Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed Bag comp interest & Longest tail

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If ya want one. Here is last years thread for those interested. Just do the same this year. Post yer name here and come the time, if the interest is enough, we'll kick it off.

Might increase some numbers though. Some are too easy got, and might include some deer. Doesn't matter if you cannot fill the table. Wouldn't be much fun if everyone could.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Last year was fun and since ive upgraded ill be getting more rabbits and mabye the odd fox... Im in anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

throw me down we see how we get on anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭shoot to kill

me too, young lab flying and she'll be needing loads of work. up the anti on the vermon we all need to do our bit. just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ecr

This sounds interesting I'm in it it goes ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

Ill drop my name in too please

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Padd2

ill give it a propper go this year :) seen as i have time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Throw me up too. Sick of shooting things and not getting a trophy for it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

I'm in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

Throw me in too. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Buggs

Count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

I'm up for it. Hard to belive it's that time again !

Boiled-egg wrote: »
    I'm up for it. Hard to belive it's that time again !
    You can sing that. Only for shotie starting this thread i'd never have copped it.
    ................ not getting a trophy for it :P
    The lads last year were nearly not getting one either. It was a cluster <insert expletive> . I ordered the trophies when the comp ended. Between loosing my order, taking the money for it twice & having to sort that, then ringing me to tell me the ones i ordered 6 weeks ago (at this stage) were no longer available, and then finally getting the wrong ones delivered i was well pissed, and it looked bad. Not only the trophies, but the constant excuses for someone else's mistakes.

So this year i'm not going with the names on them. I'll order well in advance, get the title done (you know "Boards.ie Mixed Bag Comp 2014/22015") and have them delivered. Then when the comp is over & the winner is announced i'll bring them to a local engraver to have the name engraved. Well that's the plan.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ecr

Cass wrote: »
    You can sing that. Only for shotie starting this thread i'd never have copped it.

The lads last year were nearly not getting one either. It was a cluster <insert expletive> . I ordered the trophies when the comp ended. Between loosing my order, taking the money for it twice & having to sort that, then ringing me to tell me the ones i ordered 6 weeks ago (at this stage) were no longer available, and then finally getting the wrong ones delivered i was well pissed, and it looked bad. Not only the trophies, but the constant excuses for someone else's mistakes.

So this year i'm not going with the names on them. I'll order well in advance, get the title done (you know "Boards.ie Mixed Bag Comp 2014/22015") and have them delivered. Then when the comp is over & the winner is announced i'll bring them to a local engraver to have the name engraved. Well that's the plan.

Saves a lot of hassle for ya goodstuff

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nowwerehurlin

Mise freisin !

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Stick my name down also

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sniperviper

Stick my name down too please

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭shotie

If ya want one. Here is last years thread for those interested. Just do the same this year. Post yer name here and come the time, if the interest is enough, we'll kick it off.

Might increase some numbers though. Some are too easy got, and might include some deer. Doesn't matter if you cannot fill the table. Wouldn't be much fun if everyone could.

looking at last years table the pheasant and woodcock are low maybe up them to 5 or a bit higher as every one (well a lot) are/is going to be shooting/hunting pheasant and woodcock any way come november .just my thoughts

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

Game | Amount |
    Pheasant |
    |
    Duck |
    |
    Snipe |
    |
    Woodcock |
    |
    Wood Pigeon |
    |
    Fox |
    |
    Magpie |
    |
    Crow |
    |
    Grey Crow |
    |
    Grey Squirrel |
    |
    Mink |
    |
    Rabbit |
    |
    Doe/Hind |
    |
    Stag/Buck/Prícket |
    |
    Total |
    |

1. Too much?
    2. Too much of certain species?
    3. Not enough?
    4. Right total, but wrong amounts?

Also thinking of introducing a point system, but only for certain game. IOW getting a pre-selected species, in any amount, is extra points? No one will know this only me. I'll take part, but be excluded from the prize (like that is a worry based on last years result :D).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Forgot I had no dog this year :(
    It'll pure luck that I run into a pheasant or woodcock.
    But I feel lucky so cass out wild boar on it aswell :) jk

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭strangles

Think 8 deer might be a bit of an ask for most lads on here as most just shoot a couple for their own freezer in the season ...........

I understand and agree. I normally shoot between 3 to 10 a year.

However the comp is designed to challenge lads, not give them a target that can be easily filled. Like Dodderanglers's comments on pheasants & woodcock (plus his Boar suggestion). I'm light on foxes, rabbits and duck. So these are a problem for me. I have wild pigs/boar though and plenty of deer. So whats good for one will not be for another.

It just seems each year it's easier for people to fill certain quotas so my thinking is give everyone something that is a non runner. If they fill the rest, and others do too, then it'll push you to find and fill the hard species. Plus it's all a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Buggs

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

Game | Amount |
    Pheasant |
    |
    Duck |
    |
    Snipe |
    |
    Woodcock |
    |
    Wood Pigeon |
    |
    Fox |
    |
    Magpie |
    |
    Crow |
    |
    Grey Crow |
    |
    Grey Squirrel |
    |
    Mink |
    |
    Rabbit |
    |
    Doe/Hind |
    |
    Stag/Buck/Prícket |
    |
    Total |
    |

Not that it makes much difference but the total is 151 not 141.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

Count me in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

Count me in :)

I'm in again

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭shotie

not having a dig or anything cass .just going by last year final table you can see what quotas where filled by most lads. take rabbits for example only 2 lads filled the quota for them so maybe 30 might be too much id leave them at 15.
    id leave the below at something like you have done, as they where the most filled reached quotas by lads last year
    Pheasant 7
    Duck 10
    Snipe 10
    Woodcock 7

id leave the rest the same then as last years table as lads found it hard to reach these quotas
    such as below

Wood Pigeon 15
    Fox 7
    Magpie 8
    Crow 15
    Grey Crow 5
    Grey Squirrel 3
    Mink 3
    Rabbit 15

im just going on what i seen from last years table .just to note im happy to go with what every the quotas are and cant wait:D just would hate to see lads loose interest half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

Here is my proposal for numbers:

Pheasant 5
    Duck 7
    Snipe 8
    Woodcock 8

I wouldn't have great numbers of rabbits and woodpigeon and grey squirrel and I don't shoot deer either but like alot of lads here some will have alot of one and none of the other I suppose.I'm happy with all the rest to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SureHowBad

Count me in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

count me in please

Advertisement