O'Connor, James Parsons, Charles Piutau, Sam Prattley, Culum Retallick, Francis Saili, Peter Saili, Angus Ta'avao, Hayden Triggs, Patrick Tuipulotu, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Lolagi Visinia, Ihia West, Tony Woodcock.

Notable transfers out: Ma’a Nonu (Canes), Tom McCartney (Connacht)
    Notable transfers in: Jimmy Cowan (Gloucester), Ben Lam (Auckland ITM, Pat’s nephew)

1 new player to watch

Ihaia West – every year since Carlos Spencer left the Blues, they have struggled with finding a 10. I wrote the same thing last year, and once again in came true. West has a ton of natural ability, and with the other flyhalves Hickey & Bowden being solid but not more, the Blues will need West to go well.

CHIEFS

Michael Allardice, Johan Bardoul, Sam Cane, Aaron Cruden, Mike Fitzgerald, Hosea Gear, Mitchell Graham, Nathan Harris, Bryce Heem, Andrew Horrell, Tevita Koloamatangi, Michael Leitch, Anton Lienert-Brown, James Lowe, Pauliasi Manu, Tom Marshall, Rhys Marshall, Quentin MacDonald, Jamie MacIntosh, Damian McKenzie, Liam Messam, Charlie Ngatai, Sean Polwart, Brodie Retallick, Augustine Pulu, Liam Squire, Matt Symons, Seta Tamanivalu, Ben Tameifuna, Siate Tokolahi, Brad Weber, Sonny Bill Williams, Tim Nanai-Williams.

Notable transfers out: Bundee Aki (Connacht), Robbie Freuan (Crusaders)
    Notable transfers in: SBW (league), Hosea Gear (Toulouse)

1 new player to watch

Seta Tamanivalu - devastating midfield displays for Taranaki in the ITM cup, name-checked by no less than Steve Hansen as one to watch

HURRICANES

Mark Abbott, Vince Aso, Beauden Barrett, James Broadhurst, Dane Coles, Geoffrey Cridge, Chris Eves, Ben Franks, Callum Gibbins, Reggie Goodes, Willis Halaholo, Iopu Iopu-Aso, Cory Jane, Reynold Lee-Lo, Christian Lloyd, James Marshall, Motu Matu'u, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Ma'a Nonu, TJ Perenara, Matt Proctor, Ardie Savea, Julian Savea, John Schwalger, Brad Shields, Conrad Smith, Chris Smylie, Blade Thomson, Jeremy Thrush, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Victor Vito, Jason Woodward.

Notable transfers out: Jack Lam (Bristol, Pat’s cousin), Alapati Leiua (Wasps)
    Notable transfers in: Ma’a Nonu (Blues), Jason Woodward (Rebels)

1 new player to watch

Nehe Milner-Skudder - apparently a fullback in the mould of the likes of Cullen. No pressure now, son.

CRUSADERS

Scott Barrett, Dominic Bird, Daniel Carter, Wyatt Crockett, Israel Dagg, Mitchell Drummond, Andy Ellis, Kieran Fonotia, Owen Franks, Robbie Fruean, Ben Funnell, Willi Heinz, Nepo Laulala, Richie McCaw, Johnny McNicholl, Jone Macilai, Joe Moody, Nemani Nadolo, Tim Perry, Kieran Read, Ged Robinson, Luke Romano, Colin Slade, Jordan Taufua, Codie Taylor, Tom Taylor, Matt Todd, Jimmy Tupou, Luke Whitelock, Sam Whitelock.

Notable transfers out: Corey Flynn (Toulouse), Zac Guildford (Clermont)
    Notable transfers in: Ged Robinson (Highlanders), Robbie Freuan (Chiefs)

1 new player to watch

None really, so I’ll go with seeing whether Freuan can reach his potential with his cardiac issues hopefully a distant memory.

HIGHLANDERS

Alex Ainley, Kurt Baker, Marty Banks, Richard Buckman, Shane Christie, Liam Coltman, Ash Dixon, Elliot Dixon, Brendon Edmonds, Jason Emery, Gareth Evans, Malakai Fekitoa, Ma'afu Fia, Tom Franklin, Ross Geldenhuys, Kane Hames, John Hardie, Josh Hohneck, Nasi Manu, Waisake Naholo, Patrick Osborne, Hayden Parker, Dan Pryor, Mark Reddish, Trent Renata, Aaron Smith, Ben Smith, Lima Sopoaga, Pingi Tala'apitaga, Fumiaki Tanaka, Shaun Treeby, Joe Wheeler.

Notable transfers out: Brad Thorn (Leicester), Phil Burleigh (Edinburgh)
    Notable transfers in: Josh Hohneck (Chiefs), Ash Dixon (Canes)

1 new player to watch

Waisake Naholo - storming ITM cup season for Taranaki on the wing.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,016 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hoping youre going to do a season preview like you did last year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    hoping youre going to do a season preview like you did last year??

I might do, yeah. It's trying to muster up the enthusiasm for the 5 people or so on the forum who regularly watch the games :p

There's a bit of a pre-season to kick off first - you can never read much into these games (not unusual for Crusaders to lose all of them, and the Canes to come thru unscathed...), but they tend to unfortunately cause a few injuries.

I'll probably also cheat a bit by reading some of the other previews that come out in the next bit, as I'd be less up with the new talent promoted from the 2014 ITM cup.

If I don't get round to it, these should keep you going anyway

Season preview Crusaders & Canes

Season preview Blues & Highlanders

Another Canes preview

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

13th of February?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

I really think I'll watch some more games this year!

I really think I'll watch some more games this year!

Trust me, if you get the timing right during the 6N, you can watch rugby all day: the games start in NZ, and then follow the rising of the sun through eastern Australia, western Australia, South Africa and up into Europe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

That tends to be the problem, she doesn't like when i try watching rugby all day!

That tends to be the problem, she doesn't like when i try watching rugby all day!

saturday morning, give her the lie on ;)

super vx from 8:00 am onwards .... happy days!!!

she gets up at 10:00, oh hunny, why dont you go shopping.
    super xv on at 11:00 am... happier days!!!!

By request ;) - Highlanders Season Preview 2015

The Highlanders surprised everyone, including Swiwi, and probably even themselves (but not sydthebeat, who never doubted), by proving more than competitive in 2014, reaching the knockout stages before ultimately falling to the Sharks. A side hewn from solid teamplayers melded to the class of Smith & Smith, and with a breakout season from Malakai Fekitoa saw them record some memorable victories, none more so than their spanking of the Sharks at Durban. Ultimately their setpiece, especially the scrum, just wasn't good enough to go deeper into the tournament...

...and this is likely to be one of the issues in 2015 with not a single AB in their pack. However Kane Hames and Liam Coltman played pretty well at prop and hooker respectively (the latter even piquing Swiwi's AB interest), and Shane Christie and John Hardie (actively pursued by Scotland) are both good opensides. Setpiece parity is probably the best the Highlanders can hope for, but if they can manage that, they can hope for another good season.

Provided the injury curse doesn't strike (and it didn't in 2014), the Highlanders have a good backline, with capped internationals at 9, the dynamic Sopoaga at flyhalf and the better game management of Hayden Parker in reserve, Treeby and Fekitoa form a good midfield, and then solid finishers in Osborne & Buckman with the classy (and Munster-bound :pac:) Ben Smith at fullback. As highlighted earlier, new wing Waisake Naholo is one newby to watch.

If the cards fall right, the Highlanders can be competitive, but after an opening round bye they have a difficult start to the campaign (Crusaders, Reds, Chiefs, Waratahs, Canes) and they need minimal injuries to their star players.

Prediction: anywhere from fringe play-off contenders to mid-table fodder. But hopefully I'm wrong, and they go far!

thanks swiwi, great preview

yeah a repeat of last season (consolidation) is a goal i would imagine.
    completely agree that our set piece was our main stumbling block last year, and JJ has gone some way to addressing that by making numerous forward signings, although none really whom youd consider 'marquee'.
    4 new props in, probably Josh Hohneck the stand out coming in from the chiefs, though i expect Brendon Edmonds to be a bit of a surprise package. Pingi Tala’apitaga and Ross Geldenhuys make up the other 2, gledenhuys being the older journeyman.
    I have great expectations for dan pryor however. had 2 excellent games for the maoris in november and had a stand out ITM season has seen him get a second chance im sure he wont turn up his nose at.

its teh lock situation id be worried about. Alex Ainley is 33 and been around the block a long time it seems (cant say he rings any bells for me). Mark Reddish has higher level experience with 30 hurricanes caps, and at 29 hopefully is hitting his prime, still, 6 5" aint exactly massive for a lock......

naholo is simply an excellent finisher, and although buckman had a good 2014, he will be well challanged for his starting spot.

teams will be aware of the threat of fekito this season and will plan to negate him, which will affect our results... he was priceless last year.
    im hoping for better things from sopoaga this season. he spent quite a bit of last year injured, and hayden parker deputised well. this will be his "fekitoa" year i hope

im going to predict 3rd place NZ team, but just falling short of play offs battling with canes, reds and force for 6th spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Can't say I'd be quite as optimistic for 'landers but with the Smiths and Fekitoa they will get a number of good results.

Canes could implode with the influence of Nonu back but C Smith might negate that a bit.

I would suggest fourth of NZ teams and lower mid-table.

• Advertisement

Morf wrote: »
    Can't say I'd be quite as optimistic for 'landers but with the Smiths and Fekitoa they will get a number of good results.

Canes could implode with the influence of Nonu back but C Smith might negate that a bit.

I would suggest fourth of NZ teams and lower mid-table.

On paper I agree with you Morf - but that's what I thought last season, and they played as a team and did better than expected.

As to Nonu, I actually think he'll be fine - for the first time in a long time, I don't think he's 100% guaranteed an AB squad jersey, with SBW, Ryan Crotty and Fekitoa all valid options at 12. Obviously, he's a lot of credit stored in the AB bank, so he'd need a pretty poor season combined with the other 3 all going very well to miss out. Like every season I can ever remember, the Canes look to have a very good backline on paper (Perenara, Barrett, Savea, Nonu, Smith, Jane, and a 15), and also like every season, it will be a question of whether their tight 5 is up to the job. If the Canes stay injury-free (their depth is not so great), they are potentially play-off contenders. I'm hoping Victor Vito stays injury free, and Shields and Savea play to their potential: Shields still only 23, but after being an AB squad player, he's never moved further on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »

its teh lock situation id be worried about. Alex Ainley is 33 and been around the block a long time it seems (cant say he rings any bells for me). Mark Reddish has higher level experience with 30 hurricanes caps, and at 29 hopefully is hitting his prime, still, 6 5" aint exactly massive for a lock......

I know Alex fairly well. He is a good solid journeyman player who will give you 100% all day. He has played in Italy, Japan and the UK. This is his first Super rugby contract. Very tough and abrasive player, sometimes a bit too abrasive. He celebrated his 50th match for Tasman with a try and a red card. I'm hoping for a big season from him. It won't be anything spectacular, just lots of hard work.

Sounds good yeah_right, effective and solid is what you want to be hearing about your locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Now I've talked him up, he better not have a stinker of a season!!

Who to support this year? I'd like a Glasgow-esque team please. Throw the ball about, make mistakes but every so often score brilliant tries, happy to keep the ball alive even to their own detriment sometimes.

Will try to actually see some games this year. My effort last year was poxy.

Who to support this year? I'd like a Glasgow-esque team please. Throw the ball about, make mistakes but every so often score brilliant tries, happy to keep the ball alive even to their own detriment sometimes.

Will try to actually see some games this year. My effort last year was poxy.

OK: Cheetahs for SA, probably Force for Aussie (if last season to go by), Canes for NZ.

The Canes are due a big season, their only decent result to date has been 2nd place in the final in the mist back a few seasons, so maybe a good bet. Beauden Barrett is mesmerising on his day.

But the Cheetahs are time-friendly for Ireland. Their defence was rubbish last season, though, but they do have Cornal Hendricks and Willie Le Roux out wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Swiwi. wrote: »
    OK: Cheetahs for SA, probably Force for Aussie (if last season to go by), Canes for NZ.

The Canes are due a big season, their only decent result to date has been 2nd place in the final in the mist back a few seasons, so maybe a good bet. Beauden Barrett is mesmerising on his day.

But the Cheetahs are time-friendly for Ireland. Their defence was rubbish last season, though, but they do have Cornal Hendricks and Willie Le Roux out wide.
    Really looking forward to watching the canes this season, arguably the best back line in Super Rugby. Plus if Vito can stay fit and Ardie Savea continues to improve along with Coles and Franks they have a serious team. Maybe a bit light at lock.

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to watching the canes this season, arguably the best back line in Super Rugby. Plus if Vito can stay fit and Ardie Savea continues to improve along with Coles and Franks they have a serious team. Maybe a bit light at lock.

Thrush has turned out a bit better than expected and Broadhurst is ok too. They were hurt by injuries last season but on paper they could go very well. Probably the biggest underachievers of the nz franchises (Cullen, lomu, umaga etc etc but never any silverware)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm looking forward to Swiwi's preview of the Australian sides personally.

I'm looking forward to Swiwi's preview of the Australian sides personally.

Kiwi_knock is the resident expert for the Aussie franchises. Great previews last season which turned out generally very accurate. My breath is bated but I haven't seen him posting recently.

Probably Tahs & Brumbies again for their best hopes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like the AB's will go through a player management scheme with most of them missing the first couple of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Great write ups once again Swiwi.
    Unfortunetly I am now back home here so won't get to any matches this year.
    Thoroughly enjoyed going to watch the crusaders. Atmosphere was pretty poor but the matches were quite entertaining.

Looking forward to seeing how the highlanders go again this year. They won't be a surprise anymore but I'm sure they will get plenty of positive results but a lot depends on the platform the forwards can provide for their backs. Hopefully we see more exciting back play from Fekitoa and ben smith (please please come to munster :) )

Crusaders will be in the final four once again I'd say. Just so consistent in the competition and have a very impressive forward pack. Interesting to see how nandolo goes this year after his tremendous efforts last season.

Chiefs will be very interesting this year. Lot of pressure on cruden to perform with his all black place under threat and he now has SBW on his outside.

Blues and hurricanes should both be very competitive but are possibly still prone to not performing on the big occasion. The canes backline is very impressive so hopefully we see some great play from them.
    Really looking forward to seeing if west can make the step up from itm cup and fully establish himself as the blues number 10. Very exciting player.

Predictions, but will be a highly competitive conference.

Crusaders
    Chiefs
    Canes
    Landers
    Blues

And out of the australia and SA teams, the one I'm most excited to see will be the Queensland reds. Have done quite well with there signings this year and a lot of players have points to prove with World Cup spots on the line.
    Think Adam Thomson will be there best signing. Brings a bit of bite and steel to their forwards.

Also, very interesting to see how NSW go in defending their title and how CHeika manages both jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm going to be in NZ in mid-late February so will be going to see the Highlanders v Crusaders in Dunedin. Having watched so many of these games on TV it's going to be cool to actually see one in person :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

When are the other 4 nations taking part this year going to be added to the write up? Would love to hear something about thee Japanese team from you guys since I know nothing about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

When are the other 4 nations taking part this year going to be added to the write up? Would love to hear something about thee Japanese team from you guys since I know nothing about them.

They're not in until next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    They're not in until next year

Really? Oh, I should pay more attention then.

Still need Aus and SA added though.

Really? Oh, I should pay more attention then.

Still need Aus and SA added though.

season doesnt kick off for another 4 weeks ;)

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Looks like the AB's will go through a player management scheme with most of them missing the first couple of games.

Aye, but nothing like the shìtstorm of the 2007 season. I think the coaches have the liberty to choose 3 matches during the course of the season for certain players. Some like Dan Carter, who barely played last year with sabbatical then injury, are just going to lace up every week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Was it 5 or 6 matches in 07 they missed or more?

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Was it 5 or 6 matches in 07 they missed or more?

7 weeks. Or about half the regular season. It was the stupidest decision ever: broadcasters, fans etc were annoyed, and in the end it gave South African rugby a much needed boost, with a Super Rugby title to the Bulls from which many of their best players came, and ultimately a RWC title.

Advertisement